[MOD] Using Skyrocket on T-mobile/AWS Bands

Search This thread

SalTNutz

Dec 2, 2011
Armel,

I was having the same issue. Use the modified blaze radio with the rils removed. That will fix your issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Tinyguy

Sep 15, 2010
Iam currently running SKYICS ULCE2
I flashed one of your t-mobile modems, and inserted my t-mobile sim card.
My phone isn't recognizing the sim card, I am getting a (/) symbol on the notifications. Also I am unable to add a t-mobile APN because it says "Insert SIM card to access network services"
I know I am fully unlocked, help?

ilan2307

Feb 11, 2012
guys i am trying to flash t-mobile radios over ultimatum rom 2.1
and keep ending without a basseband

i.e in the options -->about menu it says Baseband :unknown

tried to take only mdm.bin file from your links and put it into an i777 cwm modem pack ,wile renaming mdm.bin--->modem.bin
same result

still no results ,any ideas ?

Humanio

Oct 8, 2010
Just to clarify if I want to use the Skyrocket on Tmobile can i flash either 989 or 727 roms provided I flash the appropriate Tmobile radios? Thanks!

mahanddeem

Nov 13, 2011
Is it correct that some said "If you unlocked the skyrocket , it would not work again on att&t LTE if you decide to go back to at&t service and your area has LTE " ????
Thanks

Shanghai.Knight

Feb 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi! Thanks so much for this thread. Very informative. I have read all the posts.

I just bought a Skyrocket, and would like to stick with the standard ROM for now, which I read should be fine. My main concern is with Battery life, stability and with turning off LTE. Is there any way in the stock rom to disable LTE? That was unclear from these posts.

My theory is that staying with Stock rom would give me the best stability and battery life. My HP tablet is what I use for playing with ICS and nightly builds, but I cannot afford downtime, hacking around with my phone. If disabling LTE is not possible in STOCK, I guess I need to research Juggernaut, SKYICE, Official CyanogenMod and TeamChopstics...

THANKS!

brck

Feb 22, 2011
good radios

I have read through this thread and the "CWM flashable modems" thread in the hercules forum ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426001 ) but I have a couple questions.

I'm running the latest nightlies of CM9 on the ATT i727 skyrocket and I'm on Tmobile currently.

Is anyone else having problems flashing most of these modems on cyanogenmod 9? I keep having "sim not inserted" messages after flashing. I wipe cache and dalvik before flashing the modem zips with CWM touch, but once I see the "sim not inserted" message I pretty much have to restore a nandroid backup, flashing a previously working modem doesn't get my radio working again.

So far the only two that have not caused "sim not inserted" errors are VK1 and LC8.

Those of you on the latest CM9 nightlies and the i727 on Tmobile, what modems are working for you?

EDIT: The Telus and Tmobile modems from this thread worked: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1705617

In Virginia I get 6 Mb down using the Tmobile modem and maybe 3 Mb down max with higher ping times with the Telus modem. Both burn through battery like crazy though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So a lot of people have been PM'ing me in regards to this matter.

There are also a couple of threads lingering around in the General section on both the t-mobile and skyrocket forums which brush on the topic but don't really go into the details.

I decided to post this here as a MOD.

Yes the Skyrocket will support HSPA+/3g on T-mobiles network. How do I know this? I had one and was using it on t-mobile with no problem.

There are a couple radios you can flash to get HSPA+ on the skyrocket:

T-mobile SGH-T989 KID: http://minus.com/mlupRDTvJ#1
    T-mobile SGH-T989 VK1: http://minus.com/mlupRDTvJ#4
    Telus KJ3: http://minus.com/mlupRDTvJ#2

Here is the Stock Skyrocket radio: http://minus.com/mlupRDTvJ#3

Depending on where you are located/what bands your operator uses I would assume one of these radios would work better than the other.

On a side note a lot of people have just "claimed" that the skyrocket doesn't pick up hspa+. This is not true, it does but you will have to figure out the right ROM/Kernel/Radio combination. I experienced intermittent connectivity on certain skyrocket kernels while running a T-mobile radio etc. Either way I ALWAYS had the ability to connect to hspa+. Most often I would get speeds of between 3-7mbps. I personally used VK1.

When it comes down to the bottom line though, the skyrocket is essentially the same device as the galaxy s2 but with LTE.

IF this helped please hit the thanks button!
    Thought I would validate what a lot of people were saying with some speed test screenies.
    I'm in NYC, so all reception is great. running the UCMC1 modem on CM10.1.2, Moretz 3.0.9. No t-mobile modems, or kernels and all is well :)

Fastest one is T-mobile LTE
    Second fastest is HSPA (Listed as Cell for some reason)
    Third is simply edge.
    How to Use Skyrocket with ICS on T-Mobile Bands

Guys, I've solved it, and by solved it I, of course, mean I used the solution from another phone, so all props go to original finder of the solution. Basically, we just use the T-Mobile Radios/RILs and flash them after installing whatever UCLD2 (or any other baseband ICS ROM) and VOILA! T-Mobile reception, mms, sms, calls, and of course, 4G/Edge. And of course, make sure you add the T-Mobile APN.

Goto Settings>Wireless and Network>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names>Hit Menu>Add
    Name: T-Mobile
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy:
    MMS port:
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    Authentication type:
    APN type:Internet+MMS

Here's the link for the conversion package: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426001

You want to download/flash the LB7 radio with ICS RILs.

PROOF: (To be fair, reception has always been this bad or worse in my apartment with all my phones.)
    screen_20120421_1940.jpg

Speedtest app confirms 4G speeds of 5Mbps/200Kbps (I think this is a known issue, but hey, at least it's working). No pics. Sorry.

EDIT: This is on Sky ICS UCLD2 ROM, but I don't see why it shouldn't work for all the others.
    This phone is essentially the T989 with an LTE radio added any way. It was created with the TMobile merger in mind, and was an AT&T handset that could use all of the available bands after the merger was complete. Same reason the T989 supports 850/1900 and is a TMobile device.

I've been able to get HSPA+ working on Tmo with my skyrocket using all of the radios listed, however I have noticed that the LTE radio stays turned ON. While it is obviously unable to connect to anything, it is polling for an LTE signal.
    This should not be the case, as when I use the Sky specific radios, the LTE radio "Parks" after it determines there is no LTE signal available.
    I can see it pulsing out at what I would venture to guess is maximum power every 8 seconds on the LTE band. (I've got some pretty nice RF testing equipment from my HAM days, not to mention cellular specific stuff from my tower contracting days)
    What I'm wondering, is if any one has tried and flash the T989 ROM on to the Sky Rocket and had success. My running theory is that the RIL is making some sort of call for an LTE specific request even if it is as simple as "Hello are you there" and it starts the LTE radio up but never shuts it off. I'm theorizing that the T989 rom which would have an RIL native to the radio sw being used may not make any such call, and therefore never activate the LTE portion.
    It would also give us the WiFi calling and what not.

Thoughts?
    Alright I did. Picked the ICS one. Still not getting hspa :( network connectivity seems to be the same as the blaze 4g modem. See screenshots.

Do I need to select a specific option from the service mode screen? I have chosen the network mode as GSM/HSPA which seems like the right option. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Ok I was able to get SKY ICS Rom Working with Blaze 4g. Changed Kernel to ULCF6. Getting some nice results but it varies from place to place. At one point was able to get 8mb dwn and 3mb up. [Location: Chicago]

Here's the thing though. I used a trick I found from another thread and this works for both my Galaxy Note and Skyrocket.

NOTE: You must be on TouchWiz. [something about their dailer.]

1. Must be on a tw rom
    2. Go to service mode by using *#2263#
    3. Go to wcdma per. and click on wcdma 850
    4. Signal bar will be replaced with a circle with a line thru it.
    5. While about 5-10 seconds. Your signal bars will return but you will have no 4g.
    6. Hit settings button, go back and click on wcdma all and 4g will come back.
    7. Do a speed test and profit.
    8. Every time you reboot you must do this every time. Only takes about 30 seconds.

Big thanks to Rob4828 for this. Without it, I would never be able to connect at 4g speeds.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1931679

**Please be aware link above is a thread for the At&t Galaxy Note, don't go in there thinking you can flash anything from there to your Skyrocket**

I hope this helps.