[Recovery & Root] Unofficial CWM for Acer Iconia Smart and root method

Search This thread

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Hi all,

I have built CWM Recovery 5.0.2.8 (latest version on the CyanogenMod Repo), see attached. Didn't test much yet, but it does work. Had to make some minor changes to make the display look correct (see here is what helped me do that).

I am now looking for a newer repository, to add:

* Touch - there's supposed to be beta's but couldn't find a repository
* Internal SD - possibly just a change in one of the files, still investigating

Anyone more info?

:)

Regards,

Nika.

Attachments

• S300-Recovery-5.0.2.8.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 534
Reactions: paugustin

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Installation is OK, only tested reboot as my 16Gb SD card doesn't work in recovery... I'll test a backup/restore later.

Quickly checked the sources and if you create a file called ".one_confirm" in /sdcard/clockworkmod it should ask for Yes / No only instead of multiple No's you need to scroll down :)

Hmmm... tested it quickly with "adb shell touch /sdcard/clockworkmod/.one_confirm" but didn't seem to work... will build a new recovery soon... :D

Still also trying to figure out how to make a backup to the internal sdcard...

Last edited:

wild_saher010

Oct 25, 2011
Egypt
download links

:mad: download links not working """" This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright """"

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
:mad: download links not working """" This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright """"

Use search, my friend, and read a full thread :)

My post in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24073767&postcount=21

Contains a newer version:
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=966744&d=1332791259

And if you want the old version, use the one from here:
http://vache-android.com/v1/index.php?site=files&file=128

And the drivers you can get from Acer:
http://global-download.acer.com/GDF... SMART (S300)&OS=a06&LC=nl&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_18

Regards,

Nika.

Reactions: wild_saher010

wild_saher010

Oct 25, 2011
Egypt
thanks

thanks alot my friend u r the only one on the world :) helped me on this device

when i unzipped the recovery file i didnt the file "" su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip "" or any other zip file ?????? but i find a file named s300-recovery and i its image file not zip >>>> and when i try to go to recovery mode it go to fastboot mode "" black screen with 3 coulors """

if i wanna to replace the housing or wanna another battery where i can find it ???????????

Last edited:

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6

when i unzipped the recovery file i didnt the file "" su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip "" or any other zip file ?????? but i find a file named s300-recovery and i its image file not zip >>>> and when i try to go to recovery mode it go to fastboot mode "" black screen with 3 coulors """

if i wanna to replace the housing or wanna another battery where i can find it ???????????

I am not sure what you are doing exactly. Please be more specific in the steps to take.

Here's some tips:

1. You are using the old version (S300-Recovery.img), please use S300-Recovery-5.0.2.8.zip. It also contains an img file (recovery.img) which is the same as the S300-recovery.img file in the other zip, but a newer version

2. Make sure you have installed the drivers, like mentioned in step I in the first post

3. After extracting the zip-file you need to run install_recovery.cmd. That will install the new S300 recovery, like mentioned in step II from the first post. It will give you the correct instructions when running the cmd, it will mention you go to the black screen with 3 colors and then you press a key to install the recovery

4. After installing the recovery (going through the steps mentioned in step II) you should install the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip (link found in google) from the recovery. Please follow the steps in III and IV of the original post..

Good luck!

For housing and another battery, also use google. I even replaced my LCD touch by finding it on the internet. Simply search for stuff like "battery acer iconia smart" and such :)

Reactions: robotbrain

wild_saher010

Oct 25, 2011
Egypt
thanksssssssssssss

at last i did it thanks alot NIKA U r my best friend >>>>> i search for battery and i found it but i cant find the other parts cause i need to find full housing cover or the small part in the top of the device which had the wifi antena and dolby logo ??? pls help me in that

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
at last i did it thanks alot NIKA U r my best friend >>>>> i search for battery and i found it but i cant find the other parts cause i need to find full housing cover or the small part in the top of the device which had the wifi antena and dolby logo ??? pls help me in that

I don't think any of those spare-parts exist yet (remember it's a new device ;)). Searched for it too, because I broke mine when taking the device apart for replacing the touch screen. Same for the battery cover which holds the GSM antennas (reception is horrible since it's scratched a lot). In my case I bought the following case to keep it all together:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200662619719

Reactions: wild_saher010

wild_saher010

Oct 25, 2011
Egypt
great

thanks alot again hope to find spare parts ( housing , other else .... soon )

but i have one more quest ??

now i made an update to my device to 1.000.24_emea_gen1 and sudenly the arabic language gone there is no arabic menus and cant read arabic from browser or face book or sms or flash sms :confused: for the menus its not important to me to be arabic but for sms & face and others its must read arabic what can i do pls >?????????????

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
thanks alot again hope to find spare parts ( housing , other else .... soon )

but i have one more quest ??

now i made an update to my device to 1.000.24_emea_gen1 and sudenly the arabic language gone there is no arabic menus and cant read arabic from browser or face book or sms or flash sms :confused: for the menus its not important to me to be arabic but for sms & face and others its must read arabic what can i do pls >?????????????

I honestly have no idea... go back to 1.000.19?

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Hi all,

Anyone interested in TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP)? I've build an initial test version:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1882747

To figure out how to mount the internal sdcard, can someone run the following commands on their device?

Code:
adb shell  
su
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/emmc
ls -lR /dev/block | busybox egrep -i "rec|sos"
Regards,

Nika.

Last edited:

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Dear all,

Here's a CWM version (GB - 5.0.2.8 - No touch) with Internal Sdcard support:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sagy5dwyfw1d1ya
(mirrors: http://www.multiupload.nl/7HSLQPSMY2)

Here's another CWM version (ICS - 6.0.1.3 - Touch) with Internal Sdcard support:
http://www.mediafire.com/?p6johxqxu31prpy
(mirrors: http://www.multiupload.nl/0DYDXGMN8I)

The CWM 5.0.2.8 version is built from source. The 6.0.1.3 version is built using Koush's recovery builder (http://builder.cyanogenmod.com). Will also try to figure out how to build that myself, it seems I should use the JB or ICS repositories, but I then get errors that the recovery is too large...

Regards,

Nika.

Last edited:

Linuxslate

Jan 13, 2009
linuxslate.com
+1

For a Acer Iconia Smart S300 forum. (The other Forum Request thread is closed).

It's probably a bit late, as this phone does not seem to be very popular, and time has passed it by, but it is a cool and innovative phone, and deserves it's own forum as much as any.

I have the 1.000.24 FW's from acer, but how can I install them without Windows?

I have Mac's and Linux, but no Windows PC's.

I am trying to manually pick apart the acer updates, and I think I have successfully picked out boot.img.

I think I also have found recovery.img and system.img

I also see fastboot.exe in there, so all their installer is really doing is flashing with fastboot.

So if I get a valid recovery.img, boot.img, and system.img, I can just flash them with Mac or Linux fastboot.

I am considering buying one of these, but I am not going to buy a Linux/Android phone that requires me to use Windows just to install a FW.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
+1

For a Acer Iconia Smart S300 forum. (The other Forum Request thread is closed).

It's probably a bit late, as this phone does not seem to be very popular, and time has passed it by, but it is a cool and innovative phone, and deserves it's own forum as much as any.

I have the 1.000.24 FW's from acer, but how can I install them without Windows?

I have Mac's and Linux, but no Windows PC's.

I am trying to manually pick apart the acer updates, and I think I have successfully picked out boot.img.

I think I also have found recovery.img and system.img

I also see fastboot.exe in there, so all their installer is really doing is flashing with fastboot.

So if I get a valid recovery.img, boot.img, and system.img, I can just flash them with Mac or Linux fastboot.

I am considering buying one of these, but I am not going to buy a Linux/Android phone that requires me to use Windows just to install a FW.

Agree, it's still one of the nicest sized phones available (imho), so it deserves more attention, but I don't think the community is big enough to get more development.

cwm-installable-zips do work on the cwm and twrp recoveries, so new ROMs created by the community can always be provided in that form. If you want I can also make a backup of the stock 1.000.24 which you can restore with either recovery (twrp or cwm), which will work as well. The only thing I didn't get to work is create an installable zip, but I never invested enough time to get it to work - I think it just needs to be compiled from source to get it going...who knows, I am not a developer so I cannot help you :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi a friend of mine took the time to adapt CWM recovery for the newly released Acer Iconia Smart. I'm sharing that with you as well as an easy tutorial to root your device.

I hope it will help some people.

It's not a one-click method but it remains quite easy if you carefully follow the steps. Just be careful and nothing wrong should happen (the operation is not risk free though).

What you need :

I- Install the driver
    Unless you have already done it.

II- Install a custom recovert menu
    • Plug your Iconia Smart to your PC.
    • Unpack the zip file containing the recovery and superuser.
    • Exexcute install_recovery.cmd and just follow the steps.

III- Prepare to root
    • Once your phone has rebooted copy the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip file to your sdcard.
    • Switch off your phone
    • Switch it back on while pressing [vol+], [focus] and power. Keep pressing the buttons until you're in the recovery (yellow text on black screen)
      (You get "focus" by half pressing the camera button.

IV- ROOT !
    To navigate in the recovery menu use vol keys to go up and down, camera to validate and < to go back.
    • click on "install zip from sdcard"
    • then on "choose zip form sdcard"
    • select the file "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip" that you just copied on your SDcard
    • validate and let it run.

Once done go back to the home screen using [<] and click on "reboot system now".

Your phone will reboot and you should have root. Just check if you see a superuser icon in the applications and try to use an app that require root.
    If someone is interested in custom ROM/Kernel for the Iconia Smart, contact me ;)
    Hi all,

I have built CWM Recovery 5.0.2.8 (latest version on the CyanogenMod Repo), see attached. Didn't test much yet, but it does work. Had to make some minor changes to make the display look correct (see here is what helped me do that).

I am now looking for a newer repository, to add:

* Touch - there's supposed to be beta's but couldn't find a repository
    * Internal SD - possibly just a change in one of the files, still investigating

Anyone more info?

:)

Regards,

Nika.

Use search, my friend, and read a full thread :)

My post in this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24073767&postcount=21

Contains a newer version:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=966744&d=1332791259

And if you want the old version, use the one from here:
    http://vache-android.com/v1/index.php?site=files&file=128

And the drivers you can get from Acer:
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDF... SMART (S300)&OS=a06&LC=nl&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_18

Regards,

Nika.

I am not sure what you are doing exactly. Please be more specific in the steps to take.

Here's some tips:

1. You are using the old version (S300-Recovery.img), please use S300-Recovery-5.0.2.8.zip. It also contains an img file (recovery.img) which is the same as the S300-recovery.img file in the other zip, but a newer version

2. Make sure you have installed the drivers, like mentioned in step I in the first post

3. After extracting the zip-file you need to run install_recovery.cmd. That will install the new S300 recovery, like mentioned in step II from the first post. It will give you the correct instructions when running the cmd, it will mention you go to the black screen with 3 colors and then you press a key to install the recovery

4. After installing the recovery (going through the steps mentioned in step II) you should install the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip (link found in google) from the recovery. Please follow the steps in III and IV of the original post..

Good luck!

For housing and another battery, also use google. I even replaced my LCD touch by finding it on the internet. Simply search for stuff like "battery acer iconia smart" and such :)