[Q] Which microSD card?

Search This thread

fearofbirds

Mar 4, 2014
Hi all..

This is a fairly beginnerish question, I know, but i've just ordered an Xperia Z2 tablet and i'm now trying to buy a microSD card for it, but the range of possible cards with different letters and sizes and descriptions is crazy.

Can someone tell me which ones I am limited to (and perhaps which ones are better to get)? If it makes any difference, I would use it to store video files, so the bigger the capacity the better.

I think it says on the Sony website that it can do 'up to' 128gb, which seems like heaps. Just hoping for clarification on this. Some Googling and reading around has got me nowhere.

Thanks!

se1000

Feb 14, 2011
Any MicroSD card will do.

Two main considerations are capacity and speed. Capacity is the easy one, most cards will offer a 64GB size. Sandisk is the only company with a readily available 128GB card out today.

Speed is the other factor. Although I don't have a Z2 tablet, if it shares the same memory controller as the Z2 phone, it is a very good one and can take advantage of the fastest MicroSD cards out today. Slower cards can hinder performance when taking pics, video, etc.

This is a recent thread on the Z2 forums: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2764546

As mentioned in that thread, my personal favorite is the Samsung Pro 64GB, excellent performance.