Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Search This thread

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
I love it ,how It crashes alot and battery drains.apps force close alot i specially i love how google wallet still doesn't work.my galaxy s3 is the best even it can't play nova 3, tomtom app doesn't work and i love to flash roms specially flashing recoveries just to get one rom to work.
I love it how my phone when im on a call and my screen stays black and i have to reboot all the time thats the best ever i so love it when it reboots itself i don't even have to touch a button its like magic and its the best feature on the device. I can go on and on it won best award for best worst phone ever and im proud of that.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like you are using a broken rom and kernel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

metalhawj

Jul 12, 2012
What's an Iphone?

Open source to rule them all...

Android is Neo in matrix.
Iphone ur just in the matrix.

I don't get it when people say open source.I don't even think people get it when they say open source.

If android is as open source as everyone says, why do we still have to go through the trouble of rooting and unlocking bootloaders. Why are there apps that require root?

Why do developers have to beg Samsung to release documentation for the exynos chip?

Reactions: AnsemHk

Sir_Brizz

Apr 14, 2009
Provo Area
Because who has anything better to do... ;)
dislike: Apps arent built as good as in app store.
Then get developers of apps you want to use to make better apps.
- stock UI is just garbage with so much bloatware. only tolerable with custom roms.
I prefer vanilla but I actually haven't minded TouchWiz. I came from an Atrix which I love and had rooted and custom ROMd to snot, but the new TouchWiz is actually usable.
- Love or hate for most people but I really dont like how every damn app can theme itself.
I don't even know what this means. Every app in iOS can "theme itself", too.
- people will flame for this buta rooted android phone is not as customizable as a jailbroken iphone.
1. a custom rom is really as far as you can go. whatever comes with the rom is what you get.
2. i dont count theming because both can do it.
I'm not interested in flaming, but I am curious what specific things you mean.
even it can't play nova 3
Huh? I just played NOVA 3 this morning...
best worst phone ever and im proud of that.
Why do you even use this phone? Sell it and get something else. Also, I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned with force closing, battery drain, or anything else.
If android is as open source as everyone says, why do we still have to go through the trouble of rooting and unlocking bootloaders. Why are there apps that require root?
Because unlocking bootloaders has nothing to do with whether or not software is open source, and the fact you can root Android so easily in many cases is partially due to the fact that it is open source.
Why do developers have to beg Samsung to release documentation for the exynos chip?
Because the Exynos chip is proprietary, not open source.

Reactions: KryPTiCk0d3

Bigjim1488

Feb 19, 2008
New York
Like: expandable memory, better emulators, capacitive buttons, nice camera, OPTIONS for different default Apps.

dislike: Apps arent built as good as in app store.
- stock UI is just garbage with so much bloatware. only tolerable with custom roms.
- For every cheap problem, there is a cheap solution, and there are plenty that come up here and there.
- S3 isnt very friendly with mac users
- MMS/SMS just plain sucks. every group message from iOS is sent as a MMS
- Love or hate for most people but I really dont like how every damn app can theme itself.
- every phone has its own rooting community.
- large screen is nice, but still a bit too big for me. slightly smaller would be perfect.

- people will flame for this buta rooted android phone is not as customizable as a jailbroken iphone.
1. a custom rom is really as far as you can go. whatever comes with the rom is what you get.

this is based on my experience upgrading from iPhone 4 to S3 and how i personally use my phone.

I have to disagree on your last point. Yes I loved my jail broken iphone 4s but it was not as smooth jail broken as my galaxy is rooted. After a while with my iPhone I would run into slow downs and crashes with tweaks running. Granted great concept but most people I know that jail break and tweak hard end up having issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sianspheric

Sep 21, 2012
For those with battery issues i felt the same way with my first android after my iphone (2 years ago) and what you have to do to get super awesome battery is find the right kernel and uv settings... it works wonders! If ur phone doesnt like uv then ur outta luck but all 3 of my androids seem to have liked it:p

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

How exactly do I do this?

I am rooted, running Triune II right now as my ROM.

But I have no idea how to mess with kernals and "UV" settings?

theraffman

Jul 22, 2011

this is based on my experience upgrading from iPhone 4 to S3 and how i personally use my phone.

Just curious, what customizing can be done on a jb iPhone that can't be done on android?

I had iPhones for years and I found that a jb iPhone is only slightly more tweakable than stock android, jb iPhone couldn't touch rooted android, between init script, kernels, uv/oc manipulation, audio tweaks, Roms specifically cm, aosp, miui etc...

But that's my experience.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
- large screen is nice, but still a bit too big for me. slightly smaller would be perfect.

This is where you lost me... It looks like you already think you made the wrong choise and try to justify it with cons. There are so many 4-4.3" devices to pick from?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
Just curious, what customizing can be done on a jb iPhone that can't be done on android?

I had iPhones for years and I found that a jb iPhone is only slightly more tweakable than stock android, jb iPhone couldn't touch rooted android, between init script, kernels, uv/oc manipulation, audio tweaks, Roms specifically cm, aosp, miui etc...

But that's my experience.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Don't bother with that clown...he showed how clueless he was with his "open source" post.

crash822

Sep 11, 2011
I don't get it when people say open source.I don't even think people get it when they say open source.

I don't think you understand what opensource means. Opensource is when a program, or in the case of android, has the source code available. This means that the actual coding itself is available for free to anyone who wants it. Opensource allows anyone to take the code and modify it however they like.

The reason people have to root and unlock bootloaders is due to the cell phone manufacturers as well as the carriers. Those carriers and mfg are the ones who will lock a bootloader or not allow root access by default usually due to a lot of people who don't know what they are doing will end up braking their phone.

I could be wrong on this but google requires that the rom that is put on the phones by the MFG to be opensource but not the documentation for the hardware. Having access to the documentation for the hardware allows developers to fully optimize and customize hardware which is the reason why people want the source code and documentation for the exynos processor.

Don't bother with that clown...he showed how clueless he was with his "open source" post.
We bother with this "clown" so that we can educate a person so that they won't be clueless

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

How exactly do I do this?

I am rooted, running Triune II right now as my ROM.

But I have no idea how to mess with kernals and "UV" settings?

There are some kernels in the original development section. Flash a kernel through recovery and wipe cache/dalvik cache when doing it. There is no need to wipe data or anything else. Make sure to make a nandroid backup before flashing a kernel or anything else that is a modification to the OS like a rom/kernel/theme/mod/etc. Uv is undervolting. I'd advise reading a lot about under volting as it can cause problems to your phone if you don't do it correctly. Try a new kernel first then if you aren't satisfied try undervolting later after doing some research. I'm using ktoonsez's kernel myself. I almost forgot but make sure you download the correct kernel version as well. If you decide to stay on Triune II then make sure you download the touchwiz or "tw" for ICS.

FYI TW kernels are for samsung based roms like triune II, AOSP kernels are for aosp based roms like CM10, aokp, miui, stuff not based on samsung firmware. Make sure you download ICS if you're using an ICS rom and the same goes for downloading the JB version if you are using a JB rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: jethro650

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Other things I like about the GS3 over the iPhone:

1) You can change keyboards, change system-wide fonts, icons, launchers, stock SMS, LED colors, and actually use different browsers without rooting.
2) +1000000 on using MP3s as ringtones
3) SmartStay should be included on all phones henceforth made (screen won't turn off if you're looking at it...thus, you can set a very short timeout)
4) The notification bar plus easy setting toggles are AMAZING
5) Bluetooth can be used to send files!!
6) NFC to use as a transit pass (one less thing to hold)
7) LTE is blazing (though, if you have a new iPhone 5, you have it now, too)

sgq

Aug 16, 2012
I was an iPhone 4 user for a couple of years. I really loved my iPhone coming from a Blackberry. However, I owed it to myself to try Android before making a decision to stay with IOS for another 3 years (3 year contact here in Canada).

Things I really like, to name a few:
Screen size
Toggles
Expandable memory
Changeable keyboard
Notification
Customization

Definitely no regrets moving to Android and getting the S3.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

A Ham Sandwich

Nov 22, 2011
I don't have an iPhone but I had an 4th Gen iPod Touch with iOS6 on it for about a week and my good friend is an Apple fanboy with a 4S, which I've used several times in his attempt to show me that it's "better." After using Android for the past 5 years I found the interface with iOS6 to be so severely limited compared to what I'm used to on my Android that I became frustrated using the devices within a few minutes. Granted I'm used to, and biased towards, Android but I found the iOS system to be far too limited in what I can customize and do on it. I need OPTIONS!!!! I need to tinker and change things to make them how *I* envision my experience on a smartphone, not the way Apple envisions it.

Oh yeah, and widgets/toggles.

crash822

Sep 11, 2011
Has anyone tried flashing android onto iphone hardware? The best of both worlds!

I could be completely wrong as I'm only guessing here but I would imagine it wouldn't work well. I'm sure someone has tried but here are several factors that would prevent it from working well. There is no documentation for the HW on the iphone available to the public making it so that it would be very difficult to get HW acceleration for anything in the OS. I'm pretty sure the cpu and hardware architecture are too different to make any kind of porting feasible.

bradgillap

Sep 26, 2012
Enjoying it

I carried a 3gs for the entire 3 year term and kept it in good shape. The battery got much weaker toward the end which was expected but changing it out was not something I was looking forward to doing. So that situation alone made me choose the S3 when my contract was up.

Thing I miss the most is probably imessage for sending photos to friends.

I rooted the s3 within a day after a ton of reading. I got the commuter case a few days later and now have buyers remorse over that purchase as the hyperion 4200 battery doesn't fit with it. There are many obvious software improvements that I really like. My girlfriend hates it so far as I try out different roms and occasionally lose features. A few weeks later I noticed all of my friends are now switching to the s3 ditching their iphones and blackberry's. I ordered a bunch of NFC tags and had a blast with that. It's a pretty solid gadget and I hope it lasts out to the end of my contract like my 3gs did.

I have kind of hit a wall now with it. Ive done just about everything I can find on xda to try with it and settled into a set of apps and roms I like. I'm hoping at some point they add a bluetooth profile for my new car deck to show song info. It's a DEH series pioneer which is working to play music and take phone calls for now.

pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Android+Compatibility

I picked up my 3gs the other day and it felt like a childs toy in comparison.

wataytay69

Sep 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
New to android here. I had several iPhones over the past 4 years. I've had a few complaints about Android thus far. But absolutely without a doubt best feature yet is no iTunes!!! I hated having to have my library scattered across multiple computers in order to be able to sync. I also hated that they shoved updates down your throat.

Main reason I decided to leave ios was because the jailbreaks aren't coming along any more either. There still isn't even an untethered jailbreak for the 4s let alone the 5.

Good riddance ios!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Aug 28, 2012
my favourite is the auto pick up when someone calls,it automatically answers if put up to the ear. Absolutely awomse and incredibly useful

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
    you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
    Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Root makes everything better. ;)

Seriously. :D
    I had an iPhone since 2007. In the beginning, and up until recently they were amazing. I feel like every iteration since the iPhone 4 has gotten less and less innovative. The S3 has some amazing features and the fact that you can tweak it in every direction is pretty great. Android was new and weird at first coming from iOS but now that I'm more comfortable, its amazing.
    My favorite features of the S3 over iPhone 5:

Larger Screen:

This is a nice feature compared to the tiny iPhone 5 screen. This was one of the main reasons why I made the switch.

Colored LED Notifications:

This is a nice feature which doesn't exist on the iPhone 5. With the ability to customize the colors for of the different app notifications is a treat.

Removable Back Cover:

How nice it is to be able to swap/replace the battery with ease compared to the iPhone 5. Not to mention the difference in price replacing the back cover on each device.

Micro-USB vs. Apple proprietary cable:

Nuff said.

I could go on and on and on but since this is my first post on this forum, I will keep it short and sweet. ;)

-slimshotty