Vibrate rattle.

Search This thread

Nissan350

Aug 11, 2010
Crystal, MN
Hey guys! Just picked up my 900 today and I must admit, I'm loving it so far. Now, I know most of us have the scrolling lag (compared to the DVP or HD7) but does anyone have the vibration rattle? Anytime my phone vibrates, it rattles for the first part of the vibrate duration then stops. When vibration resumes, the rattle is there again but only for a brief moment. It's as if it rattles only when the motor first takes off. Not a really huge deal but it does get somewhat annoying at times... I've tried to take out he micro SIM tray because I thought this was the cause, but it isn't.

wspaw

Apr 17, 2008
Austin
It's normal

Hey guys! Just picked up my 900 today and I must admit, I'm loving it so far. Now, I know most of us have the scrolling lag (compared to the DVP or HD7) but does anyone have the vibration rattle? Anytime my phone vibrates, it rattles for the first part of the vibrate duration then stops. When vibration resumes, the rattle is there again but only for a brief moment. It's as if it rattles only when the motor first takes off. Not a really huge deal but it does get somewhat annoying at times... I've tried to take out he micro SIM tray because I thought this was the cause, but it isn't.

I think it's the camera button. Mine is loose and I can shake the phone close to me ear and hear it rattle. I took it into the AT&T store and all of them (display and employee phones) do it.

Nissan350

Aug 11, 2010
Crystal, MN
I think it's the camera button. Mine is loose and I can shake the phone close to me ear and hear it rattle. I took it into the AT&T store and all of them (display and employee phones) do it.

Definitely not the camera button for me. I downloaded a vibration app that allows you to access the vibration at the touch of a button and secured all buttons by putting my hand over them... it still rattled. My best guess would be a faulty motor or something very close to the motors location inside the phone. I will justify it by calling it a feature. Lol.

kh0annguyen

Jan 18, 2011
Seattle
It's the camera

I'm pretty sure it's the camera lens rattling. It's not a feature, more of a design oversight. It's very annoying. But that's how all Lumia 900s are so I suppose you could say it's "normal" behavior.

Edit: BTW I forgot to mention that I exchanged my phone once thinking I just got a faulty phone but the replacement does the same.

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Ditto. I wondered if someone would be posting about it.

The phone is two awesome for me to worry about it though ;)

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo

Dude, you just made me look stupid. Read your post and I started shaking my phone. My Boss walks in and asks....you ok?? Geessshhh......just what I needed, got caught on xda shaking my phone. :eek:

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
Same here, but I can hear something rattling back and forth if I shake it. I have to hold the phone close to my ear while shaking to really hear it though.

As long as it doesn't mean something will break, I'm fine with it.

kalep

Apr 2, 2007
Yes, I can confirm that my new Lumia 900 does exactly the same horrible rattling :( For what is worth, I think is much less noticeable if you use the Gel Case which I got for free from my AT&T store:

www[dot]wireless[dot]att[dot]com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku5870251#

(Copy and Paste the Link and modify it because forum won't allow me to make it URL)

Regards

Last edited:

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009

I sent myself an email to get a vibration, while holding all buttons stationary. The buzz, although lessened, is still evident. So it's something else.

I really do prefer the vibration from my Focus over the Lumia.

Nissan350

Aug 11, 2010
Crystal, MN
Ditto. I wondered if someone would be posting about it.

The phone is two awesome for me to worry about it though ;)

Exactly how i felt. Until i got like 5 texts in a row lmao. Guess ill just have to get use to it cause theres no way im returning this phone!

Dude, you just made me look stupid. Read your post and I started shaking my phone. My Boss walks in and asks....you ok?? Geessshhh......just what I needed, got caught on xda shaking my phone. :eek:

LMFAO! The funniest mental image just popped up in my head haha!

Does it sound like this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446018

i have to turn the vibration completely off on my amaze :mad: its rather annoying

The video is private. It wont let me access it :/

Yes, I can confirm that my new Lumia 900 does exactly the same horrible rattling :( For what is worth, I think is much less noticeable if you use the Gel Case which I got for free from my AT&T store:

www[dot]wireless[dot]att[dot]com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku5870251#

(Copy and Paste the Link and modify it because forum won't allow me to make it URL)

Regards

I have the Black GEL TPU case sold at At&t that covers the entire phone like a glove. Vibration is still evident.

For all those that are trying to simulate vibration, go into the market and download "Vibemassage + Sound"

Once you start it up, pivot over to options and disable the "enable sound" slider then hit the main switch. If your phone is like mine, you'll notice that it rattles only when the vibrations starts.

Also, if you turn the phone around and hold it up to your ear and tap to the left of the camera, you will hear the rattle.

mluddyjr

Sep 7, 2011
Fuquay-Varina
Mine rattles when vibrating too. It's fairly loud and sounds cheap. It seems out of place on a device that otherwise feels solid and premium.

I grabbed an app (vibeMassage + Sound) to test the vibration and experimented with holding each of the buttons and removing the sim card. The rattle isn't coming from anything on the outside of the device, so something internally must be loose.

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
It honestly sounds like its coming from the headphone jack, when i squeeze that area it gets less noticeable

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nokia are pretty good at fixing hardware issues.. someone should bug them on their NokiaUSA fb page and also their twitter account. If they get enough complaints, hopefully they will do something about it.

Also, start a thread here:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/bd-p/Nokia_with_Windows_Phone
    Here's a long overdue follow up.

I finally cracked open my Lumia 900 after breaking the screen and needing to replace it. I had nothing to lose since AT&T wouldn't cover the phone's screen and insurance deductible was the same price as the part...anyhow...

The rattle is 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt and with 6sigma certainty coming from the vibrator mechanism soldered to the main board. This mechanism sits directly to the side of the camera mechanism.

With the phone 100% disassembled, I was able to manipulate the parts in my fingers and test each and every parts the culprit. It is the vibrator motor and it cannot be fixed without extreme measures, like desoldering it from the board for inspection.

The cause is as simple as a crappy part Nokia OEMed from someone else.

BTW...totally different mechanism from the 800. After having been inside both, its pretty clear to me the 800 is a MUCH higher overall quality device than the 900. If the 800 had LTE and FF cam, it would kill the 900.

Anyway...bottom line: if your phone rattles, it is not user serviceable. Take it back.

If anyone wants pics, lemme know and I'll post them.