how to get rid of google now bar on home screen

Search This thread

quachhong

Feb 24, 2012
how do i get rid of google now bar fixed on home screen of my n5 to get more space? some forums said to turn off the google now in the setting, but my setting is already swithed off, and i can't switch on, any idea on this issue is appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
how do i get rid of google now bar fixed on home screen of my n5 to get more space? some forums said to turn off the google now in the setting, but my setting is already swithed off, and i can't switch on, any idea on this issue is appreciated.

Get Xposed XGels Module. You can get rid of that and get tons of user options like on Nova, etc.

Reactions: quachhong

quachhong

Feb 24, 2012
i used to use it but i don't like it other launchers, too much settings and complicated...

jj14

Mar 5, 2008
it is risky to use xposed!?

If you follow the instructions, it is fairly straightforward.
Are you already rooted? (if not, you will need to root, and unlocking the bootloader as part of the rooting process will wipe your phone clean). Once you are rooted, perform a nandroid backup (you should do that before any changes to the system files anyway)

If your phone is running stock, xposed is fairly low risk (I'd like to say "0 risk", but that is never true). If you are on a custom ROM, xposed may not be compatible.

quachhong

Feb 24, 2012
Are you already rooted? (if not, you will need to root, and unlocking the bootloader as part of the rooting process will wipe your phone clean). Once you are rooted, perform a nandroid backup (you should do that before any changes to the system files anyway)

If your phone is running stock, xposed is fairly low risk (I'd like to say "0 risk", but that is never true). If you are on a custom ROM, xposed may not be compatible.

Thanks, I have done it. will it still get OTA?

jj14

Mar 5, 2008

Any change to the stock system files will prevent OTA. That includes removing system apks, editing/deleting system files . XPosed replaces a system file, so yes, that will prevent OTAs. BUT, the good thing is that it is easy to revert back. Remember to NOT uninstall the XPosed app. Instead, go into the XPosed installer, and use the option there to uninstall. That will restore the original system file, and you can then download the OTA.zip and flash it in custom recovery.

Thanks everyone, i have done it.

Now that you have installed XPosed, do try out other modules too - Gravitybox is one of my favorites. But before anything else, take a nandroid backup (I hope you took a nandroid backup before installing XPosed. Copy that backup to another location (maybe your computer, or cloud storage) as well.

quachhong

Feb 24, 2012
thanks again. but will i still receive update notice through the ota. i found a pronlem with this app, it turn off wifi and data when the screen off, maybe for save bat purpose, but that makes me lose instant emails and messages, any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i used to use it but i don't like it other launchers, too much settings and complicated...

If you want to get it removed you will have to use xposed or use other launchers... No other way...

Get Xposed XGels Module. You can get rid of that and get tons of user options like on Nova, etc.

No, and you will find that the GEL launcher is greatly enhanced with the xposed module. You can click on my signature "xposed framework" to take you to the xposed thread.

Any change to the stock system files will prevent OTA. That includes removing system apks, editing/deleting system files . XPosed replaces a system file, so yes, that will prevent OTAs. BUT, the good thing is that it is easy to revert back. Remember to NOT uninstall the XPosed app. Instead, go into the XPosed installer, and use the option there to uninstall. That will restore the original system file, and you can then download the OTA.zip and flash it in custom recovery.

Thanks everyone, i have done it.

Now that you have installed XPosed, do try out other modules too - Gravitybox is one of my favorites. But before anything else, take a nandroid backup (I hope you took a nandroid backup before installing XPosed. Copy that backup to another location (maybe your computer, or cloud storage) as well.