[Q] Telstra Australia Radio for Photon Q

Search This thread

chykan

Apr 9, 2014
Is there a Telstra radio for the Motorola Photon Q available?

I have got my phone working on the Telstra NextG Network with the following details.
Android Version: 4.0.4
Baseband Version: ASANTI_C_BP1139.000.18.09P

Telstra's 850mhz 4G Network is incompatible with my phones 4G hardware.
3G is working Fine.

I have Mobile Data with Telstra's APN's Setup
I can send and receive SMS
I can only receive MMS but cannot send without using Google Hangouts

Would anyone here have a clue as to what is going on? Please see below link with screen shots of the settings screens etc.
crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/XT897-Motorola-Photon-Q-4G-LTE-Can-Recieve-MMS-but-will-not-Send/td-p/279597

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
If you can't send MMS, I don't think your issue is the radio.

Have you checked your APN settings?

Edit - I just read thru your telstra thread, looks like you've gone thru APN's and it sounds like your "fix" is to use Google Hangouts but this isn't an acceptable workaround for you...

Not sure what else we can do for you. If it works with hangouts, then something is up with the ROM itself I suppose. Try running CM.

I don't personally use MMS, Sprint has always been terrible at it, and ever since I merged my number with Google Voice, most MMS messages just go into a black hole. I just tell people to email me pics, that works 100% of the time.

Last edited:

CornholioGSM

Apr 13, 2005
Prague
...all motorola phones from usa have problems with mms on gsm networks.
solution is install anothes sms/mms apk or install cyanogenmod....then all works fine :)

chykan

Apr 9, 2014
If you can't send MMS, I don't think your issue is the radio.

Have you checked your APN settings?

Edit - I just read thru your telstra thread, looks like you've gone thru APN's and it sounds like your "fix" is to use Google Hangouts but this isn't an acceptable workaround for you...

Not sure what else we can do for you. If it works with hangouts, then something is up with the ROM itself I suppose. Try running CM.

I don't personally use MMS, Sprint has always been terrible at it, and ever since I merged my number with Google Voice, most MMS messages just go into a black hole. I just tell people to email me pics, that works 100% of the time.

Thanks for the reply mate and the time you took to read the other thread.

Do you know anyone using a Photon Q with Sim Mod in Australia?

Google Hangouts will have to be acceptable, I was just facebook emailing photo's before that. Just nice to have the phone functioning as it should.

I have been debating between Cyanogen and Carbon, but the phone is working fine on ICS and I have done major setups within Tasker and Multiple Home Screens, (Car Home V3 and Normal Home Screens) with multiple widgets. I do not want to loose this setup.

I do have TWRP installed and the phone is Rooted.

Cheers Hunter

chykan

Apr 9, 2014
The (LAC Local Area Code) does not seem to match from my phone settings using *#*#4636#*#*

Phone Settings: LAC=3250
Network Signal Pro: LAC=12880

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Well that explains it.
Is that meant to be "anothers sms/mms apk" or "anothes sms/mms apk"?

I think he means "another sms/mms apk" - as in a third party solution like GoSMS, or even the Hangouts solution you have deployed.

The (LAC Local Area Code) does not seem to match from my phone settings using *#*#4636#*#*

Phone Settings: LAC=3250
Network Signal Pro: LAC=12880

This could be it, but I am not an expert by any stretch of the word on this topic...

chykan

Apr 9, 2014
I think he means "another sms/mms apk" - as in a third party solution like GoSMS, or even the Hangouts solution you have deployed.

This could be it, but I am not an expert by any stretch of the word on this topic...

If I could just find a way to change the LAC: in Phone Settings,
I am guessing LAC:3250 is based in America somewhere.
LAC:12880 is definitely wht the cell towers are using in Australia.

schmandroid

Apr 29, 2013
Perth
Thanks for the reply mate and the time you took to read the other thread.

Do you know anyone using a Photon Q with Sim Mod in Australia?

Google Hangouts will have to be acceptable, I was just facebook emailing photo's before that. Just nice to have the phone functioning as it should.

I have been debating between Cyanogen and Carbon, but the phone is working fine on ICS and I have done major setups within Tasker and Multiple Home Screens, (Car Home V3 and Normal Home Screens) with multiple widgets. I do not want to loose this setup.

I do have TWRP installed and the phone is Rooted.

Cheers Hunter

Hey man, I've been using Telstra here in Oz on my Photon Q's for about a year now.

I'm using CM, but I have used stock before on my other Q with no probs.

Sent from my SIM-modded Photon Q

chykan

Apr 9, 2014
No worries - nice to know another Aussie has good taste in phones.
I have 2.5 Q's - always good to have some spares....never know!

Sent from my SIM-modded Photon Q

The iBeige revolution and the Beige Masses that have followed each other like sheep, have ensured all that is sold is Touch Screen Only phones. I remember once upon a time when everyone wouldn't buy a phone without hardware buttons. Cheap crappy hardware QWERTY's have put the final nails in the coffin.

I nursed a HTC Touch Pro 2 for five years, replaced the bodies once a year, only thing being original was the mother board.

Same will be with this Photon Q, until another hardware QWERTY is made in the future, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

LiL_Assassin

Feb 19, 2012
Photon q

I know this is outdated, but anyone here who doesn't use the photon q in Australia want to sell? I have an s2 I would swap as well :) I miss having a qwerty keyboard..

schmandroid

Apr 29, 2013
Perth
I have a couple of modded Q's, and a couple of spare stocks with busted screens. Might be able to work something out - in Perth

Sent from my PHOTON Q using XDA Free mobile app