[HOW-TO] Work-arounds for issues with stock Nook Color ROM

Search This thread

ColdH33t

Dec 27, 2010
Just going through my build.prop and in Additional Build Properties theres a line that says

ro.com.android.dataroaming=true

We only have Wifi... so would saying false possibly save battery life?

wvcachi

Jul 20, 2010
Chicago
Just going through my build.prop and in Additional Build Properties theres a line that says

ro.com.android.dataroaming=true

We only have Wifi... so would saying false possibly save battery life?

Feel free to try (carefully and with backups and adb access... build.prop edits aren't to be taken lightly).

I doubt it, seeing as we've already disabled the phone-related system files, but who knows?

Reactions: Beherrschen

Beherrschen

Mar 9, 2008
I love having the screen resolution set to 250, but I do use the BN software for books. I was thinking that I could just dl the nook app from the market and use it instead, but it won't open after it installs. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

MattZTexasu

Sep 3, 2009
I don't know if this is covered, or even helpful, but, I noticed that busybox was installed during root yet, only ls was linked.

Auto-nooter puts busybox in /system/xbin. It's the only thing in there. I solved the linking problem by creating the links in this same directory.
execute this from adb shell or from a terminal on the device itself.
/system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin

Then I tack this directory to the end of path:
export PATH=$PATH:/system/xbin

That way, the busybox functions will only be invoked if equivalent doesn't exist. So, if you want a full implementation of wget, just put it in the /system/bin directory which is before the xbin in the path, and it'll use that one instead of busybox.

jsmith8858

Nov 11, 2008
Boston
I just want to add that even though it is not free, SmartKeyboard Pro works GREAT with the Nook, you can access all of the settings and configure it any way you want. You can turn off full-screen mode in Landscape, choose the skin, etc. Anyway, I know it is not free and I don't want to sound like I am posting an ad for the app, but it works really well. I installed it as per usual from the Market, copied the APK to system/app, rebooted, and it works great. That combined with the Dolphin HD browser == an almost perfect tablet experience.

Reactions: dianeofarcadia

LordDavon

Jan 14, 2004
Auto-nooter puts busybox in /system/xbin. It's the only thing in there. I solved the linking problem by creating the links in this same directory.

That way, the busybox functions will only be invoked if equivalent doesn't exist. So, if you want a full implementation of wget, just put it in the /system/bin directory which is before the xbin in the path, and it'll use that one instead of busybox.

Thanks. That is quite a bit less typing than using my while loop. HA! ;-) Glad to know that there is an easy way of having busybox make those links. That is good to know for the 2.2 update which, I am picturing, I will need to set the NookColor up again.

I didn't need to do anything with the path since mine was already pathed. I wonder why yours wasn't. Maybe we used different versions of autonooter?

I did find that once I ssh into the nook, running "busybox sh" gets me a very capable environment to work in and all of the proper commands linked also.

Again, thank you for the info. I am a desktop/server Linux guy just getting into the embedded side of the world.

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
Comment out these lines (add # to beginning):
# ro.sf.lcd_density.xdpi=169.3333
# ro.sf.lcd_density.ydpi=169.3333

Add this line:
ro.sf.lcd_density=254

I already had a line similar that I uncommented, and I run mine at 254.
169.3333 / 2 = 84.6666
169.3333 + 84.6666 = 254
I am probably overthinking it, but it looks good. You can make that number 250 if you want.

The Program LCD Density lets you select specific densities as well, but is only soft. Nice for testing.
Have you (or anyone else) found any numbers around 250 that ALSO work with the native B&N apps?

I'm really doing all that I can to try and save the stock B&N library/reader apps; but, at the same time, I can't stand the nooted home screens at 169.3333... DOH!

Last edited:

wvcachi

Jul 20, 2010
Chicago
Have you (or anyone else) found any numbers around 250 that ALSO work with the native B&N apps?

I'm really doing all I can to save the B&N library/reader apps, but at the same time, I can't stand the home screens at 169.3333... conundrum!! :confused:

I haven't experimented with the B&N app, but obviously the higher you go, the more it'll cut off. you can have it lower than 250 and still be much bigger than stock, I prefer 250 because it keeps the status bar clean-looking.

I'd say start at 200, and if Nook apps still look fine there, raise it incrementally and see what the breaking point is.

swapdotavi

Dec 16, 2010
Suggestions for new topics:

- How to get youtube to work. It seems like someone asks at least once a day. Information and APKs here. I think you can also just sever youtube's tie to your google account to make it work, but I cant remember the details for that one.

- How to tether to wifi. I've yet to do this so I cant offer much information. There are instructions here, here, and here. Again, I've not done this so I dont know which set of instructions is best. I'll be taking a crack at this in the next day or two, so I will offer more details when I can. I still need to get USB ADB working (failed for me so I used wifi) and jailbreak my 3GS before I can start, so I've got a bit of work ahead of me before I can give you further information.

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky

So I know where this stuff goes in Linux, but how do you modify the system PATH in Android? Is there a profile file somewhere? I actually haven't looked, but surely you guys aren't exporting vars each time you get into the thing.

I've just gotten used to typing busybox xyz or /system/xbin (although busybox is less typing). On my Nexus One, /system/xbin is already in the path from the custom ROM, I'm sure it can be done here as well but might not be possible until there's a ROM, but I'd think it's just a shell script somewhere that sets it.

myecomemail

Dec 22, 2010
I appologize if this has already been posted, but on a stock NC, swiping from right to left on the notification area (at the bottom of the screen) = Back Button.

- G -

Wow. Thanks for sharing. This great and works on my rooted NC too. It works in the stock browser as a back button...exits apps etc. Very cool.

Anyone know of other gestures or ways to add them/other apps with this functionality etc?

swapdotavi

Dec 16, 2010
- How to tether to wifi. I've yet to do this so I cant offer much information. There are instructions here, here, and here. Again, I've not done this so I dont know which set of instructions is best. I'll be taking a crack at this in the next day or two, so I will offer more details when I can. I still need to get USB ADB working (failed for me so I used wifi) and jailbreak my 3GS before I can start, so I've got a bit of work ahead of me before I can give you further information.

Hah, so I got a bit carried away and stayed up late to get this all done in one shot. Works great! Tethered to my 3G last night, this morning, and just now. Bonus points to whoever figured out a way to remove the need to switch to and from adhoc and infrastructure mode!

The steps on the wiki were easiest for me to follow. They are a bit vague at times, but they are absolutely possible to follow if you pay attention and read them carefully. Might be worth throwing a link to that article in the OP.

Of course you NEED to have a working USB ADB connection for this as you must turn wifi off to modify the supplicant files. If you used the wiki's ADB_USB tutorial and you cant get it working you should try again, as the ini file they had up until last night had a slight problem in it that may have been the source of your woes.

ClarkSt

Oct 29, 2010
Hah, so I got a bit carried away and stayed up late to get this all done in one shot. Works great! Tethered to my 3G last night, this morning, and just now. Bonus points to whoever figured out a way to remove the need to switch to and from adhoc and infrastructure mode!

The steps on the wiki were easiest for me to follow. They are a bit vague at times, but they are absolutely possible to follow if you pay attention and read them carefully. Might be worth throwing a link to that article in the OP.

Of course you NEED to have a working USB ADB connection for this as you must turn wifi off to modify the supplicant files. If you used the wiki's ADB_USB tutorial and you cant get it working you should try again, as the ini file they had up until last night had a slight problem in it that may have been the source of your woes.

Just curious about this... Why did you have to modify anything on the CN to WiFi tether to a phone? I rooted my HTC Incredible and added a free app called WiFi Tether and once I run that on the phone, I can connect to it from my CN just like any other access point.

ClarkSt

Oct 29, 2010

I'm really doing all that I can to try and save the stock B&N library/reader apps; but, at the same time, I can't stand the nooted home screens at 169.3333... DOH!

Personally, I use 220 because I can still see the time and, more importantly, the notification balloon on the left. Granted, it's a piece of a balloon and the time is staggered numbers on top of each other, but it works and anything smaller is really too small for me. I have seen someone say 204 was good, so I tried it - the click and balloon look normal, but the text is still too small for my old eyes. 220 is best for me.

LCDDensity is a great way to try out different values without making them permanent or having to change any files.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the same questions seem to be getting asked a lot, here are some methods for getting past stock NookColor ROM limitations in a single thread:

1. How do I keep wifi from turning off when the screen goes to sleep?

- download Spare Parts from the market and set wifi sleep policy to never.

. . . mixed results have been reported with this method, but this appears to be the best known fix at the moment.

2. I restored and re-rooted, now I can't log in to my B&N account!

- get NookColorTools app (if not installed during root, it's on xda). Under All Settings, open the 2nd (of 3) setting called Wireless near the bottom. This will begin their registration process again.

3. How do I install a different keyboard?

- if it's in the market, first purchase/install it-- if it's a stand-alone apk, skip that and move on to the next paragraph. If you just downloaded it from the market, find the apk somewhere in data/app/ and copy from there.

Now place the app's apk (Root Explorer works great) in system/app (mount system as r-w first). Look at the file's permissions (long hold on it and choose Permissions from the menu), and match it to the permissions of the other files in that folder. Reboot. Then open your trusty NookColorTools, select keyboard, and you should be able to switch to it. Not all keyboards are currently working, but this is a great way to find out if it does that doesn't require renaming or deleting your current keyboard.

4. How do I get Swype on here?

- right now, you can't. Swype requires a copy that matches your device's resolution, and the only version of Swype that matches ours (1024x600) is the copy that ships with the Galaxy Tab, but, to my knowledge, nobody has gotten it completely working on here without causing major system crashes (not to mention the apk couldn't be posted on xda even if it was eventually hacked to work).

SlideIT keyboard is another trace keyboard that DOES work on the NookColor, and I've been very happy with it (it's come a long way since I tried it last summer and quickly uninstalled it). The method in #3 above should work to install it.

5. Wait, I can't copy and paste on the NookColor??

- not through the OS, no. There is a solution though. It involves getting an app called Copy Paste It from the market (paid, but there's a trial version). You'll probably need to set it to rotate clockwise (in settings), or it'll get screwy.

When you want to copy, activate the function from the notification, and it'll let you frame the text to copy:

ad7a43a9-813d-c53b.jpg

The second part, pasting, requires having a keyboard with a Paste setting in it. Again, SlideIT has this on the special characters keyboard (I'm not a troll for SlideIT, just a happy customer). I'm not sure which other keyboards have this feature, if any (if you know, post, and I'll update this). Assuming you have a keyboard with paste, it'll paste what the Copy Paste It app copied.

6. Why is everything on my screen so small?

- this is because the NookColor's stock LCD density is 169.333, which is pretty low (Galaxy Tab is 240). Unlike resolution, which is hardware-based, density is software-based and can be changed. If you search the market for LCD density, there are a couple apps that will do this--a free one that won't survive a hard reboot, and a paid one that (supposedly) will.

If you want to make it permanent for free, you can edit your build.prop file. Again, use Root Explorer to open system/build.prop (BACKUP FIRST!), find the following two lines:

ro.sf.lcd_density.xdpi=169.33333
    ro.sf.lcd_density.ydpi=169.33333

If you wanted your density to be 250, you'd replace them with the following single line:

ro.sf.lcd_density=250

Save the edited file, and reboot.

Here are two of my Galaxy Tab-esque homescreens set to 250:

ad7a43a9-7cc5-be89.jpg

ad7a43a9-7cf5-34ea.jpg

. . . Now, jacking up your LCD density much above 200 will make your status bar look wonky and cut-off. One solution for this is to set it to 250, like above (by changing build.prop - I think the apps I mentioned only allow multiples of 20), which will make it look clean (as long as wifi is on). The only problem there is that you'll lose your status bar clock and Notifications in portrait mode . . .

. . . the solution for THIS is to get two apps: hellostatusbar, and quick launch. Set quick launch to open hellostatusbar on a home- button double press, and it will display your Notifications.

Also note that raising the density can cut-off parts of the stock Barnes & Noble software (they're designed for the lower density), so this mod is probably better for people like me who use the Kindle app and ezPDF for reading.

7. If I don't want to use softkeys, can I remap the hardware buttons to do something different?

Yes. In Root Explorer, navigate to system/usr/keylayout, make a backup of TWL4030_Keypad.kl, then open the original with text editor and change the entry for key 115 ( volume up) and/or key 114 (volume down) with something like BACK, MENU, or SEARCH. Save the file. Reboot, and they'll be whatever you changed the entry to.

If you want easy volume controls after remapping these buttons, a market app called Volumer++ can be set to live in your notifications for easy access. Otherwise, you can change them from settings.

8. How do I set my wallpaper so that the resolution looks good?

- I used a market app called Wallpaper Set & Save. It's easy, and resolution looks great. I think it cuts off the image a little bit, but not much. I think this method will suffice for many people, but if you want it to be sized perfectly, do the following (credit to swapdotavi for the instructions):

[Get an image that is at least 1200x1024, crop it (without scaling) to 1200x1024. If you're using Photoshop, copy the entire image, then create a new file sized 1200x1024. Then paste the image and use the arrow to drag it around to whatever looks best to you. Save the file as a .png, transfer to your nook, and use Wallpaper Set & Save to choose the new file.]

. . . Since we share the same resolution with the Galaxy Tab, the wallpapers that came with it look phenomenal (in my opinion) on the NookColor. Follow this link to pick them up:
    http://galaxytabwallpapers.net/original-galaxy-tab/

9. Can I change the lockscreen slider to look like stock Android or Sense?

- yes - get an app called WidgetLocker. Set it to look how you want. Then, under Behavior, set Homehelper as your system home. Still under Behavior, go to Home to Launch, and pick your real launcher (Launcherpro, ADW, etc.). Also, under Advanced, be sure to check both the Root Bypass of 5 Second Rule, and Retain Keyguard.

ad7a43a9-8181-845d.jpg

10. My NookColor seems sluggish - is there a way to speed it up?

Most of you will already know this, but Setcpu is a market app that can speed things up and improve battery life. CPU Tuner is a free alternative that's similar, but I've had more experience with setcpu, and can vouch much more for it.

My recommended settings:

Min 600
    Max 800
    Governor: OnDemand*
    check 'set on boot'

... And one profile enabled:

Screen Off
    Min 300
    Max 600
    Governor: Ondemand

... And another optional setting (for even a little more extra zip):

under Advanced:
    change "Up Threshold" to 35

* for the fastest setting, set the governor in the main CPU setting to Performance (with 800 max). It may drain your battery quicker, but mine still holds up surprisingly well on performance--and the nook is very fast.

These are just settings that work for me. Feel free to experiment. Also, some people were having their Nook randomly reboot, and changing the governor from conservative to ondemand helped.

11. Any other battery-saving tips?

In case you missed the rival xda threads arguing over who thought of it first, there was a potentially useful battery-saving trick in there:

Go back in Root Explorer, and in system/app, mount as r-w and rename Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to anything else (adding .bak onto the end would be fine).

Basically, you're removing android system files that may be wasting juice looking for a non-existent cell service. It's unsure if or how much this actually improves battery life, but it very well could, and it certainly won't hurt anything changing their names.

12. Why aren't my favorite live wallpapers working?

I'm not sure, but here's how to get the rest of them going:

Download this file: http://db.tt/ur0c98s

It will fail installing, but if you use Root Explorer, copy it from your download directory, go to system/app, set as r-w... Then long-press on any file in that directory, and look at its permissions. Now paste your LiveWallpapers.apk there and change its permissions to match the others. Your live wallpapers should work now!

ad7afca3-9e5d-64b5.jpg

The Nexus wallpaper won't work, but just install Nexus Revamped from the market - it's identical, it's free, and it has customization.

If you're using one of the more system-intensive Live Wallpapers (like "Water"), I'd recommend using all of the Setcpu changes from #10 above to keep things snappy (also know that LWP's can drain battery quicker).

13. How can I get my Google contacts in here?

If you aren't concerned with them showing up in the B&N Contacts app, and are more interested in having them come up as auto-suggestions when typing an email address or Google Voice text number, there's a way (credit to jadambpharm):

- Go to gmail on the web, click on contacts (left side), then More Actions, then Export. Choose .vcard format. Transfer that file to your SD card.

- get a Market app on your Nook called Import Contacts. Point it to the contacts.vcard file you just got, and they'll now come up for auto-fill suggestions!

14. How can I prevent the Nook from automatically updating the firmware?

- Change the name of etc/security/otacerts.zip to anything else (doing this in Root Explorer works fine). So far, this had looked pretty solid in successfully disabling OTA updates.

15. Why won't YouTube play videos in HD?

For some reason, the YouTube that's installed from rooting won't do it. To get a version that plays HD:

- uninstall your current YouTube via Titanium Backup

- download this version from the Evo (credit aludal): http://db.tt/y5vVvI2

- rather than installing this one, rename it youtube.apk and copy it into system/app (w/permissions matching the other apk's in that folder)

It should be there now, ready to play HQ clips. If not, reboot first.

I'll update as I think of more. Enjoy your modestly-priced, unintentional Android tablets!
    Back Button

I appologize if this has already been posted, but on a stock NC, swiping from right to left on the notification area (at the bottom of the screen) = Back Button.

- G -
    Jeff, how do you access the settings for smart keyboard pro? I can't find that option.

Press and hold the ?123 button. That'll pop up the menu in Smart Keyboard Pro.
    Reserved 10 chars
    Thanks for the tips. I don't really need them, I need 10 posts, so that I can post where it's relevant to what I need. The 10 posts to post in development rule is a catch-22. If you have it, new members (who aren't complete idiots) have either waste time trying to find 10 relevant things to post on or spam thank you on anything out there. However without it, dev boards would get swamped with posts by people who can't read. Sorry for the rant everybody.

Yeah, I get it. One can read (and comprehend) and even have insight, but we still have to honor those who have worked so hard to generate the ROMs, kernels, usw...

Level up, man...