[GUIDE] Juopunutbear S-OFF (HBOOT 1.27.0000 with 3.32 ICS Firmware)

Search This thread

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
If they flashed a RUU that made their Hboot 1.27.0000 then they will already have the 3.32 firmware as the RUU would have flashed it.
Plus I am wondering if they are even unlocked. It looks like the recovery partition is still read only not read and write.

• yes RUU include 3.32 firmware but with locked Hboot 1.27.0000 , flashing the unlocked 3.32 firmware will flash boot 1.27.1100 " unlocked "
  • that will allow him to use fastboot write commands " to flash recovery "

peteIRL

Aug 3, 2010
  • after s-off , Juopunutbear should be written in Pink in bootloader , and your hboot should be 1.27.1100
  • Did you flash an RUU after S-OFF " i.e your hboot now is 1.27.0000 " ? if so flash the firmware Package 3.32 according to your cid and fastboot commands will work with you without errors
  • to avoid using fastboot commands , try recovery in the format PG58IMG.zip , it is flashed through bootloader " Method 2 " , try different ones until one works

So after I did the Juopunutbear method of S-Off, when I go into Hboot, the bit in the pink bar says ***LOCKED***. I thought this would be right, as that's what it says in the first post in this thread. Underneath that, it does say- Pyramid PVT Ship S-OFF RL.
The HBoot is still 1.27.0000
I'd love to be able to flash something to the sd card now, but whenever I try to flash boot.img or recovery.img, all I get is the error I posted before, or <waiting for device> forever.

Sorry if this is frustrating for anyone else, but I am a noob to this whole rooting thing!

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
So after I did the Juopunutbear method of S-Off, when I go into Hboot, the bit in the pink bar says ***LOCKED***. I thought this would be right, as that's what it says in the first post in this thread. Underneath that, it does say- Pyramid PVT Ship S-OFF RL.
The HBoot is still 1.27.0000
I'd love to be able to flash something to the sd card now, but whenever I try to flash boot.img or recovery.img, all I get is the error I posted before, or <waiting for device> forever.

Sorry if this is frustrating for anyone else, but I am a noob to this whole rooting thing!

• you will not be able to flash recovery from fastboot with hboot 1.27.0000 , you will need hboot to 1.27.1100 to do that
  • boot.img or recovery.img are flashed from PC using fastboot , not from sd card
  • and you S-OFF , you don't need to flash boot.img for roms !!
  • for error <waiting for device>, this is caused by the drivers , do the following
    • uninstall htc new drivers and htc Sync , and use the old htc drivers (v 3.0.0.007) HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    • run cmd as administrator
    • Disable any firewall or antivirus
  • for error FAILED <remote: not allowed> do either of the following :
  • in all cases flash the firmware to change hboot to 1.27.1100 , this will allow you to flash recovery , radio , ... etc without getting the error remote not allowed

Last edited:
Reactions: undercover

Rajan_96

Apr 3, 2012
London
That's strange because I managed to flash ClockworkMod with stock ICS and a HTCDev Unlocked bootloader through fastboot. I just put the recovery image in my adb folder and used the command 'fastboot flash recovery sensation.IMG' (The Sensation part will be whatever you rename the recovery .IMG to)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using XDA

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
That's strange because I managed to flash ClockworkMod with stock ICS and a HTCDev Unlocked bootloader through fastboot. I just put the recovery image in my adb folder and used the command 'fastboot flash recovery sensation.IMG' (The Sensation part will be whatever you rename the recovery .IMG to)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using XDA

• no , not strange , because that original locked hboot " which doesn't allow to flash recovery " is Unlocked by htc dev to allow it to install recovery , for that reason you will see unlocked in bootloader screen instead of locked
  • But the difference is htc dev unlock some options only " not all commands " , for example it don't allow flashing Radio or other firmware versions
  • But hboot to 1.27.1100 will unlock all commands without having to loose warranty , as it may be the case with htc dev unlock

Last edited:

AswinHof

Apr 22, 2012
Hi what Hboot where you originally on? Had you already rooted your device? I have hboot 1.29.0000 and badly wanting to root, s-off and flash a custom rom.

I was on Hboot 1.27.0000 , after updating OTA to ICS 4.03 from HTC. Than i got problems , also my girlfriends normal sensation. Thats why i wanted to s-off and rooted to try diffrent Rom, but i stick to revolution 6.6.4
I now have Hboot 1.27.1111

First did HTCDEV
Flashed boot .img , like told in the junonutbear guide.
You don't have to be s-off in order to flash a rom , but you need this boot.img OR and thats what i did flashed 4ext 1.0.0.5 rc latest. Than U can flash rom ( search for " s-on and flashing rom " ) .
After i flashed 4ext and flashed rom , i did the junopunutbear methods, performed it 3 times before i got s-off . I am a noob so i don't know this is gonna work with your Hboot , please before you try anything , ask a senior if you can use junonutpubear

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: gsmyth

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
Yes Juopunutbear S-off supports Hboot 1.29.0000

Thanks for the advice guys, the issue I have now is the htcdev unlock process, when submitting the unlock token via the command prompt, I'm getting a 'sending 0kb' message but nothing happens. An HTC tech is trying to help as I raised as a problem, but get the feeling they don't really know how to fix issue.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using XDA

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Thanks for the advice guys, the issue I have now is the htcdev unlock process, when submitting the unlock token via the command prompt, I'm getting a 'sending 0kb' message but nothing happens. An HTC tech is trying to help as I raised as a problem, but get the feeling they don't really know how to fix issue.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using XDA

yeah the size will be shown as 0 kb ...but it has 256 bytes of data

anways are you getting this error while flashing the unlock_code.bin ?

"token check failed" ?

then probably your IMEI is not in their list of devices ..lot of ppl are facing the same problem
and HTC has to update their DataBase to HTC Dev unlock process

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
yeah the size will be shown as 0 kb ...but it has 256 bytes of data

anways are you getting this error while flashing the unlock_code.bin ?

"token check failed" ?

then probably your IMEI is not in their list of devices ..lot of ppl are facing the same problem
and HTC has to update their DataBase to HTC Dev unlock process

Hi There, I'm not getting a failure message/error, it seems like it trys to send the unlock_code file but then nothing happens, just sits at the 'sending' stage. I do think it must be because the handset is too new as you say. The last thing HTC advised was to try a new unlock code (which i've done) and try it without the underscore between the unlock and code, haven't tried this yet but not too hopeful about it.

auggie2k

Jan 18, 2010
Dublin
Hi There, I'm not getting a failure message/error, it seems like it trys to send the unlock_code file but then nothing happens, just sits at the 'sending' stage. I do think it must be because the handset is too new as you say. The last thing HTC advised was to try a new unlock code (which i've done) and try it without the underscore between the unlock and code, haven't tried this yet but not too hopeful about it.
Correct, your IMEI must not be registered for the Dev Unlock. Give HTC an email with all the details you need and they should be able to help. Then once you get it sorted, S-Off with the guide.

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
Correct, your IMEI must not be registered for the Dev Unlock. Give HTC an email with all the details you need and they should be able to help. Then once you get it sorted, S-Off with the guide.

Cheers, have responded to HTC again to advise them that their advice didnt work and that my device is new so can I provide my IMEI to be added to the HTC Dev records, will see what they say. Really want to get this unlocked, rooted, etc, now an official CM9 build is happening!

Marty02

Aug 17, 2010
Istanbul
Hey guys i bought a new sensation XE with 3.6 ics hboot 1.29.0000 and with this method i s-off my device thanks Juopunutbear coders and team it was too hard for me i tried for 6 hours i guess but i made it follow the guide quitely and dont give up the fight at all wire trick is so confusing but its work just dont give up i tried over 30 times, but after all i am using custom rom with sense 4 i am writing that to inform you fellows. and special thanks to IRC team and @dublin for brillant help :)

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
Hey guys i bought a new sensation XE with 3.6 ics hboot 1.29.0000 and with this method i s-off my device thanks Juopunutbear coders and team it was too hard for me i tried for 6 hours i guess but i made it follow the guide quitely and dont give up the fight at all wire trick is so confusing but its work just dont give up i tried over 30 times, but after all i am using custom rom with sense 4 i am writing that to inform you fellows. and special thanks to IRC team and @dublin for brillant help :)

Hi Marty02, how did you manage to get your boot loader unlocked?

I also have a new Sensation XE with hboot 1.29.0000 I have just received the below response from HTC Dev:

"Thank you for contacting HTC,

The Escalations team has relyied to our enquiry and unfortunatley the 1.29.0000 version of the hboot version is currently not supported however we I am trying to push this forward in order to rectify the situation. I do apologise about this inconvenience to you. At the moment I cannot give an accurate date for when this will be changed however we will advertise this on the HTCDev website and through our other media channels when this facility is available

I again apologise for this and wish to assure you I am pushing for a change to this so you will be able to unlock your bootloader."

ChavitoArg

Aug 13, 2011
Ics firmware is a requirement to do this right?
The Sensations made/ensambled here in Argentina come with Gingerbread and Hboot 1.21, what should i do? Im screwed right? xD

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
Ics firmware is a requirement to do this right?
The Sensations made/ensambled here in Argentina come with Gingerbread and Hboot 1.21, what should i do? Im screwed right? xD

• i posted to you in noob friendly help thread to search here , i guess it is in this How To Unbrick Your Sensation (HTC Unbricking Project)
  • i don't remember where i read that post , put one member using hboot 1.21 S-OFFed it , it should be in one of them as i remember
  • Better ask dexter in the above link
  • also take a look at this post 141 for hboot 1.23 S-OFFed here

Reactions: ChavitoArg

cashman0712

Mar 31, 2012
Quick question. Can I use this method to achieve S-OFF with a Stock TMOUS Sensation 4G? My HBOOT with GB was 1.18.0000 but I don't know if it had changed due to the ICS update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1611981 | Original Author - http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm

Was advised by another member that a handy guide would be useful for other members, I am going to base this on what I did in my own experience :)

*** NOTE: There have been many updates with this method and all other troubleshooting steps can be found on the website - http://unlimited.io/jbtroubleshooting.htm ***

Juopunutbear Requirments:

* Be unlocked using the HTCdev bootloader unlock - http://htcdev.com/bootloader
    * Be rooted (have superuser and/or an unsecured boot image installed)
    * Have a spare microSD card, or to have backed up all contents of your SDcard, the card will be wiped
    * Have fastboot and adb drivers installed and working (windows)
    * Have usb debugging enabled
    * Have a legth of insulated wire of sufficient length to join the contact points for your device (paperclip)

NOTE: This is based on an ICS Upgraded Sensation 4.0.3 with HBOOT 1.27.0000 and Firmware 3.32.

Make sure you have at least 50% battery life for this and some free time. I also recommend a paperclip extended out with some insulation tape over the whole thing except for the tips (leave about 1CM free each end) for the wire trick.

1 - Backup and Format your SD Card

Easiest thing to do as this is essential for the program to work and you wouldn't want to risk your content.

2 - Restore to Stock 3.32 Rooted ROM

I did this because I was getting an error message only 1 other user reported and I believe it was because I was using a custom ROM (LeeDroid) with a kernel based on 3.32 from a different ROM. I kept getting an Segmentation error:
    ======== ControlBear version 0.2 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
    Old beer detected...... Please wait......
    Starting up......
    Waiting device
    Segmentation fault
    Quit....
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    It is not 100% necessary to wipe and start fresh but I expect most other users to be changing ROM's after gaining S-OFF (because you can change your CID). As I said at the start, it's based on my own experience and I always prefer to start fresh with a new ROM unless upgrading. Just flash this in Recovery as you would any normal ROM. I also suggest downloading and running SuperWipe before hand.

Here's the download - http://files.virtuousrom.com/pyramid/misc/rmk-pyramid-stock_ics_3.32.401.3-v1.zip

ALTERNATIVELY - Root your current ROM (again) with the following flashable ZIP - http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

3 - Flash boot.img from Stock 3.32 Rooted ROM in Fastboot

As you know, if you flash a ROM with a HTC Unlocked bootloader, it has to be based on the 3.32 firmware and some ROM's you flash won't boot because of this so extract it from the above ZIP and flash it in fastboot (ROM should still boot but pays to be safe).
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    4 - Download Juopunutbear S-OFF

Here's the download - MOD-Edit: Link removed

5 - Connect phone over USB with debugging enabled

Should be on by default but if not, go to Settings > Develop Option > USB Debugging

6 - Run Juopunutbear S-OFF

Let this run through it's normal procedure, you will see some prompts on your phones screen about X application being granted superuser permissions, this is normal. After about 15-30 seconds your phone will reboot and boot to the Juopunutbear screen (I believe it's a recovery like loader). DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR USB CABLE!

7 - Use Wire-Trick to obtain S-OFF

This is the fun part, make's it really seem like hacking ;) When requested by the application, use the suggested paperclip to join the SD Card casing to the connector as in the image:

Great guide here by XDA member @seb_labine - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133633

VGzQt.jpg

This initial confusion myself was that you had to hold it for an awfully accurate 1.75 seconds but that was my mistake. Here's how I got it to work.

NOTE: The below will repeatedly show on screen until you make contact, then it will say Waiting Device (as it reboots).
    Do not remove sdcard from phone
    Do wire-trick now!! Look instructions at web

Waiting device....
    Create contact for 0.5 Seconds > Release for 1.75 Seconds > Create contact for 0.5 Seconds > Release connection completely.

oSMlA.gif

If done incorrectly (as in the timing is wrong) you will get this message.
    Waiting device....
    Found device... Please wait...
    Getting into bar.....
    Raising Glass
    SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Buddies and Beer
    Checking alcohol level......
    Let's take one more......
    S-OFF Failed
    Errorcode: 66732337
    ErrorMsg: Still sober
    Quit....
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    If so, please close Juopunutbear and reopen it and it will start again.

And a great video guide by kgs1992:

Once it's done successfully, you will see this message...

======== ControlBear version 0.2 for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
    Starting up......
    Making room for beer......
    Loading sixpacks on sdcard......
    Loaded......

Waiting device....
    Rebooting device
    Please wait....
    Getting into bar.....
    Raising Glass
    SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    Seems to be just right.....
    Aaaah, nice sunny day!!
    Rebooting.......
    Waiting device....
    Rebooting bootloader.......
    Waiting device....
    Fastboot detected
    JuopunutBear S-OFF success
    Do you want to install JuopunutBear modified hboot? (y/n)
    Installing JuopunutBear hboot.....
    Waiting.....
    Flashing.......
    Rebooting......
    JuopunutBear hboot installed
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    Now, that's it and you are done. It will reboot into Bootloader and you will see this:

2etXi.jpg

NOTE: It will say ***LOCKED*** at the top of Bootloader, this is fine because it's S-OFF what's important. The Locked / Unlocked status is for the HTC Dev method.

Congratulations! Now that your in Bootloader with S-OFF, how about a nice new Recovery and change of CID?

Normal - http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-pyramid.img
    Touch - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.9-pyramid.img
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img
    And for the CID (so you can flash any ROM or RUU for latest radios and debranding)?
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111 (to change CID)
    fastboot reboot-bootloader (bootloader will reboot)
    fastboot getvar cid (it will confirm your CID as 11111111
    fastboot reboot (to reboot back in your current ROM)
    Thanks for stopping by and cheers!

ireland-flag-50.gif
    Brilliant guide, well done. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium
    After 20 more times, still no luck.

I got this after the wire trick:
    Code:
    Waiting device....
    Fastboot detected
    Rebooting device
    Please wait....
    Getting into bar.....
    Raising Glass
    SUCCESS - Taking a sip.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    SUCCESS - Beer is tasty.
    S-OFF Failed
    Errorcode: 66732337
    ErrorMsg: Still sober
    Quit....
    Press ENTER to exit.....
    That "rebooting device" I don't see in the guide above... Also the phone vibrates like a real new boot up...
    I've corrected that for you.

Your almost there, now it's just a matter of getting the timing right with the Wire-Trick. Keep at it, I assure you it will work.

BTW, can I ask what you are using to make contact? Are you making quick contact and releasing for about 1.75 seconds and quick contact again? I find it to be better to be on the early side of 1.75 seconds rather than later (in my testing).
    I can enter hboot, but s-on

If you can boot into Hboot ypou are not bricked. Boot to Hboot and select fastboot and then use either fast boot commands to flash the boot.img and system.img again.

Edit:Also I have noticed that serveral people in this thread do not understand the difference between HTC Dev unlock and S-off. HTC Dev unlock just unlocks the boot, recovery, and system portitions. The below is quoted from the HTC Dev site.

Why is my security still on (S-On) after I have unlocked my bootloader?

Your device is shipped with Security on (S-ON) to protect your system software configuration (such as the bootloader, radio, boot, recovery, system and others). After you have unlocked the bootloader, however, you will have lifted the restrictions on boot, recovery and system. This means you can customize boot, recovery and system images on your phone as you desire. You can easily see that you have successfully unlocked the bootloader by looking at the top of the screen when entering the bootloader screen. Security is left on to protect things like the radio, and SIM lock.

But the catch is that you can not flash a recovery by naming it PG58IMG.zip, placing it on the root of the SD card, and then booting into Hboot so it will flash, you have to flash it via fastboot commands. You can not flash custom kernels through Recovery, you have to flash them via fastboot commands. You can only flash system.img via recovery. You can not flash Radios, Hboot versions, or change your CID when you use the HTC Dev unlock.

With S-0ff you have full read write privileges to the NAND. This includes the boot portitions, system portitions, recovery portitions, radio portitions, and bootloader of the device.
    I used several things, like paperclips, wire from a little old computer fan, but the best thing so far seems to be insulated wire used to wrap cables what comes with new electric stuff... And then take some platic of both ends...

I've tried 100 times now.
    The fact that I am this far means that there are now problems withs roms and roots etc, am I correct? (I used ARHD, not the stock rom)
    If you have got to the point of the Wire-Trick, ROM's and Roots are irrelevant because you are well past that. It's just timing. I've done a little GIF for the best timing of the contact. Hope this helps you :)

oSMlA.gif