Question HP Slatebook x2 thoughts?

Search This thread

fantasticrat

Aug 12, 2013
Historic Over There
I took the risk and bought an HP Slatebook x2 today. I heard mixed optimism regarding its superiority over the other HP "offerings" as we might call them ... but it was hard for me to resist the Tegra 4 and bundled keyboard dock. As a grad student, I need a versatile input system, and I wasn't sure I wanted to wait for the next ASUS Transformer tablet to come out. Plus, I keep hearing bad things here about ASUS customer service and so on.

The Slatebook apparently ships with 4.2.2, which isn't too shabby, and it does have multiple SD expansion slots and a USB 2.0 port. So, not exactly up to snuff with the new Transformer rumors, but I couldn't really wait to go mobile because I do web design and I'm stuck on a desktop computer (hard to show off my work from my bedroom, y'know).

What I'm wondering now is, who's going to achieve root for me? :D
Also, what's the general consensus here on this particular device? All I've seen on these forums about it is a bunch of spam threads from a troll.

Thoughts?

--Fantastic Rat

Reactions: spepper

conan1600

Jan 9, 2011
Just got ours in and it feels great to me. I love the way it looks and feels. The performance so far is excellent and I'm rather impressed with it. For an HP product I am well pleased. I benchmarked it and it surpasses any soc currently sold by large margins. I do not like that it has no auto bright feature and customizing the system tab is a pain. Going to need some theming. I am quite sure a root method can be done from SD or even USB. As its mostly stock android it runs smooth but of course not at CM 10.2 levels. All in all if your not going to root anyway this machine is awesome. If your going to root well help attract Dev attention to the product.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I just realized how handy the placement of the volume and power button are when I'm using it without the dock. I can easily reach them with my index fingers without repositioning my hands :thumbup:

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk 4

raptir

May 4, 2010
That USB to dock connector is a great find. I think I will exchange rather than return my tablet for the bad backlight bleed and ask them about the availability of the connector.

scanline

Jun 13, 2009
I called hp tech support and asked about the cable to connect the tablet to a PC and she said oh it must be missing and we will send it I got a sent a power cord

Last edited:

mali_nay

Aug 15, 2013
Battery and lag..

I too took a risk and I've had the x2 for a few days now and it is a very very capable device. There's no lag and it's 99.9 butter smooth. Even compared to the nexus 10 I returned. Transition, opening apps, web scrolling, swiping is all excellent. This is what android tablet should be. Games and apps also run smooth and having extra graphic enhancement with tegra optimized games is great. If you want the best performing stock tablet with dock and excellent user experience, this is it! Atleast for now.....

As far as hardware, the device feels pretty solid but yes there is some play with the tablet while its dock but I don't think it's going to be a big deal. And the hinge doesn't touch the tablet glass at all (just the speaker part on the bottom) so I don't see any reason the glass will ever crack unlike the Asus tablets where the hinge covers some part of the screen which causes pressure on the glass when you close it. The glass is also a little bit recessed about 1mm so if you have just the tablet laying on its face on a table the glass will never touch the table nor does the screen touch any part of the dock when it's closed. The dock mousepad is multitouch so you can pinch and zoom. 2 fingers to scroll and it can also wake up the tablet if you swipe or click on it. But the dock doesn't have a lock/unlock button so you still have to unlock via swipe of the onscreen lock either on the tablet or using the mousepad. Both sd card slots can support 64gb card even though the site says only 32gb. I have an sandisk ultra 64gb class 10 to confirm this.

The speaker being in the front is excellent. Even if I try to cover them it doesn't muffle the sound. Although it isn't as loud as the nexus 10, it's definitely better than the infinity.

Now for what I don't like (of course nothing is 100% perfect)

The screen is a bit too warm. Even warmer than the nexus 10 so things are a little washed out (maybe I've just been spoiled by my asus infinity screens excellent contrast). So icons doesn't look as sharp and blacks aren't as blacks so text on white (or in this case yellowish) background doesn't stand out as good as the infinity. But after a few days I get used to it until I go back to my infinity. Also the screen doesn't get as bright as it only produces 400 nits compared to 600 on the infinity but really not an issue for me as I don't use my tablet outdoors too much. Although HP claims the screen is good outdoors I haven't tried it. There is a very very minimal light bleed on the left side but so minimal that I don't see it unless I really focus on it.

Rear camera is awful bad. I use my infinity to make small videos for work and it's like having a mini tripod that I can angle in different degrees so I prefer to use my tablet rather than my phone for this. The infinity camera is great. And I sometimes use the LED flash so the lack of LED on the rear camera on the x2 is kind of a bummer also. So I will have to start using my phone from now on if I am to keep this tablet so meaning I have to spend some more $ to get a decent mini tripod.

Even though the dock supports sd card I would be weary about having one in there as the sd card sticks out about 1-2mm. I can press on it easily to eject the card so if the tablet is in your backpack or tablet bag make sure that side is not on the bottom or it may unlatch and the card could end up coming out completely as you take the tablet out. And on the tablet the micro sd slot is on the bottom. So if you need to take it out you have to undock it to get to it. Which isn't that much of a big deal but just not as convenient. Luckily though the micro sd sits flush in there so there is less chance of it popping out.

And finally, there is no usb cable to be found online, nor does it come with one. So I have no idea how this tablet can be rooted. The slate 7 can be rooted via usb so I'm thinking that might work on the x2 as well but there's no way to test it. I need root for titanium backup, LMT pie and also Folder Mount so I can transfer game data to sd card since this is only a 16gb unit. No root is going to be the deal breaker for me and will probably return it if I don't find a solution within 21 days (HP return policy period).

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

That was me and it does support 64gb cards. :good:

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Unfortunately it wont allow me to download nova 3 and I don't have Gangstar vegas but I've played MC4 and it runs great on it.

EDIT: Went to play.google.com and was able to send Nova 3 to the x2. Just waiting for install and will let you know how it plays.

EDIT2: Nova 3 plays great on it as well and it has the blurr and smoke effect!

Dude thanks for letting me know about the gaming on it. Just tell me that NOVA 3 lagged a little? or it was as smooth as butter. Also if possible please send me the screenshot of the NOVA 3 gaming. As well tell me how long it battery actually works.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Dude thanks for letting me know about the gaming on it. Just tell me that NOVA 3 lagged a little? or it was as smooth as butter. Also if possible please send me the screenshot of the NOVA 3 gaming. As well tell me how long it battery actually works.

I'll see if I can record a video sometime today. Battery I haven't done any sort of test on it but it seems the dock battery runs out quite a bit faster. Its the first to run out while the tablet stays at full the whole time which is actually an advantage in case you want to undock you still have ample battery left on the tablet. But I'll see if I can monitor it better but you are probably better off getting that info on line whos done intrusive tests.

Last edited:

mali_nay

Aug 15, 2013
I'll see if I can record a video sometime today. Battery I haven't done any sort of test on it but it seems the dock battery runs out quite a bit faster. Its the first to run out while the tablet stays at full the whole time which is actually an advantage in case you want to undock you still have ample battery left on the tablet. But I'll see if I can monitor it better but you are probably better off getting that info on line whos done intrusive tests.

Dude just tell me that can I separately charge the slate or it can be only charged with dock. Also am not asking for a video ( if you can make it that's great) , I am just asking you to take screenshot while gaming. Also tell me that did nova 3 lagged a little or with smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Dude just tell me that can I separately charge the slate or it can be only charged with dock. Also am not asking for a video ( if you can make it that's great) , I am just asking you to take screenshot while gaming. Also tell me that did nova 3 lagged a little or with smooth.

lol how would a video not show a better idea for yourself if it lags? You seem very picky and a bit rude for someone requesting for information. Maybe ask someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelago

mali_nay

Aug 15, 2013
lol how would a video not show a better idea for yourself if it lags? You seem very picky and a bit rude for someone requesting for information. Maybe ask someone else.

Sorry dude, if you think am getting rude. All right am not now interested anymore to ask something from a guy who is thinking that am getting rude rather I am bit kind. Anyways dude sorry again.

Last edited:

Angus66

Sep 4, 2012
I picked up one of these tablets today at Microcenter. While attempting to get it set up I found that the touch screen doesn't work. :mad:
I took it out of the dock and the touch screen still doesn't register any taps and/or swipes. Is there something I'm missing to turn the touch screen on? This is my 1st tablet with a keyboard...

toanau

Jul 30, 2011

I notice the dock battery does drain kinda fast compare to the Asus transformer. I have all the transformer tablet series and I can't believe how silky smooth this devices is. Still debating weather to return or keep this device

Google Edition S4

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I picked up one of these tablets today at Microcenter. While attempting to get it set up I found that the touch screen doesn't work. :mad:
I took it out of the dock and the touch screen still doesn't register any taps and/or swipes. Is there something I'm missing to turn the touch screen on? This is my 1st tablet with a keyboard...

It should work right away so you probably have a bad one. My first unit had a bad wifi but the replacement is perfect so far. How much is micro center selling it for? They usually sell tablets $50 cheaper.

Angus66

Sep 4, 2012
It should work right away so you probably have a bad one. My first unit had a bad wifi but the replacement is perfect so far. How much is micro center selling it for? They usually sell tablets $50 cheaper.

Thanks for the reply. Micro center has them listed on their site for $499.99 but I got them to price match the HP site so it was $479.99.

They had six in stock at my local Micro center but no one at the store even knew they were there.

I guess I'll do an exchange for one of the five remaining tablets... :mad:

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I notice the dock battery does drain kinda fast compare to the Asus transformer. I have all the transformer tablet series and I can't believe how silky smooth this devices is. Still debating weather to return or keep this device

Google Edition S4

It does seem that way but then the Asus ones tries to balance both batteries so while the tablet battery is being used the dock battery isn't used until the tablet needs it again. Unless you're talking about when its idled then ya I noticed it drains faster like it's not really sleeping.

And totally agree how so much better this tablet is compared to my infinity and even the prime when I had that. Even better than nexus 10 that had UI lag but not as bad. Just waiting for that root and it will be a keeper. 18 days and counting....

Last edited:

atg284

Nov 26, 2012

Really?! Which Micro Center did you go to?! The one by me had no idea what I was talking about. Also, did they have a display model out? I wonder if they will soon .....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I too took a risk and I've had the x2 for a few days now and it is a very very capable device. There's no lag and it's 99.9 butter smooth. Even compared to the nexus 10 I returned. Transition, opening apps, web scrolling, swiping is all excellent. This is what android tablet should be. Games and apps also run smooth and having extra graphic enhancement with tegra optimized games is great. If you want the best performing stock tablet with dock and excellent user experience, this is it! Atleast for now.....

As far as hardware, the device feels pretty solid but yes there is some play with the tablet while its dock but I don't think it's going to be a big deal. And the hinge doesn't touch the tablet glass at all (just the speaker part on the bottom) so I don't see any reason the glass will ever crack unlike the Asus tablets where the hinge covers some part of the screen which causes pressure on the glass when you close it. The glass is also a little bit recessed about 1mm so if you have just the tablet laying on its face on a table the glass will never touch the table nor does the screen touch any part of the dock when it's closed. The dock mousepad is multitouch so you can pinch and zoom. 2 fingers to scroll and it can also wake up the tablet if you swipe or click on it. But the dock doesn't have a lock/unlock button so you still have to unlock via swipe of the onscreen lock either on the tablet or using the mousepad. Both sd card slots can support 64gb card even though the site says only 32gb. I have an sandisk ultra 64gb class 10 to confirm this.

The speaker being in the front is excellent. Even if I try to cover them it doesn't muffle the sound. Although it isn't as loud as the nexus 10, it's definitely better than the infinity.

Now for what I don't like (of course nothing is 100% perfect)

The screen is a bit too warm. Even warmer than the nexus 10 so things are a little washed out (maybe I've just been spoiled by my asus infinity screens excellent contrast). So icons doesn't look as sharp and blacks aren't as blacks so text on white (or in this case yellowish) background doesn't stand out as good as the infinity. But after a few days I get used to it until I go back to my infinity. Also the screen doesn't get as bright as it only produces 400 nits compared to 600 on the infinity but really not an issue for me as I don't use my tablet outdoors too much. Although HP claims the screen is good outdoors I haven't tried it. There is a very very minimal light bleed on the left side but so minimal that I don't see it unless I really focus on it.

Rear camera is awful bad. I use my infinity to make small videos for work and it's like having a mini tripod that I can angle in different degrees so I prefer to use my tablet rather than my phone for this. The infinity camera is great. And I sometimes use the LED flash so the lack of LED on the rear camera on the x2 is kind of a bummer also. So I will have to start using my phone from now on if I am to keep this tablet so meaning I have to spend some more $ to get a decent mini tripod.

Even though the dock supports sd card I would be weary about having one in there as the sd card sticks out about 1-2mm. I can press on it easily to eject the card so if the tablet is in your backpack or tablet bag make sure that side is not on the bottom or it may unlatch and the card could end up coming out completely as you take the tablet out. And on the tablet the micro sd slot is on the bottom. So if you need to take it out you have to undock it to get to it. Which isn't that much of a big deal but just not as convenient. Luckily though the micro sd sits flush in there so there is less chance of it popping out.

And finally, there is no usb cable to be found online, nor does it come with one. So I have no idea how this tablet can be rooted. The slate 7 can be rooted via usb so I'm thinking that might work on the x2 as well but there's no way to test it. I need root for titanium backup, LMT pie and also Folder Mount so I can transfer game data to sd card since this is only a 16gb unit. No root is going to be the deal breaker for me and will probably return it if I don't find a solution within 21 days (HP return policy period).

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Someone on another thread can use his 64B SD on a HP SlateBook X2 : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44619797&postcount=15

That was me and it does support 64gb cards. :good:

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Hello, i am thinking to buy this tablet and i just wanna know that how is the gaming on this tab. I mean high end graphical games like NOVA or gangstar vegas. Actually i am having a nexus 7 1st gen and I intrested to buy an TEGRA 4 tablet. so pls tell

Unfortunately it wont allow me to download nova 3 and I don't have Gangstar vegas but I've played MC4 and it runs great on it.

EDIT: Went to play.google.com and was able to send Nova 3 to the x2. Just waiting for install and will let you know how it plays.

EDIT2: Nova 3 plays great on it as well and it has the blurr and smoke effect!
    Hi folks,

i know that it was a long wait but we have some good news.
    I've found help in the name of "Unjustified Dev", a recognized dev working also on other tegra4 devices.
    He helped me to set-up vendor files and device tree for our device.
    We had trouble with the recovery, which are now fixed with the new one.

We were not able until now to have a booting CM12, but we have a booting CM11, yes, android 4.4.4 is booting.
    groumfi, another french guy from xda, helped also to build the rom and will help us in debugging :)

The current status of the rom is alpha, some critical things are missing but it booted on three different tabs.
    Status atm :
    Working : Display, touchscreen, Wifi, Bluetooth, keyboard (but needs some fixes), trackpad
    Not working : sound, camera, accelerometer, USB, External storage notification...

We will keep you aware if the progress but that is at least to bring some hope to all Slatebook X2 owners.

I know also that some users are stuck on 4.3 without cable, 4.2.2 users may had chance to flash the recovery without cable, and in this case, no worry to get CM11.
    For 4.3 users, i was thinking to gather all actual users of the slatebook x2 and see how we can sort and help everybody to have access to a cable.
    We could imagine that user pay the shipment cost to the following user etc until the cable gets back to it's owner
    Here is a sheet to fill in : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oi190yBHNRIN47OSmpRLIuVio6OM8HiEhW48VZJG3sQ/edit?usp=sharing

It's open to edition, but please, be gentle
    Pic? I just returned mine today cause I have a feeling root won't be available for a while or not ever.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Here it is.
    I was looking through the HP x2 website and came across the Maintenance and Service Guide (link here).

Couple of interesting points:

1. Page 2 of the doc refers to connectors. It says that the tablet connector is for charging/docking, whilst the dock connector is for charging only. If there was a USB available,maybe this means it would only work through the tablet and not the dock.

2. On page 11 (also on p12), in the illustrated parts breakdown, under Misc parts, the is a listing for a HP micro-USB-to-USB cable, with part # 728141-001. Not sure what this would be for, as there is no micro-USB connector on either the tablet or the dock. However, this part is confirmed on the HP Parts Surfer website as being applicable to 2 versions of the x2 (I'm assuming the 16GB and 64GB versions).

3. After searching for the part number, I found a picture of the x2 to USB cable in the wild, here. Its the German HP site. Its a dead end though. From the picture, you can see the lower pin structure of the cable; there are 6 pins on the USB cable, but there are only 5 on the lower end of the brick connector. One is missing on the left side (looking bottom up). Not great that its different, but maybe not significant.

4. After some searching, I found that the HP x2 connector is a JAE Electronics connector (same OEM as the iPhone/iPad/iPod conectors). The Apple connector is single side (upper), whereas the x2 is upper and lower, and sightly wider. The x2 contact spacing is 0.5mm and I think its 20pin (they are bloody small!), making it a ~40 pin connector.

5. The brick end of the connector is only pinned out on 5 pins on the upper, and 6 pins on the lower. Whereas the dock connector uses all upper and lower pins; most likely for control of the various keyboard functions, SD card, HDMI, USB, etc.

I'm considering cutting my connector off (or maybe just stripping it) and wiring it to a USB cable to see if I can get a connection to my PC. If it doesn't work, reconnecting shouldn't be a problem.

To summarise...lots of research, lots of dead ends, nothing new...and no root. Arrrrrrrrrr!!
    So when docked, you can connect to the PC and enable mass storage mode and transfer files and/or use ADB for development or not?? Did someone with an actual device try it?

p.s: Thanks for your quick reply! :)

Carl

I've got this tablet a few days specifically for development (I'm developping an OpenGL app that really needs a keyboard to be usable, so the X2 was perfect for me, the tablet will never move from my desktop). So for development:

- No ADB connection, the USB port is in host mode and I've found no way to set it in "Guest" mode (if that's the appropriate term).

--> My solution so far:

1. Set up an Apache server to serve the bin directory on my local Wifi network and get my app to update itself on startup (download APK + VIEW intent on APK). Takes two click which is a little annoying but I'm old enough to remember the days when it took half a day to compile an application, so... You also have to launch a dummy emulator to get Eclipse to produce the APK...

2. Start a thread that pumps logcat and sends it via UDP broadcast, then display the log via netcat (nc -l -u <port>). This was not so easy to get right but now it works great and does not slow down the application... Actually it's much more efficient than ADB for this since you don't have all the TCP overhead, plus that horrible Eclipse client UI... And you can filter the logs via grep + regular expression... I might actually start to use this all the time...

3. If I *really* have to debug something via breakpoints, I can always use my Nexus 7 tablet...

Hope that helps...