Serial Number Unkown

Search This thread

djsaad1

Mar 18, 2010
How many of you have settings/about/status stating that your serial number is unkown?

I am trying to figure out if this is a flaw or if its no big deal. Also want to know if this is what is causing me from not getting any ota update yet.

Scumbag Inc.

May 21, 2010
Austin, TX
Before reading the second part of your post I was thinking that. I too have no serial number listed and am not getting OTA updates.

djsaad1

Mar 18, 2010
so far there are 3 of us with no serial number and no OTA and at least 2 of the 3 bought from best buy

integratyper

Jan 3, 2012
ive had several posts about this and i do correlate not being able to get ota updates because it is showing serial number unknown. Mine is a US unit bought from best buy.

JustinFields95

Dec 30, 2011
I really hope mine doesn't have this problem... I ordered mine from best buy and it should be here sometime today..

Sent from my LG-VM670 using XDA App

integratyper

Jan 3, 2012
Well looks Like we solved this mystery as to why some can't get ota updates ....now for the person who solves this puzzle they will get a nice shiny reward! :)

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I wouldn't mind if mine had this problem. I never accept ota updates after i am rooted anyway. And if you have no serial number what will Asus copy to void your warranty when you use their bootloader unlocker.

integratyper

Jan 3, 2012
I wouldn't mind if mine had this problem. I never accept ota updates after i am rooted anyway. And if you have no serial number what will Asus copy to void your warranty when you use their bootloader unlocker.

We have a serial on box and outside of tablet but not in the actual about tablet area under settings. Not a big deal not to be able to do ota updates but it may delay us getting ics which sucks.

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
We have a serial on box and outside of tablet but not in the actual about tablet area under settings. Not a big deal not to be able to do ota updates but it may delay us getting ics which sucks.

Yeah, not getting OTA-update is not a problem. But the waiting time until they put the latest firmware on their server is annoying.

I think everybody who has the problem should write Asus. It's the only way that they will start to look into this.

curreyr

Dec 1, 2011
Have any of you tried to update via a microSD card?
The procedure is here.

note: the document ("Updated Version of SOP(English)") references TF101, but was present in the "manuals" section for the TF201 at support.asus.com.

djsaad1

Mar 18, 2010
Have any of you tried to update via a microSD card?
The procedure is here.

note: the document ("Updated Version of SOP(English)") references TF101, but was present in the "manuals" section for the TF201 at support.asus.com.

The problem is asus hasn't posted the newest firmware. If someone with root could just get us the latest zip from their updated prime we would be able to update via sd card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought mine from Gamestop and I don't have a serial number as well and no OTA updates either.
    I was on .27 when I receieved my prime on the 28th. I ran the updater many times and it told me that tehre was no update available. So I found out that I can update it by going to Asus support. So I downloaded the .29 update from the website and installed it. Now since the .33 has been out for about 2 days now and mine still doesn't see an update. It seems to me like the people w/o serial numbers are getting f@cked!
    Where can one spot a first glance telltale sign of a missing serialnumber (android noob, sorry)?
    Im picking mine up tomorrow and I dont want to deal with a "ghost" prime. ;)

In the settings, bottom choice is "about tablet" then Status.
    It doesn't match the s/n on the sticker on the back of my prime...

Mmh ok, thanks for the information. I'll keep investigating
    Well, just got off the phone with Asus. The guy I talked to said that they were aware of the issue, and that a downloadable fix was on the way, that would actually correct the underlying issue making the serial display correctly, which presumably would make all the corresponding issues (no ICS, no root, etc.) dissappear. He couldn't give a time frame for the fix though, so take that information with a grain of salt.