No ICS update for A501 apparently!

Search This thread

Silverblade.nz

Nov 18, 2010
Invercargill
Quoted from here: http://www.gsmarena.com/acer_iconia_tab_a501-reviews-3898.php

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-03-02 03:22 from PE8Z - click to read
This is an excellent Tablet my only CON is that the Screen is not as nice as some of the other tablets are but the Tablet is excellent and i got a Report from Acer the other day telling me that the ICS update will be available in the middle of April :)

Acer told me that ICS update will only be available for the A500 not the A501! :(

Sent from my Acer Iconia A501 using XDA Premium App.
(Acer Iconia A501 + Samsung Galaxy S I9000T)

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

This is an excellent Tablet my only CON is that the Screen is not as nice as some of the other tablets are but the Tablet is excellent and i got a Report from Acer the other day telling me that the ICS update will be available in the middle of April :)

Acer told me that ICS update will only be available for the A500 not the A501! :(

Are you seriously basing this bold assumption on a random post from an anonymous source?
Keep up the good detective work buddy.

Reactions: Johnny0906
D

Deleted member 2943498

That depends. Usually it's To Be Announced.

But since Acer already officially announced the update for April it is probably To Be Available this time...

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

I don't know the sales figures for the A501. But since the only differences between the A500 und A501 are the 3G features, I doubt they won't release an update for the 501.

Silverblade.nz

Nov 18, 2010
Invercargill
Are you seriously basing this bold assumption on a random post from an anonymous source?

If you noticed. I did say 'apparently'. I haven't assumed anything. There are also 2 other factors:
1. It says no planned update on the Acer website.
2. When the latest HC 3.2 update was in the works the A501 update seems to have been leaked before the A500 one.

If you don't have anything constructive to say why bother.

lowsum

Aug 25, 2011
Quebec City
I guess they will release it when the remaining qwirks are ironed out from the a500's users feedback, they surely don't want to break something that may put them in trouble with contracted carriers.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Contract /carriers

I do believe that ,well in the us anyway acer has a commitment with AT&T OVER the 3g capabilities in the a501. it could be similar in other countries.As well as the laws in those countries apply as well.
Anyway I WOULD PUT PRESSURE ON THEM and on the assigned carrier your tablet was locked to.. Make the complaints to the point that YOU DID NOT KNOW UP FROM YOUR DEVICE WAS LOCKED TO A CARRIER AS YOU BOUGHT IT off contract. this has worked for people in the past getting there device unlocked and may help get the official update. Just be Polite but slighty pushy and do NOT Take no for a answer.

Good Luck. Start a protest and pound there facebook site.. Been there done that.
Erica Renee

armada786

Feb 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
I saw. Trying to get real information out of a CS rep is like herding cats. They don't know, even when the information is publicly available.

As for the no A501 update, maybe the "No update planned" means that, well, they don't actually have a plan for it yet. Not that they won't. If they don't hopefully CM9 or some ICS variant will help you guys out.

haag498

Dec 31, 2011
I guess you're right. 3g baseband connection is a nightmare, as you're practically dependent on what the baseband manufacturer does... if they don't give you the specs you're screwed. By the way, the communication protocols to the baseband FW tend to be somewhat over-complex, too, to make reverse-engineering harder... Its going to take time, always did and probably always will, so be patient.

RogerDaryl

Oct 16, 2008
Thames
Over on the Acer Aus/NZ facebook page one of the Acer chaps said tha A501 ICS release date will be in June.

Acer ANZ said:
Hi Moe, if you purchased your Iconia A501 (3G+WiFi) from one of the major retailers like Harvey Norman, JB Hi-fi, Bing Lee, **** Smith, Myer or The Good Guys of Officeworks, the ICS update is expected to be ready in June.
Source: wwwfacebookcom / AcerANZ / posts / 416243821735231?comment_id=5579391

(sorry too new to XDA to post a link, remove the spaces, and add the dots from the URL)

huck_d

Jan 25, 2012
Very nice. If so that since now buying any of Acer devices is not planned. This brand is not exist for me anymore. Bye Acer :)

steveja

Aug 9, 2010
Good info Roger!

Lucky i got extra protection warranty from Harvey Norman - i'll use it just for this purpose alone!

damador

Jun 6, 2009
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Over on the Acer Aus/NZ facebook page one of the Acer chaps said tha A501 ICS release date will be in June.

Source: wwwfacebookcom / AcerANZ / posts / 416243821735231?comment_id=5579391

(sorry too new to XDA to post a link, remove the spaces, and add the dots from the URL)

aus nz will get ics alot later than rest of the world - for eu i got toaday another assure from polish/czech support - this month ...

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
aus nz will get ics alot later than rest of the world - for eu i got toaday another assure from polish/czech support - this month ...

Yes, but for A501 or A500? The A500 is flagged to get it from this month on but haven't seen much for the A501....

Remember, the monkeys at Acer support seem to tell you conflicting info depending who you speak to and when....:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If Acer does not update ICS , I sell my shelf and I bought one from another manufacturer.
    And never again I'll get Acer ...
    Here’s what Acer AUS rep said on Whirlpool Forums:

“Whilst the original ETA for the A501 ICS update I received from our PM (Product Management) team was that the update will release starting August 2nd, I have since been informed that the release is now scheduled for 13 August.”

The unlucky majority will have to wait another 10 days before they will be eligible to upgrade to Android Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

I'm in Australia and got my ICS update OTA over a week ago.