[Q] Changed hosts file then lost write permissions

Search This thread

JacobLukeWood

Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane, Queensland
I got my AT&T Moto X yesterday and rooted it on 4.2.2 with SlapMyMoto.
Upgraded to 4.4
Used AdAway
Upgraded to 4.4.2
Lost write permissions, write protection re-enabled
Don't want an edited hosts file that is stuck like that, can't revert permanently
Screwed?

Any ideas?

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I know, but now I can't even restore to stock so I'm basically stuck on 4.4.2 with a modified hosts file and semi-root…
How can I go to stock? I don't care what version?
because write protection became enabled, any changes you make to /system (like reverting to the stock hosts file) will be undone at power off/on. In other words, yes you are stuck with the modified hosts file.

To get back to 100% stock at this point would involve flashing stock system.img with mfastboot, or the entire rom using RSDLite, however this will mean you also lose what little root you retained, AND the 4.4.2 SBF hasn't leaked out yet for ATT so you'd have to wait. (if/when it does leak, it will surely appear on -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 )

JacobLukeWood

Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane, Queensland
because write protection became enabled, any changes you make to /system (like reverting to the stock hosts file) will be undone at power off/on. In other words, yes you are stuck with the modified hosts file.

To get back to 100% stock at this point would involve flashing stock system.img with mfastboot, or the entire rom using RSDLite, however this will mean you also lose what little root you retained, AND the 4.4.2 SBF hasn't leaked out yet for ATT so you'd have to wait. (if/when it does leak, it will surely appear on -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 )

Thanks KidJoe, I guess I'll just have to wait…
Also, when I try to go into recovery I get the following:
Partition (recovery) Security Version Downgraded
Boot up failed

Is there anything I can do about this?

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks KidJoe, I guess I'll just have to wait…
Also, when I try to go into recovery I get the following:

Is there anything I can do about this?
Well, you've got miss-matched versions of files/partitions on your phone. You can TRY to flash the recovery.img from the T-Mobile 4.4.2 SBF, otherwise you'll have to wait until the ATT SBF leaks out.

BUT because of the state you are in... I would just sit tight and wait for the ATT 4.4.2 SBF, then use RSDLite to completely flash your phone and get everything, all parts, back to 100% stock.

D

Darth

Yes....do what Kid Joe suggests and wait. If you try the wrong thing now, you could very well brick.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

You can recover your phone, on 4.4.2....but you won't see write protection disabled again.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....