[ROOT] Stock ICS Leak One-Click Root Tool

Search This thread

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Hi all!

First off, I'm new to xda Developers so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum! I thought I'd post information about a tool I wrote here which roots stock 4.0.3 leak on the A500, A501 and assumingly the A200 too. Its literally one click - just enable USB debugging. "ICS Root" also installs, optionally, FaceLock and Trebuchet (although FaceLock doesn't want to work. It lets you set it up though =P)

Since version 5.0.1 this also now works with the new 0.022.00 leak!

The full post is over at TegraOwners: http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350

The only real system requirements are Windows (with .Net Framework 4) and an Iconia on the stock 4.0.3 leak. I hope somebody finds this useful :) its been tested by myself and a couple of TegraOwners users and it works well.

In terms of the technique used, it uses the great Jay Freeman's mempodroid exploit to gain root at which point it mounts /system rw and installs su, busybox and Superuser.apk so no real surprises there. Installing Trebuchet adds that apk to /system/app and installing FaceLock installs the apk to /system/app before installing the pittpatt folder to the flexrom (mounted as /system/vendor). I plan to open source it when all the requested features have been implemented and the code has been cleaned up.

Thanks!

~blackthund3r

EDIT 14/05/2012: ICS Root 7 is out ;) enjoy!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
What about flashing CWM with acer recovery installer once rooted? I guess it would screw the bootloader...

If you are on the cwm with the HC boot loader it should work as Its Magic will be run..
if you are on the new boot loader as in the full non modded leak.. It will give you secure boot error ..
The new boot loader Blocks its magic.

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
root doesnt work like its supposed to. i know its only half root due to the bootloader, but terminal emulator flat out says i'm not rooted after this despite sixasis working and titanium backup/root checker both saying i have root and busybox. i'm going to post this on TO as well for you incase you dont check here often.

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
root doesnt work like its supposed to. i know its only half root due to the bootloader, but terminal emulator flat out says i'm not rooted after this despite sixasis working and titanium backup/root checker both saying i have root and busybox. i'm going to post this on TO as well for you incase you dont check here often.

That's storage cos terminal works for me and running su in an adb shell works great too.

Code:
pp_9@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_9@android:/ $ su
# exit
app_9@android:/ $ su
#

Reactions: electric bill
After reading the other post, I have found that I cannot write to the system directory from the device itself. The folder attributes indicate that it is set to write, however File Explorer HD will not let me. I have tried to create a folder in the /system and it will not accept the addition. The strange thing is that Root Check says it is rooted, File Explorer HD accepts putting it into Root Explore, but that is it. It is odd. I will try to reapply the Root to see if that makes a difference.

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
After reading the other post, I have found that I cannot write to the system directory from the device itself. The folder attributes indicate that it is set to write, however File Explorer HD will not let me. I have tried to create a folder in the /system and it will not accept the addition. The strange thing is that Root Check says it is rooted, File Explorer HD accepts putting it into Root Explore, but that is it. It is odd. I will try to reapply the Root to see if that makes a difference.

Please, read the op before bringing this up. This method is for half root, its the only way possible right now on stock leak ics. There is a special script you need to use to mpunt system. You can find it in the stock leak thread, run it in terminal or use rom toolbox and set it as a script to run at boot because rebooting loses write privileges.

Please, read the op before bringing this up. This method is for half root, its the only way possible right now on stock leak ics. There is a special script you need to use to mpunt system. You can find it in the stock leak thread, run it in terminal or use rom toolbox and set it as a script to run at boot because rebooting loses write privileges.

Sorry for offending you and whoever else it did. Thank you for pointing that script out in that post. My intent was to offer a second comment to your assessment..

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London

I have a better script which I'll be releasing as an update to the root app this morning hopefully. It'll be a terminal command to remount rw.

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
New update out!!

I have a better script which I'll be releasing as an update to the root app this morning hopefully. It'll be a terminal command to remount rw.

Version 3 came out this morning :)
It features some bug fixes as well as a completely new remount menu which mounts /system rw properly on the fly. Tested with a busybox installer app ;)

Enjoy!

paugustin

Dec 10, 2009
Paris
OnePlus 7
Thanks for your tool blackthund3r !

I tried it with the new leak from this morning and it doesn't seem to work anymore :(

Edit :
Just to be a little more specific, the app says the process was OK and state that the tablet is rooted but the tablet doesn't reboot by itseld and su is not installed. I tried to install su manually but it's unable to find a previous su package on the system.

Last edited:

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Thanks for your tool blackthund3r !

I tried it with the new leak from this morning and it doesn't seem to work anymore :(

Edit :
Just to be a little more specific, the app says the process was OK and state that the tablet is rooted but the tablet doesn't reboot by itseld and su is not installed. I tried to install su manually but it's unable to find a previous su package on the system.

ah okay it appears a completely new leak has been released. It is possible that the mempodroid exploit has been patched up. I'm gonna look into it soon. I can't much tonight - I have school work. I'll see what can be done and what the differences between leaks are.

EDIT: mempodroid hasn't been patched :D See ICS Root v3.1 ;)

Last edited:

castafiore

Sep 13, 2010
Hi blackthund3r

Thanks for the update 3.1 but could you please fix the problem on your hosting website? clicking on this file send to an error warning.

The other files can be downloaded though. :confused:

gersma

Jun 11, 2007
can someone post a mirror to the 3.1 version? current link is not working.

can somebody also confirm, if i root with this tool, i will be able to reinstall my clockworkmod recovery through 'acer recovery installer' and flash any other cwm rom? or do i have to downgrade to honeycomb 3.01, install iconiaroot for honeycomb and then acer recovery installer?

castafiore

Sep 13, 2010
Gersma,

I'll be able to answer to your question as soon as I'll be able to download this tool and test it. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

First off, I'm new to xda Developers so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum! I thought I'd post information about a tool I wrote here which roots stock 4.0.3 leak on the A500, A501 and assumingly the A200 too. Its literally one click - just enable USB debugging. "ICS Root" also installs, optionally, FaceLock and Trebuchet (although FaceLock doesn't want to work. It lets you set it up though =P)

Since version 5.0.1 this also now works with the new 0.022.00 leak!

The full post is over at TegraOwners: http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350

The only real system requirements are Windows (with .Net Framework 4) and an Iconia on the stock 4.0.3 leak. I hope somebody finds this useful :) its been tested by myself and a couple of TegraOwners users and it works well.

In terms of the technique used, it uses the great Jay Freeman's mempodroid exploit to gain root at which point it mounts /system rw and installs su, busybox and Superuser.apk so no real surprises there. Installing Trebuchet adds that apk to /system/app and installing FaceLock installs the apk to /system/app before installing the pittpatt folder to the flexrom (mounted as /system/vendor). I plan to open source it when all the requested features have been implemented and the code has been cleaned up.

Thanks!

~blackthund3r

EDIT 14/05/2012: ICS Root 7 is out ;) enjoy!

At first this didn't work then I plugged my a500 into a differentUSB port then it was fine thank you works awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Glad it worked for ya :)

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Note to you all: this tool does NOT touch the OTA apps. It should not, therefore, affect OTA on ICS (AFAIK).
    To unroot simply remove the files which ICS Root adds (I.e. remove busybox, its symlinks, su, Superuser.apk,Remounter.API,sysro & sysrw :)

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
    cwm version?

why would it not work with cwm version?
    Thank you so much for your rooting method. The One-click ver. 7.1.1 worked on the tablet!! I haven't tested the unrooting method but will do so later on!! I also installed your A500 manager script which is GREAT as well!! Though for some reason, when going into recovery I only see the droid with the triangle and exclamation mark in it. I don't see the TWRP which i had installed. In any case, I'll look it up further and see what is it I'm doing wrong ;)!!! A big Thanks once again!

Device Info which was rooted (in case anybody is wondering):
    Model Number = A500
    Android Version = 4.0.3
    Kernel Version = 2.6.39.4+
    Image Version = Acer_AV041_A500_RV05RC01_PA_CUS1
    Build Number = Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1

Keep up the good work!

Glad it helped! The unroot tool is rubbish by the way - just ignore it ;P

If you want recovery you need to unlock your bootloader using something like my APX Flash Tool. Find a bundle which has a recovery installed too :)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2