I got into clockwork on the fire!!!

Search This thread
May 2, 2011
champaign, il
i'm looking for the flag that the OS puts in /cache or /data to trigger a recovery reboot because pressing reboot now does not remove that flag so it will continue to reboot into clockwork unless you do a little hackery to put the stock recovery back on it and then reboot it into the stock recovery and make it fail the signature verification this fluke update.zip i made. we need to find a way to make a fail safe to reboot into recovery as well in case when we start roming, something goes wrong

See kfire/u-boot/include/fastboot.h, PUBLIC_SAR_RAM_1_FREE. I havent tried but I dont think it needs to be mapped. Copy "recovery" there or null it depending on which boot mode you want.

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
See kfire/u-boot/include/fastboot.h, PUBLIC_SAR_RAM_1_FREE. I havent tried but I dont think it needs to be mapped. Copy "recovery" there or null it depending on which boot mode you want.

woah. that went right over my head. i'm not very familiar with custom recoveries coming from only motorola phones, can you explain further?!

May 2, 2011
champaign, il
Ok let's backstep a bit. So is your current mod replacing the stock sbin/recovery with clockwork's recovery binaries, and once you boot recovery mode (eg. via adb or clockwork) it stays in recovery on subsequent boots until you switch back the stock bootloader?

I think we can peek that mem location and poke it if that's the case..

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
well i really cannot find what the device looks for in order to reboot into recovery. the only way i can get it to reboot into recovery is to put a spoof update.zip in the /sdcard/kindleupdates/ folder and it activates the "update kindle" button in the settings -> device menu. if you press update after flashing clockwork to the recovery partition it will reboot into clockwork. the only problem is i dont *actually* know what the hell the "update kindle" button does in order to trigger a reboot into recovery. whether it throws a file into a directory or whatnot is beyond me. if you flash clockwork and open rom manager and press reboot recovery or use adb reboot recovery does not do anything besides a normal reboot so the normal flags that other devices have to reboot into recovery do not work on the fire. i know that for the moto droid family, if theres a file under /data/.recoverymode it will boot into recovery, but i don't know what the equivalent is for the kindle

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
Just a random, uninformed idea: could cwm be programmed to navigate by Morse code or something similar? One short press to move up, two to move down, three to select, long press for power, etc?

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
i asked koush but he hasn't gotten back. if it were possible, i'd like to implement like a 5 a long press to be out OK, and short presses to be a scroll down, and a 3 second long press to be back. i'm not really sure how to do that though, not familiar with C++

hitsndc

Oct 1, 2008
Good job Calvin! I hope more devs will be looking into this soon so you guys can swap information to complete the task. CWM is just the first step but its a big step since the KF source is already released. As soon as this CWM is working good, more devs will join in to create the Roms. :)

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
okay i found this in a log

Read bootmode from the eMMC
bootmode = '0x0000000000004000'

Read bootmode from the eMMC
bootmode = '0x0000000000005001'
Entering into recovery mode !!!

the flag is on what ever eMMC is... if it's 4000 it's a normal boot and if it's 5001 it goes into recovery. i also found that on the logcat after rebooting into recovery, it says bootmode=5001

hope this helps somebody get closer

May 2, 2011
champaign, il
the only problem is i dont *actually* know what the hell the "update kindle" button does in order to trigger a reboot into recovery. whether it throws a file into a directory or whatnot is beyond me.

Yeah the standard 'reboot recovery'/'adb reboot recovery' is disabled. It looks like it is set in nvram.

The boot loader source says that it is the 0x5000 bit in bootmode. I was able to grab it when I ran update kindle before it rebooted. Bootmode was changed to "5001 0".

See my fastboot thread (currently still in kf general) for other bootmode findings.

If you have fastboot setup, you should try fastboot oem recovery as well (for another path to the recovery)..

teookie

Feb 5, 2011
I've had my kindle for a few hours now and I'm rooted with google apps and custom launcher. :cool: Can't wait for you guys to get CW figured out. I need to make a backup!

My other hobby is RC airplanes. One of the battery chargers I use only has one button. To navigate through the menus you do this:

short press = scroll through menu 1 item.
quick press then immediate long press = change direction of menu scrolling
long press = select present menu item

This works very well. The ability to change scrolling directions might not be required in clockwork though as most menus are short.

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Wait you can use fastboot on the fire? Can you tell me how?

Edit: just saw the thread in general... this changes everything. I'm gonna give cm7 a shot for the fire. Not gonna try stock ics as I'm not 100% sure how to port to devices on non-cm source. The good thing is that I'd imagine that stock ics is that optimized for omap4 devices (galaxy nexus) so porting cm9 to the kindle should be sooner than other board varients

Sent from my DROID Pro using XDA App

Last edited:

hitsndc

Oct 1, 2008
Last edited:

andTab

Nov 20, 2011
I've had my kindle for a few hours now and I'm rooted with google apps and custom launcher. :cool: Can't wait for you guys to get CW figured out. I need to make a backup!

My other hobby is RC airplanes. One of the battery chargers I use only has one button. To navigate through the menus you do this:

short press = scroll through menu 1 item.
quick press then immediate long press = change direction of menu scrolling
long press = select present menu item

This works very well. The ability to change scrolling directions might not be required in clockwork though as most menus are short.

I like this idea.
With CM7 available, many are probably tempted to jump into the pool for ROMs but it would obviously be much better/easier and safer if we had a working recovery (that also allows us to make a backup of the original KF rom).

Is anyone working on getting CWM working with one of the suggested solutions (eg either the above or the solution to have selection just cycle through the options every 3+ seconds with the button just selecting)?

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
@JackpotClavin
for CWM on this device did u need to change graphic.c file in CWM-R sources?

i have started work, along with my teammate, to make a touch-enabled CWM recovery

Reactions: Groundhack

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's the deal, I flashed a clockwork port for the kindle fire that I made. It was 100% useless as of now because of the one hardware button that we have to work with. I sent Koush a message on twitter asking if there is a possibility to have a long press and quick/short press differentiate between scrolling down and actually selecting the item on the menu but he hasn't gotten back to me yet but I'm sure he's working on it :D
    http://i.imgur.com/9zWTk.jpg :D just gettings rid of those error messages now. had the wrong filesystem for /cache
    Someone with a copy of device configs for the Fire that's used to compile CWM and a Kindle Fire handy should come by our IRC channel on Freenode in #twrp. A true touchscreen gui would get past all of this 1 button mess.

twrp 2.0 touchscreen gui recovery - who needs a volume rocker?
    Will port this later

Sent from my DROID Pro using XDA App
    you got partition table for fire yet ? i am looking for boot partition