WiFI Signal Dropping - Nexus 7 (2012)

Search This thread

tizza2k

Feb 14, 2014
Recently the WiFi signal on our Nexus 7 (2012/Wifi only/16gb) has been dropping regularly.

Its that bad now that even if we use the device in the same room as our router its only showing one/two bars on the signal. If we go upstairs or even in the kitchen it either disconnects or its super slow.

I have no idea why this is happening, i thought it may have been kitkat so ive downgraded back to 4.3 and im using SmoothROM with Mkernel.

Still have the same problem...

Ive tried the usual fixes that seem to be pasted all over the net... ie, changing channel on router, rebooting device, changing wifi settings

The tablet has been dropped a few times, could this have anything to do with it??

deltatux

Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Recently the WiFi signal on our Nexus 7 (2012/Wifi only/16gb) has been dropping regularly.

Its that bad now that even if we use the device in the same room as our router its only showing one/two bars on the signal. If we go upstairs or even in the kitchen it either disconnects or its super slow.

I have no idea why this is happening, i thought it may have been kitkat so ive downgraded back to 4.3 and im using SmoothROM with Mkernel.

Still have the same problem...

Ive tried the usual fixes that seem to be pasted all over the net... ie, changing channel on router, rebooting device, changing wifi settings

The tablet has been dropped a few times, could this have anything to do with it??

Likely the antenna in the device is loose. Dropping the tablet can cause hardware failures. That or the WiFi radio has been damaged.

deltatux

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
I briefly had similar problems after dropping my Nexus 7. The problem was that the back cover had popped loose along one side. Once I snapped it back into place the wifi signal was back to normal. It wasn't obvious that the back cover we loose until I began squeezing the front and back together and working my way around the edges.

Wicked50

Mar 10, 2014
I would check if the pins are making contact on the back case. Pull off the back cover and bend the 2 pins out slightly so it will make a better connection. There are 3 sets of pins there, it's pretty straight forward which pins are for the wifi. There are labels on the back cover to identify which pins go to what. Good luck. This should fix your problem, unless there is a hardware issue.