How Not To Brick Your E4GT (UPDATED 10/13/12)

Search This thread

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago
So I'd like to try AOKP. According to the links in the first post, it says I need to follow the QBKing video.

The QBKing video says you need to flash to CM7 first... is this still accurate?
I am on GB EL29 now. Rooted and using Rogue Recovery, but stock
Do I first flash CM7..
then wipe
Then Flash AOKP?

Last edited:

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
So I'd like to try AOKP. According to the links in the first post, it says I need to follow the QBKing video.

The QBKing video says you need to flash to CM7 first... is this still accurate?
I am on GB EL29 now. Rooted and using Rogue Recovery, but stock
Do I first flash CM7..
then wipe
Then Flash AOKP?

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. The reason why I had stated to install CM7 was because you need CWM to install AOSP-based roms. At the time CM7 was the easiest way to get it, Now we have the kernel floating around everywhere so you can do this (pulled directly from TCP's AOKP install instructions. I always recommend being on a GB rom before flashing to aosp just in case. I will be updating this thread soon, sorry for the lack of updates, I have been really busy ;)
-Flash EL26 stock CWM kernel via the PDA option in ODIN/Mobile ODIN
-When phone begins reboot, Hold Power + Volume up until boots into recovery.
-Wipe data/factory, cache and dalvik cache
-Flash ROM
-Flash Gapps
-Reboot

Some reports state that it may need a second flash of the rom to get it to boot. So if your initial rom flash is really quick, flash the rom a second time, right after the initial flash.

Silent B0B

May 4, 2012
Attention Kmart Shoppers!( for the older crowd )
Blue Light on my 710 , used the international bootloader
After reading this whole thread I have learned alot! So thank you xda community
I usually research,and I just gave my g/f's nook an Android OS ( which is way easier than phones) and got cocky :eek:... I jump in with both feet forward and whammo!!!! BRICK!!!! :rolleyes: Lesson learned , read read read , and when your tired or reading... read some more

**edit**
oh and use the search!!!!

**/edit**

Last edited:

Sooppex

May 22, 2011
Instead of posting a thread, i'll ask here. Either i'm blind or it's not there, but do you have to be on stock EL29 to flash to ICS (FBx,FCx,FDx). I'm looking to go to FD26 and i'm on EL29 now, but I can only assume I flashed the stock rom since I don't have something other than stock recovery. Is a different (Rouge, CWM) recovery needed on EL29 to flash ICS or can I just re-flash stock EL29 then flash sfhub's FD26?

I've been able to do GB flashes without a problem, but this whole hard bricking your phone has made me wait like 3-4 months. I'm done waiting.

Thanks in advance.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
If you use the Full ODIN OneClick FD26 flash, it doesn't care what you are currently on or what you have installed. It will just overwrite everything.

If you use the NoData ODIN OneClick, usually upgrades work, but if not (boot loop or lots of FCs), install the Full version or do a factory reset.

Quincy_adams

Mar 16, 2011
Baltimore
Caulklin E4GT 2 series v1.5 ICS

Does anyone know if I can use CWM to load this rom? Thanks. Don't know the proper forum to ask the question so please be nice and point me to the right forum :)

jamice4u

Instead of going into cwm my phone says firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. Help my phone can get into download mode but it fails when I try in install a rom or cwm. I think I messed up the phone's cwm. I basically tried to flash EL26 stock kernel with odin 1.85 for FE07.

Kebetz

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
Instead of going into cwm my phone says firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.

Have you resolved this or is it off to the graveyard?

Can you still boot to download mode?

What ROM were you coming from?

This may be the same horrible thing that everybody has warned you about, happened to me a few weeks ago...but I had been silly and tortured that poor phone..

Last edited:

acerti0519

Feb 14, 2012
CM9 and Clockwork Recovery Issue.

Hello, I'm new to the Epic Touch and flashed CM9 and I keep loosing the clockwork recovery. I use the GB rooted odin image to restore back to and then
flash the cm recovery and flash the rom I want. Now my question is can I just flash back cwm recovery while on cm9 without bricking my device. And is team win recovery stable enough yet.

watchout5

Dec 9, 2011
Hello, I'm new to the Epic Touch and flashed CM9 and I keep loosing the clockwork recovery. I use the GB rooted odin image to restore back to and then
flash the cm recovery and flash the rom I want. Now my question is can I just flash back cwm recovery while on cm9 without bricking my device. And is team win recovery stable enough yet.

The way I understood CM9 when I used it in alpha 3 there was no CWM recovery, just stock, I don't think alpha4 added a custom recovery. Currently there are some issues where if you use Factory Wipe data from a ICS recovery it will completely brick your phone, it's not 100%, we really don't know all the specifics, but since the beginning of CM9 they didn't include a custom recovery for this reason. Some people have had luck using odin to flash a custom recovery on it however I'd advise against it. If you really want CM9 to have a custom recovery look to see if other people have had better success with. Personally I went to Blu FE10 ROM because there are a lot more kernals other people have tested as working but I'm still rocking the FD26 rogue kernal that may be your best bet for a custom recovery.

ih8aol

May 10, 2008
Cloquet
Blazer released his Alpha ICS ROM for VIPs so I went ahead and tried it. I made a Nandroid for GB just in case something messed up. The instructions said flash CWM Touch after flashing ICS so that's what I did. Everything worked for like the first 20 minutes... I was having fun with Face Unlock and everything. But then all of a sudden I was locked out of my phone - the Face Unlock prompt wouldn't even show and it would say my PIN was incorrect. So I naturally freaked out and tried to restore GB...and yeah you know the rest. It got stuck so like 30 minutes later I pulled the battery. I tried Odining back to EL29 but then I would get stuck at Data.img.

I really really want to try an ICS ROM but now I'm nervous that I'll brick again :/

From what I have read in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1644364 , two things were probably responsible for your brick. The CWM touch and restoring a GB from ICS.
I guess you could say "Double Whammy!"

Last edited:

Kebetz

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
The way I understood CM9 when I used it in alpha 3 there was no CWM recovery, just stock, I don't think alpha4 added a custom recovery. Currently there are some issues where if you use Factory Wipe data from a ICS recovery it will completely brick your phone, it's not 100%, we really don't know all the specifics, but since the beginning of CM9 they didn't include a custom recovery for this reason. Some people have had luck using odin to flash a custom recovery on it however I'd advise against it. If you really want CM9 to have a custom recovery look to see if other people have had better success with. Personally I went to Blu FE10 ROM because there are a lot more kernals other people have tested as working but I'm still rocking the FD26 rogue kernal that may be your best bet for a custom recovery.

From what I have read in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1644364 , two things were probably responsible for your brick. The CWM touch and restoring a GB from ICS.
I guess you could say "Double Whammy!"

My hard brick was neither touch recovery or a cross-compatible restore.
Simply factory resetting on ICS with an ICS based kernel's recovery while getting ready for a fresh install.
People have let their guard down as far as custom recovery goes as long as you aren't using it for anything that touches partitions.
I personally would recommend playing it safe and handling all of your flashing/backup/restoring through EL26, as suggested almost everywhere.

ih8aol

May 10, 2008
Cloquet
My hard brick was neither touch recovery or a cross-compatible restore.
Simply factory resetting on ICS with an ICS based kernel's recovery while getting ready for a fresh install.
People have let their guard down as far as custom recovery goes as long as you aren't using it for anything that touches partitions.
I personally would recommend playing it safe and handling all of your flashing/backup/restoring through EL26, as suggested almost everywhere.

I did a factory reset with one of the first ICS leaks; FC07 I believe and went back to EL26 for a while. I probably got lucky. :)

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
Reactions: garwynn and ijoshv2

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
I've heard that flashing a non-ICS kernel from ODIN on a computer solves these issues.. Has ANYONE confirmed this?

Flashing any Kernel is safer through odin than Mobile Odin. No roms kernels or resets should be flashed from an ICS kernel that does not have a workaround for the 0x19 eMMC firmware bug. Flashing kernels and roms or performing resets is safe on gingerbread kernels.

If you flash a non ICS kernel while on an ICS rom your phone will not boot to Android. You will be able to use recovery. Flashing the EL26 CWM kernel through ODIN is the safe way to change roms while on ICS for the moment.

dynoboot

May 23, 2012
Thanks for this thread, I didn't realize until today the danger that awaited me. I flashed a leaked 4.0.3 and because of instability wanted to flash back. Last night before realizing the potential troubles by this I attempted to wipe and install from rom manager and CWM (specifically I tried Caulkins format all from Android recovery, and to install Venom rom from Rom manager after and selecting full wipe). They failed, however I haven't noticed any unusual problems beyond that (neither got very far, after probably a second or two gave me the little android guy with a red exclamation, rebooted fine and works as it has). I wanted to Odin back to stock rooted as suggested in this thread, but am now a bit worried that my attempted wipe last night may spell doom if I try to OC now. Is there a specific way to test and see if I can write to /data before flashing?

I'm wondering if I should hold off for a bit and see if perhaps I should wait a bit and see if perhaps devs come up with some sort of fix for this, or if I should try to flash OC and avoid any other potential pitfalls that may arise. Also, when you say do not wipe, does that mean I should use the NODATA flash or can I use the other one? Apologies if this should be posted in QA, I thought it pertinent to the threads topic.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ASKING, OR STATING ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE TROLLED (BADLY)
    -YOU, AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU'RE ACTIONS. IF YOU FLASH AND BRICK YOU'RE PHONE, ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME.
    Sorry guys it's been a while since I've been able to update this thread, I'm extremely glad to see that it's being used throughout the E4GT community. Well I guess it's time to update this so lets get started, and please forgive me if I miss anything as I have been on ICS mainly for a long time.

-Are you on a rom with a stock recovery or with a kernel released prior to SOURCE? Use Odin buddy!
    Just because we have source now, does not mean you can't still brick you're device. In fact many people are still on ICS builds prior to FF18 or newer, this includes people using stock kernels as well. Do not use the recovery on you're phone to do anything, The stock recovery is meant for files signed by Samsung and only Samsung, Roms prior to source with a custom recovery had the dreaded EMMC bug which would brick some people with a simple wipe. If any of the above applies to you and you wish to get back to GB or ICS then click on the following link that corresponds to you're desire and follow the steps.

EL29 One Click Link Below

ICS FF18 (Original ICS OTA update) Link Below

ICS FI27 (Newest ICS OTA update) Link Below

-After you install the .Tar file to you're phone, you'll need to install a custom recovery using a Auto Root Package found below, just follow the instructions. (use the FF18 Combo to install a custom recovery on the FI27 version)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342728
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Wanna flash to ICS from GB?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Simply pick the ICS rom you wish to use and flash using the OP's instructions. The issue of flashing to ICS from GB never really existed. If you are still worried about the risks of flashing to ICS, then use the Odin One Click method above and you're guaranteed fine.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

-Wanna Flash to GB from ICS?(includes restoring backups to GB roms too)
    This is where issues began to occur, prior to source release. The EMMC bug was present during the ICS leaks leading up to source release FF18 (FF18 OTA not being the issue). If you are on a rom which already contains a source kernel (FF18 and newer) Flashing to GB is the same as flashing to another rom, just follow the OP's instructions. If you're on a leaked rom with a stock recovery, or custom recovery, use the Odin One Click method to get back to GB or ICS. DO NOT WIPE IN NON-SOURCE KERNELS--- EVER

-Wanna Flash Good ol' CyanogenMod, or Something else AOSP?

Always use the EL26CWM kernel to flash AOSP roms. I myself, have flashed CyanogenMod 9 with multiple non-CWM kernels without issues, but better safe then sorry right? Thanks to rwilco12, we now have a repository for kernels, and modems so give him a big thanks. You can find the EL26 CWM kernel here.

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/?dir=Kernels/Recovery Kernels/GB/Chris41g/Stock CWM

Simply download the rom you wish to flash, as well as the EL26CWM kernel. Flash the kernel, and reboot back into the recovery. When you're phone restarts back into recovery press up, down, up, down with you're volume buttons to enable the selection button (power on/off button). Now flash the rom USING THE RECOMMENDED FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS. Instructions of roms may differ from others so be sure to read the Original Post by the dev before flashing.

-Are you on an AOSP rom and you wish to flash to a TW rom or other?
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Follow the same instructions for flashing to an AOSP rom, except replace the AOSP rom with the rom of you're choice. You can also use the One Click Odin Method from before. I have used both of these methods for flashing a different rom while on AOSP multiple times without any issues whatsoever.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Bricking Info

MISC
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -Stick with source kernels and you should be safe
    -Stay away from touch recovery, unless it's source-based
    -Stay away from Rom manager, It's not, and probably never will be optimized for our phone

-Thanks
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Calkulin, Mijj,all of Team Venom, all of Team Rejectz, agat, good ol' ruj22, rwilco12, garwynn, Ja5on for the title, all devs, and themers
    IMO most people actually do read. However we get a skewed view because the ones who successfully installed don't post a new thread saying yay, I flashed ICS successfully, or yay, I just rooted my phone. The ones that post the new threads are the ones saying I just bricked my phone, sometimes not even understanding what that means since in their eyes not booting equals brick.

There are so many people with this phone though that if just 5% don't read before doing things it will seem like a lot of people don't read, despite 95% being careful. 5% of 100 users is just 5 "brick" posts. 5% of 1000000 users could be 50,000 posts.

I am obviously just making up the numbers to illustrate a point and don't claim any accuracy. This is just my opinion based on maintaining the Auto Root thread where I do actually see people posting success stories.

While there are good percentage of bricks from newbies, ironically, quite a few are also from experienced users who are coming from other platforms where things were done differently. While many newbies are naturally a little cautious in the beginning, if you have experience on other Android phones, that may give you confidence to skim instructions rather than reading them through. Also you might be used to tools from your past platform which aren't that well tested on Epic 4G Touch.

Until the last month I've actually never seen so many people pushing ROM Manager as their tool of choice. I just chalk it up to all the Evo users coming off their 2yr contracts and jumping to Samsung.

Then you have the excitement over ICS and people not realizing that Intl GS2 is not the same thing as Epic 4G Touch. People got tempted by the Apple.
    So, let me make sure I have this right, at least based on everything I have read:

ICS (particularly Linux 3 kernel) + Non-ODIN partitioning solution currently is bad news.

GB + any partitioning solution (CWM, CWMT, ODIN, MODIN) - G2G

ICS + ODIN - GTG.

If so then it would seem as long as I stay with stock ROMs that can be flashed by ODIN OC then I might be willing to try FC07 + Rooted as I can always go back to EL29 + Rooted.

Well to clarify, CWM doesn't do any partitioning. CWM only formats/wipes partitions. Partitioning is only done in Odin, when a PIT (Partition Information Table) file is used while flashing.

The brick problem appears to be occurring when you wipe/format data using CWM while on a ICS kernel. The problem seems to be more pervasive when formatting data using Temp CWM via ROM Manager, Touch CWM, and when on experimental CM9. This last one (CM9) may be a placebo, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. CM9 is the ROM, and when formatting with a Rogue CWM repack for example, I would think brick frequency would be the same as with a Samsung ICS leak. But from my observations, hard brick events seem to happen much more often when people are working with a CM9 build. I don't know what it is about CM9 but I just see more brick reports coming from that area.

So ...

GB to anything else via CWM that involves a data format = FINE

ICS to anything else via CWM that involves a data format = Potential Hard Brick

ICS to anything else via Odin = FINE

I'll be operating by this simple set of guidelines until this **** gets figured out or magically goes away.
    This is great to see before I start flashing thank you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    I would like to say thank you and Greetings from me

sorry if I'm annoying and disrespectful inquire post message here, because I was so frustrated, I am a new user and is ignorant and blind to the android.

I just bought E4GT from the local market, with the android version ICS FI27,
    then through youtube QBking77 I did root and install CWM.
    because I am interested in the version leaked JB FK09 via youtube Qbking77 well,
    then I do flashing odin FK09 as exemplified in youtube by QBking77.
    without nanbackup or anythink. ( i think it was savely because i had installed CWM before)

in one day E4GT running smoothly and normally,
    but after that my E4GT hangs and reboots continue turn off the E4GT.
    so continue again and again.

what should I do? flashing my E4GT JB FK09 to GB EL29 ?
    I have been downloaded tar EL29, wanna do flash odin and follow the instructions there.
    however, when downloaded mode on my E4GT, on window flash restore odi EL29 on my PC show no response,
    did not show any indication "com/USB" or anything.

I had previously installed the usb driver and Kies software and have communication between the PC and the E4GT.
    there is no problem/issue with PC connection before.

I was expecting and is waiting for your advice, what should I do?

help from you so I would expect,

I say once again apologize profusely if I am intruding.

i very appreciate and thankfull for any help.

Thank you so much.

One thing you can try is leaving the phone unplugged, put it in odin (download) mode, go ahead and start pc Odin, Then connect your phone to pc and see if you get com port recognition. I have one laptop that I gave to do that with.
    Try it and see.
    Otherwise, you may have to uninstall then reinstall kies and drivers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2