[GPL]2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V9 12/10/10

Search This thread

mflane

Mar 9, 2009
or anyone care to share the CFS kernel through a new link? I too am interested in trying this one out. CFS ive always enjoyed and have had the best battery life.

GRDLOCK shut down on May 20 it seems. This was passed along to me yesterday via PM by Conap:

DecafuctCFSv9.zip

MD5: cb4206d673689944d9b4fffd6c34cee2

I flashed it, but it made my Eris (running TaintedTenzo V16) extremely laggy even though SetCPU showed it running at 729 mhz. I had to go back to V6.

I'm going to update TT to V18.4 and give it a go then.

Reactions: mikesincredible

mikesincredible

Aug 15, 2010
GRDLOCK shut down on May 20 it seems. This was passed along to me yesterday via PM by Conap:

DecafuctCFSv9.zip

MD5: cb4206d673689944d9b4fffd6c34cee2

I flashed it, but it made my Eris (running TaintedTenzo V16) extremely laggy even though SetCPU showed it running at 729 mhz. I had to go back to V6.

I'm going to update TT to V18.4 and give it a go then.

Thats why? well, thank you! would you mind sharing the v6 version? I run it max 729 ondemand..if its laggy id prefer it not be..I dont want to risk 768max lol atleast not yet, the eris is my back up phone.

mflane

Mar 9, 2009
I've attached V6.

MD5: 78c9df4a4a7ec06529af9af960ac4ddd

Attachments

• DecafuctCFSv6.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 74

mflane

Mar 9, 2009
V9 worked a bit better on TaintedTenzo V18.4, but still laggy and scrolling is just plain stupid. Going back to V6 for good I guess.

mikesincredible

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for suggestively not knowing u suggested a ROM to me aswell..lol Ive been using the gin tazz ones, since there latest, those are bad ass roms aswell.. but Im trying Evil ROM out right now it was on page 2...Then onto taintedtenzo..

tjacoby2006

Aug 14, 2009
Is it possible to compile this kernel with the trackball disabled? With so many people having issues with it, the kernel would be very logical place to try and disable it. I have been poking through the source but I do not have the knowledge to find what may control it. Somewhere under drivers/input? I am not sure, but if someone knows I think it would invaluable to people with finicky trackballs.

doogald

May 27, 2010
Is it possible to compile this kernel with the trackball disabled? With so many people having issues with it, the kernel would be very logical place to try and disable it. I have been poking through the source but I do not have the knowledge to find what may control it. Somewhere under drivers/input? I am not sure, but if someone knows I think it would invaluable to people with finicky trackballs.

I am going to +1 this. It would great to have for people who still have a few months left before they can upgrade a balky Eris.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I put this kernel together with the direction of Decadenc3(Thanks again and I hate github by the way lol). It is basically the same as the bfs kernel without the bfs which makes it a little more stable in my opinion. It is set up for interactive governer which decadenc3 tells me works very nicely without the bfs.

V2
    Fixed commit conflict which may have caused kernel panic(which means hopefully no more reboots for those who had problems)
    V3
    Lowered starting voltage(undervolting)
    V4
    Re-enabled low memory killer
    V5
    added tun.ko file (untested)
    kanged some more commits from some better kernel devs then me:D(see github source for commit changes)
    V6
    added cifs support
    Camera freezing fix
    Other updates from backports of .32 and .34 kernel stuff
    V7
    never officially released
    added loop support
    V8
    Smartass governor added
    Updated kgsl, better graphics performance
    updated interactive governor
    Download CFSv8 from here.
    V9
    Removed cifs support and reverted to the linux toolchain for compiling. I think that these were the changes in V6 that caused some wifi and failed boot problems for some users. Nothing has been changed in wifi so I think this is what the problem was but for those that were having trouble you'll have to let me know.
    DecufuctCFSV9

Flashing this kernel will cause issues with Froyo apps2sd. Froyo apps2sd uses cyrptoloop to mount the apps on the sd card. The kernel has the cryptoloop module compiled seperately so it needs to be activated for apps2sd to work. This can be done manually by typing insmod system/lib/modules/loop.ko and then insmod system/lib/modules/cryptoloop.ko. This can be put into a script and run at boot by your rom dev if they choose to include this kernel.
    More thanks to Decad3nce and all the other great kernel guys that i can pull commits from to put this together.

2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V4

2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V3
    More Info on Smartass governor
    Technical Details-originally posted by erasmux

smartass governor - is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
    I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
    Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!

Just thought I would throw this "decoder key" out here for historical purposes - the Decadenc3/Conap kernel made its way into lots of different ROMs...

...so, if you are not sure or have forgotten which kernel is in your ROM, do a "adb shell uname -a", and you should be able to match these:

BFS330: Linux version 2.6.29.6-DecaFuct-dirty-b81fce7a #12 PREEMPT Fri Sep 3 22:33:01 EDT 2010
    CFSv4 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-2a66c604 #2 PREEMPT Mon Sep 6 16:49:41 EDT 2010
    CFSv5 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-ea33d448 #5 PREEMPT Thu Sep 16 10:11:19 EDT 2010
    BFSv6 : Linux version 2.6.29.6-DecaFuct-dirty-153d9e7a #19 PREEMPT Sun Oct 17 20:56:35 EDT 2010
    CFSv6 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-cd76c7c1 #20 PREEMPT Sun Oct 17 20:58:39 EDT 2010
    CFSv8 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-c6271491 #7 PREEMPT Mon Nov 8 20:13:33 EST 2010
    CFSv9 : Linux version 2.6.29-DecaFuctCFS-dirty-c6271491 #2 PREEMPT Sat Dec 4 14:12:58 EST 2010

Note the similar strings for CFSv8 and CFSv9 - make sure to check the dates carefully.
    And of course my source for this if any of you would like it.

Also you can check out my Froyo rom here.
    I have Kernel Version 2.6.29 zanfur@gandolf #46.............my question is what version is this on here?? V6 V7 V8 V9?? No clue lol thanks a lot :) Just want upgrade if needed :)

If I understand your question correctly, none of the above. You are not running the CFS kernel at all. I'm no expert on this but I believe you're running the kernel which was originally made for use with more stock (HTC Sense, for example, but not necessarily just that) 2.1 ROMs for the Eris.

People have tried using Conap's CFS kernels with 2.1 ROMs but at least back a while, it was reported that it seemed to slow things down in that case. It seems to work better with 2.2-based ROMs like Cyanogen Mod 6.x-based ones.

What ROM are you running?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if there's more information which should augment what I said.
    The download links on the first page arent working, is there an alternative download site? I need CFS v6 (v7 or v8 would work if they are mostly the same i suppose)

Heres v8
    http://db.tt/ZxkWbK1

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using XDA App
    I did a search in your CELBFroyo thread and couldn't find a related hit.

I'm "assuming" that you have such a script run at boot in CELBFroyo. After all, I haven't experienced any problems with Froyo's Apps2SD that I'm aware of, but I just wanted to be sure. :D

Thanks!

yes this is taken care of in my rom
    I see. well if this is the case then can anyone maybe tell me an easy way to change the governer without opening up terminal? like through an app or widget maybe?

Sent from my Floyo Tazz using XDA App

Well this looks like a good place to plug my new app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=867667...this will let you change the governor....I actually wrote it because so many people were wanting to change away from the smartass governor so it should be just what you want...