[RECOVERY] Ouya CWM Recovery

Search This thread

r_idn

May 27, 2013
any chance that somebody could post pictures of the recovery setup
i just booted with fast boot, but i can connect to USB and HDMI at the same time, so im blind!

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Hi guys, do you think it would it would be possible to make it so CWM could be flashed using something like Goo Manager or some other method. I have very little experience with adb and I do not want to brick my Ouya. Please:)

Unfortunately, unless Ouya releases their signing keys so we can flash it in stock recovery, or someone finds an exploit(which honestly nobody will likely be looking for since fastboot flashing works) this is probably going to be the best way. It's been tested extensively, and has worked for several of us. It would certainly be possible to create a oneclick method, but at the moment we have focused our efforts elsewhere.

Just so you know, all the steps up to where you actually flash the .zip file in clockworkmod recovery are temporary. You can do everything up to that point, then reboot the system, and it'll never know you did anything.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

any chance that somebody could post pictures of the recovery setup
i just booted with fast boot, but i can connect to USB and HDMI at the same time, so im blind!
I'm just going to go ahead and say, while I'd love to be helpful, I wouldn't be able to help you with this. Not only for the fact that it's a really bad idea to click things in recovery if you can't see them, but also because depending on what files and folders you have on your sdcard, we have absolutely no way to know how many times you'd have to press the down arrow to select the flashable .zip. Sorry. My suggestion is to get a longer hdmi cord, a longer usb cord (15ft max), and/or an extension cord. As long as you can maintain power you can always do the following:

1. plug in power to an extension cord that will allow your ouya to reach the computer and TV
2. plug in usb to computer
3. adb reboot bootloader
4. wait 30 seconds
5. fastboot devices
6. you should see the computer say the device ID, if you do, proceed, if not, power off and start over.
7. fastboot boot name of recovery file
8. wait 30 seconds
9. adb devices
10. you should see the computer say the device ID, if you do, proceed, if not, power off and start over.
11. unplug the usb but leave the power plugged in
12. walk over to the tv and plug in the hdmi
13. If your display comes up, great! proceed with the instructions in the OP. If not, get a longer cord or borrow a laptop.

r_idn

May 27, 2013
Unfortunately, unless Ouya releases their signing keys so we can flash it in stock recovery, or someone finds an exploit(which honestly nobody will likely be looking for since fastboot flashing works) this is probably going to be the best way. It's been tested extensively, and has worked for several of us. It would certainly be possible to create a oneclick method, but at the moment we have focused our efforts elsewhere.

Just so you know, all the steps up to where you actually flash the .zip file in clockworkmod recovery are temporary. You can do everything up to that point, then reboot the system, and it'll never know you did anything.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

I'm just going to go ahead and say, while I'd love to be helpful, I wouldn't be able to help you with this. Not only for the fact that it's a really bad idea to click things in recovery if you can't see them, but also because depending on what files and folders you have on your sdcard, we have absolutely no way to know how many times you'd have to press the down arrow to select the flashable .zip. Sorry. My suggestion is to get a longer hdmi cord, a longer usb cord (15ft max), and/or an extension cord. As long as you can maintain power you can always do the following:

1. plug in power to an extension cord that will allow your ouya to reach the computer and TV
2. plug in usb to computer
3. adb reboot bootloader
4. wait 30 seconds
5. fastboot devices
6. you should see the computer say the device ID, if you do, proceed, if not, power off and start over.
7. fastboot boot name of recovery file
8. wait 30 seconds
9. adb devices
10. you should see the computer say the device ID, if you do, proceed, if not, power off and start over.
11. unplug the usb but leave the power plugged in
12. walk over to the tv and plug in the hdmi
13. If your display comes up, great! proceed with the instructions in the OP. If not, get a longer cord or borrow a laptop.

gotcha. any chance that there's anything like Droid@Screen that will display a snap of my current screen, but actually work while in recovery?
Droid@Screen sees the device but marks it as offline.

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
I'll look into making a Mac/Windows/Linux one click, but no promises (or ETAs, lol). I agree with skywalker. Time might be better spent getting other things working on the Ouya (Custom ROMs, kernels, tweaks, etc). That way a custom recovery is useful!

adb really isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. It's a good skill to have. Don't worry too much about bricking your Ouya. I made the zip so all the dangerous stuff (i.e. overwriting the recovery partition) would be automated in the script. I wanted to reduce the potential for bricking.

I would write an Android app to flash the recovery, but you'd still need superuser installed to run it...(catch 22)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
I'll look into making a Mac/Windows/Linux one click, but no promises (or ETAs, lol). I agree with skywalker. Time might be better spent getting other things working on the Ouya (Custom ROMs, kernels, tweaks, etc). That way a custom recovery is useful!

adb really isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. It's a good skill to have. Don't worry too much about bricking your Ouya. I made the zip so all the dangerous stuff (i.e. overwriting the recovery partition) would be automated in the script. I wanted to reduce the potential for bricking.

I would write an Android app to flash the recovery, but you'd still need superuser installed to run it...(catch 22)

I have a 2 yo tegra 2 tablet that I can experiment with doing adb and fastboot. It is safe because I can NVFlash back to stock if I mess up. But, others may not have a device they can play with. Wish me luck
As for the android app to flash the recovery but needing supersu can't we root the Ouya before installing recovery then we could install SU and then flash recovery? Do we need recovery before we root?

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
As for the android app to flash the recovery but needing supersu can't we root the Ouya before installing recovery then we could install SU and then flash recovery? Do we need recovery before we root?

To have superuser run correctly, you need a different version of the command line program "su". You use adb to load it (as well as superuser and busy box) on the Ouya. No point avoiding adb at that point.

Eventually we could make a "one click" with a nice menu that would automate installing the alternate version of "su", install superuser and busy box, and flash the CWM recovery.

Reactions: lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
To have superuser run correctly, you need a different version of the command line program "su". You use adb to load it (as well as superuser and busy box) on the Ouya. No point avoiding adb at that point.

Eventually we could make a "one click" with a nice menu that would automate installing the alternate version of "su", install superuser and busy box, and flash the CWM recovery.

Well, if you and sonofskywaker3 gets something working there will definitly be some coffee donations coming your way. I am a firm supporter of the development community.

Reactions: mybook4

wyllem

Jun 9, 2010
Question

So i got this installed reboot hit backup and it sits there with the droid spinning till i give up and unplug

any idea how long the back should take and or help

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
So i got this installed reboot hit backup and it sits there with the droid spinning till i give up and unplug

any idea how long the back should take and or help

I've never done one. Skywalker, you did a backup, right? Did it complete for you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

wyllem

Jun 9, 2010
I've never done one. Skywalker, you did a backup, right? Did it complete for you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Took like 10 minutes just left it walked away got samich came back it was done now i need a rom to drop and see what happen dont really care if it breaks

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Yeah backup worked for me but took about 10 minutes also. I just finished building CM10 and no surprise, it doesn't flash, but I'm going to release an OuyaPlus rom soon that will just be deodexed with some extra apps.

Reactions: mybook4

FrostyF7

Apr 23, 2012
Ann Arbor
steamcommunity.com
I have a good feeling about this little box :)

Also has anyone thought of overclocking it? It seems like an interesting idea seeing that it has adequate cooling. And it's also a possibility with this being released.

Last edited:

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
I have a good feeling about this little box :)

Also has anyone thought of overclocking it? It seems like an interesting idea seeing that it has adequate cooling. And it's also a possibility with this being released.

Yes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Haha, awesome reply. But seriously, now that kernel source is available, hopefully someone knowledgable will come along and put some good custom kernels together. If not, well you've got me, and if I can ever get this cursed CM10 Rom to boot, custom kernel is next on my learning list. This ouya is turning into quite the educational toy. Hard to believe I got this thing to play games on, and have spent barely 15 minutes doing that since I got it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial CWM Recovery for Ouya

One-Click Style Method

To help people get up and going quickly, I've turned the steps below into an automated script package.

The attached OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip archive contains automated scripts to install CWM Recovery.
    Whether you use Linux, Mac OSX, or Windows 7, all are invited to join in the fun!

Before you begin, you need to have your Ouya hooked up to a TV and powered on.
    You also need to have a micro usb cable handy.

1) Download the OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip file and extract it (a folder on your desktop is fine).
    2) Open the folder and you'll see a folder for each operating system. Open the folder for the OS of your choice.
    3a) For Linux and Mac OSX users, run InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.sh in terminal by navigating the folder and running "./InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.sh" (you might just be able to run it by double clicking it. It depends on your setup).
    3b) For Windows 7 users, double click the batch file InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.bat
    4) Follow the on screen instructions. If you get an error saying there was no device found, run the script again (sometimes adb is finicky).
    5) If all went well, you should be brought to CWM recovery.

If you have any trouble, seeking help is more efficient if you post the script's output to a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/) and post a link to it (I/others can see what happened).

Link to OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip - http://invisiblek.org/ouya/OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip

P.S. If anyone has proper hosting and would like to host OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip, please let me know and I'll change the link.
    Thanks to invisiblek we have some more permanent hosting than a Dropbox account. Hosting costs money guys, so be sure to drop invisiblek a few coins if you can spare it.

Manual Method

Steps to install CWM on Ouya:

1) Perform the SDK Setup portion of thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272266 and install su, busybox, and superuser from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270589. This is done so we can get adb access and the necessary tools on the Ouya
    2) Download the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img file and the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip.
    3) Transfer the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip to your Ouya's internal sdcard (you can do this with "adb push /path/to/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip /sdcard/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip"). Leave the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img on your computer.
    4) Connect your computer to the Ouya's micro-usb port (if it isn't already), connect a USB keyboard to the Ouya (bluetooth won't work), and run "adb reboot bootloader"
    5) Wait 30 seconds (seriously)
    6) Use fastboot to boot CWM by running "fastboot boot /path/to/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img". This boots from our CWM recovery without writing to any partitions.
    7) Using your USB keyboard's arrow and enter keys, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", and "OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip". This flashable zip writes CWM to the recovery partition and renames a pesky file that causes the stock recovery to be written on reboot.
    8) Select "go back", and "reboot system now" to return to Andriod (CWM will ask "ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. FIX?". Make sure you select "NO")
    9) Since we don't have any volume or home keys on the Ouya, to get back into recovery, you need to run "adb reboot recovery". Go ahead and try it once the Ouya has been sitting in Android for a minute or so. If all went well, you should reboot into CWM recovery!

This method was generated from the work done in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292556. If you feel like pressing the thanks button, don't just thank me. Also thank professorpoptart, sonofskywalker3, and rayman. And obviously this is possible because of the fine folks behind CWM and Cyanogenmod.
    Damnit I finally get this to reboot and all i get is OUYA with a red exclamation point

Then over time it just reboots itself back into the Ouya Menu

What am I doing wrong here?

Attach a USB keyboard and when you see the red exclamation point, hit the Home key to bring up thr CWM menu. Make sure the keyboard is detected by looking for lights on the keyboard when hitting the caps lock or number lock.
    I got another OUYA for a friend and this script no longer works. Not sure if it's with the newest firmware or what. I just keep getting "device not found".

My OUYA shows up in windows system properties but I cannot connect to it with the program or adb/fastboot

Please help. None of the drivers install either. Is this something they broke in the system update? Root however still works fine.

I installed fine on the latest version of Ouya with my laptop OS Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

I bought the Ouya from a guy on ebay and he tried to root it but couldn't figure it out but after hours and hours or trial and error I figured it out.

First, make sure you download the latest Andrown SDK installed:

1. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download > Developer Tools > Download > Click checkbox > select 32 or 64 bit.

Note: Make sure you install all of the extras and for best results I would install every package.

Note: For Windows 8 you need to disable driver signing. Google it, it's easy.

2. Make sure on your Ouya that you have USB DEBUGGING check off and turned ON.

3. You should at this point have a device in Device Manager under Portable Devices called Ouya with no exclamation point and also under USB Composite Devices you should see another deivce with an exclamation point. The one with the exclamation point is the one you want to manually install the drivers to.

4. I can't remember which package but one of these worked for me. Just search XDA for either:

1. OUYA the Wiz Recovery 1.0 - NOTE: This is the only one that worked for installing recovery.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovxni3vrifdb77d/OUYA_TheWiz_Recovery_1.0 (1).zip

2. OneClickOuyaRecovery

3. Ouya Safe Recovery Installer

4. Ouya Toolbox 1.1.2

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.