[Q] Fast battery discharge

Search This thread

harishvr9

Nov 17, 2010
My Nexus 4 is just over a year old. It has been performing really well throughout this period. A month back, the soft buttons on the screen stopped working and I got the screen replaced. The phone was working very well even after this. I am running only the stock Android. I haven't rooted the phone yet.

Over the last few days, the battery discharge has been fast and unpredictable. I have attached the Battery screenshot. I shall explain the sequence of events to describe the screenshot.

The battery goes from 40-50 to 0 in one go! (the first downward steep drop). Phone had already switched off. I connected it to a charging point and restarted the phone.

While the phone was being charged (the slow upward red slope), I did some research on this. Since, Google Play Services was consuming most of the battery, the following solution seemed to be good to follow.

(Disable Hangouts, sign out of Google+, turn ON Location Reporting, reboot, then reenable Hangouts and sign back into G+),

I tried this. Once I rebooted, the battery power was 56% !! (The steep upward climb)

I used it for some time. And kept it on charge to charge it completely. But after some time, the battery charge dropped to 19% (the second drop in the screenshot). I rebooted the phone again. And this resulted in the next battery charge spike upto 45%!!

I tried searching for Hangouts app or Google+ app on the phone. But they no longer exist in the app drawer.

Is this a battery issue? Or some software issue? Should I try a factory reset?

Edit1: Added a larger image of the battery stats.
------
An avid Nexus 4 fan !!

Last edited:

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
That is some really strange behavior. It either can be a software or a hardware issue.
You may do a factory reset and install a factory image. Be sure that you charge your batterie to maximum first before doing the reset. If there is still this drops than it mostly is a hardware issue. Replacing the batterie could help.

Also a huge N4 fan. High five for that! ;D

harishvr9

Nov 17, 2010
That is some really strange behavior. It either can be a software or a hardware issue.
You may do a factory reset and install a factory image. Be sure that you charge your batterie to maximum first before doing the reset. If there is still this drops than it mostly is a hardware issue. Replacing the batterie could help.

Also a huge N4 fan. High five for that! ;D

Yes. Concerned about the battery :(

I havent rooted the phone. Would I need to do that for installing a factory image?

P.S. I have added another image with a better depiction of the battery behavior.

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
Like I said before, try a normal factory reset first and if this does not work then flash a factory image. In the most case a normal factory reset will do.

The difference between a reset and a factory image is like a white shirt you are washing. A reset is like putting this shirt in the washing machine if it has stains. It will be white and clean again. But after some time those stains wouldn't go away completely and your white shirt isn't that white like before anymore. Flashing a factory image will be like buying a new white shirt. :D

Erovia

Sep 16, 2012
@harishvr9: If you want to be 100 sure it is not a software issue, you should flash the latest factory image on your phone with fastboot. For this, you will need a working fastboot or (Android SDK) on your computer, the N4 factory image from HERE and being able to boot into bootloader mode (VolDown+Power).

harishvr9

Nov 17, 2010
@harishvr9: If you want to be 100 sure it is not a software issue, you should flash the latest factory image on your phone with fastboot. For this, you will need a working fastboot or (Android SDK) on your computer, the N4 factory image from HERE and being able to boot into bootloader mode (VolDown+Power).

Thanks !! I am sure there would be a thread on XDA to guide me on this!

Rajnus

Sep 6, 2008
My Nexus 4 is just over a year old. It has been performing really well throughout this period. A month back, the soft buttons on the screen stopped working and I got the screen replaced. The phone was working very well even after this. I am running only the stock Android. I haven't rooted the phone yet.

Over the last few days, the battery discharge has been fast and unpredictable. I have attached the Battery screenshot. I shall explain the sequence of events to describe the screenshot.

The battery goes from 40-50 to 0 in one go! (the first downward steep drop). Phone had already switched off. I connected it to a charging point and restarted the phone.

While the phone was being charged (the slow upward red slope), I did some research on this. Since, Google Play Services was consuming most of the battery, the following solution seemed to be good to follow.

(Disable Hangouts, sign out of Google+, turn ON Location Reporting, reboot, then reenable Hangouts and sign back into G+),

I tried this. Once I rebooted, the battery power was 56% !! (The steep upward climb)

I used it for some time. And kept it on charge to charge it completely. But after some time, the battery charge dropped to 19% (the second drop in the screenshot). I rebooted the phone again. And this resulted in the next battery charge spike upto 45%!!

I tried searching for Hangouts app or Google+ app on the phone. But they no longer exist in the app drawer.

Is this a battery issue? Or some software issue? Should I try a factory reset?

Edit1: Added a larger image of the battery stats.
------
An avid Nexus 4 fan !!

Same symptoms.
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/help/nexus-4-sudden-signal-loss-battery-t2797981

harishvr9

Nov 17, 2010
@CCody and @Erovia .. pls Help ..

I unlocked the bootloader. But when I am trying to flash the factory image via flash command i get this response.

""flash is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

What did I do wrong? Fastboot.exe is there in the sdk/platform-tools folder.

Now I am stuck on the "Lock State - Unlocked " screen

Edit - Got it working !! Thanks a ton! Will report whether it worked or not

Last edited:

Erovia

Sep 16, 2012
@harishvr9: The easiest way is to run the flash-all.bat (on Windows) or the flash-all.sh (Linux/OSX). It will flash the bootloader, the radio, reformat your partitions and copy the files on them.

Reactions: harishvr9

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
Damn, I am a bit late. I am sorry for that.
Let us stay updated in any cases! :)

harishvr9

Nov 17, 2010
Damn, I am a bit late. I am sorry for that.
Let us stay updated in any cases! :)

@Erovia and @CCody

I am back with an update. I had installed the factory image of 4.4.3 stock android. The system notified me about an update and the notification was lingering on the screen. So I ran the update. The weird thing was that the battery was at 85% before it restarted. After it updated and rebooted, the battery was at 36%!

Now what does this infer? Battery issue? Or 4.4.4 update issue?
Thanks in advance for the support !!

Erovia

Sep 16, 2012
Why didn't you flash the 4.4.4? :D
Anyway, charge it to 100% and see what happens.

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
@Erovia and @CCody

I am back with an update. I had installed the factory image of 4.4.3 stock android. The system notified me about an update and the notification was lingering on the screen. So I ran the update. The weird thing was that the battery was at 85% before it restarted. After it updated and rebooted, the battery was at 36%!

I would suggest to try this ROM out for a few days and if this issue still occurs, than it is no doubt this is a hardware issue.
Have you already charge your batterie to maximum once?

harishvr9

Nov 17, 2010
I would suggest to try this ROM out for a few days and if this issue still occurs, than it is no doubt this is a hardware issue.
Have you already charge your batterie to maximum once?

Doing it now. Will leave it without charge overnight to see how it fares. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day. The battery better stay with me !

Rajnus

Sep 6, 2008
@Erovia and @CCody

Why didn't you flash to 4.2.2 and waited for couple days. All of us that have same problem like you got it after 4.4.3

Sent from mobile

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like I said before, try a normal factory reset first and if this does not work then flash a factory image. In the most case a normal factory reset will do.

The difference between a reset and a factory image is like a white shirt you are washing. A reset is like putting this shirt in the washing machine if it has stains. It will be white and clean again. But after some time those stains wouldn't go away completely and your white shirt isn't that white like before anymore. Flashing a factory image will be like buying a new white shirt. :D
    @harishvr9: The easiest way is to run the flash-all.bat (on Windows) or the flash-all.sh (Linux/OSX). It will flash the bootloader, the radio, reformat your partitions and copy the files on them.
    I have exactly the same symptoms in my phone. It goes normally from 100 to 30% and then it turns off without any low battery warning.
    It's really weird. It started 1 week ago, probably with the 4.4.4 update.

Not sure if should buy a new battery or try to flash a custom Rom

Cheers from Portugal,
    AC
    Always try another rom, before wasting money. ;)
    I recommended cyanogenmod or paranoid android. :good: