[App][Source][1/10] - AOSP Browser freshly compiled from source with Adobe flash!

Search This thread

MR H3LLMAN

Feb 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yea. If the install program ran and looked like it was working, but at the end only said something like "not installed", then it's very likely you forgot that your signature does not match the installed apk's signature and that you need to uninstall existing applications before installing applications with different signatures.

Frank

Hmmmm would this still be true for the version that I compiled myself straight from source? Also, I didn't have the original browser installed at all. I can see why it would be an issue if I used the reverse engineered one I did but that's not the case. How would I go about changing the signature on a freshly compiled version of the browser?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
Hmmmm would this still be true for the version that I compiled myself straight from source?
Yes.

Also, I didn't have the original browser installed at all.
Then my guess was bad. The first place to look for problems when you successfully built a package from existing code is the manifest.

I can see why it would be an issue if I used the reverse engineered one I did but that's not the case.
If you mean that smali decompiler then the signature issue would be no different.

How would I go about changing the signature on a freshly compiled version of the browser?
This might be the problem -- an unsigned package. A signature is the same thing applied to recovery flashed archives, when they're done properly. The compiler should have information on how to sign a package. Eclipse has it built in, smali you must do manually, ant is manual but can be automated. They might apply a self-made debug signature to the apk and that's good enough for here, but normally you would create your own signature.

Frank

Reactions: MR H3LLMAN

MR H3LLMAN

Feb 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yes.

Then my guess was bad. The first place to look for problems when you successfully built a package from existing code is the manifest.

If you mean that smali decompiler then the signature issue would be no different.

This might be the problem -- an unsigned package. A signature is the same thing applied to recovery flashed archives, when they're done properly. The compiler should have information on how to sign a package. Eclipse has it built in, smali you must do manually, ant is manual but can be automated. They might apply a self-made debug signature to the apk and that's good enough for here, but normally you would create your own signature.

Frank

Dude, thank you. Seriously, thank you for that explanation. I actually knew about signatures in Eclipse and such but didn't even think about it. Going to try to move a copy of my code over to my Windows box and compile it in either Eclipse or Android Studio. I never had a great grasp on signatures but it all just clicked. Will keep you updated!

Reactions: Frank Westlake

grandzu

Oct 20, 2009
NYC
The copy paste doesn't work with the play store AOSP browser. When trying to copy toast notification says clipboard history has been cleared instead of copying.

Sent from my SM-N900V

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Someone asked me to share this for the Note 3 Peeps...

I compiled the AOSP browser for 4.3.

I added Adobe Flash.

I put it in a flashable zip.

I made it for you...

Note 1: There are a couple string errors that are not a huge deal. The most notable is the "Search this page" says something like "Company info." Strange but it doesnt impact the functionality of the browser. I'll try to recompile it for the Nexus 4 and see if that makes a difference. This was compiled as a Nexus 10 base.

Note 2: Always make back up before you flash!!!

Eitherway...

Enjoy!

attachment.php

DOWNLOAD: AOSP Browser for Note 3.zip - 11.04 MB

:)

Hit the Thanks button.
    It will make you feel good inside!

If your a ROM / Mod dev and want to use this in your own creation feel free to.
    Renamed BrowserProviderProxy to .bak fixed it for me!

Thanks Scott!

SPen'd from my Galaxy Note 3

Ok, uploaded a new version that deletes the file automagically!
    I apologize too, it's just the way I write; and I usually read faster than I should be so I mis-read a lot.

Frank

SGH-I717(AoCP6.4), SM-N900V/MI9(dlV), XDA Premium

I do the same thing and also reply with short answers and its easy to misconcieve what someone is saying vs what they "meant"

Thats why when i read your statement it looked exactly like what i would have said if I was short on time.

Sometimes you just got to post and run...

I do a lot of posting at work (where i shouldnt be) so you will see short answers that look sarcastic or possibly lots of bad spelling and grammar...

Its not because I am rude and stupid... Well maybe stupid... But you get idea :angel:
    Scott it seemed to work on your ROM but I did not extensively test it. To have it sync bookmarks what do I need to do?

Go to google account and tick the check box.

Edit: I will ask Beans, later on tonight, if he made any mods that might interfere with the AOSP Browser.

Also check to see if BrowserProviderProxy.apk is present and try deleting it. Sometimes that can stop the browser from loading. However its present on my ROM and hasnt caused an issue for me but I have seen that cause issues in the past.