Sleep of Death (SOD)

Search This thread

dotcompt

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2008
Porto
twitter.com
Hi guys,

There is a lot of discussion at XDA about the Sleep of Death (SOD) where some devices do not wake up from suspend mode. I still did not figure out exactly which is the cause for this "disease" and I am sure there are plenty of members trying to understand this anoying issue.

I have read lots of complaints with cooked Roms but I also read a few posts from guys with stock roms with the same issue.

There are some opinions that using MTTY or Task 29 will solve SOD but unfortunatly there are still some members not so lucky and still have SOD.

Personally I dont have SOD in my device but there are some members using my cooked Rom and others that have experienced several times the Sleep of Death.

So, share your experience here, what do you think about SOD? what is causing this? How to solve this?

. Is it Windows Mobile leaked releases not dumped properly?
. Is it a Manila issue?
. Is it caused by 3rd party apps or Mods?
. Is it caused by several cooked Roms flashed on top of each other?
. Is it caused by damaged SDCards?
. Is it radio Version?
. Operator network?
. Or like someone said in my thread:
"SOD: Septo-optic dysplasia (SOD) is a rare disorder characterized by abnormal development of the optic disk, pituitary deficiencies, and often agenesis (absence) of the septum pellucidum (the part of the brain that separates the anterior horns or the lateral ventricles of the brain)." :D

What do you think?

Last edited:

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
Hi guys,

There is a lot of discussion at XDA about the Sleep of Death (SOD) where some devices do not wake up from suspend mode. I still did not figure out exactly which is the cause for this "disease" and I am sure there are plenty of members trying to understand this anoying issue.

I have read lots of complaints with cooked Roms but I also read a few posts from guys with stock roms with the same issue.

There are some opinions that using MTTY or Task 29 will solve SOD but unfortunatly there are still some members not so lucky and still have SOD.

Personally I dont have SOD in my device but there are some members using my cooked Rom and others that have experienced several times the Sleep of Death.

So, share your experience here, what do you think about SOD? what is causing this? How to solve this?

. Is it Windows Mobile leaked releases not dumped properly?
. Is it a Manila issue?
. Is it caused by 3rd party apps or Mods?
. Is it caused by several cooked Roms flashed on top of each other?
. Is it caused by damaged SDCards?
. Or like someone said in my thread:
"SOD: Septo-optic dysplasia (SOD) is a rare disorder characterized by abnormal development of the optic disk, pituitary deficiencies, and often agenesis (absence) of the septum pellucidum (the part of the brain that separates the anterior horns or the lateral ventricles of the brain)." :D

What do you think?

I have ORD for what is worth :D....

In all seriousness, we have had that happening in a few roms in the Blue Angel and truth be told, it goes away and comes back (which points me in the direction that it is not hardware). In our case, the most common occurrence of this was when Wifi is on and the device goes to sleep, the BA starts behaving in a weird fashion. It might wake up with lots of stability issues (and sometimes will not wake up at all). It could be that there is some sort of conflict with the radio, but that is just a theory...

rgb-rgb

Feb 18, 2007
Texas
I don't think it has anything to do with Manila, I didn't have it in my custom ROM's but still had SOD.

Seems completly random. I can go for days without having it.

Laurentius26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 22, 2005
Indeed I also don't think it has anything todo with Manila.

I've had it once using 21893 build long time ago, but untill today I didn't face it anymore.

Also no reports by my beta team or in rom thread.

Currently we are trying:

Oemdrivers are Leo 1.72/2.10 base.

Radio's I use are Leo 2.09.51.03_2 and the radio from Leo T-Mob 2.10 to enable 576mb ram on Leo.

It must be build related, maybe build/radio combination no idea actualy.

I don't think it has anything to do with Manila, I didn't have it in my custom ROM's but still had SOD.

Seems completly random. I can go for days without having it.

Last edited:

twopumpchump

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
its the way the files are dumped, if you use properly dumped flash.dio or .nb you wont have the problem...at least i dont. i learned my lesson the hard way with 23008, i think it was the first build that did that and i had all kinds of people with SOD. from then on i always dump the files myself or get them from Da_G and all is well :)

rgb-rgb

Feb 18, 2007
Texas
its the way the files are dumped, if you use properly dumped flash.dio or .nb you wont have the problem...at least i dont. i learned my lesson the hard way with 23008, i think it was the first build that did that and i had all kinds of people with SOD. from then on i always dump the files myself or get them from Da_G and all is well :)

Unfortunately, I have had the SOD from both Da_G's files and the Flash.dio posted on HTCpedia. I dumped the flash.dio with xidump_v1.0_beta but maybe there is a newer version or something else that I should be using?

twopumpchump

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Unfortunately, I have had the SOD from both Da_G's files and the Flash.dio posted on HTCpedia. I dumped the flash.dio with xidump_v1.0_beta but maybe there is a newer version or something else that I should be using?

what build are you using? maybe its one i have here i will zip it and upload for you to try.

twopumpchump

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
give this a try, never know it may work :) i released a rom on saturday and havent had any SOD reports or had it myself. i already replaced gwes.exe with one from 23551, so just use the files as they are everything should work...let me know how it turns out.

23554 WVGA 0409

rgb-rgb

Feb 18, 2007
Texas
Interesting, using Beyond Compare the only real difference I see is in the S000 file of the Shell32.exe module. See screenshot. Capture1 is from your files and capture2 is from my files. Just 2 small difference, but I don't know why.

Other thing I notice it the MSXIPKernelLTK. Do you use that? I have never used it as I thought it was something that was to do with ROM image update that was never implemented. Does it go in the same directory as MSXIPKernel does in the ROM folder for EVK?

ROM
.....Shared
...........MSXIPKernel
...........MSXIPKernelLTK

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

mwalt2

Feb 22, 2009
Interesting, using Beyond Compare the only real difference I see is in the S000 file of the Shell32.exe module. See screenshot. Capture1 is from your files and capture2 is from my files. Just 2 small difference, but I don't know why.

Other thing I notice it the MSXIPKernelLTK. Do you use that? I have never used it as I thought it was something that was to do with ROM image update that was never implemented. Does it go in the same directory as MSXIPKernel does in the ROM folder for EVK?

ROM
.....Shared
...........MSXIPKernel
...........MSXIPKernelLTK
Is one version time-bomb patched and the other isn't? s000 in shell32.exe is what get's patched for time-bomb.

aruppenthal

Dec 9, 2006
Parkersburg

For the most part, from what ive found. your spot on. When the files are dumped improperly the modules are all at the same address in the text files. If dumped from the dio they are not. Im not really sure why this matters as I was always under the impression that EVK compensated for that and relocated everything to where it needed to be. I do know that every rom Ive had SOD on showed the modules all at the same address.

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
Wow cool find, so actualy there's a huge memory hog on one of the slots causing out of memory issues isn't?

For the most part, from what ive found. your spot on. When the files are dumped improperly the modules are all at the same address in the text files. If dumped from the dio they are not. Im not really sure why this matters as I was always under the impression that EVK compensated for that and relocated everything to where it needed to be. I do know that every rom Ive had SOD on showed the modules all at the same address.

totalcmdext

Feb 7, 2006
Nokia 8.3 5G

I am using the EVK in order to cook my ROMs and i have a some cooks with SOD problem.
You mention that the " SOD on showed the modules all at the same address" where this file is stored when cook the ROM in order to check it before flash it?

eras2r

Oct 8, 2007
Chicagoland
Something interesting on this topic from my ROM thread. It looks as though users of my ROM are getting the SOD when the are traveling. I have not gotten this as of yet, but I dont really venture too far from home. But several users have stated that they never got the SOD until they drove ~45mins from home.

If the culprit module does have something to do with location, I wonder what it could be. Google Location service does not have any modules in the package. Manila has several. I also set the clock off of the cell tower. No clue where to start on this one... just wondering if any other chefs have seen something similar.

B4PJS

May 29, 2007
London
Something interesting on this topic from my ROM thread. It looks as though users of my ROM are getting the SOD when the are traveling. I have not gotten this as of yet, but I dont really venture too far from home. But several users have stated that they never got the SOD until they drove ~45mins from home.

If the culprit module does have something to do with location, I wonder what it could be. Google Location service does not have any modules in the package. Manila has several. I also set the clock off of the cell tower. No clue where to start on this one... just wondering if any other chefs have seen something similar.
I havent seen that one and I commute between Reading and London every day

mnet

Jun 17, 2009
there are 2 kinds of SOD people are having:

the first is SYS SOD. this is related to build and/or source. the device completely fails to wake up after sleep (screen remains off)

the second is SOD due to manila 2.5 on some devices. the device does wake up, but the screen remains blank and the backlight is turned on. see this thread for more details about this, inc. a solution

personally, regarding SYS SOD, i have been having it very often on some builds like 21897, even when dumping from dio. BUT i have been using 21898 (from rollup) for several weeks now and never had SOD. i think this is related to the build not just the module addresses.