Caledonia
Link: Xtreme Guard Nexus 7 Screen Protector

1-10 scale short stick

Cut: 8
Grip: 6
Clarity: 7 (initial)
Ease of install: 2
Glare: 9

Starting with cut, I gotta say the cut is not perfect, but it is pretty good. I did notice flaws near the corners and on the cut-out for the front facing camera. Not a big deal but this is a review right? The cut is definitely not a deal breaker. (pics below, before install)

20120726_104957.jpg

20120726_105038.jpg

Ok now when I talk about grip, I'm talkin about how grippy it is during touchscreen use, not just holding the device. There is nothing I hate more than when I am doing some swipe gestures on the screen and I feel like my finger catches goin along here. I have a real problem with the invisible shield line because of this and that is why I don't bother with them. I didn't know at the time what kind of a screen protector the xtreme gaurd one was when I purchased it, but it was (still is) a cheap screen protector for the size device that it is made for. This protector is similar to the invisible shield line, but much better in my opinion. Still grippy (hence the rating above), but not terribly so. I will probably keep this on the device for protection sake until I find a different option.

Clarity is not bad at all. I gave it an initial rating of 7 because I just installed it and it has yet to dry. And that gives me a good segue into install.

I gotta say install was a pain in the butt. This is a wet install screen per the directions. All other wet application screen protectors I have used on my devices, the glue seemed to de-activate when wet. Not this one, it was sticking the whole time I was trying to get it on there. I actually ended up puddling soap/water solution right onto the screen of the N7 to keep the screen from sticking as I rolled it on there. I took me 2 tries to get it on there with minimal bubbles. Now I am no professional screen protector installer, but should I have to be to get this done with minimal difficulty and frustration? The next hour after I got it on the screen was spent trying to scrape the bubbles of water and air out from under the screen, which was difficult because this protector is soo dang sticky! It probably would have been easier if I could have found my rubber screen squeegie instead of the card scrapper they provide with the kit. After install pics below, you can see some of the bubbles left over even after scrapping the screen for an hour.

20120726_111529.jpg

Lastly glare: I think this thing actually reduced the glare a bit. It not being dry yet may affect this, so I will have to keep an eye on it to see. With it being still wet the peaks and valleys of the bubbles still present maybe the affecting factor here.

Well that's it over all not a bad protector in my opinion, but not the best. I myself prefer the harder dry install protectors, so am a little biased. But at this price point it's hard to nitpick too bad on this one.

LouZiffer

Mar 16, 2010
I agree with your review as an initial impression. After 4 days with this protector on, it's a LOT less grippy on the exterior now. Within the first day and a half all of the water bubbles disappeared. The only problem I have with this protector now is very faint vertical "rainbow" lines in the center. They aren't noticeable unless I'm actively looking for them, though.

saniyal

May 4, 2011
i got xtremeguards for my n7 and my touchscreen would barely respond i got them to give me a refund

teng247

Apr 1, 2011
agreed, i tried installing this because of how cheap it was and ended up getting so frustrated that i trashed it. Not only that but the material stretches so once i got halfway done w/ minimal bubbles, i noticed i had almost 5cm's overlapping the top of the N7.

monkeefied

Jun 23, 2008
Caledonia
agreed, i tried installing this because of how cheap it was and ended up getting so frustrated that i trashed it. Not only that but the material stretches so once i got halfway done w/ minimal bubbles, i noticed i had almost 5cm's overlapping the top of the N7.

Yea I've had that experience also when dealing with the softer wet application screen protectors.

I'm also starting to notice the vericle lines, weird....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010

so frustrating, i did the same :mad:

noobandriod

Jul 13, 2012

LOL, I did the same thing. IMHO these are POS. Extremely difficult to install (wet+electronic is not a good mix-almost f'ed up my N7 speakers) and scratches way too easy. After a while of trying to install it I just gave up. I could never get a really clean install and kept retrying until I finally said screw it and toss it. Been happy ever since. It's just too bad I wasted $7.5 on these.

edgie13

Jan 11, 2012
I purchased four of these. I followed the instructions when installing the first one and ended up trying to reapply it twice. I decided to try the applicator spray and rubber squeegee that came with my Zagg protector for my S II. The spray and rubber squeegee allowed me to put the protector on my N7 the first try and with very little effort.

kl323

May 8, 2011
Adding my 2 cents.

Just installed today. Despite the initial dirty black grits on it, a good wash got them all off. The cuts are good enough for a nice fit. However, if you opt for the full body protector, the back sticker will not cover the silver plastic rim. That kinda sucks because I've already noticed some dings and scratches at those vulnerable areas.

As for clarity, gotta wait till tomorrow to see. In terms of responsiveness, no problems at all. I waited about 30 minutes, booted the N7 up and it was responded as usual.

I use dish soap with water. I'd use very very little soap. Enough to make very few bubbles.

monkeefied

Jun 23, 2008
Caledonia
I purchased four of these. I followed the instructions when installing the first one and ended up trying to reapply it twice. I decided to try the applicator spray and rubber squeegee that came with my Zagg protector for my S II. The spray and rubber squeegee allowed me to put the protector on my N7 the first try and with very little effort.

I wish I would have been able to find these items, they are hands down the best tools for the job. The spray sprays a super fine mist that gives the most even light coverage that is perfect for screen protector installation, and the rubber squeegee doesn't mar the surface.

alpine2g

Jul 20, 2012
This was my first wet install, others have been dry screen protectors and was smooth. The cut is great on mine, the tablet responds any where I touch. When you install it, give it a day to dry before complaining. If you ever had your car window tinted, it's the same way!!! Air bubbles the first 24-48 hours and it goes away.

Good grief.

hunter3160

Nov 13, 2010
Last edited:

testaccount

May 17, 2007
thanks for the pic, did you got the regular or anti glare one?

i ordered the regular one but am thinking maybe i should have went with the anti glare

edgie13

Jan 11, 2012
I applied the protector yesterday. The screen seems pretty unresponsive. I'm going to give it another few hours to cure properly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

simplyphp

Nov 9, 2009
After I let mine sit overnight its 100% perfect, no bubbles underneath and it's nearly as responsive as without it. Glad to have the high level of protection at just a couple bucks.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Mines pretty great too. I had a few tiny bubbles after
24 hours but I pushed them out. Now it looks perfect. Much better then my first install of an XO brand on my galaxy nexus.

I also slapped one on my kids Galaxy Tab. His looks great too.

Textile feedback isn't as noticeable as the XO. Really I dont even notice a difference in usage from a nekkid screen. Sure it has a slightly different feel but wet protectors usually feel tacky at first and get better after about a week. If this gets any better ill have to buy another for my galaxy nexus while they're on sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Link: Xtreme Guard Nexus 7 Screen Protector

1-10 scale short stick

Cut: 8
    Grip: 6
    Clarity: 7 (initial)
    Ease of install: 2
    Glare: 9

Starting with cut, I gotta say the cut is not perfect, but it is pretty good. I did notice flaws near the corners and on the cut-out for the front facing camera. Not a big deal but this is a review right? The cut is definitely not a deal breaker. (pics below, before install)

20120726_104957.jpg

20120726_105038.jpg

Ok now when I talk about grip, I'm talkin about how grippy it is during touchscreen use, not just holding the device. There is nothing I hate more than when I am doing some swipe gestures on the screen and I feel like my finger catches goin along here. I have a real problem with the invisible shield line because of this and that is why I don't bother with them. I didn't know at the time what kind of a screen protector the xtreme gaurd one was when I purchased it, but it was (still is) a cheap screen protector for the size device that it is made for. This protector is similar to the invisible shield line, but much better in my opinion. Still grippy (hence the rating above), but not terribly so. I will probably keep this on the device for protection sake until I find a different option.

Clarity is not bad at all. I gave it an initial rating of 7 because I just installed it and it has yet to dry. And that gives me a good segue into install.

I gotta say install was a pain in the butt. This is a wet install screen per the directions. All other wet application screen protectors I have used on my devices, the glue seemed to de-activate when wet. Not this one, it was sticking the whole time I was trying to get it on there. I actually ended up puddling soap/water solution right onto the screen of the N7 to keep the screen from sticking as I rolled it on there. I took me 2 tries to get it on there with minimal bubbles. Now I am no professional screen protector installer, but should I have to be to get this done with minimal difficulty and frustration? The next hour after I got it on the screen was spent trying to scrape the bubbles of water and air out from under the screen, which was difficult because this protector is soo dang sticky! It probably would have been easier if I could have found my rubber screen squeegie instead of the card scrapper they provide with the kit. After install pics below, you can see some of the bubbles left over even after scrapping the screen for an hour.

20120726_111529.jpg

Lastly glare: I think this thing actually reduced the glare a bit. It not being dry yet may affect this, so I will have to keep an eye on it to see. With it being still wet the peaks and valleys of the bubbles still present maybe the affecting factor here.

Well that's it over all not a bad protector in my opinion, but not the best. I myself prefer the harder dry install protectors, so am a little biased. But at this price point it's hard to nitpick too bad on this one.
    I don't know what all the whining is about. READ the instructions. WATCH the install video. Then do it :highfive:.

You DO NOT need to spend hours trying to iron out every bubble (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!). Wet it, line it up, smooth out the big bubbles. Wipe off excess moisture, then put the tablet down and bugger off for 24 hours. DON'T mess with it. Find another toy. Walk the dog. :silly:

I got front and rear protectors. They both took around 10 minutes to install, with a couple of returns to smooth down the edges of the curved back protector as they dried. Lots of tiny little bubbles when I was done (AS EXPECTED). Looked like a cobbled street.

24 hours later all that remains are one or two tiny bubbles, and they're slowly going too. No problems with touch. Swiping is slightly more sticky than glass.

If you're too stupid to follow instructions, then you should have got an iPad along with all the other little iSheep, and paid the nice iMan in the iShop 50 bucks to install a protector for you. Android devices are for people capable of independent thought. :cool:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this protector, and it's very cheap. Can't comment on longevity yet - we'll see how things go.
    Too sticky

I've had mine for a week now. No bubbles after application, very smooth and clear. But the feel of the screen protector is a bit too sticky for my liking. My fingers does not slide as smoothly as before the protection. I'm thinking of getting a different brand.
    Any suggestions?