[Q] How to I map the genius button to *Google Voice Search* or

Search This thread

biomade55

Feb 19, 2011
Somewhere in So.Cal
Let me start by stating the I have perm root with -s off.
I am using the custom rom Virtuous Affinity.

With that said, I know that this rom has Google Search mapped to the genius button. I have looked at the threads about mapping the genius button to google search. When you press the button, I can then go to the voice search but I want to by pass this extra step.

I would like to map the button to Google Voice Search.

I have not been able to find any threads that discuss and detail what to enter for key 183.

And while we are at it, what would one enter for any of the other voice command apps like Vlingo or DragonGo!

BIG thanks in advance.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I'm running Virtuous Affinity, and this button is mapped to nothing.
When you long-press the button, if you have more than one responder, you get a dialog with choice between the responders. And in this dialog there is a checkbox "Use by default for this action". Press it before you select Voice Search, and next time there will be no more dialog. Until you install another responder, that is.
When you're looking for something, it's useful to start with basics before you dig astray.

[edit] You might be talking about short-pressing the button? In that case, it's indeed Google Search, as it's the default for any Android ROM besides T-Mobile specific one. I'd suggest leaving it as is, and using long-press mapping functionality, since it's present in all the apps you're talking about anyway, and it's native in Android, requiring no hard work. But in case you want to remap the button - it's possible, just a lot of unnecessary pain - to the point of editing framework and such, since you want the long-press functionality initiated by short-press. I saw it done on AOSP/CM ROMs, but it's not that easy in Sense. Most likely that's the reason you don't find anything related to it.

Last edited:

biomade55

Feb 19, 2011
Somewhere in So.Cal
Good Answer!

I'm running Virtuous Affinity, and this button is mapped to nothing.
When you long-press the button, if you have more than one responder, you get a dialog with choice between the responders. And in this dialog there is a checkbox "Use by default for this action". Press it before you select Voice Search, and next time there will be no more dialog. Until you install another responder, that is.
When you're looking for something, it's useful to start with basics before you dig astray.

Thanks so much for the reply - but I would like to know what to put in the key mapping file, cause that is just the kinda girl I am :eek:,
so if anyone else has done a mod to the key/button mapping file, I am still open for suggestions...

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
You can't. No matter what you put in the mapping file, you won't get the result you're looking for - because, as I already said, the system has button functionality selection built into framework, and the keymap file only selects from that functionality - nothing else. To change it, AOSP/CM ROMs change the framework (which is easy for them - since the framework is recompiled for the build). Sense ROMs will need a framework change too, but since Sense framework is precompiled, you'll need to baksmali the framework, find the right place to alter it (based on the AOSP/CM code location), insert smali code for what you want done (create another function that is capable of launching a user-selected intent, loaded from somewhere), and smali the framework back.

So if you're that kind of girl, start looking into apktool, dex2jar, JD-GUI and CM git ;)

Last edited:

nuclearbroccoli

Jul 20, 2011
Calgary
You could download button shortcut from the market and use it to change the button. Easier than messing with the system anyway.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
It's ok, as you can see by my first post in this thread, it took me some time to understand too.

biomade55

Feb 19, 2011
Somewhere in So.Cal
Appreciate the help!

Again, thanks for the help. I don't think I will be going that deep into the code to alter it so you can map voice search to the genius buttons - well not any time soon as I have too much on my plate already ;)

crazykas

Jun 11, 2011
Japan
Google Pixel 8
Let me start by stating the I have perm root with -s off.
I am using the custom rom Virtuous Affinity.

With that said, I know that this rom has Google Search mapped to the genius button. I have looked at the threads about mapping the genius button to google search. When you press the button, I can then go to the voice search but I want to by pass this extra step.

I would like to map the button to Google Voice Search.

I have not been able to find any threads that discuss and detail what to enter for key 183.

And while we are at it, what would one enter for any of the other voice command apps like Vlingo or DragonGo!

BIG thanks in advance.

CM has this function under SITTINGS> INPUT > SEARCH KEY BEHAVIOR

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I believe the OP says in her first row she's using Virtuous Affinity, which is Sense 3.5 ROM.
And I believe I've mentioned CM ROMs having this function.
It won't help her, since she's not on CM. She won't even have "Input" sub-menu in Settings. And you should have read a bit before posting.

crazykas

Jun 11, 2011
Japan
Google Pixel 8
Got it

I believe the OP says in her first row she's using Virtuous Affinity, which is Sense 3.5 ROM.
It won't help her, since she's not on CM. She won't even have "Input" sub-menu in Settings. And you should have read a bit before posting.

Sorry about that.I might wrong.I just said where she can find it if it is not on her current rom.Just that.Thank you for your advice.

Reactions: biomade55

biomade55

Feb 19, 2011
Somewhere in So.Cal

Yup, I missed the reference to CM and thus could not find the Input Sub-menu under settings.

Reactions: crazykas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got it

Sorry about that.I might wrong.I just said where she can find it if it is not on her current rom.Just that.Thank you for your advice.

Yup, I missed the reference to CM and thus could not find the Input Sub-menu under settings.