Thinking of buying Tab Pro 8.4 Have Questions

Search This thread

kdsmith10000

Jun 11, 2012
Okay, I'm in the market for a new tablet. I have the Toshiba Excite 7.7 and I bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro running windows 8.1 during Christmas but I'm really tired of of display on both and well lets just say the amoled screen on the Excite ant that super....I really want to move up to a full HD display with some speed, etc. The Windows 8.1 experience has been ok if you can live without a lot of apps or want to repay for stuff you already paid for on the Playstore.

I've been looking around and nothing really hits every check box on my list but the 2 that I keep coming back to is the Tab Pro 8.4 and the LG G Pad 8.3. However, I've seen several reviews that talk about the supposed lag on the Tab Pro and I've heard the screen on the LG sucks. Anyway, I'm also disappointed that both only come in 16gb models.

Can anyone tell me if the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 allow for App2SD storage or if root support for swapping out the internal and external storage is available? Also, is the lag as bad as advertised?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

jappetta99

Mar 2, 2010
I haven't tried apps2sd, but the lag hasn't really bothered me yet. I have only noticed it while playing certain high power games. That said, I used Clean ROM on the Note 10.1, which had ridiculous lag and CleanRom fixed it. I am rooting and flashing Clean ROM for 8.4 today just to squeeze out some more efficiency

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Funny, I owned the Toshiba as well (called AT270 here in Canada) and the G Pad 8.3 and now the Tab Pro.

Don't be misled by some members here waxing poetic about lag. There is zero lag within apps (games, video playback etc). web browsing is fast and fluid.

Where there can be occasional delays is switching between apps. Apparently some owners are upset because it takes a whole second to switch between applications. Personally I don't spend much time switching back and forth for hours on end between apps :) I'd rather just use the tablet.

With that in mind, there are ROM's that will provide a faster experience. I'm not overly thrilled with the magazine UX and don't actually use it. Some love it though.

The screen is vastly superior to the G Pad - I found the G Pad to be very dull and dim. Also battery life is excellent.

jappetta99

Mar 2, 2010
Agreed, but you may be reading too far into my comment. I have no lag on the 8.4 and love it, I am talking some hesitations here and there when I play a high end game, but nothing that bothers me or my ability to play and enjoy. Everyday tasks and such are fluid and quick.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Okay, I'm in the market for a new tablet. I have the Toshiba Excite 7.7 and I bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro running windows 8.1 during Christmas but I'm really tired of of display on both and well lets just say the amoled screen on the Excite ant that super....I really want to move up to a full HD display with some speed, etc.

I've heard the screen on the LG sucks.

If its a nice display you want, the 8.4 does not disappoint. The display is not just high resolution, but bright and the colors vibrant. I find myself using the tablet often at around 25% brightness, when I usually had my Note 8 at 40% or more.