Free GV incoming/outgoing calls using Vonage Mobile App

Search This thread

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1402271748643.jpg just got my renewal notification. Sweet!

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
The drawback with regards to the Vonage app is that the Hangout extension is forwarding the call to the computer, not additionally routing calls to the computer...so if my computer is available, it takes cuts the line ahead of the Vonage app, and the Vonage app never rings.

A resulting issue with this is that the Hangouts extension only keeps track of Hangout conversations that originated from the app/extension, not phone calls (or text messages) that were routed to the Hangout App/Extension. What this means is if someone calls tries to set up a Hangout Call via the Hangout App and I miss it, I get a notification, but if someone attempts a regular phone call that rings on my computer and I miss it, the app/extension does not notify me or keep a history log of the attempted call. Additionally, since the call was never routed to my phone, there will be no record of a missed call there either. To get around this, I sign out of the Hangout extension on my computer if I don't plan on using it.

It's nice to answer GV incoming calls from your computer. But ppl claim that the call quality to be inferior probably because I'm using the computer's microphone. So I disabled "Ring on incoming phone calls" in gmail.com to avoid Hangouts intercepting the GV incoming calls. From gmail.com, click your name in the left bottom (Hangouts). Then Hangouts setting will appear where you can uncheck "Ring on incoming calls."

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
It's nice to answer GV incoming calls from your computer. But ppl claim that the call quality to be inferior probably because I'm using the computer's microphone. So I disabled "Ring on incoming phone calls" in gmail.com to avoid Hangouts intercepting the GV incoming calls. From gmail.com, click your name in the left bottom (Hangouts). Then Hangouts setting will appear where you can uncheck "Ring on incoming calls."

I think I did this directly in the Hangouts extension. However, it still redirected my calls to the computer, it merely had a smaller pop up notification than normal. Vonage still didn't ring unless I was completely signed out of the Hangouts extension

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
I think I did this directly in the Hangouts extension. However, it still redirected my calls to the computer, it merely had a smaller pop up notification than normal. Vonage still didn't ring unless I was completely signed out of the Hangouts extension

Sounds like you didn't disable it from the gmail.com interface.

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
I always seem to have a day or two of issues w/ ReachMe Roaming after my subscription expires, even if I hit the renew subscription button. What happens is that I can't receive calls until I fiddle around with the settings for some reason.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vonage Mobile app has allowed android users to make free phone calls using GV number as CID. However, it didn't allow us to receive regular phone calls, which was a big drawback of this app.

But now, it's possible to receive free phone calls with "ReachMe Roaming."

1. Go to Vonage Mobile app>settings and choose "ReachMe Roaming"
    2. Do NOT check "Inbound calls to xxx-xxx-xxxx will be received on Vonage Mobile."
    3. Click "More ways to ..."
    4. Write down the Vonage assigned new incoming 10-digit DID number.
    5. Add this number as one of your GV forwarding numbers. It may take a while for GV to verify this number. It took me several tries.

Now you can make free WIFI GV incoming/outgoing calls.

Notes:
    1. This is irrelevant to gtalk XMPP shutdown.
    2. Vonage app uses GCM so very little battery drain.
    3. Vonage app uses a better audio codec than other VOIP apps so the call is crystal clear especially over WIFI. The only issue I have on 3G is while driving on highway (cell tower switching).
    4. ReachMe Roaming is not permanent. Once activated, it lasts for 14 days. After 14 days, you get a notification to renew (keep the same #).
    5. If GV forwards incoming calls to both Tmo and Vonage numbers, then Vonage app will ring first and Tmo phone will ring 1 second later. Unfortunately, you can't decline Tmo phone to answer in Vonage. In my case, I only set GV forwarding to Vonage.
    6. This free calling will expire in 9/4/2014. I hope Hangouts will be able to do regular phone calling before then.
    After using this method for 2+ weeks, I consider this to be the most reliable VOIP solution for me ($30 Tmo prepaid + Nexus 4). This will no longer be free on 9/4/2014 but I hope Google Hangouts will be able to make free VOIP calls soon.