[ROM] Alien ICS ★ Build #8 ★ The train won't stop going -- No way to slow down ★ 5/18

Search This thread

BaconStep

Jan 31, 2012
Las Vegas
Loving this rom! I really like the gb one too! Only thing that's missing in my book is some sick green wallpapers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

thangnga

Aug 5, 2008
This is the best of rom I ever use! Thank U so much! It very stable, good battery life! Good signal!! Thank!!

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
I'm getting an update aborted upon installation coming from alien 7. downloaded twice

Are you getting the message from the download attempt or from the ROM installing?

You shouldn't be getting a message about anything "update" related if you are using CWM to install the ROM correctly per instructions. Make sure you are chosing "install from zip" and not "update from zip" in CWM.

sgs2_1.6

Nov 24, 2011
Yes I am getting the same thing saying update aboarded bad zip. Downloaded it twice.

petrochemicals

Nov 27, 2007
@romracer

In settings/sound/volume when the ringtone volume is changed it does not "stick". It resets back to where it started every time. This is a known bug in UCLD2. Can this be fixed, have you looked into it? I have also noticed that wifi is constantly downloading even when doing nothing. I had this problem on stock UCLD2. Is there any know fix for this?

Last edited:

scoobydoobie

May 24, 2007
I saw this rom supports boot animation, does it also support boot sound? I can't get mine to play my startup sound. I put it in the /system/etc folder but it doesn't work.
I found out what I was doing wrong, it has to be named poweron.ogg instead of .wav

Last edited:

sacberg

Apr 2, 2011
Sacramento
Google Pixel 3a XL
Installed exactly as described coming from GB. Only anonymity I have come across is the the corporate policy for the screen lock is not being enforced, that may have been noted already. Some might call it a feature. I am resigned to no BLN until source so I plan to make this my daily driver if the battery life is acceptable. Buy you a beer on Friday when I get paid if I am still running it.

sulpher

Aug 2, 2008
@romracer

In settings/sound/volume when the ringtone volume is changed it does not "stick". It resets back to where it started every time. This is a known bug in UCLD2. Can this be fixed, have you looked into it? I have also noticed that wifi is constantly downloading even when doing nothing. I had this problem on stock UCLD2. Is there any know fix for this?

If you use the volume rocker on the side it sticks.. or the toggles. You really go into settings each time to change your ring volume? :cool:

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
ROM is looking pretty sweet.

I was wondering if it worked on the I727R (rogers skyrocket)?
As well , does this have BLN support, I don't know if that would be an 'extra' or a 'feature' itself, as it was not listed in the log.

Any rogers users that have or are using this ROM, let me know if there were any hangups or issues with it.

Thank you :)

oikhlail11

Jan 6, 2012
el paso texas
---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'm getting the same I can't flash over the update :( it aborts automatically when I select in cwm and when I click on it after a download it takes me to open office for some reason instead of rom manager

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'm getting the same I can't flash over the update :( it aborts automatically when I select in cwm and when I click on it after a download it takes me to open office for some reason instead of rom manager

Yes I am getting the same thing saying update aboarded bad zip. Downloaded it twice.

I'm getting an update aborted upon installation coming from alien 7. downloaded twice

Sorry about that guys. The version I uploaded was not the same as what's on my SD card.

To make up for it, I've uploaded 7.2 update. It's flashable over build 7 or 7.1. Includes AOSP lockscreen.

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
I went to McDonalds today and the AT&T hotspot (Wifi) would not connect? It gave the message "Authentication failed". I've not run into this problem before. Has anyone else been able to connect to AT&T Wifi hotspots? I'll try to check aother locations tomorrow to see if it was just that isolated location or not. Regular Wifi connections work fine and the AT&T Hotspot service is running on the phone, it just wouldn't "Authenticate".

The good news is (knock on wood), my Email (stock) program has been working fine since the trouble on the first day. I'm hoping it was just taking time to set up all the connections and will be fine from here on out (fingers crossed). Everything else, so far, is great.

Sorry, I haven't been to McDonald's in ages since they started renovating all the ones by my office. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work though, unless its a problem with UCLD2 in general. I noticed weirdness sometimes with GB even at AT&T hotspots though. A very long time ago, I worked for the company that powers those, so I wouldn't be surprised if its just flaky in some locations ;)

@romracer

Sorry, hadn't noticed. I'll see if I can look into it, but like the other guy said, do you really go into settings each time to change the ringer volume? ;)

Installed exactly as described coming from GB. Only anonymity I have come across is the the corporate policy for the screen lock is not being enforced, that may have been noted already. Some might call it a feature. I am resigned to no BLN until source so I plan to make this my daily driver if the battery life is acceptable. Buy you a beer on Friday when I get paid if I am still running it.

Bypassing Exchange policies is listed in the features... Granted, its towards the bottom of the list.

ROM is looking pretty sweet.

I was wondering if it worked on the I727R (rogers skyrocket)?
As well , does this have BLN support, I don't know if that would be an 'extra' or a 'feature' itself, as it was not listed in the log.

Any rogers users that have or are using this ROM, let me know if there were any hangups or issues with it.

Thank you :)

I don't know. I address this question in the OP in the FAQ section :) But, I believe it works fine as some people have told me unofficially. I think you'll need to add your APN though.

M0D1441

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
ATX
Love the ROM Sco..romracer! Nice and stable (I ran it for a while after I was done working on NM GB). Slight preference over mhx-ics for whatever reason, it just clicks. Thank you for the hard work.

Sent via 700MHz Radiation

M0D1441

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
ATX
And guys...if its not on the features list its probably not a feature :rolleyes:. BLN is impossible without a source at the moment, just keep that in mind. Romracer has been very good at working on kernels without a source so far.

Sent via 700MHz Radiation

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] Alien ICS ★ Build #8 ★ The train won't stop going -- No way to slow down ★ 5/18

15i82.png
    yEYxd.png
    Alien ICS provides a concocted stew of TouchWiz, and ICS for your Galaxy S II Skyrocket. Samsung's TouchWiz functionality stays intact, but Alien ICS brings a blast of speed to the experience. There are very few theme changes with this ROM.
    Official Beta Tester signature:
    HTML:
    [CENTER][URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1376482"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bfP86.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    3CUBm.png
    Code:
    - Based on AT&T UCLE2 4.0.4
    - Various memory and speed tweaks
    - Zipaligned
    - Deodexed
    - Rooted
    - Busybox installed
    - 5 icon dock enabled (4 + the app menu)
    - 5 column app drawer
    - Scrolling wallpaper!
    - CRT off animation
    - No carrier label
    - No address book sync
    - Customizable 15 toggle quick panel added
    - Build.prop optimizations for speed, power savings
    - Init.d scripts for compatible kernels (loopy smoothness, memkiller, zipalign on boot)
    - Stock-ish kernel with custom ramdisk (disables ro.secure)
    - Boot animation support!
    - Recovery, Download added to Power Options
    - Tethering enabled / entitlement check gone
    - SIP over WiFi and 3G
    - Updated applications
    - Some GApps moved to /data for more flexible management
    - Latest Superuser application and binary
    - Bloatware removed
    - Removal of HSPA+ upload limits
    - Additional Samsung applications made removable
    - Mms.apk mods: increased MMS text threshold, increased recipient limit, increased size limit
    - Email.apk/Exchange.apk mod: removed security policy restrictions
    - Removed “full battery” notification, vibration, sound, and screen wake.
    - Enabled "Stay awake" option
    - Added Internet call settings
    - Transparent lock-screen default, changeable in Settings > Display > Lock screen wallpaper
    - Additional Live Wallpapers
    - Movie Editor
    - sysro/sysrw added
    - sqlite3 binary added
    - bash and other miscellaneous binaries for the power user
    - more coming soon!
    oSAbh.png
    Alien ICS #8 (full wipe - follow instructions below)
    MD5 1930b67322b3849a1d46ca4d8ec69bd6​

0) Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM first!
    0.5) If possible, use the OneClick at least once. Some things can't reliably be accomplished in an updater-script.
    1) Flash my ICS radio if you haven't yet. Seriously, do it. (Use my CWM zip here)
    2) Wipe data/factory reset
    3) Wipe cache
    4) Install from SD card
    5) Format /cache from "mounts and storage"
    6) Reboot. First boot will take a while, be patient (5+ minutes).
    7) AT&T Ready2Go is busted this release.

0) Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM first!
    1) Apply update via CWM.
    2) Reboot.

See the changelog in post #3 for important information.

DON'T KANG MY WORK! (yes, I'm looking at you).
    8L4aY.png

kennethpenn
    Original GB author - BriefMobile
    DesignGears
    Original ICS leak
    legendk95
    15 toggle mod
    4MbRg.png

• It's not working when I install! I'm receiving force closes, sitting at bootloops, etc.
      Make sure you're installing the ROM correctly. Remember that kernels, MODs, radios, and carriers can mess with your phone's performance and workability.
    • I'm not on AT&T and this ROM is completely broken!
      This ROM is not necessarily designed for international compatibility. Please wait for future updates or attempt an install with a proper international kernel. I hear it works fine on Rogers, but you'll need to add your APN. Google for directions on how to do that.
    • Why is my device running/booting slowly?
      Your first boot will take an unimaginably long time. After that, your device will continue to run slowly until the application cache is built up. Don't worry, the speed will increase as you use the ROM!
    • Why is my battery life bad?
      Your battery life is often killed when flashing ROMs in CWM. For the best battery life, you must drain your device’s battery until it turns off. Plug the device into the AC adapter and let it charge until the image says 100% charged. Then turn it on and use the volume buttons to boot into CWM. Click Wipe Battery Stats under the advanced menu. Then you should charge to 100% and install the ROM. Battery life should be comparable to (if not better than) every other ROM.
    • Where's my bloatware?
      Alien ICS deletes unnecessary bloatware that can be replaced by better applications in the Android Market. If you'd like the bloatware back, you can download the CWM bloatware installer from here.
    • Why isn't there a battery mod?
      You can cook your own battery mod using the UOT kitchen.
    Changelog:

Alien ICS #8
    • Based on UCLE2.
    • CRT off works now (thanks Samsung).
    • Ready2Go moved to bloat - its broken this release anyway.
    • Probably other stuff I don't remember.
    Alien ICS #7.4
    • Updated Google Maps (full release only).
    • Fixed home screen folder size when opened.
    • Fixed icon placement between home screens.
    Alien ICS #7.3
    • Updated Google+ (full release only).
    • Removed AT&T Address Book Sync.
    • Removed broken Yellow Pages contact.
    Alien ICS #7.2 re-release
    • AOSP lockscreen addon available.
    • Hide IME toggle in status bar.
    • build.prop tweaks.
    • Fix Media Hub.
    Alien ICS #7.1
    • Adding scrolling wallpaper both to TW Launcher and third-party ones.
    • Fixed a small bug with enforcing copying libs (would only have affected AT&T's navigation).
    Alien ICS #7
    • Initial Alien ICS release.
    Known issues:

• The home button has a slight delay. This is common in ICS (check SGS2 for example).
    • Turning off Wi-Fi tethering will cause the Settings app to be unresponsive for a minute or so. This appears to be an issue with the Tether provisioning and does not cause any actual problem. Seems fixed in UCLE2.
    • Changing the Wi-Fi sleep policy increases battery drain. This is common across many phones and ROMs.
    • The volume slider in Settings -> Sounds does not stick. Use the rocker instead. This is a ULCD2 issue. Seems fixed in UCLE2.
    • Data may be flaky for some. It works fine for me, but buyer beware. This appears to be a UCLD2 modem issue. Another modem may help. Use my modem and this won't be a problem.
    • Email syncing may be flaky. This is an Android 4.0.3 problem. Hopefully fixed since this is AOSP 4.0.4.
    • Anything else that has been common with ICS from Odin (I really haven't noticed hardly anything to be honest).
    • Some people have noticed weirdness when coming from GB related to the Home/Search keys. This appears to be related to updating from GB only (perhaps files on the SD card). Flashing the ROM a few times and booting into it between each flash seems to clear this up. Alternately, try backing up your internal SD card to your PC and then formatting it.
    Miscellaneous:

• If you want to enable "Preferred install location" in Settings -> Applications, run the following through an ADB shell and reboot:
      Code:
      sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 'update system set value="1" where name="set_install_location";'
    Gxi6v.png
    Coming soon (its TouchWiz, what do you expect?)​
    OP updated for Alien ICS #8 - based on UCLE2.
    Hey RomRacer---Any updates planned soon? Please save us from some of these other devs that require users to format 12 times, while facing east, jumping on one leg, and chanting to the ROM gods to get their stuff to work...

I don't plan to add the SGS3 stuff, so currently I'm waiting for the ICS release (or another leak). I do plan to look at the Hercules source to see if I can use their kernel to fix the touchkey bug, but that's really the only issue I've seen with this leak.

This Rom's had me really satisfied, everything is running smoothly, but today I saw this:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27014974&postcount=1

it has an app that verifies if the kernel is unsafe because of this:
    https://plus.google.com/117962666888533781522/posts/YPDxnye6rEw

Does anyone know what to expect? what to do? Should we go back to gingerbread?

I haven't seen that app, but the post you linked refers to the only real solution from Samsung themselves, "We plan to fix it via official releases in the future." Personally, I haven't see any problems.

I'm still using this ROM and it still is working great. As mentioned before, data / signal loss is an issue that shows just every once in a while. For me, it only happens when I'm going from WiFi to tower or tower to WiFi. If I toggle the "data" botton it starts to work again quickly. But, like I said, it only happens maybe once out of 20 times or so (for me). I think it is clearly a bug of the UCLE2 leak in general.

More interesting though, is the Kernel that mohan_kr released here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1701189

I have not tested it, but he claims the source code used in this kernel has fixed the "touchkey" issue. I think he based it off of the Korean version of the phone but I wonder how difficult it would be to identify the working code in that kernel and transfer it to this one (with his permission of course). I am hoping AT&T will drop the OTA soon with these slight issues fixed so we can just flash the OTA Alien ICS build.

I will look at the Hercules source soon.