[Kernel] [2.6.34/2.6.35] OCed - UVed: -1.113Ghz

Search This thread

flak0

Jan 3, 2009
Pembroke Pines , FL
Wild ass guess here, but looks like issues with your Dalvik/java vm.

If it were me, I'd try wiping the dalvik-cache in Recovery and rebooting. Couldn't hurt to try. Might help.

i will try and report back. thanks

edit: i wipe dalvik and now log is generating more error. see below
D/skia ( 619): ---- read threw an exception
W/System.err( 619): java.io.IOException: Is a directory
W/System.err( 619): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.readImpl(Native Method)
W/System.err( 619): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.read(OSFileSystem.java:158)
W/System.err( 619): at java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:319)
W/System.err( 619): at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fillbuf(BufferedInputStream.java:183)
W/System.err( 619): at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:346)
W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.nativeDecodeStream(Native Method)
W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.decodeStream(BitmapFactory.java:459)
W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.decodeFile(BitmapFactory.java:271)
W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.decodeFile(BitmapFactory.java:296)
W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.drawable.Drawable.createFromPath(Drawable.java:801)
W/System.err( 619): at android.widget.ImageView.resolveUri(ImageView.java:501)
W/System.err( 619): at android.widget.ImageView.setImageURI(ImageView.java:289)
W/System.err( 619): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
W/System.err( 619): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
W/System.err( 619): at android.widget.RemoteViews$ReflectionAction.apply(RemoteViews.java:458)
W/System.err( 619): at android.widget.RemoteViews.performApply(RemoteViews.java:925)
W/System.err( 619): at android.widget.RemoteViews.reapply(RemoteViews.java:917)
W/System.err( 619): at android.appwidget.AppWidgetHostView.updateAppWidget(AppWidgetHostView.java:196)
W/System.err( 619): at android.appwidget.AppWidgetHost.updateAppWidgetView(AppWidgetHost.java:243)
W/System.err( 619): at android.appwidget.AppWidgetHost$UpdateHandler.handleMessage(AppWidgetHost.java:72)
W/System.err( 619): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
W/System.err( 619): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
W/System.err( 619): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4363)
W/System.err( 619): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
W/System.err( 619): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
W/System.err( 619): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:860)
W/System.err( 619): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:618)
W/System.err( 619): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
D/skia ( 619): ---- read threw an exception
D/skia ( 619): --- SkImageDecoder::Factory returned null

EDIT: SOLVED - ISSUE WAS OCCURING DUE TO BEAUTIFUL WIDGETS NEW FEATURE "TRANSPARENT BACKGROUND". I WILL CONTACT THE DEV. THANKS AGAIN ALL

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
i will try and report back. thanks

edit: i wipe dalvik and now log is generating more error. see below

EDIT: SOLVED - ISSUE WAS OCCURING DUE TO BEAUTIFUL WIDGETS NEW FEATURE "TRANSPARENT BACKGROUND". I WILL CONTACT THE DEV. THANKS AGAIN ALL
I don't think is Beautiful Widgets "Transparent background" issue, as I using it and never face any issue on it.

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
I don't think is Beautiful Widgets "Transparent background" issue, as I using it and never face any issue on it.

I concur.

* W/System.err( 619): java.io.IOException: Is a directory

Is the actual problem, the rest of the log is exactly what I'd expect after this error was thrown so there's almost no assistance in the following lines except for this one:

* W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.drawable.Drawable.createFromPath( Drawable.java:801)

Which tells us which resource the system got confused about (for whatever reason). So, this leads me to suspect it's this crazy issue:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2733

However this error can also occur because of a transient state such a losing a network connection to the resource location. Although I doubt this is the problem. Having a file and a directory of the same name and not explicitly declaring what you're looking for can also generate this error... that would be poor coding.

Either way, the chances of it having anything to do with the kernel (as you've already established) are remote.

Off the top of my head... if an application was only partially installed and you tried to use it you could conceivably get this type of error.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I concur.

* W/System.err( 619): java.io.IOException: Is a directory

Is the actual problem, the rest of the log is exactly what I'd expect after this error was thrown so there's almost no assistance in the following lines except for this one:

* W/System.err( 619): at android.graphics.drawable.Drawable.createFromPath( Drawable.java:801)

Which tells us which resource the system got confused about (for whatever reason). So, this leads me to suspect it's this crazy issue:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2733

However this error can also occur because of a transient state such a losing a network connection to the resource location. Although I doubt this is the problem. Having a file and a directory of the same name and not explicitly declaring what you're looking for can also generate this error... that would be poor coding.

Either way, the chances of it having anything to do with the kernel (as you've already established) are remote.

Off the top of my head... if an application was only partially installed and you tried to use it you could conceivably get this type of error.
I believe is the network connection lost issue, it easier get FC for certain application when network connection lost or bad, example Engadget widget(latest version already solve the issue)

phreaker18

Dec 19, 2006
the new updated kernel is running smooth ... i used the update.zip through recovery and its working smooth with wifi

sunstorm

Aug 7, 2007
Nice work Pershoot!

Hi Pershoot,

I'm new to the N1 scene having decided to buy myself one last week as a birthday present since HTC doesn't seem to have any intentions of improving my experience with the Hero by releasing the 2.1 rom.

I skipped the Desire for pretty much the same reason :) Google thus far have seem pretty quick on releasing updates to their own phone.

I must say, excellent piece of work! (04302010 release).

thus far, after running about 2 days on it, i have not faced any FC issues nor particularly bad lagging and no serious battery drainage issues. On stock ERE27 rom with only root and your kernel mod. Had to use the old wifi bcm4329.ko file though. The new one just didn't work for me.

Do keep on working on this kernel and you have won yourself another one of the many rabid fans you have :D

cheers

Edit: Do keep on releasing your kernel if possible in update.zip & zimage format to support as many users as possible and ... I'd hate to have to flash another recovery just to use your kernel (RomManager) so if possible, continue your releases in the current fantastic manner.

Last edited:

ibegary

Nov 28, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
After a full charge and deleted batterystats.bin, 26 hours later down to 19% with the following scaling in Set CPU:

1113/245 - 100% to 60%
989/245 - 60% to 40%
589/245 - 40% to 25%
384/245 - Under 25%

On and off moderate use and with BGData/Sync = On.

No problem with my beautiful widgets with full transparent background.

Just a FYI.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
After a full charge and deleted batterystats.bin, 26 hours later down to 19% with the following scaling in Set CPU:

1113/245 - 100% to 60%
989/245 - 60% to 40%
589/245 - 40% to 25%
384/245 - Under 25%

On and off moderate use and with BGData/Sync = On.

No problem with my beautiful widgets with full transparent background.

Just a FYI.

I'm sure your definition of "moderate" would be my definition of "light" usage, based on the battery life you're experiencing. LOL. I could never dream of that kind of battery life with any kernel on any smartphone I've ever owned; I've mostly just learned to resign myself to that and keep chargers nearby wherever I am frequently.

Posts that are vague with comments about so much battery life with "moderate" usage would be less frustrating to others if the post defined what "moderate" means to the one making the post, so we all have something to compare to. I know many of us have beaten our heads against the wall in frustration in the past over experiencing much worse battery life with what we call "moderate" usage when we've read posts like that. ;)

More useful to others, in my opinion, to say something like "I'm getting 26 hours on this kernel compared to 24 hours with the prior kerne or 18 with the stock kernel" or something like that that's a bit less vague than "moderate" or "light" or "heavy".

Perhaps the community could come up with some kind of usage scale (1-10 or something) as a common point of reference, but I don't see it, as there's just way too many user variables that go into how each of us individually use the phone: live wallpapers or not, network using widgets or not, background apps or not, screen settings high or low, EDGE or 3G, push emails or not, GPS on or not, etc, etc.

That said, I didn't realize the new SetCPU update added extra battery % profiles for more fine tuning. I think yours are pretty close to what I'd use, though I'd never go as low as 384 on the CPU. Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest kernel continues to be rock-solid on my phone.

ibegary

Nov 28, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
I'm sure your definition of "moderate" would be my definition of "light" usage, based on the battery life you're experiencing. LOL. I could never dream of that kind of battery life with any kernel on any smartphone I've ever owned; I've mostly just learned to resign myself to that and keep chargers nearby wherever I am frequently.

Posts that are vague with comments about so much battery life with "moderate" usage would be less frustrating to others if the post defined what "moderate" means to the one making the post, so we all have something to compare to. I know many of us have beaten our heads against the wall in frustration in the past over experiencing much worse battery life with what we call "moderate" usage when we've read posts like that. ;)

More useful to others, in my opinion, to say something like "I'm getting 26 hours on this kernel compared to 24 hours with the prior kerne or 18 with the stock kernel" or something like that that's a bit less vague than "moderate" or "light" or "heavy".

Perhaps the community could come up with some kind of usage scale (1-10 or something) as a common point of reference, but I don't see it, as there's just way too many user variables that go into how each of us individually use the phone: live wallpapers or not, network using widgets or not, background apps or not, screen settings high or low, EDGE or 3G, push emails or not, GPS on or not, etc, etc.

That said, I didn't realize the new SetCPU update added extra battery % profiles for more fine tuning. I think yours are pretty close to what I'd use, though I'd never go as low as 384 on the CPU. Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest kernel continues to be rock-solid on my phone.

My apologies for the aggravation.

It seemed to be short lived anyways. After the first initial charge I haven't had the same results.

I'll post screenies of all the battery information I can after today.

For example. Off the charger at 8AM @ 100%, now at 942AM its at 96% with one, 2 minute voice call and one e-mail.

I'll report back at noon.

EDIT: I should still report that i'm very happy with this Kernel and the extra life i'm getting over stock.

Last edited:

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I agree Distorted. I for one make about 4 hours of calls daily with my phone. Hence if I get 8 hours of battery life it's a minor miracle. I like you have learned to keep chargers and spare batteries in all possible places. This is my daily driver and as such it gets used heavily each and every day

ibegary

Nov 28, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
100% at 8AM
81% at 2PM

1 HQ Youtube Video, On 3G Entire Time, 3 Emails, 1 Phone Call and 5-10 minute browsing session on Drudgereport.com

Here are the screenies:

Attachments

• device1.jpg
    device1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 31
  • device2.jpg
    device2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 32

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My apologies for the aggravation.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you were personally causing anyone aggravation! Hope you didn't take it that way.

Trying to reconcile all of our different usage patterns and the wild variance in battery life reported on the various forums where the topic comes up can be a bit mind blowing at times though, and when you're like me, there's not much mind to blow in the first place. :D

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Pershoot: I am using the nightly from Cyan's latest build (from late last night) and I am getting super duper lag on Asphalt 5. I wiped and did the reflash shuffle and that didn't help. Any thoughts

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Pershoot: I am using the nightly from Cyan's latest build (from late last night) and I am getting super duper lag on Asphalt 5. I wiped and did the reflash shuffle and that didn't help. Any thoughts
I thought you'd be waiting for this to become beta? Or did I get users mixed up, lol.:p

Top Liked Posts