[HOW-TO] Change your Boot Splash + ZIPs + Online Generator + Warning Gone + Ville/C2

Search This thread

touch of jobo

Oct 21, 2008
Groningen
Are you sure the device was S-Off? On hboot-1.06 and S-On you can technically write to p12 but it bricks. That's what donverse did. (He also had 2 devices; one was s-on.) If you're sure you were S-Off, then I don't know what's happened and whether I should remove those zips I posted.

This is the first instance of a brick from flashing these hboots on an S-Off device. They have been downloaded almost 800x, so probably flashed well over 100x.

If you're in qhsusb mode, you can look into the downgrade process to push a clean hboot-1.06 into p12.

Last edited:
Reactions: LibertyMonger

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
There is no charging light or reset lights but when I hold power while plugged into USB the PC makes the usb connect and disconnect sounds, but no screen on or power. I wonder if I did some steps in the downgrade thread if I can magically revive it? Has to be some way it seems. Oh well guess I have to call insurance?

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Are you sure the device was S-Off? On hboot-1.06 and S-On you can technically write to p12 but it bricks. That's what donverse did. If you're sure you were S-Off, then I don't know what's happened and whether I should remove those zips I posted.

This is the first instance of a brick from flashing these hboots on an S-Off device. They have been downloaded almost 800x, so probably flashed well over 100x.

If you're in qhsusb mode, you can look into the downgrade process to push a clean hboot-1.06 into p12.

Thanks man, Yeah it was S-Off. Can you give me a starting point in the downgrade process?

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
Are you sure the device was S-Off? On hboot-1.06 and S-On you can technically write to p12 but it bricks. That's what donverse did. If you're sure you were S-Off, then I don't know what's happened and whether I should remove those zips I posted.

I just think its the same issue that happened with the JB OTA update when you had SuperCID. Just put a big warning saying this may brick it and S-Off has had its own issues too.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I got insurance on it through my carrier, but will unlocking it at HTC effect my insurance? I hope not. Man this is an awful feeling lol. Got greedy!

Just tell them it it ran of battery and won't turn back on.

touch of jobo

Oct 21, 2008
Groningen
Damn!
Did you by any chance use the broken version of TWRP? (I think is it 2.4.3 that has issues.)

Can you give me a starting point in the downgrade process?
This is the thread: [TUT] Downgrade/Unbrick Ville S4
If that doesnt work out, there is always this thread.

I just think its the same issue that happened with the JB OTA update when you had SuperCID. Just put a big warning saying this may brick it and S-Off has had its own issues too.
I have flashed all of them successfully with superCID. Some even multiple times when I was testing the unmodified ones I posted up later. But yeah, I will add an extra warning that we now have a brick on S-Off.

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
Damn!
Did you by any chance use the broken version of TWRP? (I think is it 2.4.3 that has issues.)

I have flashed all of them successfully with superCID. Some even multiple times when I was testing the unmodified ones I posted up later. But yeah, I will add an extra warning that we now have a brick on S-Off.

Ya it didn't brick everyone but there was a fair few bricks with the OTA and even a few with the downgrade.

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
AW: [HOW-TO] Change your Boot Splash + Flashable ZIPs + Online Generator + Warning Go

I was very sure that there will be bricks from this, I even expected it to happen to me. Writing to p12 is always dangerous. One little anomaly in the process is enough to make the device unbootable just due to the nature of that partition. If you have faults while flashing a ROM, you just repeat the process. If you have that with the boatloader, the natural consequence is that it won't boot. Simple.
A big fat warning is a must for this. People need to know that they risk a brick when messing with p12, in fact, p14, the splash, can also brick the device I think.

Sent from Viper 2.2

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
Damn!

I was on TWRP 2.3.3 or whatever it is. I tried the downgrade process from the point where the light is out and Ubuntu isn't detecting USB. So I don't know. I knew the risks so don't feel bad just in case you do lol. No hard feelings, I am just greedy. I should be able to claim it on insurance, in the meantime I will have to give her my One S. But I would still like to work my way out of this if possible.

Reactions: touch of jobo

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
I was on TWRP 2.3.3 or whatever it is. I tried the downgrade process from the point where the light is out and Ubuntu isn't detecting USB. So I don't know. I knew the risks so don't feel bad just in case you do lol. No hard feelings, I am just greedy. I should be able to claim it on insurance, in the meantime I will have to give her my One S. But I would still like to work my way out of this if possible.

You can't and doing anything just makes it worse so I would just send it off.

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
I just think one of then random things that like to happen to this phone.

I get my niece on the weekends and I have limited time to update her device. Working with my phone is easy and less stressful so when I update hers the same as mine I rush into it knowing how easy it is and how I have done it a thousand times before but since I am under a time restraint and worried about getting it done right, I get these weird screwed up issues and it turns into a mess. What usually would take me minutes to do with my phone ends up taking hours to do with hers Lmao. So I don't know what went wrong, it's just one of those deals where I should have left well enough alone.

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
I claimed it on insurance and they said as long as it doesn't show any physical damage there will be no charge. Next day would have been $35, 2nd day would have been $15 and 2nd business day shipping is free :victory:

Sorry if I made a mess of your thread man, I hope it was my mistake and no one else experiences it.

touch of jobo

Oct 21, 2008
Groningen
I knew the risks so don't feel bad just in case you do lol. No hard feelings, I am just greedy.
Of course I feel bad .. well, not happy anyway. It's a nasty thing to happen to anyone. In fact I've been pretty reckless with mine just to prevent this from happening to others.
I hope it was my mistake and no one else experiences it.
It would be nice to know that for sure. But since there is no way anymore to find out, we have to assume that there are (unknown) factors that cause brickage on s-off.

..and on a somewhat related note:

Attachments

• LMN.jpg
    LMN.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 137
  • bootsplash-lmn.zip
    300.2 KB · Views: 11

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
AW: [HOW-TO] Change your Boot Splash + Flashable ZIPs + Online Generator + Warning Go

There's been a very important question a few posts back and no-one stumbled over it.
Which recovery? As you know the later TWRP doesn't flash things right.

I'd put up a big warning regarding TWRP as we don't know for sure that it's NOT been the recovery causing it. There's a srtring likelihood that it's caused by that.
Please inform people about the additional risk right where the downloads are.

If you don't, then you will have reason to feel bad ;)

Sent from Viper 2.2

Reactions: touch of jobo

touch of jobo

Oct 21, 2008
Groningen
There's been a very important question a few posts back and no-one stumbled over it.
Which recovery? As you know the later TWRP doesn't flash things right.

I'd put up a big warning regarding TWRP as we don't know for sure that it's NOT been the recovery causing it. There's a srtring likelihood that it's caused by that.
Please inform people about the additional risk right where the downloads are.

If you don't, then you will have reason to feel bad ;)

Already put some more red bold warnings in that post.

Do you know the exact (range of) version(s) of TWRP that are bad?
I think 2.4.3 has issues, I'm not sure about 2.3.x, and AFAIK 2.2.x is good. And all CWMs are good.

Last edited:

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
! BRICK VERIFIED AND RECREATED !

BIG FAT BOLD RED WARINING:​

TWRP 2.4.3.0 WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE WHEN FLASHING MODIFIED (AND POSSIBLY ORIGINAL) HBOOTS!

Additional VERY IMPORTANT notice from Tecardo:

Recoveries are generally not fit to securely flash a hboot! There is a technical reason for this! The risk of a brick through flashing hboots by means of a recovery is extraordinarily high!

Touch of Jobo, i recommend you pull all recovery zips ASAP and offer only the raw images with a guide on how to flash them, for reasons of user protection!

@Liberty-Monger:
It wasn't entirely your fault. It was a bad thing to happen but you helped finding out and thus helped the community big time to not run into the same issue. Thanks for being the involuntary Guinea Pig! :D :(

Last edited:

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
There's only two things I can think of that was different between the two phones, 1 was TWRP version, hers was 2.3.3 and mine is 2.4.2, it worked with mine and not hers, and I don't think I ever changed her bootsplash image, I think it was still the stock one. Sorry I can't provide any more details.

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
There's only two things I can think of that was different between the two phones, 1 was TWRP version, hers was 2.3.3 and mine is 2.4.2, it worked with mine and not hers, and I don't think I ever changed her bootsplash image, I think it was still the stock one. Sorry I can't provide any more details.

Sure it wasn't 2.4.3.0 ? ?

Then that just underlines the necessity to refrain from using ANY recovery to flash hboots.
Tec tried to explain it to me but i didn't quite understand or else i would have explained it here on thread but flashing hboots from within recovery is dangerous.

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
Of course I feel bad .. well, not happy anyway. It's a nasty thing to happen to anyone. In fact I've been pretty reckless with mine just to prevent this from happening to others. It would be nice to know that for sure. But since there is no way anymore to find out, we have to assume that there are (unknown) factors that cause brickage on s-off.

..and on a somewhat related note:

WOW sweet dude! Thanks for the pic!! I will most definitely be using that when I get my new replacement and trying this again lol. I'm not scared! Lmao!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can have your own custom boot splash. (This is the very first picture you see when you boot up the device. Before the boot animation. The one you also see when booting into recovery.)

Upload a picture here. (It should be 540x960 pixels. If it's not, it gets resized without preserving proportions.) It generates a .zip that you can flash in recovery.
    Or pick one from the list at the bottom of this post.

You must be on hboot 1.06 or 1.09 for this to work. If you're not, here is how to downgrade your hboot.
    If you're S-Off, this will work on any hboot version. If you're not, here is how to get S-Off.

Flashing a new boot splash does not get rid of the red "This build is for development only.." warning text. (Edit: Now that we have S-Off, you can edit out the warning text in the hboot image. I tried it. It works. But it's a dangerous thing to do if you don't do everything exactly correct.)

If you create one that you feel is especially nice, feel free to post it in this thread. ("Pics and zips please.")

/!\ So far there are (at least) 2 reports where the flashable zip did not work, but manually dd'ing the raw 565 file into mmcblk0p14 did work. If someone can point out what the update script in the zip does not do that is required to successfully flash the splash, I'd be very interested.

You can also get rid of the red warning text overlay. (If you're S-Off)

I modified a couple of hboots to edit out the warning text, and made flashable zips for them. See post #148. <-- You must be S-Off for this. If you're not you can get bricked.
    (A side effect of flashing the 1.14.0004 hboot is that your ** TAMPERED ** flag is gone, even when flashing different ones afterwards.)

-Jobo

Original post, from before it was so easy...
    If you have a 540x960px image, save/convert it to raw rgb565 (The resulting file should be 1036800 bytes.. 540x960x2) and dd it into /dev/block/mmcblk0p14.

I tested with this attached one. (That zip is not flashable. Just unzip it and dd the raw 565 file. You dont need to be in recovery, you can do it while booted.) I'm sure others can do better but this was good enough to see that it works, and I like a dark splash better than the light one.

You will still get the red 'This build is for development only' stuff overlaid tho.
    That overlay text sits in mmcblk0p12:0xBD700 by the way but I dont dare poke into that partition.

Update 2012/7/19: See post #8 to make it flashable from recovery.
    Update 2012/7/25: Looks like this will only for for hboot-1.06 and 1.09, not for 1.13 and up.
    (Unless you're S-Off)
    Update 2012/9/20: Collected all boot splashes here.
    Update 2012/10/1: Made a php thingy to generate flashable zips from a web form. See post #115.
    Update 2013/1/2: Redid this post to point at the online zip generator.
    Update 2013/2/22: Made some additions/edits regarding S-Off
    Update 2013/2/23: Added some flashable edited hboots. See post #148.
    Update 2013/3/16: Added fastboot-flashable zips, as it is now discouraged to flash hboot in recovery. See post #274
    Update 2013/6/11: Minor php script update in the online generator because I added a version for the One-M7
    Update 2013/11/22: Confirmed to work on VilleC2 as well.
    Update 2014/05/31: Added support for the Desire X
    Update 2014/07/15: Added support for the One M8
    Update 2014/07/17: Hmmm... So it turns out that the zips for the M7 also work for the Butterfly S. I had no idea.

splash-(lcambriz)-google.zip
    splash-(pagantek)-motherboard.zip
    splash-(randomnoob83)-supergirl.zip
    splash-(Stroid01)-napoli-flame-effect.zip
    splash-(Stroid01)-napoli.zip
    splash-(Stroid01)-realmadrid.zip
    splash-(TramainM)-rings.zip
    splash-black.zip
    splash-blue.zip
    splash-stock.zip
    splash-tampered.zip
    splash-viper.zip
    splash-(Orical)-aktion.zip
    splash-(ChaseMDuffin)-thc.zip
    splash-ragnarokmk2.zip
    splash-(essentialmindz)-OneS.zip
    splash-(Sneakyghost)-venomOne.zip
    fastboot

Since it it now considered bad practice to flash hboot in recovery, I have repackaged all the zips to be fastboot flashable in RUU mode.

Recipe:

• boot your Ville into fastboot mode,
      connect USB cable,
      on your PC open a terminal window / command prompt.

• fastboot oem rebootRUU

wait for black screen with white HTC text

• fastboot flash zip modded_hboot_1.13.0000.zip
      (.. or whichever .zip you choose. It should say OKAY)

• fastboot reboot-bootloader
      To reboot into fastboot mode using the new hboot.

orig_ = unmodified, straight from the RUU.
    modded_ = red warning text edited out.

Edit: @Sneakyghost:
    I was just typing that :p
    Step I, II and III, are already done.
    In step IV, you dont have to be bootloader locked. At least not if you're S-Off. I don't know about S-On.

Edit: Added hboot 2.16 - orig and modded.
    Get rid of red warning text overlay

UPDATE:

SINCE IT IS NO LONGER CONSIDERED SAFE TO FLASH HBOOT IN RECOVERY,

I HAVE PACKAGED UP ALL IMAGES AS FASTBOOT FLASHABLE ZIPS

AND POSTED THOSE UP IN POST#274

Original post:
    Now that we have S-Off, (..and ONLY if you have S-Off!!) we can get rid of the red warning text overlay that has defaced our boot splashes until now.

This build is for
    development purposes only
    Do not distribute outside of HTC
    without HTC's written permission.
    Failure to comply may
    lead to legal action.​

Using the same recipe as for the flashable splash zips, these are flashable hboot zips. They were modified to edit out the warning text; no other modifications.
    Enjoy clean custom splash. A side-effect of hboot-1.14.0004 is that it clears the ** TAMPERED ** flag, even if you flash a different one afterwards.

I tested all 4 (edit: 7) of these on my own device. But as always, flash at own risk. You're writing to a critical part of your phone. If anything goes wrong along the way, you might be bricked.

-Jobo

Update: added 1.14.0005 (by cat2115).
    Update: added 1.09.0000
    Update: DO NOT FLASH THESE IF YOU'RE NOT S-OFF!!
    Update: Also posted flashable zips with the original unmodified hboots. See post #212.
    Update: /!\ [2013-03-15] We have a BRICK on an S-OFF device!! ("flash at own risk" is no longer just a phrase..)
    Lately there has been a series of TWRP recoveries that have issues flashing (some?) ROMs. It's possible that this brick is related to flashing an hboot image with it. I don't know this for a fact, but for now I don't recommend flashing hboot images using any TWRP version higher than 2.3.3.0 (until I know more).
    Update: fastboot flashable zips now available in post#274. Those are recommended over the ones from this post.
    Does the name have to be the same..
    The name doesn't matter, but the contents must be raw rgb565 data.
    Just put the file on your sdcard, and then from an adb shell, dd it into mmcblk0p14.
    -Jobo

Edit: Attachment is flashable in recovery. You can just replace the file in /cache/
    Edit: To work around the 20 attachment limit, I use this post to 'host' flashable zips to link to from post #1.
    original unmodified hboots as recovery-flashable zips

Update: Instead of flashing hboot in recovery, it is recommended to flash via fastboot. See post#274 for fastboot flashable zips with modded and original hboots.

Original post:
    These are the original unmodified hboots as recovery-flashable zips. For all except 1.14.0005. that's the one that cat2115 made and I don't have the RUU or OTA it comes from.
    All of them tested on my own device before posting. Must be S-Off.​