[A] How to identify a fake Samsung battery

Search This thread

Guru1000

Mar 11, 2010
As a lot of people I don't want to run out of juice and ordered a couple of "Genuine Samsung" batteries on ebay (one for myself and one for a friend). Paid 6.50 pounds each that is approximately 10 dollar. I received the items accordingly and unpacked them. As a technician I checked them intensively on al sides also in comparison with my original battery. Off course, I knew this sounded to good to be true, but the sellers feedback was good and no feedback reported fake goods.

First thing I noticed was that the serial number on both batteries was the same, this can never be the case with a serial number
Second thing is that the contact are lying deeper in the battery housing than the original one
Third thing is a small placard next to the contact points to cover two small holes of the assembly.

Than I started searching on the internet and found the following text which I qoute:

[/qoute]
We particularly focus on the Battery to discuss, because it is difficult to identify real and fake battery. looking from the appearance of many fake Samsung batteries, it almost can not distinguish the fake from the real, however , the fake will not become the real, teach you a few methods of identification, real and fake battery will be crystal-clear to present in your eyes .
Method 1: Check the new battery whether there is a film on the back
when you buy assembled battery, there is a normal film affixed to the back, however the original battery did not have. it is the easiest way of identification.
Method 2: Check the battery positive labels work
the label of the original battery is pasted precisely and its size matches with the size of the grooves, there is no obvious gap; the work of the assembled battery(Cell phone accessories wholesale) is usually less stringent , the size of the label is inconsistent with the battery grooves, giving the impression that the label is not affixed rightly.
Method 3: Check the litter bin symbol on the label
there is a small dot in the circle of right corner of the original battery‘s litter bin, but if you observe carefully, you can pick it out; there is a solid round dot in the bottom of right corner of the assembled battery’s litter bin, it is said that a small number of positive labels of assembled battery also have a small dot , but you'll also find that the patterns of assembled battery’s litter bin slightly larger than the original battery. This point may require you to spend more time on observation, if you do not have experience, you can pretend to select several types of Samsung cell phones, then take the opportunity to make a comparison between them, you can see which one is real and which one is fake.
Method 4: Check print quality of the letter under the bar code on the label
printing font of the original battery is rather special, scan lines are constituted by the dot, they are clear and grainy, the "/" between “S “and “N “slash is very obvious and serrated (sorry picture is not clear); Print quality of the assembled battery is obviously much more rough.
Method 5: Check the battery's internal parameters
Enter your cell phones "* # 0228 #", the original battery generally can display manufacturer, capacity, voltage, temperature and other information. Press the "^" button on the navigation keyboard to page up, the percentage displaying in the bottom of the page is the remaining capacity. The assembled battery does not display electric battery manufacturer, capacity.
Method 6: Check the battery contacts
Samsung original battery(Cell phones wholesale) metal contacts are bright and neat; assembled battery contacts are jet-black and the arrangement is irregular. If you observe closely you may find the differences between their contacts, but it is difficult to make a judgement if there is no comparison. it seems that it is really a bit difficult.
Usually one original battery will take you more than 100 yuan, while assembled battery can be purchased for about ten yuan, a huge difference may let many people fond of bargain, when you purchase cell phones, you can use the aforementioned ways to distinguish carefully,let the thing be worthy of the money.
[/unqoute]

I hope it is clear for everybody. Cheers .

Last edited:

render35

May 14, 2013
As a lot of people I don't want to run out of juice and ordered a couple of "Genuine Samsung" batteries on ebay (one for myself and one for a friend). Paid 6.50 pounds each that is approximately 10 dollar. I received the items accordingly and unpacked them. As a technician I checked them intensively on al sides also in comparison with my original battery. Off course, I knew this sounded to good to be true, but the sellers feedback was good and no feedback reported fake goods.

First thing I noticed was that the serial number on both batteries was the same, this can never be the case with a serial number
Second thing is that the contact are lying deeper in the battery housing than the original one
Third thing is a small placard next to the contact points to cover two small holes of the assembly.

Than I started searching on the internet and found the following text which I qoute:

[/qoute]
We particularly focus on the Battery to discuss, because it is difficult to identify real and fake battery. looking from the appearance of many fake Samsung batteries, it almost can not distinguish the fake from the real, however , the fake will not become the real, teach you a few methods of identification, real and fake battery will be crystal-clear to present in your eyes .
when you buy assembled battery, there is a normal film affixed to the back, however the original battery did not have. it is the easiest way of identification.
the label of the original battery is pasted precisely and its size matches with the size of the grooves, there is no obvious gap; the work of the assembled battery(Cell phone accessories wholesale) is usually less stringent , the size of the label is inconsistent with the battery grooves, giving the impression that the label is not affixed rightly.
there is a small dot in the circle of right corner of the original battery‘s litter bin, but if you observe carefully, you can pick it out; there is a solid round dot in the bottom of right corner of the assembled battery’s litter bin, it is said that a small number of positive labels of assembled battery also have a small dot , but you'll also find that the patterns of assembled battery’s litter bin slightly larger than the original battery. This point may require you to spend more time on observation, if you do not have experience, you can pretend to select several types of Samsung cell phones, then take the opportunity to make a comparison between them, you can see which one is real and which one is fake.
printing font of the original battery is rather special, scan lines are constituted by the dot, they are clear and grainy, the "/" between “S “and “N “slash is very obvious and serrated (sorry picture is not clear); Print quality of the assembled battery is obviously much more rough.
Enter your cell phones "* # 0228 #", the original battery generally can display manufacturer, capacity, voltage, temperature and other information. Press the "^" button on the navigation keyboard to page up, the percentage displaying in the bottom of the page is the remaining capacity. The assembled battery does not display electric battery manufacturer, capacity.
Samsung original battery(Cell phones wholesale) metal contacts are bright and neat; assembled battery contacts are jet-black and the arrangement is irregular. If you observe closely you may find the differences between their contacts, but it is difficult to make a judgement if there is no comparison. it seems that it is really a bit difficult.
Usually one original battery will take you more than 100 yuan, while assembled battery can be purchased for about ten yuan, a huge difference may let many people fond of bargain, when you purchase cell phones, you can use the aforementioned ways to distinguish carefully,let the thing be worthy of the money.
[/unqoute]

All very interesting but sadly complete rubbish. First of all the serial numbers are in fact batch numbers, so if you buy two batteries from the same batch they will have the same number.

Without picking up on every single point individually the differences in labels and casings on genuine original batteries are simply because they are made in different factories around the world and as with any factory they have different equipment. In fact the labels are almost certainly produced by label printing factories and the batteries are, in many cases, manufactured for Samsung by battery makers rather than by Samsung themselves. Think about it - there are literally hundreds of millions of mobile phones sold around the world every single year which means hundreds of millions of batteries - do you honestly believe that every single label and battery are going to be identical?

I have sold thousands of Samsung mobiles over the years and have seen many original batteries (as supplied with the phone) where the labels look completely different. I have purchased batteries directly from Samsung with no small dots on circle on the waste bin. I could go on, but sorry, the above post is simply an opinion and nothing more with no foundation whatsoever.

Etirel

Jan 24, 2013
When you buy "genuine" batteries for 10 dollars, you should realise that you're not probably gonna get real goods. "Genuine" batteries go for atleast 20 dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geekboy26

lingowistico

Jan 4, 2013
Stockholm
goo.gl
Except laws and contractual agreements. Anything they do "on the side" is illegal so its the Black market. Its best to assume if its too good to be true - it isn't true, even if sometimes those products are genuine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
On one hand you're right on the other hand I'm right lol.
I know for a fact that some official Universal Music/Studios factories (that press discs) also press pirate discs by night (when the factory is supposed to be closed). So you know, you never know :angel:
Specially when it comes to places like China, where western thinking and logic doesn't mean antything.

Reactions: Kawaisa

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I never said you were wrong. A genuine product leaked on the black market though, is not really genuine, even if by manufacture, it is genuine. When it leaks to the black market, all integrity is gone. Half of what makes a genuine product genuine, is warranty.

But if someone says, a genuine battery is $20, anything that is $10 is fake, they're not correct. Sometimes a genuine product on the black market can be $10, however, chances are that $10 battery IS fake. You cant keep buying $10 batteries hoping they will be genuine.

Reactions: stanley08

teekaytk

Sep 29, 2010
One of the easiest ways to identify a fake battery is to look at the weight. I bought a so called "genuine samsung battery" for my S3. When I weight it on my precision scales, the fake battery was 20 grams lighter than the original battery.

Reactions: serenaforly

Geekboy26

Feb 12, 2014
After being burnt once before after buying a cheap battery for my BB off ebay, I'd only buy batteries directly from the manufacturer, like Qcell, Zerelemon... Are you guys willing to share the names of the sites you bought the dodgy batteries from?

Mano75

Mar 4, 2009
Barcelona
And level block size has anything to do?
I did the " *#0228* " and the original battery which came with my Note 3 reports "Level block: 8" while the eBay one I bought through Auction reports "Level block: 4"
Weight: Original one weights 54,60 gr. while the one from eBay weights 43,54 gr. That is 11 grams less...

I just wanted to ask this before I start peeling them off...

dy4k7.jpg
2ex63xi.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

agent007bond

Apr 25, 2008
And level block size has anything to do?
I did the " *#0228* " and the original battery which came with my Note 3 reports "Level block: 8" while the eBay one I bought through Auction reports "Level block: 4"
Weight: Original one weights 54,60 gr. while the one from eBay weights 43,54 gr. That is 11 grams less...

I just wanted to ask this before I start peeling them off...
Cheers,
The number of level blocks appears to correspond to the current charge level (43% = 4 blocks or 96% = 8 blocks). The important thing should be the range shown ("0~8"), and when 100% charged, does both batteries say "8 blocks"?

The weight is a good indicator that it may be fake. Probably it's using a smaller inferior cell padded with a plastic filler to make it same size as a genuine battery.

Anyway the idea that the BatteryStatus screen can help check if it's genuine appears completely moot because the screen does not show any manufacturer info about the battery, as was originally claimed in OP's post. Even with the stock battery, all it shows is a bunch of numbers. It doesn't show the manufacturer (name) or capacity (mAh) even with the stock battery.

rp158

Jan 1, 2013
HTC Desire
OnePlus 6
I bought 2 month ago one of the ebay-'originals' for 14€. Approx. 70% capacity and not grewing during 3 charches. I sent it back and the substitute showed the same. I bought a battery in Samsungs-eStore then (30€ incl shipping) and everything's fine: began with 85% and grew upto 100% after 3 charges.
All labels are different. The weight of the fakes is the same as the old original, the new original differs. So keep it simply and buy from Samsung.

Girish_J

Dec 6, 2012
Purchased a battery from eBay India for around (INR) ₹700 around August end.
It got swollen like a bread in oven (within last month) :p
Today got it replaced from service center for brand new one :D
I had receipt of ₹1600, VAT paid, though I paid only ₹700, which made the purchase completely authorized. :p

PS. Before purchase, I clearly asked the seller if I can get this battery and walk into service center, will it be valid. He responded positively, and it worked :p

So for me, it was like getting genuine battery for $11 :good: :good:

Yanimus27

Sep 24, 2022
Purchased a battery from eBay India for around (INR) ₹700 around August end.
It got swollen like a bread in oven (within last month) :p
Today got it replaced from service center for brand new one :D
I had receipt of ₹1600, VAT paid, though I paid only ₹700, which made the purchase completely authorized. :p

PS. Before purchase, I clearly asked the seller if I can get this battery and walk into service center, will it be valid. He responded positively, and it worked :p

So for me, it was like getting genuine battery for $11 :good: :good:
Recently I buy a secondhand Samsung m31 phone, I dial all the codes almost all of it work except for the code for battery which was *#0228#, can you explain whats the meaning of that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[/qoute]
    [/unqoute]

[/qoute]
    [/unqoute]

All very interesting but sadly complete rubbish. First of all the serial numbers are in fact batch numbers, so if you buy two batteries from the same batch they will have the same number.

Without picking up on every single point individually the differences in labels and casings on genuine original batteries are simply because they are made in different factories around the world and as with any factory they have different equipment. In fact the labels are almost certainly produced by label printing factories and the batteries are, in many cases, manufactured for Samsung by battery makers rather than by Samsung themselves. Think about it - there are literally hundreds of millions of mobile phones sold around the world every single year which means hundreds of millions of batteries - do you honestly believe that every single label and battery are going to be identical?

I have sold thousands of Samsung mobiles over the years and have seen many original batteries (as supplied with the phone) where the labels look completely different. I have purchased batteries directly from Samsung with no small dots on circle on the waste bin. I could go on, but sorry, the above post is simply an opinion and nothing more with no foundation whatsoever.
    When you buy "genuine" batteries for 10 dollars, you should realise that you're not probably gonna get real goods. "Genuine" batteries go for atleast 20 dollars.
    Except laws and contractual agreements. Anything they do "on the side" is illegal so its the Black market. Its best to assume if its too good to be true - it isn't true, even if sometimes those products are genuine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    On one hand you're right on the other hand I'm right lol.
    I know for a fact that some official Universal Music/Studios factories (that press discs) also press pirate discs by night (when the factory is supposed to be closed). So you know, you never know :angel:
    Specially when it comes to places like China, where western thinking and logic doesn't mean antything.
    I never said you were wrong. A genuine product leaked on the black market though, is not really genuine, even if by manufacture, it is genuine. When it leaks to the black market, all integrity is gone. Half of what makes a genuine product genuine, is warranty.

But if someone says, a genuine battery is $20, anything that is $10 is fake, they're not correct. Sometimes a genuine product on the black market can be $10, however, chances are that $10 battery IS fake. You cant keep buying $10 batteries hoping they will be genuine.