Tips - use G button as camera button / lock screen (change key binding)

Search This thread

vlachaquito

Feb 27, 2011
if you use ES File Explorer, goto setting, select 2 checkboxs "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System"

if you use root explorer, change directory to /system, then press "Mount R/W" button

tried that mut the es file explorer says that test doesnt work and cant check the root explorer checkbox. i am using a original european rom and the cell is rooted. any ideas?

Paracetamol100

Aug 14, 2011
Unfortunately waking up my optimus black with g-key didn't work for me. I followed the tutorial carefully, phone is rooted and of course I restarted. I should have add, that I use knzo's Nova Rom.

Any suggestions? Thx

Edit: suddenly, it works fine now

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

-Ertugrul-

Oct 23, 2011
( I'm sorry for my bad English :) )

I rooted my Lg Optimus Black. I'm using Nova v8 room. Now G key works as camera button. I want to change it to original. It ıs writing '' key 95 CAMERA.....'' now. I tried to change it '' key 95 GESTURE '' but when I try to save it, it says '' Error occured when trying to save the file. It will not be saved. '' Please help me. :(

cxian

Nov 27, 2010
Manila
( I'm sorry for my bad English :) )

I rooted my Lg Optimus Black. I'm using Nova v8 room. Now G key works as camera button. I want to change it to original. It ıs writing '' key 95 CAMERA.....'' now. I tried to change it '' key 95 GESTURE '' but when I try to save it, it says '' Error occured when trying to save the file. It will not be saved. '' Please help me. :(
Be sure to set the folder/file permission to R/W. I do it thru ES File Manager and have to enable "Mount File System as writable" on the settings.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

first of all thank you for the info but i couldn't find key 95 with cm7 any ideas
I'm using CM7, I can't find it too that's why I just add it, however screen wake up doesn't work.

Reactions: -Ertugrul-

-Ertugrul-

Oct 23, 2011
@cxian

Thank you very much. I saved it and reboot. But G key doesn't work now :( Maybe it doesn't work because of Nova rom. What do you think? ( I hope you understand me :) )

yeomond

Jun 9, 2010
CM USERS
in the qwerty file,

look for key 212 and change it to 95.

or you could just add the whole line "key 95 camera wake_dropped"

droidA'

Nov 5, 2011
I'm not able to switch to R/W mode from R/O, help me how to do it since there is no option to switch the mode(i already touched the R/O but it didn't changed)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found it in a chinese forum (bbs.gfan.com/android-2014369-1-1.html)

I'm sure most people found the G button useless, so it would be nice to change that. The following is my experience with it:

The position of the G button make it perfectly useful as lock/unlock button, you can use it to shutdown as well, but cannot use it to switch on the phone, I guess it is electrically hardwired to the power button at the top.

Not too bad for camera, long press it will launch the camera app, but it don't have 2 levels so press it once and it will start auto-focus and take picture immediately, similar to touch and release shutter button in camera app, which mean you can't "dis-engage" a failed focus attempt.

here is the method:
    1. make sure you have root and r/w to system partition
    2. the file in question is "TWL4030_Keypad.kl", it's in /system/usr/keylayout/
    3. before making any changes, copy the file to SDcard as a backup
    4. open the file with any text editor, scroll down to 3rd line from the bottom, it should be "key 95 GESTURE"
    5. if you want to use it as camera button, change it to "key 95 CAMERA WAKE_DROPPED"

if you want to use it as power/lock button, change it to "key 95 POWER WAKE_DROPPED"

6. save the changes, reboot to see the changes.
    To set the G button to lock/unlock in CM10 do this:
    go to /system/usr/keylayout and open Generic.kl

Edit the line that starts with "key 95" and change to this:
    key 95 POWER WAKE_DROPPED

Set permissions: rw-r--r-- and reboot :)
    Very good.
    In fact, I may even use this on nova.
    30b

Sorry for bad english
    Ruth, a Root Explorer in \ system \ usr \ keylayout copy and save files: lgosp-hid.kl and TWL4030_Keypad.kl.
    in lgosp-hid.kl looking line key 95 GESTURE WAKE change on key 95 CALL WAKE_DROPPED (like it's not, I added this line)
    TWL4030_Keypad.kl looking at line 95 GESTURE key change on key 95 CALL WAKE

Now the key G has a 'green button'. When you click on it unlocks the screen, and the incoming call can be answered. When the screen is unlocked, then G opens the call log.