Now that i am rooted how do i turn off system updates?

Search This thread

jgskin

Oct 12, 2012
No Confirmed Solution

So, There is still no confirmation that the solution from the post #3 does work, right?

I think i'll let it roll and pray for that an ota does not brick my device. =(

jgskin

Oct 12, 2012
There is an option in the super User app that is labeled “ota root keeper".

Sent from my KFTT using XDA Premium HD app

Ectoplasmic

Dec 4, 2011
I'm not sure if they will be the same, but my experience with the original Kindle Fire is:
  • There was definitely no warning or notification about OTA updates, they just installed automatically
  • OTA Rootkeeper definitely does not maintain root after an OTA update
  • I remember lots of posts suggesting ways to avoid the updates, but over time, a lot of them turned out not to work (not sure if any actually worked long term)
  • After personally losing root twice due to OTA updates, and having to wait for weeks the second time for a new root procedure, I finally switched to a custom ROM with standard Android (AOKP). With a new ROM, you may not be able to use some things like Amazon video.

Yuretz

Nov 22, 2005
Recieved 7.2.1. Was able to make backup of root with OTA root keeper before recieving OTA. Lost ROOT. On Voodoo root keeper support said it doesn't work on kindle fire.

Chelle01

Oct 3, 2012
I did that and moved it, so far no update, but they seem to be doing them in batches and may not have sent me one yet. Last night I went into panic mode and moved adobe air to apps from a system app. I don't know, but I do not want to have to re do all this stuff.

Reactions: jgskin

PMcHargue

Aug 21, 2012
For me, I can confirm that my KF will boot after I renamed the file, '/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip' to '/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak'. The root was kept. Don't know if it will cause the OTA updates to stop.

Reactions: Blue Steel

vzwty

Jan 30, 2008
I lost root also. Funny enough Google play store still works as well as other Google apps. Did loose Nova launcher though

Sent from my rooted Kindle Fire HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm giving this a try: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Worked fine in the past with my HTC EVO. It says it will work with anything that runs ext4 (the kindle does).
    I tried it. Not sure if it works but i did not have an update since day 1
    I did that and moved it, so far no update, but they seem to be doing them in batches and may not have sent me one yet. Last night I went into panic mode and moved adobe air to apps from a system app. I don't know, but I do not want to have to re do all this stuff.
    For me, I can confirm that my KF will boot after I renamed the file, '/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip' to '/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak'. The root was kept. Don't know if it will cause the OTA updates to stop.
    we need some clarifying please...

I found out from reading this thread it easier to use Avast firewall.
    So I just block ADCP (Amazon Device Client Platform) from connect to internet
    I read somethread that's the one that responsible for updating but I am not sure
    since mine already updated to 7.2.1 also already reroot.

If you have received an update, would you please tell us what you did to try to stop the ota update before it happened? That is the only way we will learn what is or is not working. I have done a few things and still have not gotten an update. (7.1.5)

1) superuser elite with blocking ota's-- (this is no guarantee)
    2) renamed and moved otacerts.zip file
    3) unhooked from help and feedback (customer service)
    4) installed adb secure and use a lock screen

I have no idea if these are working or if they just haven't sent me the update yet.
    I read the same thing you read about blocking ADCP, but I think they said you also need to block kernals, which I didn't think we could do on this OS. Happy hacking!