[NIGHTLY][ROM][4.0.4][IMM76I] CyanogenMod 9 for Samsung Captivate

Search This thread

bsieron

Dec 16, 2007
hi everyone,
i have updated from CM7 (using the method shown in the first post) but unfortunatelly i have encountered a problem. an update went smoothly but after the phone started i keep getting an error "android.process.media has forced to close" and that the clock was forced to stop as well.
i searched on forums for solutions but most of them tell to navigate to some folders. problem is i can't do that. in application list i don't have any flie manager and whenever i try to download something from google play the "android.process.media..." error closes the google play.
is there a solution to this issue ?

The_Wolf91

Feb 15, 2012
If you're having these types of issues across all different types of ROMs, including stock ROMs, it may be a hardware related issue. More specifically it sounds like it could be faulty RAM.

Hardware malfunctions generally occur if/when the device gets too hot or wet. Many times people make the mistake of leaving their device sitting in the sun for long periods of time. This can cause damage to the screen as well as internal components. Coupled with even a thin rubber skin/case around the device the damage can occur relatively quick when left sitting in direct sunlight. There are obviously many other ways the device can get too hot and many ways it can get wet. A less obvious way these devices get damaged by moisture that most people may not consider is by bringing it into the bathroom while taking a steaming hot shower. In each case the damage done can/will be slightly different, if at all.

I'm not saying this is most certainly the problem, only that I noticed no matter what version of the ROM you're on, you always seem to have the same issues and that this is usually the case when a hardware defect is the culprit.

I've been wrong before. :)

Just food for thought...

Thanks for the answer, but I don't understand why on ICSSGS and all builds before the release of the first Nightly (including the first nightly) worked without any reboots??

scidon37

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the answer, but I don't understand why on ICSSGS and all builds before the release of the first Nightly (including the first nightly) worked without any reboots??

Perhaps the damage occurred since flashing the first nightly. Try reflashing back to 100% stock and see if the problem persists.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

The_Wolf91

Feb 15, 2012
Perhaps the damage occurred since flashing the first nightly. Try reflashing back to 100% stock and see if the problem persists.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

The damage occured since flashing the SECOND Nightly and I already tried reflashing back to 100% and reflashing last Nightly, but the problem persists...

Minor723

Oct 5, 2010
Cleveland
I haven't. I just flash the nightly then the gapps and reboot.

From #1:
Upgrading from another CM9 (or teamhacksung) Build?
1.Do a Nandroid Backup!
2.Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
3.Optionally install the Google Addon

I didnt have to reinstall gapps. They were still there after upgrade.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Hi, so I thought I had things figured out, turns out I was wrong. When I try to flash CM via recovery I get the following message

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:Signature verification failer.

If anyone can help me out, it would be great appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1300843
I like the KJ3 version.

spotdog14

Apr 27, 2011
I have been running one of the nightly's for about 4 days now and overall I think its pretty damn good for being a nightly. Here is what I am still having problems with:

1.) Either car mode is not present or it immediately crashes upon plugging it into a car dock.
2.) GPS takes a lot of time to get a lock but I find that when it does get a lock that it is a lot more accurate than the previous GB releases.
3.) Can you make the icon dock at the bottom of the screen any small? That thing is HUGE
4.) LCD Density changer does not work, it screws everything up, any idea on this?

Minor723

Oct 5, 2010
Cleveland
How come these are called nightlies but not released nightly? I was looking in the vibrant section and they are released much more often.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

Primus76

Jan 19, 2011
Saint John
allshare replacement?

Loving CM9. Can anyone recommend a good DLNA server since I lost Allshare? Have Samsung TV's through the house and use it quite often to push videos recorded of our daughter to the family. I know there are a few out there but Allshare worked so smooth I wanted to pick your brains.

Thanks in advance!

Katze Pavilion

Dec 7, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City
Problem with update-cm-9-20120415-NIGHTLY installation. I'm in another ICS rom, in CWM, wiped all, install zip from sdcard, choice update CM9 zip file, checking and... fail (error 7) then abort installation. I've tried many times and redownloaded the rom many times too but not effect. I've not met this problem with older versions.

kevria

Feb 8, 2011
Rhode island
I am coming from Legend 3.0 and followed the instructions:
Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
Do a Nandroid backup!
WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery

but when I did the "install from zip" after doing the WIPE step, selected cm_captivatemtd_full-181.zip, my phone is now in a boot loop, shows the Cyanogen(mod) screen then clockwork recovery (I see a "no such file or directory") message for a second but thats it then reboots back to the ATT screen.

nimper

Jan 20, 2011
How come these are called nightlies but not released nightly? I was looking in the vibrant section and they are released much more often.

Nightly builds are automatically generated by the "build bot" when there are new changes that get merged into the code. If there are no new changes, then a nightly build is not generated.

Reactions: Minor723

spotdog14

Apr 27, 2011
I am coming from Legend 3.0 and followed the instructions:
Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
Do a Nandroid backup!
WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery

but when I did the "install from zip" after doing the WIPE step, selected cm_captivatemtd_full-181.zip, my phone is now in a boot loop, shows the Cyanogen(mod) screen then clockwork recovery (I see a "no such file or directory") message for a second but thats it then reboots back to the ATT screen.

I had this problem when I first flashed to CM9, I pulled the battery then went into recovery and re-flashed and it worked fine after that.

singlebeam

Oct 15, 2010
State of Jefferson
Nightly builds are automatically generated by the "build bot" when there are new changes that get merged into the code. If there are no new changes, then a nightly build is not generated.

At this point it looks as though only the device developers (pawitp in our case) are initiating the "nightly" builds. I believe the newly acquired server is not yet configured to automatically build each device every day.

I'm guessing that when everything is smoothed over with the new server that it will produce nightly builds every day whether or not any new patches have been merged. That is how it was for CM7 at least.

J0ESK0

Jul 21, 2011
Chicago
www.twitter.com
I have been running one of the nightly's for about 4 days now and overall I think its pretty damn good for being a nightly. Here is what I am still having problems with:

1.) Either car mode is not present or it immediately crashes upon plugging it into a car dock.
2.) GPS takes a lot of time to get a lock but I find that when it does get a lock that it is a lot more accurate than the previous GB releases.
3.) Can you make the icon dock at the bottom of the screen any small? That thing is HUGE
4.) LCD Density changer does not work, it screws everything up, any idea on this?

3. This is part of the launcher, Trebuchet. If you don't like the size of the icons try a different home launcher. May I suggest Nova Launcher. You can edit the size of almost everything, including icons in the Prime version.

4. Try editing the build.prop file in system manually. I just tried doing that, changed it to 200 and the only thing that looked wonky was the little circle in the notification pulldown bar was off-centered.

Problem with update-cm-9-20120415-NIGHTLY installation. I'm in another ICS rom, in CWM, wiped all, install zip from sdcard, choice update CM9 zip file, checking and... fail (error 7) then abort installation. I've tried many times and redownloaded the rom many times too but not effect. I've not met this problem with older versions.

This is most likely because you are on a rom coded for I9000. CM's installation script will not allow you to flash a captivate rom on a phone that says its a I9000 (even though it isn't, it's coded as it is).

All you need to do is flash a captivate specific kernel, like Glitch's kernel. Then reboot recovery. Then flash CM9 and Gapps as per usual.

Reactions: Katze Pavilion

kevria

Feb 8, 2011
Rhode island
I had this problem when I first flashed to CM9, I pulled the battery then went into recovery and re-flashed and it worked fine after that.

Oh, I hadnt tried that (and probably should have). I just reflashed to stock using atomicfusion and was going to try again in a few minutes once I had a full installer for Legend 3.7 on my phone.

Edit: That worked but its showing Cynogen 7, not 9

Edit2: I grabbed the wrong file, what I thought was a full cynogen 9 was actually cynogen 7 and the files marked "update" were actually full installs of 9. All set now.

Last edited:

nimper

Jan 20, 2011
At this point it looks as though only the device developers (pawitp in our case) are initiating the "nightly" builds. I believe the newly acquired server is not yet configured to automatically build each device every day.

I'm guessing that when everything is smoothed over with the new server that it will produce nightly builds every day whether or not any new patches have been merged. That is how it was for CM7 at least.

Fair enough, the point was that it's not a "there will be a build every night no matter what" situation right now.

airtower

Sep 9, 2010
Arlington, TX
Google Pixel 6

I have absolutely nothing to support this, but it seems they're still ironing bugs out of their shiny new build boxes. Changes are definitely getting merged, so that's not the issue. get.cm even showed queued builds the other day (that were still technically a day or two behind).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What are Nightly builds? Auto compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. This version change each night and aren't officialy supported. If you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here (do not submit nightlies bug on CyanogenMod issue tracker).

Downloads

Latest nightly: http://get.cm/?device=captivatemtd
    Google Apps: http://goo-inside.me/gapps/

Installation

- First time flashing ICS to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?
    1. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    2. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon
    7. WIPE again or Calendar Sync will not work.
    - Upgrading from CM7?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    3. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from another CM9 (or teamhacksung) Build?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    3. Optionally install the Google Addon
    Note: The upgrade process from CM7 to ICS is automatic, but downgrading from ICS to CM7 (or restoring Nandroid) requires flashing twice. Once from ICS and again from CM7's recovery.

FAQ (Read here for Change log!)

The FAQ is available on Teamhacksung's Wiki. Please read before asking any questions and please feel free to edit it.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/Experimental:GT-I9000:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Known Issues

Please check the list of known issues before reporting bugs.

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.php/Experimental:GT-I9000:Known_issues

Reporting Bugs

You are allowed to report bugs only in this thread. Before reporting a bug, please make sure you are running as stock as possible. This means no custom kernel, no custom framework modification, etc. If you are using any of the above modifications, please flash the rom again to get rid of the modifications before reporting.

• Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. The following is a useful format to follow.

Code:
    What is your--
    Phone model:
    Radio (baseband):
    CM version:
    CM Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    CMSettings/Performance settings (other than stock):
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    New Nightly (update-cm-9-20120423): http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=nightly&device=captivatemtd

New Gapps (gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip): http://goo.im/gapps/
    I understand this is a nightly thread. I was unable to find a stable release anywhere and figured I'd ask here as this is the only CM9 thread that I found for the Captivate.

No wonder people keep telling me XDA is going downhill. Everyone here seems to get all butthurt when someone asks a question.

People get butthurt because there's two type of people in each thread. There's people that effectively read every post and come in several times a day, and there's people that just drop in and post. You fall into the second group. The first group spends so much of their resources keeping up to date on the bleeding edge that they feel offended someone like you should come in and get an answer so easily. So to make up for it they take the time and effort to post something demeaning just to assert their greater intelligence on the subject, as opposed to a simple "No" in your case. The relationship between the complexity of the question is inversely proportional to the magnitude of the outlash against you. You could have come in and asked about in-call reboots and probably gotten a straight answer (or "logcat or gtfo" if you're lucky, ya hooked a dev!), but since you asked about a stable release (which to my knowledge there are no stable CM9 builds for any device, but I know nothing outside of the devices I personally own) you got the big stick.

.....and my 5/10 flash is complete so back to regularly scheduled programming

By the way, unless your girlfriend is 84 years old, she can probably live with CM9 the way it is in the nightly builds
    pawitp,

I understand the importance of following the standard method used on other Cyanogenmod devices, but I am curious how this compares to devices with no external sdcard option (such as the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus)? Do these devices also have the internal sdcard mounted to /mnt/emmc and nothing mounted to /mnt/sdcard? While I realize that you made the change to follow a standard used by other devices, how does it make any sense to tell people that the internal card is mounted as "external multimedia card" (emmc)?

I think it makes much more sense for the entire CM team to revisit how sdcards (internal and external) are named and mounted to come up with something that makes more sense for every device rather than being arbitrarily based on a standard that was in place since the G1 and other devices that did not have an internal SD card. The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus should be the references, especially in CM9, not old devices that will never even run CM9.

Oops, I forgot this is the Captivate thread. Read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25200728#post25200728.

And eMMC stands for embedded MMC not external MMC.
    The download link in the first post is wrong. That link is for the international Galaxy S. Here is the link for the Captivate.

http://get.cm/?device=captivatemtd

Fixed. Too much copy pasting :p