HTC M4(News updated on #55) finally leaked news!

Search This thread

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
News updated on #55

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_readying_720p_jb_m4_and_budget_ics_g2_for_spring-news-5462.php

4.3" 720P
2GB ram
1.2G S4 CPU(lol?)
16GB rom(still...)
13M cam f/2.0(same as M7)
720p front cam
LTE
1700mAH battery
Sense 5.0 on JB4.2

The CPU is same as One SV(down-clocked S4) but I doubt it very much because it would not make any existing One S customer to upgrade. So, I think the CPU should at least stay the same with One S(1.5G) or little faster(like 1.7G).

I think the LCD should change to SLCD2 this time instead of AMOLED Plus like One SV(4.3" SLCD2). I actually quite like AMOLED on phone because of perfect black but SLCD2(IPS) has better viewing experiences under sunlight which is more important to me. At the end, I don't care if it's still AMOLED or IPS, they both have pros and cons.

I have a high chance to get M4 because I don't want any size larger than 4.3". However, my One S is still lovely and used only 8 months.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-C5303-HuaShan-midranger-smiles-for-the-camera_id39165
I may wait Sony and see, they are also going to out 4.0" ~ 4.3" 720P LTE with ExmorRS, Qualcomm MSM8960T Dual 1.7GHz with Adreno 320 GPU(I think M4 will use 8960T). Model name: C5302, C5303, C5306 (Code name:HuaShan).

Last edited:

Vauix

Mar 30, 2011
4.3" 720P
2GB ram
1.2G S4 CPU(lol?)
16GB rom(still...)

The CPU is same as One SV(down-clocked S4) but I doubt it very much because it would not make any existing One S customer to upgrade. So, I think the CPU should at least stay the same with One S(1.5G) or little faster(like 1.7G).

I think the LCD should change to SLCD2 this time instead of AMOLED Plus like One SV(4.3" SLCD2). I actually quite like AMOLED on phone because of perfect black but SLCD2(IPS) has better viewing experiences under sunlight which is more important to me. At the end, I don't care if it's still AMOLED or IPS, they both have pros and cons.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-C5303-HuaShan-midranger-smiles-for-the-camera_id39165
I may wait Sony and see, they are also going to out 4.0" ~ 4.3" 720P LTE with ExmorRS, Qualcomm MSM8960T Dual 1.7GHz with Adreno 320 GPU(I think M4 will use 8960T). Model name: C5302, C5303, C5306 (Code name:HuaShan).

Well I actually lover the cpu choice. Everything runs smooth on this cpu, and with a less heavy skinned Jb (sense 5) this will only improve. Every singel game runs brilliant. I don't think you will notice its downclocked on sense 5 and will bring a lot better battery life I gues.

The display in the one S is great. But when I hold it next to the One X or the SGIII or even the xperia T it really looks dreadfull. The colors and brightness seems fine but compared to these crisp screens it really falls out of the boat.

I'm wondering what the impact will be of a higher res lcd display on the 1.2ghz S4 though.

There are some Sony alternatives. Something I really like about those phones is the waterproof ones. But than again the Sony skin on these phones are just lame. All that grey bled stuff makes it really boring (and ugly), a funeral looks more cheerfull than that.

As I'm looking to replace my One S in march, my preference will still be the Xiaom MI-2.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And I cant edit my post because my post is to short (less than 2 characters) which its obviously not... So umh.. Yes the S4 Pro quad core is a lot more powerful without sacrificing a lot of battery, but comes with a price tag. And I think this phone will be launched as a sub-high-end alternative for the M7 (like the One S was with the one X).

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
Well I actually lover the cpu choice. Everything runs smooth on this cpu, and with a less heavy skinned Jb (sense 5) this will only improve. Every singel game runs brilliant. I don't think you will notice its downclocked on sense 5 and will bring a lot better battery life I gues.

You can trick the Power Saving on in JB, it will limit both cores to 1134mhz max on One S to save battery.

yup, I spoke many times in this broad 720P is a lot better(I was own a Xperia S and that is only a suck TFT mon, not IPS). QHD resolution is really not enough for text reading though. 720P does drains more cpu power over QHD because more pixels to render on screen so it's questionable to make cpu slower while the device actually needs more cpu.

All 1080P devices go with quad-core because they need even more cpu power to render extra pixels. 8960T is just a dual core ver of 1.7G S4 but with a upgraded GPU(Adreno 320).

Closed Source Project

Mar 31, 2012
The Windy City, Chicago, Illinois
HTC is really slipping. Three is nothing good about this device. The one thing I hated most about this phone is the terrible memory and HTC made the same mistake again... Better off with the Samsung galaxy s4 or the next nexus device. I strongly recommend skipping any HTC device for a long time.

This is NOT an upgrade to the One S, it's a sad excuse.

Vauix

Mar 30, 2011
HTC is really slipping. Three is nothing good about this device. The one thing I hated most about this phone is the terrible memory and HTC made the same mistake again... Better off with the Samsung galaxy s4 or the next nexus device. I strongly recommend skipping any HTC device for a long time.

This is NOT an upgrade to the One S, it's a sad excuse.

Everyone has right on his own opinion, but I completely disagree with you with everything you just said.

I actually LOVE this device! the only thing i would change was the display. It shows quality all around. Incredible sound quality for both headphone and speaker, a slick (aluminum) design, great performance (was the best of its time) and a really really great camera. And although you can't fully unlock it and they released only a partial sourcecode doesn't mean its instantly trash.

Every single thing on the M4 is an upgrade for the One S, besides the CPU. And quite frankly I really don't see the use for a quadcore in a 4.3 inch phone with android 4.2. As the one S proved JB is buttery smooth on this chipset. Yes the IPS display will but its tax on the CPU, but with a lighter (and a lot lighter by the looks of the leaks) sense running on 4.2, I highly doubt you will notice it.

And yes I love the idea of the nexus serie and love the looks of stock android. But I never ever want it as a daily driver. It's just to formal and vannila for my taste. In the Gingerbread and ICS days i would have loved it because it was so much smoother than skinned phones. But JB brought a lot of chance in that, and the phone manufactures really stepped up there game with software development and drivers. Therefor a Nexus phone doesn't have any appeal for me AT ALL.

Reactions: TheCrow1372

MrToastedAndroid

Oct 31, 2012
Re: HTC M4(One S upgrade) finally leaked news!

Great! When this phone comes out, one s prices will drop!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using xda app-developers app

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
The specs looks quite ok... But wtf? 1.2Ghz cpu speed? WHY!? Ive downclocked my S to 1.2Ghz a few times to save battery, and the difference is very noticable in speed. The battery I save I lose right away when having to wait extra long for something to finish loading.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
The specs looks quite ok... But wtf? 1.2Ghz cpu speed? WHY!? Ive downclocked my S to 1.2Ghz a few times to save battery, and the difference is very noticable in speed. The battery I save I lose right away when having to wait extra long for something to finish loading.

Since every other mid-range phone is running S4 1.5G now, I don't think HTC will use 1.2G on their 2013 new phone. Sony's up coming mid-range will use MSM8960T 1.7G dual, I think HTC will just follow Sony.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
Everyone has right on his own opinion, but I completely disagree with you with everything you just said.

Hey, sorry to forget mention about Xiaom MI-2. We have many chances to use China smartphone/tablet here in Hong Kong. I've to say it depends on your usage.

They are general powerful on hardware and cheap at price because they cut the cost from software development. You have no chance to get a stock rom close to the HTC/Samsung/Sony level, don't even to think get as many updates as HTC. So, the performance totally depends by custom roms and flash rom is almost a necessary on China stuffs. I see Xiaom MI-2 got a dev broad on XDA now.

If you are going to use it with only some general apps and not a heavy usage user, the stock rom may works fine and China stuffs almost never come with google playstore and map and others google apps, you have to get root access and install them by yourself. Not sure about Xiaom MI-2.

slainbybeats

Aug 6, 2012
AW: HTC M4(One S upgrade) finally leaked news!

I think apart from the weak cpu clockspeed(hopefully they will change to something like 1.5-1.7ghz), this phone is nice. But I think I am gonna keep my one S for this year and afterwards there will be new phones as well, so no need to buy one. One S is still just fine for everything.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Vauix

Mar 30, 2011
Hey, sorry to forget mention about Xiaom MI-2. We have many chances to use China smartphone/tablet here in Hong Kong. I've to say it depends on your usage.

They are general powerful on hardware and cheap at price because they cut the cost from software development. You have no chance to get a stock rom close to the HTC/Samsung/Sony level, don't even to think get as many updates as HTC. So, the performance totally depends by custom roms and flash rom is almost a necessary on China stuffs. I see Xiaom MI-2 got a dev broad on XDA now.

If you are going to use it with only some general apps and not a heavy usage user, the stock rom may works fine and China stuffs almost never come with google playstore and map and others google apps, you have to get root access and install them by yourself. Not sure about Xiaom MI-2.

Thanks for your insight. But I think the MI-2 is worth another look. It's roots in rom development (the famous MIUI rom's) which are so succesfull they started building phones there self. I actually love the software and see more future in than in sense or touchwiz UX. They have monthly updates which are based on the miui community and by the looks of the reviews and benchmarks the firmware seems very optimized (all most the speed of the nexus 4, better audio quality than most high end phones, and photo quality is on par with the iphone and sony/samsung devices).

Many people view this phone as another cheap china phone, but I think it deserves a lot more credit than that. There are reports Xiaomi will bring the MI-2 to the US market this year, and is getting a lot of support all round (did i mention Qualcomm is one of the biggest investors?).

I don't want to sounds like this is the best phone on the market or that I'm completely sure I'm going to get one, i just want to raise it out of the budget phone segment.

blaze82

Sep 18, 2012
new aiyansh
HTC One S is ok for the average joe but if you want to...

i have an un branded HTC ONE S, which has been good to me in terms of using custom roms/kernels without too much hassle.
rooting on the other hand was bit of a nightmare, but that was due to me not reading all that i could before i tried, which leads me to the pain in the a** S-ON and having to flash boot kernels/recoveries with ADB (which is no longer a problem with FLASH IMAGE GUI supporting our device)
also the16gb rom is a bit low...would like to have the ability to upgrade to 32

i really dont see too much of an upgrade for our device , the HTC One S is ok for the average joe but if you want to root and mess round with custom roms and kernels, choose another device to upgrade to

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
This is so annoying. Still using 16 GB of internal memory, and now with 13mp camera (useless) so we can only fit 10 pictures.

Also, I guarantee this is gonna be S4 Plus (not Pro) and therefore it will have the Adreno 305 GPU. The old S4 Plus which the One S has, contains an Adreno 225, which is actually a lot faster than the 305.

So take a slower GPU and pair it with a 720p screen (instead of our 540p), take away some CPU performance as well, and what do you get?

And a 13 mp camera, seriously, I thought the "megapixel race" ended ages ago. How many people actually print out billboards from pictures taken on your phone? Just focus on lens quality and aperture, leave the megapixels at 8. Hell, even 5 is more than enough, I never take pictures at more than 2 mp myself.

HTC is digging its own grave.

Last edited:
Reactions: kulam5421

Terminator19

Mar 13, 2011
This is so annoying. Still using 16 GB of internal memory, and now with 13mp camera (useless) so we can only fit 10 pictures.

Lol, bit of an exaggeration there.......

I have had over a 1000 photos (including lots of 1080P and slow motion footage) on my S and still had 5GB left. I don't store any music on my phone so 16GB is more than enough for me and is for many others, nexus 4 16 and 8GB models as well as iphones etc. sell well enough so the ones who want 32GB+ internal and/or a SD slot are in a small minority.

Also, we have no idea yet as to what the camera lens etc. is not to mention software/driver tweaks/optimisation, so how can you judge the camera when the phone specs etc. haven't even been confirmed :confused:

Regarding the M7 camera;

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-m7-rumored-carry-43-ultrapixel-camera

So it could be the same for the M4, just the way the camera on the X and S are the same.

Last edited:

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
HTC obviously has got everything wrong if they expect people to NOT store music on a "beats" branded phone.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011

Also, I guarantee this is gonna be S4 Plus (not Pro) and therefore it will have the Adreno 305 GPU. The old S4 Plus which the One S has, contains an Adreno 225, which is actually a lot faster than the 305.

So take a slower GPU and pair it with a 720p screen (instead of our 540p), take away some CPU performance as well, and what do you get?

And a 13 mp camera, seriously, I thought the "megapixel race" ended ages ago. How many people actually print out billboards from pictures taken on your phone? Just focus on lens quality and aperture, leave the megapixels at 8. Hell, even 5 is more than enough, I never take pictures at more than 2 mp myself.

yup, both CPU/GPU will be slower than One S if it is real using the Qualcomm S4 Plus MSM8930 Dual 1.2G but I doubt that because it will happen the case on One S(S3) again, a great smartphone with slower cpu and terrible sales result.

The M7/M4 will both likely using the technology similar to Foveon X3 RGB 3CMOS on DSLR. It means 3 x 4.3M CMOS combined together to output a 13M photo, you get perfect color and white balance reproduction this time. However, low light and high ISO might be even worse because three CMOS there to share the aperture now, the photo should be darker and more noises appear.

It is absolutely a killer to Nokia Pureview808 and the upcoming Nokia Lumia 950(WP8 with Pureview808) in summer but might not be on the same boat with original One X/S and Nokia 920 which targeted at low lighting environment. I'll see how M7/M4 to handle low light with this new 3CMOS because low light is more important to me.

gock

Feb 22, 2008
Prague

If you care about low light that mufh, why don't get a dslr?

Sent from my One S using xda premium

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
If you care about low light that mufh, why don't get a dslr?

Sent from my One S using xda premium

Because often when one is in low light conditions and wants to take pictures, they don't usually have their hefty DSLR kit with them. People only carry that stuff around when it's planned. If you go out for some drinks in the evening and want to take some pictures, the One S works wonders, and hence I actually really appreciate its ability to take decent pics in those scenarios without a flash.

Looks like I'll either be skipping an upgrade this year and stick with the One S, or sadly move to a different brand. Unless the M4 turns out to be different.

Last edited:

CurbThePain

The display in the one S is great. But when I hold it next to the One X or the SGIII or even the xperia T it really looks dreadfull. The colors and brightness seems fine but compared to these crisp screens it really falls out of the boat.

I'm wondering what the impact will be of a higher res lcd display on the 1.2ghz S4 though.

There are some Sony alternatives. Something I really like about those phones is the waterproof ones. But than again the Sony skin on these phones are just lame. All that grey bled stuff makes it really boring (and ugly), a funeral looks more cheerfull than that.

As I'm looking to replace my One S in march, my preference will still be the Xiaom MI-2.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And I cant edit my post because my post is to short (less than 2 characters) which its obviously not... So umh.. Yes the S4 Pro quad core is a lot more powerful without sacrificing a lot of battery, but comes with a price tag. And I think this phone will be launched as a sub-high-end alternative for the M7 (like the One S was with the one X).

Yes, and the lower processing speed will in fact increase the battery life too...

Sent from my DROID Pro using xda app-developers app

Terminator19

Mar 13, 2011
Here are some photos of the M4:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m4_appears_in_front_of_the_camera_for_the_first_time-news-5498.php

The M7 specs/design has been confirmed:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m7_to_launch_on_march_8_in_france_priced_at_650-news-5496.php

The listing also confirms the specifications of HTC M7 to sport a 4.7" Full HD display, 1.7 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core processor along with 2GB RAM, 32 GB internal memory with microSD support, 4G, NFC, Android Jelly Bean and 2,300mAh battery

Furthermore, HTC M7 will be using a 13-megapixel camera with stacked sensor and ultrapixels for the first time and it will be interesting to see how the camera performs. M7 is also confirmed to feature the latest HTC 5.0 sense and Double HP techno Beats Audio.

I imagine the black M7 will be similar to the black m4. M4 looks quite curvy/ergonomic and a bit thick so it looks like it will feel comfortable/nice in the hand.

By the looks of it, the speakers are on the front of the M7 too :cool: Also I am glad that they aren't going any bigger than 4.7".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What I seriously hate about my One S is the capacity. I mean, yes, 16gb are enough for photos and a little bit of music, but aren't we really out of the days, when we had to watch our memory for every additional picture or song? In my opinion, it was a huge step backwards to remove the micro sd slots on most of the newer devices. I mean, I guess it makes sense marketing wise, since you can sell a phone with bigger storage for a lot more money, than it actually costs to add it. But it was just amazing to be able to add micro sd cards...
    Same goes for battery, I wouldn't mind my phone to be 1-2mm thicker than it is if I had a) a bigger battery or b) the option to put a freshly charged battery in my phone and it would be up and running for the next day. Especially when I'm on vacation or travelling by train this sucks big time...
    I also don't really like the design of the new phones and am really happy with my One S, now that JB runs on it.

I hope this 'leaked' device does get released and drive HTC into the ground. HTC always releases so many worthless reiterations of devices. Why can't they just stick with ONE device as a flagship. The One S is just a pathetic example. This is why I am most likely going to stay away from HTC from now on.

Just a question, if u don't like HTC devices than just don't comment unless ur looking for arguments cuz I have the same opinion of Samsung but don't go around commenting on them and their CRAPPY design (plastic) LOL also the HTC ONE will and DOES smoke the Samsung Galaxy S 4 if u watch videos by Phonedog

One S/HaloBlackBaked

I hope this 'leaked' device does get released and drive HTC into the ground. HTC always releases so many worthless reiterations of devices. Why can't they just stick with ONE device as a flagship. The One S is just a pathetic example. This is why I am most likely going to stay away from HTC from now on.

You're one of the very few people I've actually complain about the One S. That's a terrible example as the One S is pretty much a flagship and is the best phone of its size. If you don't want a huge phone and don't want a tiny iPhone then the One S is where it's at

Sent from my One S using xda app-developers app
    In any way, will adreno 225 outperform the 305?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

In some aspects yes. (Or many)

Open these two links and compare benchmark speeds and scores:

This chipset, used in the HTC First, has an Adreno 305
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-MSM8930-SoC.87735.0.html

This chipset is obviously used in the One S ewith the Adreno 225
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-MSM8960-SoC.86868.0.html

However I do think the M4 with OIS and the newer ImageSense chip will have better images, especially the ones taken in low light. But since our phone has an aperture/F stop of 2.0, it won't be too bad.