Using a T-Mobile Note 3 on ATT

Search This thread

jeffs99

Apr 25, 2011
I'm plannng on purchasing a new T-Mobile Note 3 and use on an existing ATT line.And also eventually want it rooted and don't want to trip KNOX.
Questions:

1. Do I need to activate it on T-Mobile first for any reason?
2. Should I unlock first or root first.?
3.What's the best way to unlock, (if at all possible) have T-Mobile give you unlock code, use pay online service (if cost not an issue) or some free method described on this forum?
4. Is Root de la Vega the best way to root? Any risks?

Thanks

Anonymous777

Jun 17, 2012
Salt Lake City
I was curious about that as well. Since I had to work out South near Arkansas and they seem to have nothing but at@t towers and a few Verizon.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
I'm plannng on purchasing a new T-Mobile Note 3 and use on an existing ATT line.And also eventually want it rooted and don't want to trip KNOX.
Questions:

3.What's the best way to unlock, (if at all possible) have T-Mobile give you unlock code, use pay online service (if cost not an issue) or some free method described on this forum?

Thanks

Hi,

I'll try to answer since I'm trying to do the same thing:

1. I don't think that you should or should matter
2. If you can get the code from Tmo or buy it, then have the option unlock first. If not and you want to use something like Region Lock Away, you have to Root first. As a rule of thumb though, since I use many different carrier phones on other carriers, I try to as stock as possible, while trying to set up on the new carrier. Which means.. Unlock first, if you can.
3. I'd imagine getting the code from Tmo or ordering it online is the safest KNOX trip free course..
4. Depending on the firmware you have, the safe methods or even working methods, change... For example if you're on NB4 like me, then there is no KNOX safe method, but to Kies to NE4 and root with Towlroot

Good luck Sir...

Mr Ian B

Aug 3, 2010
My story of this scenario.

Bought tmobile Note3.
Paid it off
Called Tmobile and got unlocked code.
Switched to Staright Talk $45 ATT plan.
Ported my number to Traight Talk.

Heaven.

Ian B

Get my monthly refill cards from ebay.

jeffs99

Apr 25, 2011
My story of this scenario.

Bought tmobile Note3.
Paid it off
Called Tmobile and got unlocked code.
Switched to Staright Talk $45 ATT plan.
Ported my number to Traight Talk.

Heaven.

Ian B

Get my monthly refill cards from ebay.

Did you have to sign up for any kind of (non) contract for them to give you the unlock code?
How long did you have the phone before they gabe you the unlock code?

Thanks

Mr Ian B

Aug 3, 2010
Did you have to sign up for any kind of (non) contract for them to give you the unlock code?
How long did you have the phone before they gabe you the unlock code?

Thanks

Bought in November 2014 when it came out, paid off January 2014, asked and got code in Feb 2014.

Ian B

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
Supposedly you need to have the phone activated on the t mobile network for 45 days. If it gets paid off anytime afterwards all you need to do is request the unlock code. Calling and giving them your imei number they can look up the phone and tell you if you can get it unlocked. From that point it takes anywhere from 2 to 7 business days. You get the unlock code in your email.

The only bad scenario I can see is if you bought it off of someone who called it in and reported it stolen or lost. Then you must go through alternative sources to get your Sim unlocked.

Fusionized tweaking tapatalker here...

kabuk1

Nope.

Depends how you plan to unlock. If you use the method that I mention in the next answer, you have to root first. If you use any other method, it doesn't matter.

RegionLock Away is the easiest method, IMO. About $3 in the Play store.

I don't know anything about this method as I rooted before it came out, so I can't answer this one.