Trade in M8 for S5

Search This thread
So, I am thinking about going to trade in my M8 for a S5 due to how horrible the radio is compared to my S4 on 3G, 4G and WiFi. I bought it at a Best Buy does anyone know would I have to exchange it there or can I do it at a Sprint store?

Also I am rooted with S-OFF I have a TWRP back up that is completely stock that I can flash. Will flashing that plus the modded hboot be enough for me to trade in without them voiding my warranty and not letting me trade?

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

-Apollo-

Mar 14, 2010
Tacoma
So, I am thinking about going to trade in my M8 for a S5 due to how horrible the radio is compared to my S4 on 3G, 4G and WiFi. I bought it at a Best Buy does anyone know would I have to exchange it there or can I do it at a Sprint store?

Also I am rooted with S-OFF I have a TWRP back up that is completely stock that I can flash. Will flashing that plus the modded hboot be enough for me to trade in without them voiding my warranty and not letting me trade?

You have to go through Best Buy being as it came from them, just as long as you're within 14 days of original purchase. As far as being rooted and everything else, they don't care! I've sold them back a few phones running custom ROMs. Pretty funny, last year I sold them an S3 running dazednconfused (awesome themer by the way) "Wicked Sensations" ROM. It said wicked sensations all over it, even the bootanimation, I figured they would have said something, but no! As long as it powers up they're good with it.Good luck

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
Have you seen the s5 yet? I'm here getting my m8 exchanged for hopefully one with a better working radio and they have the s5 here. I'm honestly not impressed with it at all. The m8 just feels so much more premium and touchwiz looks damn horrible . But to each his own

You have to go through Best Buy being as it came from them, just as long as you're within 14 days of original purchase. As far as being rooted and everything else, they don't care! I've sold them back a few phones running custom ROMs. Pretty funny, last year I sold them an S3 running dazednconfused (awesome themer by the way) "Wicked Sensations" ROM. It said wicked sensations all over it, even the bootanimation, I figured they would have said something, but no! As long as it powers up they're good with it.Good luck

I went to best buy and tried to trade mine in for another M8 and they didn't have any so then I was like screw it I'll try the GS5. They didn't have any of those either and no other stores in my area do either. Right now I am screwed because I have until Friday to exchange or return. I could return and buy a new one when it comes in stock but then I will have to pay CA tax on it which is tax on the full MSRP of $799 I bought the one I got in SC for $216 after tax vs $264 in CA

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008

Have you visited the gs5 forums? Believe me when I say the grass is definitely not greener on that side.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
Yea, I've been there too. Each phone suffers from the same problems. Chalk it up to Sprint not having their network ready for tri-band phones, and Google disabling extsdcard write support.

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Samsung has always had better radios than HTC, however my M8 has the best radio thus far over any of my other HTC phones. It still isn't as good as Samsung but it's decent. The only reason I would consider a GS5 would be for the camera. HTC needs to stop with the camera gimmiks and put one good sensor in the camera and be done with it. I think the GS5 is a nice phone, however anytime I have used a galaxy line phone I don't like it at all. It just feels cheap and I hate Touch Wiz. I actually really like HTC Sense. I have been using Sense since the windows mobile days. Samsung phones are by no means perfect, but I do think you will be happier with the radio & camera but that is about it. I don't think it's worth the trade off in my opinion. I have seen plenty of phones with hardware issues both HTC & Samsung are not perfect.

regalpimpin

Jun 21, 2010
Samsung has always had better radios than HTC, however my M8 has the best radio thus far over any of my other HTC phones. It still isn't as good as Samsung but it's decent. The only reason I would consider a GS5 would be for the camera. HTC needs to stop with the camera gimmiks and put one good sensor in the camera and be done with it. I think the GS5 is a nice phone, however anytime I have used a galaxy line phone I don't like it at all. It just feels cheap and I hate Touch Wiz. I actually really like HTC Sense. I have been using Sense since the windows mobile days. Samsung phones are by no means perfect, but I do think you will be happier with the radio & camera but that is about it. I don't think it's worth the trade off in my opinion. I have seen plenty of phones with hardware issues both HTC & Samsung are not perfect.

For a couple of years now the radios have been identical.. They're both using the built in qualcomm. Ever since the lte phones first started coming out. The exception would have been back when sprints 4g phones were wimax. And at that time, htc's were actually much much better then samsungs. Samsung was known for having bad radios.

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
For a couple of years now the radios have been identical.. They're both using the built in qualcomm. Ever since the lte phones first started coming out. The exception would have been back when sprints 4g phones were wimax. And at that time, htc's were actually much much better then samsungs. Samsung was known for having bad radios.
I should say radio performance has always been better on Samsung. My m7 compared to a GS4 or Note 3 the Samsung usually would have a lower dBm where my m7 would cut out the Samsung would hold an LTE signal better. The m8 has been much better than my m7 but I have never preferred radio performance on an HTC device versus a Samsung. Not to say I don't prefer HTC over Samsung. I have never liked the Galaxy phones, not to say they are not a nice phone.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
I should say radio performance has always been better on Samsung. My m7 compared to a GS4 or Note 3 the Samsung usually would have a lower dBm where my m7 would cut out the Samsung would hold an LTE signal better. The m8 has been much better than my m7 but I have never preferred radio performance on an HTC device versus a Samsung. Not to say I don't prefer HTC over Samsung. I have never liked the Galaxy phones, not to say they are not a nice phone.

Keep in mind that the S5 has the same TriBand Qualcomm Chip and Radio as the M8 and probably very similar firmware as well.

I suspect a "Working" M8 will run very similar to an S5.

Granted some M8's are not working correctly.

It's also extremely painful to get an M8 swapped out if you are over 14 days.

I had an S5 in my hands and brought home but stupid BestBuy sales clerk sold me a Verizon. In that time span I decided I prefer stay with the Devil I Know and got another M8.

If you are under 14days and you are having Network issues on an M8. SWAP IT OUT IMMEDIATELY.

New M8 is night and day working better. But I am very worried long term how it will hold up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I debated trading mine in for the gs5, but I decided that I like the m8 better all around.