Pointless upgrading to froyo ?

Search This thread

tupirujp

Dec 18, 2010
So who be upgrading to froyo now that its available ?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

tupirujp

Dec 18, 2010
How is it ? I'm running. Firefly 2.2 suckerpunch kernel # 51 and a theme by darky u think its worth for me to flash back to stock and upgrade

rjblack11

Jan 31, 2011
basically upgrade if you're bored. its for folks who dont want to flash custom roms more or less. all the customized stuff the devs on here offer is way better than official 2.2

all in all not worth it. still havent found a lagfix yet but have figured out how to root/install cwm

now i wait for the first dev to create a rom i can test

qwertyaas

Aug 17, 2010
I'm only curious if gps is actually better, but sounds like it's not. Shocking...

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
How is it ? I'm running. Firefly 2.2 suckerpunch kernel # 51 and a theme by darky u think its worth for me to flash back to stock and upgrade

There's a whole thread full of posts from people who already upgraded. The title is secret, though, so you might have missed it. It has the words "Official Froyo" in it.:rolleyes:

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
basically upgrade if you're bored. its for folks who dont want to flash custom roms more or less. all the customized stuff the devs on here offer is way better than official 2.2

all in all not worth it. still havent found a lagfix yet but have figured out how to root/install cwm

now i wait for the first dev to create a rom i can test

If you haven't tried it, how do you know if it's better or not? :confused:

You might want to see this post. Supercurio, who developed SPeedMod, has injected Voodoo Lagfix into the Rogers Froyo Kernel, it will work for AT&T Froyo. I have better speeds and performance than on any custom ROM or SpeedMod. Try it out.

qwertyaas

Aug 17, 2010
Have you tried getting into LBS test mode and resetting your GPS Data?

*#*#3214789650#*#*
Then select delete GPS Data

Also, first locks on new software take longer the first time. If you do the above, it should help.

Didn't take longer when I flashed Cog or supernova.

I didn't flash KB1 but not surprised there are still issues. GPS data, servers and all that won't fix broken hardware.

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
Didn't take longer when I flashed Cog or supernova.

I didn't flash KB1 but not surprised there are still issues. GPS data, servers and all that won't fix broken hardware.

Well, maybe just give it a try. It can't hurt.

I guess we're lucky in Canada, haven't seen anyone here with these GPS issues.

jc2470

Jul 14, 2007
lafayette
You guys act as if these custom roms are without bugs. I have flashed many of them and im back on stock because there is always something wrong. besides its not that hard to remove the bloatware yourself. My gps hasnt ever worked on any custom rom dont know if it will on knew one since it wont let me upgrade. problems with call logs showing incorrectly or problems with txt, bt crashes. I have no problems on stock at all, removed all att stuff and it is the way i want it, I dont even use the themes that come with em only a few i seen that i liked and had to buy seperately to make it complete.

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
You guys act as if these custom roms are without bugs. I have flashed many of them and im back on stock because there is always something wrong. besides its not that hard to remove the bloatware yourself. My gps hasnt ever worked on any custom rom dont know if it will on knew one since it wont let me upgrade. problems with call logs showing incorrectly or problems with txt, bt crashes. I have no problems on stock at all, removed all att stuff and it is the way i want it, I dont even use the themes that come with em only a few i seen that i liked and had to buy seperately to make it complete.

Well put. Custom ROMs are basically skinned stock I9000/2.2 ROMs anyway, with bloatware stripped out, other functionality added, and custom kernels and modems.

The beauty of a stock ROM, rooted, with boatware removed(TiBu) and a voodoo injected kernel is better stability, functionality, and reliability. A lot of people here who use custom ROMs have never had access to a native 2.2 stock ROM, and thereby have nothing to compare it to, yet they are stating that custom ROMs are better than 2.2 stock, but how would they know? They've never tried it. Why not try it out? We already have a working 2.2 kernel with Voodoo Lagfix, and I can't say it enough: for me, better speeds, better reliability, faster performance, etc.

However, I'd like to see what happens when we can start making custom ROMs based on 2.2 rather than I9000 though. Non of this wishy washy kernel/modem compatibility etc. It will be better for everyone.

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
Well put. Custom ROMs are basically skinned stock I9000/2.2 ROMs anyway, with bloatware stripped out, other functionality added, and custom kernels and modems.

The beauty of a stock ROM, rooted, with boatware removed(TiBu) and a voodoo injected kernel is better stability, functionality, and reliability. A lot of people here who use custom ROMs have never had access to a native 2.2 stock ROM, and thereby have nothing to compare it to, yet they are stating that custom ROMs are better than 2.2 stock, but how would they know? They've never tried it. Why not try it out? We already have a working 2.2 kernel with Voodoo Lagfix, and I can't say it enough: for me, better speeds, better reliability, faster performance, etc.

However, I'd like to see what happens when we can start making custom ROMs based on 2.2 rather than I9000 though. Non of this wishy washy kernel/modem compatibility etc. It will be better for everyone.

Andromeda is built on a stock 2.2 Captivate ROM. So is Cog 4.