2014 PC Recommendations due to XP support ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
Greetings XDA'ers.

The support end date for XP is fast approaching. And like many, I've procrastinated my decision, hoping that some magical solution will appear.

Current setup, 2009 Compaq mini 110 1100dx netboox maxed to 2gbs ram running xp
2005 Dell Dimension E310 desktop also maxed to 2gbs ram running xp

Now I just discovered best buy has a deal where you get $75 off any laptop and a $25 gift card when trading in a xp laptop. I purchased my nebook for $179 from them on black friday 2009, so getting $100 for it without having to sell it on ebay seems like a decent deal. They do have a few chromebooks that are $199 but I'd rather not go the chromebook route if at all possible.

I have seen a few deals where you get a desktop pc running windows 7 for $80 shipped. That's about how much I would spend on a windows 7 license anyway. I mean truth be told I never anticipated either of these machines lasting this long. Their processors are pretty outdated but run day to day tasks just fine.

So give me your honest opinions! I've got them running service pack 3 and security essentials and norton security suite is installed. Should I just backup my data and take a chance? That way I could get a far better deal this november?

Btw both machines can run any version of windows, I ran the compatibility checker.

Thanks in advance,
Best,
jf

PS didnt I read somewhere that you can buy a super cheap copy of windows 7 without support for $50???

dimsar2013

May 20, 2013
Athens
Don't get a Chromebook!!!! I suggest you buying a freeDOS laptop. The price depends on hardware.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

3b6 4 ever

Apr 7, 2014
jubail
Windows 7 Home premium would be more than enough but be careful and verify that your PC hardware is compatible with System. check for hardware drivers before upgrading.

dimsar2013

May 20, 2013
Athens
Otherwise, choose a Windows/Linux version which responds at your system requirements.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
Thank you for the prompt replies!

What are your opinions on Ubuntu?

My brother suggested I try this free or low cost os. You can make a bootable DVD to test it out?

Both computers check out fine for win 7 hardware compatibility.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sideness

Jul 28, 2013
Paris
Well, it's about time! :p

You know, Windows 8 and 7 aren't that different. If you come from XP, you can directly go to W8. W8 license isn't that expensive too.
In terms of performance, I don't know what's better. My computer is a gaming computer so I don't see any difference.

Apr 5, 2014
sharpenergames.de
What are your opinions on Ubuntu?

My brother suggested I try this free or low cost os. You can make a bootable DVD to test it out?

If you don't have to use some windows specific applications Ubuntu is a great choice, and it is faster on low end devices than windows.

As far as I know you can boot the normal installation CD and click "Live CD" or similar, than you can test it without erasing your HDD.

hu_ciao

Mar 14, 2014
If you don't have to use some windows specific applications Ubuntu is a great choice, and it is faster on low end devices than windows.

As far as I know you can boot the normal installation CD and click "Live CD" or similar, than you can test it without erasing your HDD.

Two points for your consideration:

1. A WinXP user may prefer Mint (based on Ubuntu) as a replacement linux OS.

2. You can always run vbox with network support disabled to the XP virtual machine.

This way you can access MSWin apps in the familiar fashion. No internet means low security risk.
You still have to worry about USB and disc, of course.

Files and directories on the "host" (linux, in this example) can be read from the XP VM.
Mouse can copy/paste to from either OS feely.

Do a search and see. It's fun and only a bit of work.

April 8! Ooo...

kobe008

Mar 21, 2013
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Well, it's about time! :p

You know, Windows 8 and 7 aren't that different. If you come from XP, you can directly go to W8. W8 license isn't that expensive too.
In terms of performance, I don't know what's better. My computer is a gaming computer so I don't see any difference.

Where are these cheap W8 licenses? I'm looking to upgrade but would rather not spend $199 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.