Lenovo ideaTab S2109 ROOT?!

Search This thread

freecicero

Nov 16, 2011
Just in case anyone is reading this, I got past the error by downloading the images referenced in this thread. Had some trouble at first, but when I download the Recovery,img nd used Fastboot to install it, all went well.

Now I have a new question: Does this mean that the CWM we installed is useless, and that a Nandroid backup made with it will not restore if needed? Or has anyone successfully restored a Nandroid backup?

rachosol

Aug 2, 2010
Barranquilla
Jeje I have a reboot-loop too.

I've installed CWM and gained root access with this useful guide.

However, recently the s2109a tablet showed me a message about "Encryption Unsuccessful", and with a button to do a factory reset. The factory reset process fails everytime it starts.

I've read some guides regarding this problem, and in all of them mentions that I need the latest build of ICS for my device. Where can I find that build for the IdeaTab s2109? Or maybe we need to compile our own ICS?

At least CWM works, but I don't have a backup :S. Any help, too? Thank you in advance.
--
Nevermind, I solved the problem.

The /data partition was corrupted, and any attempt to format it via CWM wouldn't work (maybe it uses mkfs.ext2 which fails sometimes). So I've formatted the partition via ADB with mke2fs and then modified the filesystem with tune2fs to add ext4 support. Then the reboot worked.

In short I will upload my IdeaTab s2109a /system and NANDROID backup.

How did you made the data partition work again with ADB? Help!

gujjubhai12

Mar 18, 2014
Ideatab s2109a-f /system or bacckup

However, recently the s2109a tablet showed me a message about "Encryption Unsuccessful", and with a button to do a factory reset. The factory reset process fails everytime it starts.

I've read some guides regarding this problem, and in all of them mentions that I need the latest build of ICS for my device. Where can I find that build for the IdeaTab s2109? Or maybe we need to compile our own ICS?

At least CWM works, but I don't have a backup :S. Any help, too? Thank you in advance.
--

The /data partition was corrupted, and any attempt to format it via CWM wouldn't work (maybe it uses mkfs.ext2 which fails sometimes). So I've formatted the partition via ADB with mke2fs and then modified the filesystem with tune2fs to add ext4 support. Then the reboot worked.

Is it uploaded any place? can I have a link to those files?

I found one at following link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43184325#post43184325

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Niiice

OK, so the CWM method worked great on my S2109. I had the 4.0.4 update.

Two things:

1) The Lenovo drivers are at Lenovo's support website. Just search for "adb interface driver"
    2) In step 3 of el_fuego's instructions, he says "add following to both the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections:", add this instead:

Code:
    ;Lenovo S2109
    %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748B&REV_0100
    %SingleAdbInterface%         = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&MI_02
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&REV_0216&MI_02
    %SingleAdbInterface%         = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&MI_00
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&REV_0216&MI_00
    %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_74CC&REV_0216
    Hi, I own Medion Lifetab S9512, which is a branded version of the Lenovo S2109. I am not sure what Android version is the S2109 shipped with. If it is 4.0.3 you can root it using the method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439429, as the method is confirmed to work with S9512. The other possibility, which works also for 4.0.4 version is to use CWM recovery. I have compiled a provisional version for S9512 and it should work also for S2109. Installation instructions and the download links are available at German site (don't worry, my posts are in English, posted under the nick of el_fuego ): http://www.android-hilfe.de/medion-lifetab-s9512-forum/278439-clockworkmod.html
    WOO!!!

Hi, I own Medion Lifetab S9512, which is a branded version of the Lenovo S2109. I am not sure what Android version is the S2109 shipped with. If it is 4.0.3 you can root it using the method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439429, as the method is confirmed to work with S9512. The other possibility, which works also for 4.0.4 version is to use CWM recovery. I have compiled a provisional version for S9512 and it should work also for S2109. Installation instructions and the download links are available at German site (don't worry, my posts are in English, posted under the nick of el_fuego ): http://www.android-hilfe.de/medion-lifetab-s9512-forum/278439-clockworkmod.html

Awesome! thank you so much! the CWM root worked perfectly. However, the driver from the SDK folder wasn't recognized so I just used the Lenovo ADB driver that came shipped with the device and that worked just fine. Took me about 20 minutes to complete - that includes resolving the driver issue.
    Lenovo s2109 rooted

@Jittery Jim: Rooting following polakko's (or el_fuego's) guide is straightforward. I did it yesterday and found no problems, you should only consider luckyjay's post regarding the adb driver.

@all: As I imply above the rooting process was free of problems and I have successfully installed CWM. However, after rooting I've run into some other problems:

First:
    I rooted before performing a Software update (i.e. I still have the original version 4.0.3). I was planning to make a backup of the system after CWM installation and then update to 4.0.4.
    When I try to backup the system using CWM everything works fine until the step "Backing up data..." I get the following messages:

- No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
    - Backing up cache...
    - No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
    - Generating md5 sum...
    - Backup complete!

After backing up, I find in the internal sd card 4 files (in total 500K) and a directory called "blobs" with several subdirectories. In total about 2000 files. Is that the backup?

Furthermore, when I try to update to 4.0.4 using CWM, I get the following:
    - Finding update package...
    - Opening update package...
    - Installing update...
    - Mount partition
    - Verifying current system...
    - assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Launcher2.apk", .....
    - E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    - (Status 7)
    - Installation aborted.

If I try to update from the normal system (i.e. outside CWM), CWM stops the update upon reboot.

Any ideas of how to update to 4.0.4 after CWM has been installed?

Second:
    I have installed Super Manager from the market. When I try to enable ROOT, I get a message telling that ROOT functions are nor supported in my device. As it could be expected, Superuser does not inform that there is an app trying to get root priviliges, and Super Manager does not appear listed in the superuser's app list.

Third:
    It appears that in newer Android builds, it is not possible for third party apps (apps that were not preloaded on the device, but you manually installed or downloaded from Android Market / Google Play) to gain write access to the external SD card. This was not an issue on Android 2.x but it became a problem on Android 3.x.
    The implications of this (at least in my cse) is that I can not create folders, copy files or move apps to the external sd card. That even happens with the preinstalled ES Explorer. The solution to this problem is easy if root access is available. One just needs to add the line <group gid="media_rw" /> within the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE section of the file /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml.

I have pulled the file platform.xml with adb and updated it accordingly. However, I can not push it back because the directory /system/etc/permissions is read only. Any ideas of how to circumvent this problem?

Cheers,
    Pisuke

--