AIO VZW M8 Developer Resource Thread

Search This thread

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
Could we effectively turn an S-Off phone back to S-On by flashing hboot.IMG in fastboot mode? I plan to exchange this device due to an aesthetic manufacturing defect and would prefer to put things back to normal, or as much as I can.

I do plan to put back the stock recovery for sure, so thanks for putting these files together.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

whoshodade

Aug 27, 2010
stock recovery doesn't work

Hello all, I am trying to flash the stock recovery I downloaded in the beginning of this thread but when I push it thru using fastboot commands and reboot, I just get a red triangle with an exclamation... I can boot back into the bootloader and reflash with twrp 2.7.0.2 and its back to normal but that's not helpful. I've tried pushing the stock boot.img and still no dice unless I push twrp recovery. Any ideas? Did I miss something? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2014
How do you flash the recovery.img? I assumed it would be through fastboot with the line:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

but when I do it, it says " error: cannot open 'recovery.img' ".

I'm S-Off with CWM recovery
Any advice?

russellvone

Jan 26, 2013
Gilmer
How do you flash the recovery.img? I assumed it would be through fastboot with the line:

but when I do it, it says " error: cannot open 'recovery.img' ".

I'm S-Off with CWM recovery
Any advice?

make sure you the name of the recovery.img is indeed "recovery.img"

or make sure you use the recovery.img's name in the command i.e.......

if the name of the recovery is "twrp.img"

then it would look like this

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

teddyearp

Jul 27, 2009
ted.servepics.com
Hello all, I am trying to flash the stock recovery I downloaded in the beginning of this thread but when I push it thru using fastboot commands and reboot, I just get a red triangle with an exclamation... I can boot back into the bootloader and reflash with twrp 2.7.0.2 and its back to normal but that's not helpful. I've tried pushing the stock boot.img and still no dice unless I push twrp recovery. Any ideas? Did I miss something? Thanks!

I thought the red triangle with an exclamation was stock recovery.

Also, for the readers, you use adb to 'push' files, with fastboot you flash .img files. Fastboot does not 'push' anything.

Apr 1, 2014
make sure you the name of the recovery.img is indeed "recovery.img"

or make sure you use the recovery.img's name in the command i.e.......

if the name of the recovery is "twrp.img"

then it would look like this

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Yes, I have the name right. I even tried changing the name of the file (and changing the name in the cmd of course), yet still no luck.. Just in case it matters, I am using a Mac...

Reactions: russellvone

russellvone

Jan 26, 2013
Gilmer
Yes, I have the name right. I even tried changing the name of the file (and changing the name in the cmd of course), yet still no luck.. Just in case it matters, I am using a Mac...

could you post the readout from your command prompt?

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

like from start to finish

Apr 1, 2014
could you post the readout from your command prompt?

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

like from start to finish

adb reboot bootloader
error: cannot open 'recovery.img'

That's it. My device is connected, because when I do fastboot devices, i get
FA43ASF00049 fastboot

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
adb reboot bootloader
error: cannot open 'recovery.img'

That's it. My device is connected, because when I do fastboot devices, i get
FA43ASF00049 fastboot

I've seen this before for window users. I just throwing this out for you to try. When you rename a file in Windows in auto adds extension to know file. So if you renamed it to recovery.img it could really be recovery.img.img. I know it's like that when you rename a zip file in Windows. Try either re download it an not rename it an just flash or rename your current file just recovery an try that with regular commands

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Apr 1, 2014
I've seen this before for window users. I just throwing this out for you to try. When you rename a file in Windows in auto adds extension to know file. So if you renamed it to recovery.img it could really be recovery.img.img. I know it's like that when you rename a zip file in Windows. Try either re download it an not rename it an just flash or rename your current file just recovery an try that with regular commands

Yeah, I've tried re-downloading it with no luck... :(

Apr 1, 2014
2mo1pno.png

The recovery.img is in the platform-tools.. and I have tried re-downloading it.. Im really not sure what the problem is :(

EDIT: Im also not sure what the pipe properties error is about.. I don't think that was happening before, but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: Ok, I guess I'm good. I just did it again, this time using a different usb cable and a different usb port. Weird, but it appears to have worked. Thanks all who helped.

Last edited:

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
I am on 4.4.2 and trying to get to 4.4.4 when I download the ota it goes into twrp is there a way to get that firmware on my phone without ruu?
If you already have a custom recovery, why are you trying to install the OTA? Just download a 4.4.4-based rom and flash it in TWRP. I would also suggest that you read a little more about what you're doing so that you don't inadvertently mess up your phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Allright kids...with the release of a firewater S-OFF method for the VZW M8 apparently around the corner...I got a little antsy. I noticed we have no resources available when we do get the ability to play, so I decided to go ahead and put together a few things for those of you who will undoubtedly follow and want to start cooking your own ROMS.

Here's what I've got for you:

STOCK ROOTED/DEODEXED/BUSYBOX/INIT.D ENABLED/DEBLOATED ROM

So obviously, I can't test this yet. But I'd be astonished if it didn't work. This should be a fully rooted, fully flashable stock ROM you can use once we have S-off and a custom recovery. The boot.img has been modified to fix system write and add init.d support for all your scripting pleasures. All apks and jars have been deodexed and zipaligned.

In short, you should be able to use this for whatever creations you want out of the box once we are unlocked and running.

(not working yet, files for dev purposes only ATM)

ROM DOWNLOAD

Kernel Source

VZW-SPECIFIC/BLOAT APPS

This will be a separate .zip including all the stuff that just makes the ROM big and clunky. Devs can choose to re-add these to the ROM, but I will not distribute the bloatware with the stock ROM. If you want to grab an extra 500MB of crap...have at it.

DOWNLOAD HERE

COMPLETE PARTITION LIST

A full enumeration of the partitions on the VZW M8, along with their names. Useful for creating update scripts.

Gdoc
    CSV

STOCK RECOVERY/HBOOT/BOOT IMAGE

Because when you play, you sometimes need to fix things. Very possible I will upload a full dump as time permits, but for now, here are the basics should you screw something up once the doors are open...

Recovery.img
    Boot.img
    Hboot.img

Hopefully, this will not be seen as a placeholder thread. I've got the stock deodexed/rooted just about done...I just need the proper update-binary to make it usable when we have the ability to flash stuff. I will be keeping this updated with goodies as they are to be found. :D
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0OpOqUNqeKkWXI2S0RScmM1S0k&usp=sharing

Here is the link to the full directory of resources that I am uploading to in Drive. The stock rooted is about 72% uploaded, and the apps package will follow...but I'm lazy and feel like taking a nap. :D

Apps are not a flashable at this time...but then again, that really doesn't matter because we can't flash anything yet. They're just there to be added to the base ROM to make it the full system dump. Once we can actually flash, I will begin cataloging which apps can be further removed without any detriment to the system.
    Posted info you need in the other thread. Meant to post here.

Thanks, :good: Verizon hboots added to my OP over there...
    I posted some modified m8 hboots in the main m8 dev forums.
    If you guys can provide me the info I need for the info.txt, I can upload the vzw hboots I have done.
    Here's my thread over there.
    I really look forward to the M8 S-Off. I think this is the phone I will get my hands dirty with.