Which AOSP ROM?

Search This thread

0reo

Mar 25, 2011
I'm on MDK and I've never tried a non-touchwiz ROM. I want to now. I'd appreciate if you guys could tell me what the most popular / mainstream / well developed AOSP ROM is for the Verizon s4. I think I'd like to start my AOSP journey there.

Also, are the current crop of AOSP ROM fully functional? Or are there still some features of the S4 that aren't supported?

Thanks in advance.
-J

Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I'm on MDK and I've never tried a non-touchwiz ROM. I want to now. I'd appreciate if you guys could tell me what the most popular / mainstream / well developed AOSP ROM is for the Verizon s4. I think I'd like to start my AOSP journey there.

Also, are the current crop of AOSP ROM fully functional? Or are there still some features of the S4 that aren't supported?

Thanks in advance.
-J

Think I answered you in another thread about this topic but.. Try Mahdi, C ROM , Liquid Smooth, AICP ... They've all treated me well. They'll all run differently though for people so you'll just have to flash away and report back in their threads. Also I highly recommend using KToonsez AOSP-Kit Kat kernel with those. It's been nothing but stable for me.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0reo

Blindprophet32

May 27, 2014
Think I answered you in another thread about this topic but.. Try Mahdi, C ROM , Liquid Smooth, AICP ... They've all treated me well. They'll all run differently though for people so you'll just have to flash away and report back in their threads. Also I highly recommend using KToonsez AOSP-Kit Kat kernel with those. It's been nothing but stable for me.

Good luck!

I thought AICP couldn't be used with Safestrap? I'm about to downgrade from 4.4.2 so I can root my phone but from everything I've seen you have to use safestrap to do so... which would effectively destroy being able to use AICP.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I thought AICP couldn't be used with Safestrap? I'm about to downgrade from 4.4.2 so I can root my phone but from everything I've seen you have to use safestrap to do so... which would effectively destroy being able to use AICP.

safestrap enabled phones can only use tw stock kernel based roms which exclude CM, ASOP and all the rest

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma

Well you're correct but I was answering the OP who stated he was on an MDK S4.. which in turn means he's not on SafeStrap.

Blindprophet32

May 27, 2014
Well you're correct but I was answering the OP who stated he was on an MDK S4.. which in turn means he's not on SafeStrap.

Gotcha.. I'm new to rooting so I'm still trying to learn everything I can sorry about that. Every Verizon S4 I've seen people have used Safestrap on the SCH-I545. So I'm assuming that MDK is merely a different build correct?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Gotcha.. I'm new to rooting so I'm still trying to learn everything I can sorry about that. Every Verizon S4 I've seen people have used Safestrap on the SCH-I545. So I'm assuming that MDK is merely a different build correct?

Hey no problem!

MDK is the build that the Verizon S4 first shipped with and it allowed for a bootloader exploit called Loki which let's us run custom recoveries... Thus allowing AOSP ROMs like the ones I mentioned.

Blindprophet32

May 27, 2014
Hey no problem!

MDK is the build that the Verizon S4 first shipped with and it allowed for a bootloader exploit called Loki which let's us run custom recoveries... Thus allowing AOSP ROMs like the ones I mentioned.

Awesome thanks! Sadly the person I got my phone from worked at Verizon and had religiously updated the phone.....so I got the OTA 4.4.2 FNC5 build from day 1.... so no to partial downgrade and Root and try out hyperdrive 15 :good:

Treken

Nov 27, 2010
Houston

Thanks in advance.
-J
Look here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297370

The OP's will describe whether it's AOSP or TW

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance.
    -J

Good luck!