[DEV][TOOL] kernel.sin and FTF creator (v1.0)

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
THIS IS FOR ADVANCED/EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY

[ info ]

hello devs/users this should be a useful tool (its just a small CMD/batch script) for u guys...

so it will basically pack zImage and ramdisk into kernel.sin and then create an FTF which can be flashed via FlashTool...

[ requirements ]

1. windows
  2. may be Java installed

[ supported devices ]

• Xperia X10 ONLY

[ usage ]

1. place the compiled kernel zImage & compressed ramdisk (cpio.gz) in the same folder as these files
  2. rename zImage to "image" (without quotes)
  3. rename compressed ramdisk to "ramdisk" (without quotes)
  4. edit the BUILD-IT.bat file and modify the following entries:
    Code:
    echo branding: DooMKernel-v06-BootManager-v1.4 >>  manifest.mf
    echo Created-By: DooMLoRD >>  manifest.mf
    echo version: 2.3.3 >>  manifest.mf
    ren kernel.jar X10_2.3.3_DooMKernel-v06-BootManager-v1.4.ftf
    to whatever you want, as this is what will be displayed in FlashTool FTF window
  5. once you are done editing that file save it
  6. now double click on BUILD-IT.bat to launch kernel.sin & FTF build process
  7. at end you will get a FTF which can be flashed via FlashTool

[ download link ]
kernel.sin and FTF creator v1.0

[ other useful links ]

[DEV][TOOL] kernel.sin unpacker
[How-To] Make custom bootscreen/bootlogo (image to rle)/(rle to image)

icon8.gif

Enjoy!

Attachments

• kernel.sin-and-FTF-creator-v1.0.rar
    181.7 KB · Views: 8,139
Last edited:

adrianom

Oct 14, 2011
Florianópolis
DoomLord,

Very nice...

In theory this method work to all sin files (partition), right? I only need to have the partition attributes, right?

You know how to get the attributes for all partition?

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
DoomLord,

Very nice...

In theory this method work to all sin files (partition), right? I only need to have the partition attributes, right?

You know how to get the attributes for all partition?

yes

check the_laser's thread for info related to partition table...

BUT DO SO AT UR OWN RISK

CosmicDan

Jun 19, 2009
Sydney
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
How is the Bin2Elf and Bin2Sin different to mkbootimg? I ask because mkbootimg gives us some more options that we don't have with the tools by the_laser e.g. specifying the kernel commandline.

EDIT: Basically I want to learn more about the differences between boot.img and kernel.sin, I've crawled XDA for days but I don't think I can piece it all together. From what I understand boot.img is for fastboot/bootloader phones which the X10 isn't, though I am trying to figure out how to convert a boot.img to kernel.sin while retaining the command-line.

Boot.img seems to have only minor differences, the header starts with ANDROID and some other text such as the kernel command-line but I can't find any plain text in kernel.sin or loader.sin so I'm not sure where I can inject/remove some bytes to make the boot.img work with flashtool. Apart from the header the only other difference is random machine code two-thirds or so down, my guess is that's were the init.rd has been strapped on the end of the kernel.

Anyway, I tried flashing a boot.img in flashtool which I built based on the way custombootimg.mk does, but the flashtool freezes when it gets to kernel, I know that's probably silly but I hope there is some more material on the web or buried in XDA about the work you and the_laser have done that I could read up on.

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
How is the Bin2Elf and Bin2Sin different to mkbootimg? I ask because mkbootimg gives us some more options that we don't have with the tools by the_laser e.g. specifying the kernel commandline.

EDIT: Basically I want to learn more about the differences between boot.img and kernel.sin, I've crawled XDA for days but I don't think I can piece it all together. From what I understand boot.img is for fastboot/bootloader phones which the X10 isn't, though I am trying to figure out how to convert a boot.img to kernel.sin while retaining the command-line.

Boot.img seems to have only minor differences, the header starts with ANDROID and some other text such as the kernel command-line but I can't find any plain text in kernel.sin or loader.sin so I'm not sure where I can inject/remove some bytes to make the boot.img work with flashtool. Apart from the header the only other difference is random machine code two-thirds or so down, my guess is that's were the init.rd has been strapped on the end of the kernel.

Anyway, I tried flashing a boot.img in flashtool which I built based on the way custombootimg.mk does, but the flashtool freezes when it gets to kernel, I know that's probably silly but I hope there is some more material on the web or buried in XDA about the work you and the_laser have done that I could read up on.

If u just want kernel command-line u can define it in defconfig whole compiling kernel...

Refer to the_laser's thread to get more info on SIN files...

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

Apif Fuloh

May 13, 2012
Tasikmalaya
THIS IS FOR ADVANCED/EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY

[ info ]

hello devs/users this should be a useful tool (its just a small CMD/batch script) for u guys...

so it will basically pack zImage and ramdisk into kernel.sin and then create an FTF which can be flashed via FlashTool...

[ requirements ]

1. windows
  2. may be Java installed

[ supported devices ]

• Xperia X10 ONLY

[ usage ]

1. place the compiled kernel zImage & compressed ramdisk (cpio.gz) in the same folder as these files
  2. rename zImage to "image" (without quotes)
  3. rename compressed ramdisk to "ramdisk" (without quotes)
  4. edit the BUILD-IT.bat file and modify the following entries:
    Code:
    echo branding: DooMKernel-v06-BootManager-v1.4 >>  manifest.mf
    echo Created-By: DooMLoRD >>  manifest.mf
    echo version: 2.3.3 >>  manifest.mf
    ren kernel.jar X10_2.3.3_DooMKernel-v06-BootManager-v1.4.ftf
    to whatever you want, as this is what will be displayed in FlashTool FTF window
  5. once you are done editing that file save it
  6. now double click on BUILD-IT.bat to launch kernel.sin & FTF build process
  7. at end you will get a FTF which can be flashed via FlashTool

[ download link ]
kernel.sin and FTF creator v1.0

[ other useful links ]

[DEV][TOOL] kernel.sin unpacker
[How-To] Make custom bootscreen/bootlogo (image to rle)/(rle to image)

icon8.gif

Enjoy!
I've edited built.bat as you suggest, but the output is just a kernel.sin and manifest.mf but not create files FTF, why is there anything wrong with that? Can you explain in more detail?

jf85

May 29, 2012
Orsa
i see u got many brains so i ask...

with thies tools u show.
is it posseble to get an ftf file like ST18i_4.1.A.0.562_(1252-5332).ftf firmware but with root and cwm installed alreddy ?
If so please send me one.. im just goin crazy on having to reflash my device then installing cwm and root plus other things all the time...
Right now im up to 43 times installing over and over (im trying to get a rom to work) ( but always get it too loop the logo screen always)

sammyroid

Jun 2, 2012
Mumbai
REQUEST :(

you do not have java installed ???

btw you can use this
kernel kitchen
can U please Xplain me the step to create img to sin pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee................

and i installed jdk and android sdk

and since my phone doesnt go in fastboot mode I want to change my kernel via flashboot mode
so the file must be ftf and sin format .
SO PLEASE ............PLEASE .............. PLEASE help me .................

Top Liked Posts