How to root 1.4.1 (or any other version) using just an sdcard {easy}

Search This thread

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
I'm writing the image (72%) but this was downloaded before your recent additon to allow unknown sources. Should I abort, redownload and re-write the image or is the unknown source toggle something that can be added later?

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Sweet! Thanks!

In looking at the SD card after writing the image it only created a 71MB FAT32 partition. Does this seem correct?

I question it because the image file was just under 2GB.

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Description:

This is a image, and flasher for windows designed to make it so that anyone can flash make a magic SD card to load up CWM, and root their device. THIS IS A UNIVERSAL ROOT, AND CAN BE DONE ON ANY FIRMWARE.

Why:
There are way to many rooting methods out there for this device, and with so many rooting methods, it is very hard to help trouble shoot a device, and make it so that rooting is available to everyone. Also with the 1.4.1 breaking normal root, it is very hard to teach people how to flash back to the previous 1.4.0, without stepping them through it, and then they have to beat the gun, and root and block OTA's. Also there is a lot of "geometry" involved in making a bootable SD.

What is it?:
There are two things in this package, the first is a flasher, and an image. These can be used to flash an SD card from windows with CWM, as a bootable SD. The second package is a CWM flashable zip that will add su, superuser, gapps, and the side loading package to your Nook.

What do I need?:

You will need:
  • SD Card >2GB (all information will be lost, so back it up)
  • Windows
  • Nook Tablet (any Firmware)
Credits:
Loglud
Indirect
Nemith
Bauwks
Instructions:

1. Download the packages listed in the download folder, and extract them to your desktop.
  2. extract ALL the files from the single zip.
    NOTE: Do not extract the .zip with superuser and su.
  3. Open the image flasher .exe, and browse for the .img that you extracted from the same zip
  4. Put your SD Card into your nook or reader, and select the drive letter from the drop down on the right.
  5. Press write, and wait
  6. Once it has completed open the SD Card from the Windows browser and place the .zip in the root of the SD card.
  7. Turn your Nook off.
  8. Turn your Nook on while holding both the N+Power button. Your device will turn on, and then turn off after holding it.
    NOTE: Do not let go of either button until your device has powered on and off again.
  9. Put the SD Card into your nook.
    NOTE: If it is already in there eject it and then put it back in.
  10. Power your Nook on normally.
  11. You will see a picture of N on the screen followed by a box with a white background followed by CWM booting up.
  12. Select flash update.zip.
  13. Select Select from SD card.
  14. Select your .zip
  15. Reboot device
    NOTE: Remove the SD card after your device reboots as if you don't it will continue to boot from the SD card.
Downloads:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwhzaixwwh2015

Hmm. Unfortunately at step 11 I get a Factory Reset prompt. Power to Exit ... Home to continue.

CWM does not load ...

Edit: I checked the MD5 and it was fine. Going to re-write the image using a different SD. Will report back
Edit 2: Actually the MD5 was from Gapps. Do you have one for the other file?
Edit3: Re-downloaded and generated MD5. Same as original download. 592CDCEEC30DA11908E67280155FDAE3

NT is running 1.4.1
Purchased around 12/26/11

If 2nd card doesn't work I will attempt the MAC instructions. It Didn't

If that don't work I will install Linux in a VM and try that. Recomendations on flavor? See Below

Wifey was having a hissy. Guess she figured that this was supposed to happen in 5 minutes .. That said I simply downgraded to 1.4.0 and used the tried and true method. Come to think about it I believe it took about 5 minutes
biggrin.gif

I really wanted CWM on her tablet because I am familar with it from other devices but at least for now "she" is happy. If there is anything I can do to assist let me know and I will hijack it while she is sleeping. Disapointed this didn't work for me.
frown.gif

Awwh screw it ... I'm gonna go get one of these tomorrow. Too much good stuff here. Thanks Indirect and all the other Dev's who sacrifice their time. I'll try the MAC and Linux methods after I pick up one of these bad boys!!

Last edited:

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
OK, the disk image works just fine.

Dean;
Try the post right above this, and don't change anything, just format using the flasher (will automatically write all of the partitions as they should be), and see if it works. (Though I'm about 90% sure it should)
Yes, this works! Then, as a test, I took a working Indirect image and backed up the partition, then resized it slightly, reformatted it, and restored the files, and it no longer worked. That means that the busybox versions of fdisk and mkdosfs do something that keeps the SDcard from being able to boot, which explains my prior difficulty with this process.

As another test, I replaced Indirect's flashing_boot.img and boot.img with ones from bauwks, and those also work, so indeed we have a general/universal SDcard boot technique for the NT. As a result:
  1. I will be recommending in my "v1.4.1 full root ..." thread in the "NT General" forum section here, that while the rooting method in that thread still works, a more general (and easier) technique is to be found in this thread.
  2. Since my thread no longer needs active support (ie, this thread is always available), I will be returning my NT over this weekend to B&N, in time for the extended holiday return privilege. It's a nice device (especially the battery life), but the market is changing. Since I also have an NC and Acer A500, I don't really need the NT any more, and I'm tired of the B&N hoops. Beside, I'd really like an e-Ink (B&W or color) device that fully supports Android.

jotekman

Jun 18, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Another question. I have been looking around here and on the net. While slightly off topic, it might help people who are thinking of updating to 1.4.1 and rerooting.
Is there any reason, performance or enhancement wise, to go restock (after root and the 9.9.9 OTA protection) 1.4.0, then update to 1.4.1 and then reroot? Or are they so minor that it really doesn't matter. All I could find anywhere for a changelog are "minor performance enhancements". Thanks in advance!

moukazwina

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks a million to "indirect"

I had a rooted NT, and decided to try this rooting method. If you know how to read and follow instructions. It works!
Those bashing "indirect", shame on you. The guy just saved the day for all those that could not easily get adb drivers in Windows.
Thanks a million dude.
This works perfectly.
Just a quick question: does this open the door to easily installing ICS on the NT?

Last edited:

ShadowDrake

Sep 22, 2008
Muskegon, MI
I only have a 1GB card around that isn't SDHC. Could we possibly get the img file reformatted to be only a 256 (or even 128mb) image? This way it'll work on almost anyone's SD card.

VanillaIcee

Jun 17, 2010
For some reason the gapps_and_root.zip installs but does not root my device (which was a 1.4.0 device that was rooted, then updated to 1.4.1).

Any suggestions? I have CWM installed in the recovery partition. I've tried removing Superuser.apk and su via adb and reapplying the zip through CWM but it does not work. Is their another root zip I can try? Could it be the version of su?

SOLVED: Had to clear the settings of Superuser via manage applications. Very strange.

Last edited:

Maxation

Feb 8, 2010
I am having the same issue as Land Master. Unfortunately at step 11 I get a Factory Reset prompt. Power to Exit ... Home to continue. Suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
I had a rooted NT, and decided to try this rooting method. If you know how to read and follow instructions. It works!
Those bashing "indirect", shame on you. The guy just saved the day for all those that could not easily get adb drivers in Windows.
Thanks a million dude.
This works perfectly.
Just a quick question: does this open the door to easily installing ICS on the NT?

Maybe it's just that I haven't had my first cup of coffee this morning but a portion of this comment really irks me.

Not only do I know how to read but I read nearly every thread in the Dev section from OP to end before I even decided to go this route. The issue I experienced has nothing to do with my comprehension as evidenced my my ability to use the original (apparently not as Noob friendly) method successfully on the first go.

All this said I have already thanked Indirect and the other Dev's that make these things possible and will continue to try the method in hopes of determining what caused MY issue. In my mind this is at least one way that I can CONTRIBUTE.

ShadowDrake

Sep 22, 2008
Muskegon, MI
I only have a 1GB card around that isn't SDHC. Could we possibly get the img file reformatted to be only a 256 (or even 128mb) image? This way it'll work on almost anyone's SD card.

Follow-up to this: My 8 GB SHDC card which originally came with my old Evo 4G worked fine when formatted this way. I remember reading somewhere that they don't work.

But now the N button isn't working. I know there's a fix around for that somewhere but I don't remember where.

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Follow-up to this: My 8 GB SHDC card which originally came with my old Evo 4G worked fine when formatted this way. I remember reading somewhere that they don't work.

But now the N button isn't working. I know there's a fix around for that somewhere but I don't remember where.

Fix for the broken N button is to hold the Power + N button in simultaneously until the device turns on and off. You do this 8 times and on the 9th time you simply start the device which will prompt you to do a factory reset.

I haven't had the need to perform this but after the reset others have stated that all is well with the button.

ShadowDrake

Sep 22, 2008
Muskegon, MI
Fix for the broken N button is to hold the Power + N button in simultaneously until the device turns on and off. You do this 8 times and on the 9th time you simply start the device which will prompt you to do a factory reset.

I haven't had the need to perform this but after the reset others have stated that all is well with the button.

Alright. But I never managed to get that to work when attempting to downgrade to 1.4.0. I bought this NT just before christmas.

I'll give it a try again though. I assume I'll have to reapply the root + gapps zip. They didn't all seem to install, anyway. superuser and talk did but vending did not.

Edit: After doing a factory reset as such (finally got that to work). It went back to 1.4.1. I re-applied the zip from the SD card and no n-button. It was working fine before the zip. Looks like I'm on the hunt for another solution.

Last edited:

Rforce1

Nov 18, 2011
Thank You SOOooo much!

Indirect....you da man! I've been lurking/waiting for this...THANK YOU!

Will be installing this tomorrow....when I have some time.

You asked for FUTURE SUGGESTIONS:
How about a feature on the SD card to return the Nook to stock for us chicken-sh*t newbs who are paranoid about rooting! (insert flame here :eek:) If this is already there, or an utterly stupid request please disregard....just thought I would add, as you were asking for suggestions on your first thread.

Again, thanks for contributing so much, and making our nook into way more than just a book reader!

ShadowDrake

Sep 22, 2008
Muskegon, MI
Indirect....you da man! I've been lurking/waiting for this...THANK YOU!

Will be installing this tomorrow....when I have some time.

You asked for FUTURE SUGGESTIONS:
How about a feature on the SD card to return the Nook to stock for us chicken-sh*t newbs who are paranoid about rooting! (insert flame here :eek:) If this is already there, or an utterly stupid request please disregard....just thought I would add, as you were asking for suggestions on your first thread.

Again, thanks for contributing so much, and making our nook into way more than just a book reader!

You can return to stock using the 8-failed-boots method.

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
@ShadowDrake

Just my .02 but you might want to try again to downgrade and keep attempting to force the reset. I believe this will insure that future "resets" will put your NT back to 1.4.0. instead of 1.4.1

Just trying to eliminate some variables here while you try to get this latest method to work. Kind of like a "fresh" slate.

ShadowDrake

Sep 22, 2008
Muskegon, MI
Alright. But I never managed to get that to work when attempting to downgrade to 1.4.0. I bought this NT just before christmas.

I'll give it a try again though. I assume I'll have to reapply the root + gapps zip. They didn't all seem to install, anyway. superuser and talk did but vending did not.

Edit: After doing a factory reset as such (finally got that to work). It went back to 1.4.1. I re-applied the zip from the SD card and no n-button. It was working fine before the zip. Looks like I'm on the hunt for another solution.

Follow-up to this again.

TO ANYONE WHO HAS A NT WITH 1.4.1 FIRMWARE PRELOADED:
Flashing this will make your N button stop working. The market will be missing. HomeCatcher won't work. It will be, in general, messed up.

The fix:
Power off the nook. Hold the power button when starting and continue to hold it. It will ask if you want to perform a data reset. Press home twice to confirm. It will wipe data BUT NOT do a system restore.

Let the tablet boot back up, sign back in to your BN account. Press the home button twice, it'll ask what you want to use, check the box "Always use this app" and tap homecatcher. Then it will ask which launcher you want to use. And it's your choice here.

Enjoy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This method uses the files and method to install CWM from Goncezilla I just threw together the method to flash superuser and I'll work on getting rid of

Features of this root: It installs su, superuser apk, gapps

Future Features: Suggest something.

Note: Windows instructions are in this post

Changelog:
    2.2: Removed all additions, sticking with basics for now.
    2.1: Removed unknown source fix, removed adw and homecatcher due to problems with Gapps.
    2.0: Sets unknown sources to be allowed since B&N wanted to play "hard to get" with that. :) Enjoy guys.
    1.5: Included adw and homecatcher apk's, NTHidden settings as well.
    1.0 Initial zip / method release.
    Linux only instructions (unless you substitute the instructions with a known windows equivalent)
    1. Setup SDCard
    Using a new SDCard (not one you have info stored on) make a new MSDOS partition table and add a 50 MB FAT32 partition as the first primary partition. Then make sure you enable to boot and lda flags.

Any SDCARD larger than 50 MB should work but I used an extra 2GB laying around. You can add other partitions to the card if you want, but it is not necessary to allocate the entire card. Any added partitions would need to be manually mounted on your Nook anyway.
    I used GParted on my Ubuntu machine to do this but any formating tool should work.

2. Copy Files onto SDCard
    You can grab the files I used here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dr6bqau194389te

Just UnZip the files directly to the root of the boot partition you created above (make sure flashing_boot.img, u-boot.bin, and boot.img are on the root not the folder SDCARD)

3. Insert SDCARD into NT
    Now, with your NT powered off, eject the SDCARD you just created from your computer and insert it into the tablet. Then just turn it on and VOLA! You should now be in CWM!

Now you just need to download this zip file:
    http://goo-inside.me/apps/Indirect/Nook_tablet/Flashable_Zips/Gapps_and_root.zip
    just put onto the /mnt/media/ directory or you can push to /emmc/ while in CWM.

Credits:
    loglud for taking the time to write instructions for windows.
    ChainsDD for superuser and SU
    Bauwkz for the exploit to be able to make a bootable sdcard
    Nemith for the recovery
    Goncezilla for the sdcard method (I didn't feel like typing it all out.)
    Myself for the flashable zip.

Note: If anyone has 1.4.1 installed and uses this, I need a tester to see if the old package manager will work or not (it should.)

Don't mirror my files because I only use goo-inside to track download stats.

Proof it works (Screenshots)
    jbhyecjSyiubZp.png

jDIykAyGSS9x5.png

jJFppURSrvDJ7.png
    Description:
    This is a image, and flasher for windows designed to make it so that anyone can flash make a magic SD card to load up CWM, and root their device. THIS IS A UNIVERSAL ROOT, AND CAN BE DONE ON ANY FIRMWARE.

Why:
    There are way to many rooting methods out there for this device, and with so many rooting methods, it is very hard to help trouble shoot a device, and make it so that rooting is available to everyone. Also with the 1.4.1 breaking normal root, it is very hard to teach people how to flash back to the previous 1.4.0, without stepping them through it, and then they have to beat the gun, and root and block OTA's. Also there is a lot of "geometry" involved in making a bootable SD.

What is it?:
    There are two things in this package, the first is a flasher, and an image. These can be used to flash an SD card from windows with CWM, as a bootable SD. The second package is a CWM flashable zip that will add su, superuser, gapps, and the side loading package to your Nook.

What do I need?:
    You will need:
    • SD Card >2GB (all information will be lost, so back it up)
    • Windows
    • Nook Tablet (any Firmware)

Credits:
    Loglud
    Indirect
    Nemith
    Bauwks
    Instructions:

1. Download the packages listed in the download folder, and extract them to your desktop.
    2. extract ALL the files from the single zip.
      NOTE: Do not extract the .zip with superuser and su.
    3. Open the image flasher .exe, and browse for the .img that you extracted from the same zip
    4. Put your SD Card into your nook or reader, and select the drive letter from the drop down on the right.
    5. Press write, and wait
    6. Once it has completed open the SD Card from the Windows browser and place the .zip in the root of the SD card.
    7. Turn your Nook off.
    8. Turn your Nook on while holding both the N+Power button. Your device will turn on, and then turn off after holding it.
      NOTE: Do not let go of either button until your device has powered on and off again.
    9. Put the SD Card into your nook.
      NOTE: If it is already in there eject it and then put it back in.
    10. Power your Nook on normally.
    11. You will see a picture of N on the screen followed by a box with a white background followed by CWM booting up.
    12. Select flash update.zip.
    13. Select Select from SD card.
    14. Select your .zip
    15. Reboot device
      NOTE: Remove the SD card after your device reboots as if you don't it will continue to boot from the SD card.

Downloads:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwhzaixwwh2015
    I just spent the past 3 days trying to root my NT 16gb which auto updated to 1.4.3. I still cant get it to go. Are there any clear instructions on how to do this?

Ok here you go.

Put your SD Card into your computer.

Download the CWM_SD_flash_and_exe from here and unzip them into a folder.

Right Click on the included Win32DiskImager choose Run As Administrator

Make sure that the drive link under Device is showing your SD Card. Change it if it isn't, then click on the folder.

Navigate to the cwm_sd_flashing_boot.img that was included with the zip, then click save.

Then click on Write on Win 32 Disk Imager. It will take ~5 minutes. Once it's done, click exit.

Download the update.zip from here and copy it to your SD Card.

(Optional) Download a Recovery zip image from this thread and put it on the SD Card as well.
    Edit: Most recent CWM can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33730135&postcount=1

Eject the SD Card and put it into your nook.

Power on the Nook and you should see a white background with a box on it, then it should boot into the Recovery.

From there, go to Install Zip from SD Card > Choose Zip from External SD Card and install the update.zip you just downloaded.

(Optional) From the same location in the Recovery, install the Recovery image you just downloaded.

Power off your nook, remove the SD Card, and power it back on. It should boot normally and you should now be rooted.

Warning: I take no responsibility for broken nooks or other damage that may happen. This has worked for me, but that is no indicator if it will work for you.
    You could have made a request rather than bashing. I would have said indirect, can you use zips rather than spitting patents and bashing. That's the thing that makes people quit projects because its not worth the headaches. Maybe resstate bashes as suggestions it helps.

I trust Indirect as well, and have credited him over on the B&N forums. Did you know that? It's the authors of the closed-source compression software that I have the issue with.

As for trolling, if you look at my contributions to repartitioning the NC or rooting the NT, you will find that I have the first root of 1.4.1. Did you know that? I also think Indirect's method here is superior to mine (because it is more general), which is why I am interested in it, and will promote it.

Before you go around with your tiny post/thanks counts calling people "trolls", you might try something even easier than trolling. It's called reading.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Yes I am, and I thank you very much. I think this makes the collection easier for a lot of people.

Hey, both of you, shut up and keep it out of my thread? ^_^
    Clarified Instructions (Revised 2012-02-09)

2012-02-09

Grab This Zip File which includes the application that allows you to write aka "Flash" an .img file (in Windows) and use it along with the Image File (.img) from THIS THREAD. This should be the latest and greatest. The Update.zip file is already included in the image so wherever the instructions say to replace it you can ignore that step. Questions, Comments, Concerns and issues should be directed to the new thread.

Repeated requests to update the OP have been ignored and the instructions below are depreciated because the files have all been revised multiple times and the links are no longer valid.

As someone who has successfully used the Windows Method from This Post I will attempt to clarify the steps.

Indirect has been busy working with other Developers on a Cyanogen Rom for this device and as such has enlisted the help of Brianf21 to troubleshoot issues with the files originally linked in that post above. Unfortunately that post OR the OP have not been revised. This is what you need to do.

1. Download the file listed in Post 14
    2. Download the Revised .img fromThis Post
    3. Download the Revised Update.zip file from This Post
    4. Extract the zip file from step 1 and replace the .img file with the one you downloaded in step 2
    5. Perform Steps 3-5 from Post 14. Make sure you select the NEW .img file from step 2
    6. Perform step 6 from post 14 using the zip file from step 3. NOTE: This zip file will already be on the SD card but NEEDS to be replaced
    7. Complete Steps 7-15 in Post 14

For those of you receiving the Factory Reset screen when trying to boot into CWM. You need to have the USB cable connected. I suggest you connect it prior to Step 7 from post 14. You can use the NT as your card reader as well if you have successfully installed the drivers and just leave the cable connected throughout the entire process.

@Indirect ... I know you are busy but if you get a chance I believe you should add a link to this post in post 14. It will probably save some of us from answering a lot of questions. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Nevermind I found the update.zip link in a post. Might want to update the windows directions with a link so idiots like me don't keep bugging everyone :D

I was typing the clarified instructions while you figured this out. Good job!