[Q] Bootloop on everything but Stock 4.2, tried everything, looked everywhere (hope)

Search This thread

CausableMidget

Apr 21, 2010
I am not new to ROMs and flashing etc., but I am completely stumped on this one. I have looked everywhere I know to look (supposedly) but if you find some easily locatable solution that I have missed, please feel free to call me mean names and share the solution with me. Otherwise, this is what I have tried so far (I will start from the beginning):

First, the 4.3 OTA update bricked my phone. I hadn't rooted my N4 yet because it was an updrage from D1 (yes, big jump). I decided to root the phone and install a custom ROM. Can't be too hard right? Its a Nexus for crying out loud. WRONG. Well I rooted pretty easily, and installed my first custom ROM for N4. To install this ROM, I had to erase boot.img, system.img, and userdata.img and then flash each individually from the ROM zip file I downloaded. This worked! I was winging it and it worked out. However, from then on, EVERY ROM I tried to install ended up in a bootloop. I have wiped cache/data, dalvik cache, and even my own (c)ache before flashing new ROM. They all end in bootloop (never ending).

I am able to revert to stock 4.2 easily every time. However, any attempt at installing a custom ROM from there is void. Today I downloaded 4.4.2.tgz from google and ran flash-all.bat. Everything works great! Until I try to boot up; bootloop. I fastboot format this and fastboot erase that, then fastboot flash each .img individually. I fastboot flash new radio, new kernel, etc. etc. but still bootloop.

I really am clueless as to what I am doing wrong or how I screwed myself somewhere along the way, but I am humbly coming before my superiors and asking for help. Please offer me the simplest solution and call me dumb for not seeing it, I will hold you in my heart 4eva

:confused::confused::confused:

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
I am not new to ROMs and flashing etc., but I am completely stumped on this one. I have looked everywhere I know to look (supposedly) but if you find some easily locatable solution that I have missed, please feel free to call me mean names and share the solution with me. Otherwise, this is what I have tried so far (I will start from the beginning):

First, the 4.3 OTA update bricked my phone. I hadn't rooted my N4 yet because it was an updrage from D1 (yes, big jump). I decided to root the phone and install a custom ROM. Can't be too hard right? Its a Nexus for crying out loud. WRONG. Well I rooted pretty easily, and installed my first custom ROM for N4. To install this ROM, I had to erase boot.img, system.img, and userdata.img and then flash each individually from the ROM zip file I downloaded. This worked! I was winging it and it worked out. However, from then on, EVERY ROM I tried to install ended up in a bootloop. I have wiped cache/data, dalvik cache, and even my own (c)ache before flashing new ROM. They all end in bootloop (never ending).

I am able to revert to stock 4.2 easily every time. However, any attempt at installing a custom ROM from there is void. Today I downloaded 4.4.2.tgz from google and ran flash-all.bat. Everything works great! Until I try to boot up; bootloop. I fastboot format this and fastboot erase that, then fastboot flash each .img individually. I fastboot flash new radio, new kernel, etc. etc. but still bootloop.

I really am clueless as to what I am doing wrong or how I screwed myself somewhere along the way, but I am humbly coming before my superiors and asking for help. Please offer me the simplest solution and call me dumb for not seeing it, I will hold you in my heart 4eva

:confused::confused::confused:

This is why once I have my phone rooted, there's no turning back to stock. :D

Are you sure that you wiped system, along with everything else between adventures? (factory reset via recovery)

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

CausableMidget

Apr 21, 2010
This is why once I have my phone rooted, there's no turning back to stock. :D

Are you sure that you wiped system, along with everything else between adventures? (factory reset via recovery)

Yes. I even just did it again to make sure, but I am still watching the beautifully colored circles fold in on themselves.

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Yes. I even just did it again to make sure, but I am still watching the beautifully colored circles fold in on themselves.

Ok, gonna make a suggestion, and it's totally on you if you want to take it, and of course I won't be held responsible. ;) I have had a bootloop or two on my G2 (the original), I would get impatient and pull the battery. (wish the Nexus 4 had a removable battery) Without fail, that cured the bootloop. Just remember, that was a G2, not a Nexus 4.

Don't ask me why it worked because I have no clue. ;)

CausableMidget

Apr 21, 2010
Ok, gonna make a suggestion, and it's totally on you if you want to take it, and of course I won't be held responsible. ;) I have had a bootloop or two on my G2 (the original), I would get impatient and pull the battery. (wish the Nexus 4 had a removable battery) Without fail, that cured the bootloop. Just remember, that was a G2, not a Nexus 4.

Don't ask me why it worked because I have no clue. ;)

I have cycled power a few times during the boot to no avail. I also just reverted back to stock 4.2 and then installed OTA 4.3 update hoping outcome would be different (definition of insanity according to Vaas). I don't know what to do. It's just not in me to run 4.2 forever

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
I have cycled power a few times during the boot to no avail. I also just reverted back to stock 4.2 and then installed OTA 4.3 update hoping outcome would be different (definition of insanity according to Vaas). I don't know what to do. It's just not in me to run 4.2 forever

Have you tried calling an Exorcist? :rolleyes::confused::D

I've run out of ideas! :(