Votes: 15 13.0%
  • No ICS zip

Votes: 18 15.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Bleak3993

Feb 28, 2011
Viña del Mar
It doesnt work for me, im on Epsylon's may 8 CM9, i tried switching all of baseband that worked before, but still no signal, now the app show this: Unfortunately, DEFY Baseband Switcher V4 has stopped. ... what's wrong now?

Last edited:

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
It doesnt work for me, im on Epsylon's may 8 CM9, i tried switching all of baseband that worked before, but still no signal, now the app show this: Unfortunately, DEFY Baseband Switcher V4 has stopped. ... what's wrong now?

First I alredy have EP93_U_00.59.01 and don't work the unlock.
Then i use baseband change, and again don't work.

appears insert unlock code :(

Can you explain to me, how did you do? plz

No idea guys, you've tried everything in vain :/. I'm sorry i can't do much more :/. Maybe if one day you change ROM or update it may work. Bad luck

Motorola Defy, CM7 @ 1Ghz + CM9 multiboot
[Guide] Install double boot CM7 + CM9
[Guide][Root needed] Unsimlock your Defy
[Mod/Fix][APP]Messaging apps with ENTER button enabled![/QUOTE]

mato_d007

Feb 24, 2012
San Luis
Im on Eppy 08/05 and i cant make it work too (this is the newest green lens build). Maybe with next build...

Suggestion: Add on first post wich ROMs have succeeded with the unlock and which ones not.
My experience:

Succeeded: All MIUI and CM7 roms, and WIUI (which is based on MIUI). In other words, all the gingerbread roms i have tested worked ok.

Failed: ICS 08/05 Eppsylon´s Froyo nightly. I haven´t tested other ICS rom.
PD: Thanks for the patch :)

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
Im on Eppy 08/05 and i cant make it work too (this is the newest green lens build). Maybe with next build...

Suggestion: Add on first post wich ROMs have succeeded with the unlock and which ones not.
My experience:

Succeeded: All MIUI and CM7 roms, and WIUI (which is based on MIUI). In other words, all the gingerbread roms i have tested worked ok.

Failed: ICS 08/05 Eppsylon´s Froyo nightly. I haven´t tested other ICS rom.
PD: Thanks for the patch :)

Yeah but some ICS roms work though. In addirion it also depends whether you're on nand or VFS

nathrinder

Oct 3, 2006
Paris
For those having problems softunlocking some of the last ICS releases, it seems like the .zip package fails to patch the init file as needed. As a result, the bp_ptc service isn't started at boot.

As a temporary fix, you can :
- turn on airplane mode
- start a terminal emulator and run "su" then "bp_ptc"
- turn off airplane mode
Voilà! Your simcard works again!

Of course this method isn't permanent, but it's a good way to check if the softunlock method works. Edit the init file manually to avoid having to do this every time you turn your phone on.

Sent from my Motorola Defy running ICS, with the XDA App.

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
For those having problems softunlocking some of the last ICS releases, it seems like the .zip package fails to patch the init file as needed. As a result, the bp_ptc service isn't started at boot.

- turn on airplane mode
- turn off airplane mode

Of course this method isn't permanent, but it's a good way to check if the softunlock method works. Edit the init file manually to avoid having to do this every time you turn your phone on.

Thanks, we'll check and fix this in the automated script ;)

romix_uy

Sep 2, 2008

- turn on airplane mode
- turn off airplane mode

Thanks a lot for this fix... The softunlock works for me... =D
If I can bother you, I will need your help to figure out how to edit the init file manually cause Im a noob... =(

Thanks again and sorry my bad english

manoutch

Nov 12, 2011
Grand Est
- turn on airplane mode
- turn off airplane mode

I have try this method with cm9-SKANKY-Defy+.05252012-2238, but always have reboot :(

EDIT: same with Quarx CM9-NIGHTLY-120522-Defy+

Last edited:

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
I'm reading the script that applies the mod (system/bin/bu.sh), to find out why it doesn't work with all ICS roms. In vain.. Could people help me to find the error please? (unix language)
Download ICS 1.3 unlock, open it with an archiver, open bu.sh in system/bin (in the zip file)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a software unlock for the Motorola Defy

• NEW: Jelly Bean roms and ICS roms work!
    • See the troubleshooting post (post N°2) if you have problems!

Last update: 06/06/2012 ->Troubleshooting section updated (see post 2)

Disclaimer: This manipulation is not risk free. Niether I nor XDA Developpers can be held responsible for damage made upon your phone. Thus, don’t worry we're doing good work and you'll do a backup ;)

Root is needed!

Credits go to yakk from motofan.ru / Special thanks to Labsin for his involvement and help​

Note: Not all Baseband versions work with this hack, to know if it will work for you, go to settings-> system info and check if baseband version is "EPU93_U_00.59.01". If it is not indicated there, then try installing defybaseband switcher and look at info in the app

If your baseband version is different, you can try to change it to the one that works (nandroid backup first ) by downloading Baseband_change(EPU93_U_00.59.01).zip, and putting it in /sdcard/, and flashing it via recovery.​

Flashing a zip has never been easier

Thanks to labsin, there's an easy flashable.zip that will:

1. Backup your original two files and put them in the folder "simlock_original_files" on your SD card (safety first :D )
    2. Apply a modification to init.mapphone_umts.rc
    3. Copy the fixed bp_ptc file
    Go into recovery, flash Softunlock_defy_v1.1.zip that fits your baseband version and you're done!

!!YOU MUST REBOOT ONCE AFTER THE OPERATION BEFORE CHANGING SIMS!!

Voila!

Don't forget to reboot phone once!
    Only then you can test by rebooting with another simcard

Hit thanks button if i helped you! :D
    Any problems? I'm here to help ;)
    Changelog

v1.3:
    • ICS ROMs are now fully supported!
    v1.2:
    • zip will check if the line to be added already exists, so it doesn't get added more than once
    v1.1:
    • automated zip that will add a line in mapphone_umts and copy fixed pt_ptc in system

Troubleshooting

• I have no signal when i put another simcard in my Defy
    Have you rebooted at least once BEFORE changing sim cards??​
    Try using Defybaseband switcher to select the correct frequencies for your carrier​
    Try method below​

• You are still asked the unlock code

- Turn on Airplane Mode
    - Run Terminal emulator and type "su" and then "bp_ptc"
    - Turn ofr Airplane Mode

• Airplane mode won't turn off
    Flash the baseband(EPU.0.59..) file in the first post, then play around with your APNs and network settings untill you fix it (see post 308)​

• You are having trouble unlocking a stock ROM
    See Post 260

Proof of success

Holy mother of Jesus, I could unsimlock my defy+ (plus) :D :D . Here is what i did (i think some steps could be ignored but is good to know the entire procedure i've done)

1) Because of a failed CM7 flash, first I flashed a 2.3.5 SBF
    2) Flashed quarkx 26-feb nightly for defy+ (baseband EPU93_U_00.60.00)
    3) Changed to a proper baseband with defy-baseband-switcher v4.0
    3) Changed to baseband EPU_U_00.59.01 following steps mentioned in 1st page
    4) Flashed softunlock 1.2 for EPU_U_00.59.01
    5) Rebooted (still no sim change till this step)
    6) Power off the phone and changed SIM

7) Rebooted
    8) Almost had an orgasm :D

I'll be posting links i used later if somebody ask for them

Thanks to all people directly and indirectly involved (very special thanks to crakeron for his help)
    Quarx added this to his ramdisk. Expect the softunlock to work in the next release.

Edit:
    Attachment is for adding the binary. Should be all you need (in the fist nightly after 19 October).

Edit 2: New zip.
    Hi

Using a MB525 green lens with Quarx' CM10 from 17.11 i applied baseband switcher patch (no change in sysinfo) and ICS softunlock, then SIO scheduler setting you told, it seems to work but will i have to unlock each time i update rom..?
    This unlocking method seems to work better with 02.11 version of the maybe it's better to downgrade until a better fix is published..? as it's not for my phone i can't tweak it whenever i want and has to work flawlessly...

Thanks in advance
    Julien

Well, i have a green lens too, so i tried to reproduce the problem on my phone. And it happens. This is what i did:
    -Full wipe
    -Flashed 17/11 CM10 build
    -Flashed Gapps (without voice)
    -Flashed ICS_Defy_softunlock_v1.3(EPU_U_00.59.01).zip directly (without baseband change)
    -Reboot and then i had an endless boot loop on bootanimation as expected.
    -Changed the value of iosched_sio to 0, then reboot. It booted normally and unlocked.

Then i registered my account, etc. and changed baseband to get signal. Rebooted again and everything normal.
    After another reboot just to check, i got an endless bootloop again as you said. So yes, this is new... to be sure, i disabled CPU settings and it booted again normally. After more testing i can say that it boots ok with CPU settings enabled but with Boosted governor, and sio disabled, so this build have problems with sio AND with interactive governor too.
    Long story short: Dont use this build (it can be used and unlocked, but you will lose interactive governor), wait for next one to see if this is fixed.
    To get it to boot i had to flash the http://quarx2k.ru/cm10-2ndboot-nightly-defy(+)/update_for_02.11.zip. I know it is backward but maybe someone can find the difference.

I then installed the 1109 rom and disabled the cpu settings in the bootmenu. This sets it to ondemand and boots and is simunlocked after flashing the unlock zip. I then changed the govenor to interactive in the performance settings. Try and see. Nothing to lose.

The problem is not the governor, but the I/O sheduler. Some JB roms will not pass boot animation if you keep SIO sheduler activated after soft-unlock. To disable it, go to bootmenu->CPU settings->scroll down to iosched_sio and change the value from 1 to 0. This will disable SIO scheduler but you will keep interactive gobernor and the phone will boot normally. The CFQ sheduler will be enabled. Hope this helps.