[Q] [L7]New to all this, pls help

Search This thread

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
So I'm getting a brand new L7 tomorrow and I really don't like that it comes only with android 4.0 and Lg's skin.
I want to root and install a custom ROM, and after the (very little) research I've made it looks like that the CarbonRom for 4.4.2 (p705) is the more "stable" (pls correct me if I'm wrong). In the website it said that the device has NFC so it must be the p700 which may force me to install a different kernel (to work with the ROM).
My doubts are if I can keep updating the ROM, as new updates came out, without losing my data/settings? And if something goes wrong how do I go to stock (as it came by Lg)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English, it's not my first language :)

Lukijs

Oct 27, 2011
So I'm getting a brand new L7 tomorrow and I really don't like that it comes only with android 4.0 and Lg's skin.
I want to root and install a custom ROM, and after the (very little) research I've made it looks like that the CarbonRom for 4.4.2 (p705) is the more "stable" (pls correct me if I'm wrong). In the website it said that the device has NFC so it must be the p700 which may force me to install a different kernel (to work with the ROM).
My doubts are if I can keep updating the ROM, as new updates came out, without losing my data/settings? And if something goes wrong how do I go to stock (as it came by Lg)?

It wil lcome with 4.1.2 .. also sucks to get L7, it really sucks...after you have a custom rom, you can keep updating it without losing any data by just wiping cache and dalvik cache in cmw and then flashing new build.

Reactions: tab0rda

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
Thank you, for answering me :)
It wil lcome with 4.1.2 .. also sucks to get L7, it really sucks...after you have a custom rom, you can keep updating it without losing any data by just wiping cache and dalvik cache in cmw and then flashing new build.

Didn't choose, it's a replacement for my old cellphone (an old Nokia)... Ok, that's good then. One doubt about the base band if I understand correctly I need to install/flash the correct one from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2335273, (I live in Portugal so I guess it's the Europe one), this is after or before the installation of a custom rom?
Do you recommend a OC kermel for p700 compatible with the ROM I was talking about?

Lukijs

Oct 27, 2011
Thank you, for answering me :)

Didn't choose, it's a replacement for my old cellphone (an old Nokia)... Ok, that's good then. One doubt about the base band if I understand correctly I need to install/flash the correct one from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2335273, (I live in Portugal so I guess it's the Europe one), this is after or before the installation of a custom rom?
Do you recommend a OC kermel for p700 compatible with the ROM I was talking about?
No need for baseband if you're running jelly bean+(v20)
Though you will need to root phone and install CMW(clockworkmod) so you can flash roms, but it's easy and everythings here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486512
also abut kernels, there was a kernel in carbon topic for p700, just skim through pages.

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
No need for baseband if you're running jelly bean+(v20)
Though you will need to root phone and install CMW(clockworkmod) so you can flash roms, but it's easy and everythings here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486512
also abut kernels, there was a kernel in carbon topic for p700, just skim through pages.

Nice that makes things easier :)
yeah, I have rooted an old tablet (nook color) and it was fairly easy it's just that this is supposed to be my daily driver so I just want to be extra careful :D

Already saw it thanks, now I'm just deciding between "installing" Carbon and CM by Cr3pT (4.4.2) they both look stable enough and smooth....

Lukijs

Oct 27, 2011
Nice that makes things easier :)
yeah, I have rooted an old tablet (nook color) and it was fairly easy it's just that this is supposed to be my daily driver so I just want to be extra careful :D

Already saw it thanks, now I'm just deciding between "installing" Carbon and CM by Cr3pT (4.4.2) they both look stable enough and smooth....

Cr3pt is really good, it's stock CM11 experience, carbon is more modded same as vanir and kitkat prime also slimkat is relly good but in few last builds hardware buttons werent working.

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
Cr3pt is really good, it's stock CM11 experience, carbon is more modded same as vanir and kitkat prime also slimkat is relly good but in few last builds hardware buttons werent working.

I see that.. I'll chose Cr3pt's ROM. in his download page (CM 11.0>BETA) what version for p700 do I chose, there are two?

And my l7 came with 4.0 so I guess that I need to change baseband and stuff :s

Lukijs

Oct 27, 2011
I see that.. I'll chose Cr3pt's ROM. in his download page (CM 11.0>BETA) what version for p700 do I chose, there are two?

seems like you will have to change then it's nothing hard, just flash v20b through cmw and then rom and gapps
...look at names end, there will be date cm_11.0.p700_exp.201402222230.cr3pt = 2014/02/22/ 22:30(time)

Last edited:
Reactions: tab0rda

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
seems like you will have to change then it's nothing hard, just flash v20b through cmw and then rom and gapps
...look at names end, there will be date cm_11.0.p700_exp.201402222230.cr3pt = 2014/02/22/ 22:30(time)

I got it to v20 through lg :)
That's what I was thinking, I'm going to start now. Just wondering if there's a easy way to get back (to how I am now) in case something goes wrong...

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
I installed Cr3pt by following the steps in bot pages (Cr3pt's and the guide) but I can't use it! Every app is constantly FC and I get blue screens/forced reboot every other minute....

Lukijs

Oct 27, 2011
did you do everything step by step as in cr3pts first post? if you did, you shouldnt have any problems.

tab0rda

Aug 23, 2013
did you do everything step by step as in cr3pts first post? if you did, you shouldnt have any problems.

Yes I did. I tried a few times and the end result was the same... I installed/flashed Carbon instead and everything is running smoothly :)
Now I just have to figure it out how to change the kernel, the one by Cr3pt talked on the Carbon thread is a boot.img file :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.