[Q] is it possible to install windows 7 on Acer A500 tablet?

Search This thread

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
MOSCOW for Mod. my vote is with you

This actually was a very dead thread and should not have been brought back to life . BUT with The sparked boot loader unlocking and Fast boot/uboot thru nv flash.(something i am starting to read on NOOB IN THIS Area).
I see the win8 arm has been brought up there. Being that win8 arm is looking like only pre install on devices this will not get off the ground.With that said Its hightly likely a500 will never get windows 8 for arm on it.. But Its now quite possibly that the boot loader with u/boot COULD Actually boot win 8 arm. NOT RUN BUT BOOT. Running well its not released to anyone at this time. TO MY knowledge.
So the conclusion to win8 arm .. (not win7. that is still no!). Has changed.

win 8 arm may have if ever in the hands as a install file.. Could be booted with a proper U-BOOT Boot loader on the a500.

To bad op is not around to revive this thread with a proper TOPIC update to spark discussion on this topic . i would like to see how it would go..

Thanks for listening If im totally wrong Please share. just do not troll.
Erica Renee.:confused::confused:

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
This actually was a very dead thread and should not have been brought back to life . BUT with The sparked boot loader unlocking and Fast boot/uboot thru nv flash.(something i am starting to read on NOOB IN THIS Area).
I see the win8 arm has been brought up there. Being that win8 arm is looking like only pre install on devices this will not get off the ground.With that said Its hightly likely a500 will never get windows 8 for arm on it.. But Its now quite possibly that the boot loader with u/boot COULD Actually boot win 8 arm. NOT RUN BUT BOOT. Running well its not released to anyone at this time. TO MY knowledge.
So the conclusion to win8 arm .. (not win7. that is still no!). Has changed.

win 8 arm may have if ever in the hands as a install file.. Could be booted with a proper U-BOOT Boot loader on the a500.

To bad op is not around to revive this thread with a proper TOPIC update to spark discussion on this topic . i would like to see how it would go..

Thanks for listening If im totally wrong Please share. just do not troll.
Erica Renee.:confused::confused:

This thread has nothing to do with Windows 8 development. If and when Windows 8 ARM has a feasible chance of running on our tablets, I'm sure there will be a thread. This thread is just some misinformed guy trying to get us to help him fix his fubar'd situation after he went and spent hundreds of dollars on a device without seeing what it could do first. More importantly, this thread should have been left buried, if not for that **** who bumped it.

And yes, uBoot -could- boot Win8 if they implemented a UFI (for secureboot) on top of it, but that's not the topic of this thread.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
I agree this thread was resurrected for no real reason. But calling names and Bashing someone is totally Uncalled for.
Now as far my comment having nothing to do with win7. I can move my Comments to yet another really not needed thread at this time. But i will not do so. Windows 8 is the next gen os from ms. SO I SEE it as a nearly viable solution to the the OPS question. The constant calling op as being non intelligent for starting this thread . well THE only DUMB Question is the Ones not asked.even if the answer is simple to you. It could not be to someone else.

I will again let this thread die. and looking forward to the win8 arm discussion in the future. Thou i do agree its very unlikely we will get it to run on our tab.
Thanks for your comments.

Yes you can run Windows 7 on your A500 (kinda).
Download OnLive Desktop from the market. This app basically runs a remote desktop to the OnLive server allowing you access to a Windows 7 PC. The main things you have access to are Microsoft Office and a few other apps. Paid version gets you Internet Explorer, DropBox Access, etc.
Depending on what you are going to use it for the free version may work for you, otherwise you can pay for more options.
Or, if you have a PC at home, use Splashtop Remote HD or Pocket Wyse and control it from your tab.

Yes, I realize this is not the same as actually booting Windows from a tablet, but its the most reasonable and most inexpensive way to do it from an Android device. Other than that, like everyone else said...no. Not gonna boot.

You're welcome :D

Edit:
Corrected info about IE not working, it works with paid subscription.

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Download OnLive Desktop from the market. This app basically runs a remote desktop to the OnLive server allowing you access to a Windows 7 PC. As of right now Internet Explorer isn't really working so you can't do much with it, but I'm sure some future updates will make this awesome!
Depending on what you are going to use it for the free version may work for you, otherwise you can pay fro more options.
Or, if you have a PC at home, use Splashtop Remote HD or Pocket Wyse and control it from your tab.

Yes, I realize this is not the same as actually booting Windows from a tablet, but its the most reasonable and most inexpensive way to do it from an Android device. Other than that, like everyone else said...no. Not gonna boot.

Thats not running it on your tablet that is REMOTE ACCESS . by the way splash top HD. is in my opinion the best remote desktop.. but there are many and i have only tried a few. with team View is another popular one. with splash top i can run ANY and all apps that are on my pc.. because they run locally and send the screen view only to the remote client.

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
Download OnLive Desktop from the market. This app basically runs a remote desktop to the OnLive server allowing you access to a Windows 7 PC. As of right now Internet Explorer isn't really working so you can't do much with it, but I'm sure some future updates will make this awesome!
Depending on what you are going to use it for the free version may work for you, otherwise you can pay fro more options.

Internet Explorer isn't broken in Onlive Desktop, you just haven't paid for it.

Internet Explorer isn't broken in Onlive Desktop, you just haven't paid for it.

Wasn't aware it was part of the paid package only..I'll update post.
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Thats not running it on your tablet that is REMOTE ACCESS . by the way splash top HD. is in my opinion the best remote desktop.. but there are many and i have only tried a few. with team View is another popular one. with splash top i can run ANY and all apps that are on my pc.. because they run locally and send the screen view only to the remote client.

I know, that's why I mentioned it's kinda running it :rolleyes:
I just meant that depending on his needs that may be suitable. But i did specifically mention that it was not actually booting Windows, only allowing access to it.
And yes, Splashtop is the best by far. I use HD on my tablet and standard on my phone. People are amazed at how fast it is and how great the resolution looks.

Last edited:

diiorio

Jan 25, 2011
I use onlive desktop (paid not the base 4.99 one). Ineternet explorer works fine.

The paid service gives a few options. More storage (for docs it's a waste for mass music and video its nice), and priority access (when more peopel use it that may be needed).

Onlive is probably the most stable cloud option, but there are others. Remote access on your own service won't be as smooth, but still an option.

Onlive's beta of the professional version allows custome software installation (within approval for certain programs).

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
I tried to get OnLive desktop free edition, but it refuses to work from Finland :( I'm so effing bored with my broken wrist, thought to check if I can hack around a little and open up more functionality than they intended.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
To get around the country thing. you might be able to use a IP Redirect site. There are many of them for people who play games online but do not have a Static ip address to host from.. A service like that could work.I just know you have to very carefully understand your ISPs acceptable use policy with spoofed ip. thou your not trying to steal something some isps here in the us sees it as such. Has a issue with my teenage son years back. He did not know we owned static addresses and Domain names . DAAA THE WEB SERVERS IN THE BASEMENT Dont give that away .

diiorio

Jan 25, 2011
There is a limitation to Windows 7 based tablets. They are not full fledged versions of windows 7. You won't get the same function of a laptop, let alone a high end laptop.

You can scan, print, and fax from an android based tablet. You need a supproted printer/scanner that can work via wifi, and proper apps to do web based or network based faxing.

Don't expect direct use of a Faxfinder/MSfax support on a windows based tab.

garvus

May 12, 2011
Iconia dual boot app from play market

Why not use geeknizer.com/install-run-ubuntu-on-android?

A google play app that installs a 3.5gb image ....you can even still make phone calls.

Just curious why this would be a BAD option.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry, I am just an end user not developer. I got no time for understanding software archetecture. As a user the equipment and sofware must support my needs. I can't connect to a Ad hoc connection, I cannot have multi profiles, equipment has 2 cameras but I cant use msn or yahoo to video call, the usb drive is just a socket for thumb drive. I can't get a mobile tethering via USB. Ms office cannot be installed, FAX applications don't work, not all bluetooth printers work. What more .... we spend money to make our business easy not end up installing ROM. Tabkets are ment to be laptop replacements and business friendly.

If all these things are as important as you say, then why the hell didn't you research your purchase first?
    Tabkets are ment to be laptop replacements and business friendly.

There's your problem!

Tablets are not supposed to be laptop replacements. They are a different class of device entirely.

For some people, it is possible that a tablet can effectively replace a laptop, but it very much depends how you actually use a laptop in the first place. If you use your laptop for email, internet, and maybe some light games, then yes a tablet can replace it. Otherwise, a tablet is likely to be a companion device to another computer (e.g. a desktop or laptop).

In addition, "business friendly" doesn't mean suitable for all business applications. It just means, in my experience at least, that the device can be used for certain business functions, e.g. exchange support, VPN, remote desktop, Citrix etc.

Regards,

Dave
    If you need Window$ (and I completely understand why you might) take a look at the existing windows tablets. Fujitsu just came out with a new slate form tablet that might fit your needs.

XDA is the wrong place to be.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fujitsu+tablet
    Sorry, I am just an end user not developer. I got no time for understanding software archetecture. As a user the equipment and sofware must support my needs. I can't connect to a Ad hoc connection, I cannot have multi profiles, equipment has 2 cameras but I cant use msn or yahoo to video call, the usb drive is just a socket for thumb drive. I can't get a mobile tethering via USB. Ms office cannot be installed, FAX applications don't work, not all bluetooth printers work. What more .... we spend money to make our business easy not end up installing ROM. Tabkets are ment to be laptop replacements and business friendly.

1. What true business person has to resort to ad-hoc networks? Did you not realize the A500 is wifi only and doesn't have a 3G feature?
    2. Why would you need multiple profiles? Are you sharing the tablet with others? A tablet is pretty much considered to be a one-person device like a phone.
    3. There are multi-platform video conferencing apps that work. Of course Microsoft and Yahoo apps might not -- this is a Google device. Microsoft apps don't typically function on Apple devices either.
    4. So far I use my USB port for card readers, thumbdrives, connecting my digital camera, keyboard, and mouse. This functionality will improve even more with the v3.1 update released within weeks.
    5. There are 1/2 dozen Office compatible app suites available for Android. I don't think you would want to install a full version of Office on a mobile device with limited memory/storage.
    6. There are plenty of modern and secure alternatives to the 1980's technology of faxing. That being said, there are numerous internet based FAX services that work perfectly with the A500.
    7. Printers require drivers, and those come from the printer manufacturer. If they do not produce drivers for Android then you cannot print directly to those printers. However, there are apps that can satisfy your printing requirements. Again, paper and printed documents are becoming a thing of the past. Most industries have moved to digital.

My advice to you is to have your company's IT department set up some sort of RAS/Citrix type system that allows you to use your tablet (whether Android, Windows, or Apple) to connect to a full Windows computer over the internet and run all your standard Windows business apps and functions from there. Otherwise, a tablet (any/all tablets) just simply is not the device for you.
    STUBORN SPOTTED ::::A500 WARNING ::::
    YOU CAN NOT INSTALL, RUN, OR DO ANYTHING ELSE THAN AN OPERATING SYSTEM BUILD FOR ARM ARCHITECTURE...

Choices
    - you go buy a laptop
    - you buy a W500 (W stand for WINDOWS)
    - you wait april 2012 for the release of WINDOWS 8 wich will probably run on ARM
    - you recode whole windows for ARM architecture and open a new company armicrosoft with armdows :D

UNDERSTAND ?

A500 = Android = ARM CPU
    W500 = Windows = AMD CPU
    M500 = Meego = ???? dunno that one but I bet for A500 under disguise.

As you said you are just a end user... well me before buying something I take some information