HTC Vivid Stock ICS Issues

Search This thread

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
Im loving ICS so far, but I have noticed some quirks also and I want to know if anyone has had these issues before.

1. Backlight buttons rarely turn on, and when they do they shut off again shortly and stay off most of the time even after i press them in normal operation.

My Vivid is stock unrooted, updated via OTA

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I believe this is an old issue. There was a thread on it last fall. I tested my phone then. The button backlights would come on only when I was in a dark room. The opinion of others was that this was done to reduce the battery drain.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Running a stock Vivid and I am also having major skipping issues when using a Bluetooth connection to play my music. Before the update there was never a skip. Now skips seem to happen at random intervals and fairly frequently. I have searched around and the issue looks to be widespread and not device specific. But I have not found any solution from apps, developers, and certainly not ATT or HTC. I know it is not the SD card after testing between the playing music from the phone and SD card. Any suggestions?

If you have not done so already, you and all the others with the skipping problem need to send an e-mail to HTC support. No, they don't have a fix for it, but they need to know the extent of the problem so they and/or Google will (hopefully) fix it. I would not count on HTC or Google reading this forum looking for things to fix.

It's clear that the ICS upgrade broke several things. HTC is in a better position to pressure Google, but we have to pressure HTC. Talking among ourselves may provide some workarounds (Voice Dialer replacements for example), but we have to hit HTC hard. Also, I took every opportunity at CNet and ZDNet to post my complaints. We should also be doing the same on the other Android forums.

Boss428man

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
I upgraded a friends Vivid and now his headphone jack doesn't work. It continues to play sound/music through the phones speaker. Is this a problem with ICS on the Vivid? Same headphones and audio jacks work perfect on my Thunderbolt.

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
I upgraded a friends Vivid and now his headphone jack doesn't work. It continues to play sound/music through the phones speaker. Is this a problem with ICS on the Vivid? Same headphones and audio jacks work perfect on my Thunderbolt.

Don't have that issue. Mine works fine, use it everyday. May be a hardware issue and not software. Try different types of headphones. Also see if the headphone jack pops up and also the beats logo should come on if enabled while plugged in and music is playing.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
My biggest issue really with ICS is Sense just rapes it too much. Sense was great on GB, an overall improvement to everything. But its just not necessary on ICS. Stock ICS is beautiful the way it is. Sense 3.6 makes the phone feel like its just a slightly updated gingerbread. I mean most of the features are intact, aside from the widgets in the app drawer, but the look of sense 3.6 is just too gingerbread for my tastes.

I know its not the issue we're looking for in this thread, but I had to get that off my chest. I had a Captivate before this, and I had true ICS on my phone at one point, 100 times better looking than "sense 3.6" ics.

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
The more I hear, the less I want do the upgrade. Sounds like nothing but problems.

Entirely not true, If it wasnt for the ICS update, i would have gotten rid of this phone a long time ago, performance imo has increased 100% in smoothness and overall user experience, not to mention Beats Audio also. GB was crap, Sense was jerky, browser was laggy, it did not feel like a dual core phone expecially since my last phone was a SGS2. Im totally happy with the Vivid now and a couple of minor quirks wont change that

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Don't get me wrong the update is totally worth it. The issues are all and all pretty minor. All and all everything is better over gingerbread just mixed on sense in general. I will say sense 3.6 launcher is easily the best stock launcher, great customization and very smooth animations and the usual top notch widgets. Also I read a long article comparing sense 3.6 to 4.0 and 4.0 is alot like 3.6 but the main difference is the UI features stock ics elements ie flat black borders instead of textured gray. Its ashame we didnt get 4.0. Thats really my primary gripe about 3.6 and ICS, google apps just don't match the sense look! Also I hate how the widgets selection menu is the same as it was on gingerbread in a list with no previews. 4.0 they display just like stock ics

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

Last edited:

-Epix-

Feb 11, 2009
Illinois
any way to down grade. i tried to reset reset and it just cleared everything off of ics. i wanna go back to ginger.

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
im not rooted so i dont think i can flash that file

You don't have to be rooted to flash the file. You download it, put it on the root of your external sd card, boot into hboot, and it does the rest. The only thing you have to be is unlocked for it to work. Also, after flashing it make sure to delete the file as every time you boot in to hboot it would run that file.

-Epix-

Feb 11, 2009
Illinois
just bought the phone today. i came from a rooted htc inspire. trying to not brick this one like i did my lg thrill lol

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

so i see miui isn't available on this device. :( what is a good one for vivid ROM that is

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
There usually anyway provided by the manufacturer. Also be careful to if your phone came with ics putting gb back on may brick it. I bricked a refurbished captivate once that came with 2.2 trying to put 2.1 back on simply because the refurbished one was a newer model that didn't support 2.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've upgraded to the latest ICS from AT&T and am not experiencing any of the reboot issues that you're speaking of. I put my Vivid on a charging dock and it goes into doc mode and is that way when I wake up in the morning. I even have it trip an alarm at 7AM. If it's rebooting overnight, I'm not aware of it. In GB there was a screen that told you the up time and sleep time. I can't find it on ICS otherwise I could confirm whether or not it is rebooting overnight.

As for battery life, it doesn't appear to be any worse than GB for me and for today, It's been on the battery over 1.5 hrs and still at 100% battery.

Menu - Settings - Power - Battery Use
    Select the Up time counter for more details
    I've seen threads with this issue or that issue, but no single thread yet dedicated to issues that have cropped up for HTC Vivid users since the ICS OTA update.

I run stock-- No root, no custom rom, just stock the way it came from AT&T.

The phone has been wonderful. Battery standby time was phenomenal (on a full charge, I could expect to take my phone to work around 6:30 am, and see a minimum 60% to 75% left when I got home around 5:30 pm). I never experienced random reboots, crashes, etc.

Then I updated OTA to the new ICS using standard AT&T procedure-- This would be the official release, downloaded and installed last week.

Now, if I reboot the phone, I have to wait while it installs updates it already had when I installed ICS. This is a minor incovenience, but annoying.

I also see noticeably less standby time. I'm lucky now to have 50% left when I get home from work.

Most alarming, though, is the nightly crash on the charger. My dad is in and out of the hospital with heart issues, so turning off my phone to charge it isn't really an option. Every night since I updated, my phone random reboots on the charger (last night it did it twice).

So now I'm seriously wondering:
    (1) Is anyone else having these new issues since updating to the official ICS release?
    (2) Is there some way I can "downgrade" to the more stable version my phone had before (the extra features and tweaks aren't worth the tradeoff for stability and standby time)?

Thanks to any and all who take the time to consider this post and reply accordingly.
    Why not try downloading the official RUU since you are still locked,
    http://www.htc.com/us/support/vivid-att/downloads/ and install it
    sounds like something scewed up when you uploded the OTA update via phone.
    I've had a good amount of auto reboots when using Pandora period, w/out bluetooth. On Gingerbread stock Rom.

I've heard a number of people mention this, I think this may be more of a pandora issue/3rd party app issue...idk for sure though

I think the issue is lte. It pulls more amps than the battery can handled. Using wifi has fixed the issue.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA
    I did notice the back lighting. It's a bit weird now. It seems its completely dependent on light or dark. I covered my front camera with my finger to test the theory and sure enough, the back lighting came on.