[MOD] Enable HUSPA on ATT

Search This thread

knigitz

May 8, 2010
You really have no clue what is going on with "4g" do you?

HSPA+ is not 4G! and HSUPA has been turned on the att network for many years now (2007 ish) it will not hurt the network. And the only problem with bandwidth is at the cell site because a lot of them still have old atm connections (T1 like).

I never said HSPA+ is 4G.

In fact, HSPA, HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE, LTE Advanced and WiMax are all defined in the 3G standards, not 4G.

Companies get to market them as 4G anyway because they can get away with it saying their variants are close enough. Only as recent as around December last year did LTE and WiMax and similar 3G standards get considered as being 4G.

4G is a meaningless industry term right now since every single mobile company is butchering it to refer to their better-than-3G-but-still-not-quite-4G networks.

Here is what AT&T has to say: "*4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul. 4G speeds will be available in limited areas with availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment."

But hey, the Atrix only supports these networks anyway (per Motorola):

WCDMA 850/1900/2100, GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA 14Mbps (Category 10) Edge Class 12, GPRS Class 12, eCompass, AGPS

With specs like that, you wonder how they can call the Atrix 4G. AT&T says it will support HSPA+. I guess we will see.

wackyD

Nov 9, 2008
I've been looking at my power usage since install - system has averaged lower power use since install, taking normal hourly averages :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

CaelanT

I can verify that after flashing back to original, cpu usage is back down to normal levels, temperature has dropped from a consistent 38 degC to 33 degC, data is now working consistently as well and not dropping at all, albeit it's back at the crappy upload speed.

BTW, I am running .57 on GreyBlur.

<edit> Forgot to mention that my power usage was unbelievably high until I flashed back to stock modem. So bad that I couldn't even charge off the mains. The power draw was too much even for that for some reason. Power consumption is now fine again.

Last edited:

knigitz

May 8, 2010
If you read his post, his 1.0 was referring to UPLOAD not download. And again what you say is not true. HSUPA is HSUPA on ATT, if the phone has access to it, it will get full benefit.

No no and no. It depends on what category HSUPA the phone supports, and what category HSUPA the network is providing. There are multiple categories of HSUPA. 1 Mbit/s is one of the SLOWEST. It is better than basic HSDPA, however.

neotekz

Oct 7, 2007
Ottawa
after some more testing there is def. something wrong with with radio or some kind of compatibility issues. when i wake the phone it can take a up to a few mins to get data connection. reception would jump around constantly. i also noticed a bigger drain on the batter too. i just flash back to the stock modem and everything works like before. i will just wait for the update from ATT.

RootPhisher

Nov 2, 2009
Good work. Flashed over GreyBlur, no issues and speeds increased slightly on the download and over 3 times faster on the upload.

princeandy63

Sep 2, 2009
NYC
Is anyone having a browser problem after doing the hspa mod? My browser closes randomly on wifi at random intervals.

Edit: it seems to happen only when I go to satelliteguys.us and browse their fourms...
Edit: After going to a post, it seems to load something in the browser and closes down, even on 3G/"3.5G"/4G, it might be a problem with their servers...

Last edited:

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
Maybe the original post should be updated with some of the anomalies that users are experiencing. I've read every page of this thread and from what I've gathered I will not be trying this mod.

Sent from my Atrix using XDA App

rjohnstone

Maybe the original post should be updated with some of the anomalies that users are experiencing. I've read every page of this thread and from what I've gathered I will not be trying this mod.

Sent from my Atrix using XDA App
Yes... not for the typical user.
While I'm sure it's fairly safe for most, it does come with it's risks.
Fortunately the issue all appear to be relatively harmless so far.

I'll be waiting for the "official" update.

bigdog_nick

Jun 19, 2010
Orange County
Took me forever to get this flashed. I had to rename the file a few times to get the error code to go away. Flash worked and i noticed a speed gain in my area!

Thanks

t.s.eliot

Jan 2, 2010
after some more testing there is def. something wrong with with radio or some kind of compatibility issues. when i wake the phone it can take a up to a few mins to get data connection. reception would jump around constantly. i also noticed a bigger drain on the batter too. i just flash back to the stock modem and everything works like before. i will just wait for the update from ATT.
I would recommend trying to control variables during testing as much as possible, which will help you isolate the source of any observed changes. Radio speeds will fluctuate during the day pretty significantly for all radios due to congestion (on both the radio portions of the system as well as the IP network). As some users have noticed, the Speed test servers and applications can also be a bit irregular.

You can minimize the impact of many of these variables by testing in the middle of the night. If possible, ensure you have a strong signal as well.

I've noticed no issues to date myself, but as always YMMV.

After flashing the radio I noticed uploads of up to 1.5 Mbps and downloads of up to 5 Mbps. The latency also seemed to be roughly 1/3 of the old radio.

G

GuestK0050

I flashed the new radio and am seeing no improvement whatsoever. WTF?

I am having the same issue in Salt Lake City. I checked the broadband firmware version, it definitely got updated. For a couple of tests I actually did get over 1mbit up, and that it started acting like AT&T wised up and started throttling me down to .3.

I did however notice much lower pings. And your ping looks low too.

-James

jpbadonk

Oct 4, 2010
Denver, CO
For those willing to wait, the 2.2.2 AT&T update with HSUPA (CAT5 speeds = 2.0mbps) is rolling out to 'public' beta testers right now from motorola (I'm not part of this beta group so no NDA for me, but I have my sources). Based on the last beta release, we should see it pushed out to the public in less than a week (I place bets on Friday).

dyussen

Jan 23, 2009
Minnesota
Last edited:

Main Target

Sep 20, 2008
SBF FLASH 1.23 (mbm)
http://opticaldelusion.org

=== att_radio_1_8_7.sbf ===
Index[2]: Unexpected chip 13
00: RDL03 0x00000000-0x002FFFFF 53DA AP
01: RDL01 0x00800000-0x008407FF 3A93 BP
Data[2]: Checksum error (Expected 0x46b4, Got 0x89ae)
02: CG05 0x00000000-0x013AD0FF 46B4 AP

!! failed

Thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE:
    Most users that have flashed this radio are reporting increased download speeds as well as HUSPA upload speeds and better latency/ping times. HOWEVER, several users have reported an increase in the amount of heat dissipated which, combined with run-away apps that are constantly churning data, could cause your phone to get hot.

There have been a lot of questions about inconsistent speed tests. I've even seen some posts claim that they're download speed has gone down. Please use some common sense here and understand that there are many factors that come in to play including SpeedTest, local towers, network congestion, etc.

Also, please be advised that you must use RSD Lite under Windows to flash this radio.

ORIGINAL POST:
    All credit goes to NFHimself from whom I got the idea and who helped me work through the kinks.

Attached is a zip file containing 2 separate sbf files. You will want the SBF for the 1.87 baseband radio which is the same one that shipped with the Telstra 1.4.2 update. It should not require a reset as it's the radio only, and I have successfully flashed it to my ATT phone using RSD Lite giving me upload speeds slightly higher than my dl speeds (currently showing just under 2Mb).

I am also providing a radio only sdf of the stock ATT radio that recently shipped so that you can go back if need be.

Keep in mind that while it did work for me, this has not been thoroughly tested and I will not be responsible if decide to use this and you brick your phone.

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V0LDOGFJ
    MD5 6AF7EF81324F3C117996607C138A49AB
    Good to see folks on the att side getting better speeds. :)

So we have established that sbf files can be edited, now to see what else can be done.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
    I can't download the sbf as always display "This service is temporarily not available from your service area." Anyone can share the file?

Thanks

Here you go mate, I made a mirror:

http://www.multiupload.com/866TC3DQVB
    downloading, trying it now.
    is this ok to be flashed over the 2.3.4 firmware

I didz it and my phonee ffkkn SPLODED!!!11
    JK it works fine. I was scared to do it at first but I flashed it and it worked fine.