[WARNING] Samsung 4.0.4 firmwares (Official / Leaked) may lead to HARDBRICK

Search This thread

DaReDeViL

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 15, 2009
Rabat
Samsung Galaxy S23
To all of i9100 users having flashed the latest 4.0.4 firmware (Official / Leaked) with stock kernel, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase data/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here ... and the number is growing ...

Actually confirmed firmwares having the emmc bug :
XXLQ5/6/7/B - ZCLPL - XWLPM/O/T/U - MUGLD3‎(?)

Here's how to BRICK your phone :
-Flash the 4.0.4 firmware with/without its pit file
-Use any 4.0.4 based kernel - stock or modified (ex cf-root)
-Go to cwm and do a wipe data & wipe cache and/or perform a nandroid restore of any previous firmware
=> The process begins normally but it may/will switch off at any time without waking up ever again !!!!!

Symptoms of 4.0.4 HARDBRICK :
-Phone dead
-No power up
-No boot
-No download mode (odin mode)
-No charging (usb/ac)
-Not detectable by pc / jtag
-Usb jig & jtag useless
-With battery(charged) inserted, phone(off) gets hot near the camera lens
-JUST A PIECE OF PLASTIC !!!!
-You feel really stupid about trying all this new stuff

And now here's how to avoid 4.0.4 hardbrick :
-DO NOT flash any stock 4.0.4 firmware ;)
-If on 4.0.4 stock firmware, keep away from stock kernel (ex: use siyah kernel or latest speedmod)
-Use "eMMC Brickbug Check" app to verify whether you have an insane ship or not
-Backup your apps (titanium backup) and backup all (cwm) and copy all data from internal sdcard
-DO NOT wipe any partition or data
-Flash any official 4.0.3 stock firmware in download mode via odin (do not use mobile odin)
-Do not get tempted again by any unsafe leaked or official firmware !!!

Downgrade from 4.0.4 :
-Reboot the phone in download mode (Home+Vol.Down+Power)
-Use Odin to flash a safe kernel (ex. siyah) then reboot to cwm (Home+Vol.Up+Power)
-Optionally do a nandroid backup then perform a data wipe/factory reset
-Use advanced menu in cwm to reboot in download mode to flash your preferred "safe" firmware

While waiting for someone to find a way to revive such bricked phones, I hope you guys take care of your precious S2, you only know its value when it's gone ;)

Last edited:

protomanez

Aug 26, 2009
I'm Up There Eh?
To all of i9100 users having flashed the leaked 4.0.4 firmware, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase date/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here

Let's just hope someone finds a way to revive such bricked phones

Thanks for the heads up mate!

Reactions: jaydvn and annie42

drelite08

Nov 29, 2010
I used nandroid to do a restore after messing with mods and it didn't brick.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Reactions: jaydvn

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
So, is there any safe way to get LQ5 downgraded to LPG?

I have been running LQ5, but this has me a little worried.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

I used nandroid to do a restore after messing with mods and it didn't brick.

You were on LPQ and did a nandroid restore to LPG? (or what version was the restore?)

drelite08

Nov 29, 2010
I'm on LQ5. It has both restored to LPS (new argo one) back up and a second back up I made before trying the mods. Both were fine. Using Phenom 5.5 medium.

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
So, is it the manual formatting of the partitions or the nandroid restore that causes this?

bundi22

Jan 10, 2011
i flashed LQ5 4.0.4 with odin, tried it out for 20 mins, then flashed latest fluxi through odin, then restored CM9 backup. all good for me

M

m.kochan10

I've run LQ5, full wiped, restored nand backups several times today without any problems, but maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, time to run Odin, apologize LPG and wait for official. Don't wanna risk the brick.

graemeg

Dec 16, 2011
Dumfries and Galoway
this is good work, Well done author for speaking out, too many senior members flying round this forum banging on about how good a rom this is and that its legite, im sorry you bricked your phone, i hope you revive it.
I DIDNT flash this, because i saw the 8gb pit file and immediatley alarm bells rang out, that is not the stock samsung pit file, and i argued this with someone who insisted it was all legite, i know u dont need to use the pit file anyway, but the fact remained if the pit file was dodgy, the rest could have been, so i avoided it, and im glad i did.

This happened with a rom and kernel for ics on the galaxy note, UNFORTUNATLEY the phones were hard bricked when they did a cwm wipe and even a jtag service could not revive them.

FOR ANYONE whos flashed and done a nandroid, restore it, DO NOT DO A WIPE, and run ya restore and keep to oit for now, for anyone who didnt do a restore then im very sorry for yous, but i dont think there will be a fix, it usually requires a new mainboard, anyone who hasnt flashed this yet, ignore ALL OF THE other posts youve read about how good this rom is, DONT EVEN go there, avoid LQ5 if you can.

I really hope a fix can be found for you all.

Reactions: Peninsula_

angelomaldito

May 26, 2011
To all of i9100 users having flashed the leaked 4.0.4 firmware, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase date/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here

Let's just hope someone finds a way to revive such bricked phones

It WILL NOT brick your phone" it MAY brick your phone, i think that would be more precise, as I've restored LPG via CWM (after flashing CF-Root LPG on LQ5 firmware, as CF-Root LQ5 wasn't available yet). After CF-Root LQ5 was made available and I've learned that flashing LQ5 with Mobile Odin and unchecking "data" it wouldn't wipe my apps, then I've flashed LQ5 with the respective CF-Root and now I'm enjoying contact tabs on phone apk (as it was once upon a time on GB) and favourite contacts viewed as list instead of two column grid ;-) Ah, and no bugs so far!

Therefore, no problems here regarding LQ5 and restoring 4.03 with CWM.

PS.: I didn't used the included .PIT file. Did you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: graemeg

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
It WILL NOT brick your phone" it MAY brick your phone, i think that would be more precise, as I've restored LPG via CWM (after flashing CF-Root LPG on LQ5 firmware, as CF-Root LQ5 wasn't available yet). After CF-Root LQ5 was made available and I've learned that flashing LQ5 with Mobile Odin and unchecking "data" it wouldn't wipe my apps, then I've flashed LQ5 with the respective CF-Root and now I'm enjoying contact tabs on phone apk (as it was once upon a time on GB) and favourite contacts viewed as list instead of two column grid ;-) Ah, and no bugs so far!

Therefore, no problems here regarding LQ5 and restoring 4.03 with CWM.

PS.: I didn't used the included .PIT file. Did you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

The thing I'm noticing here is that when people have manually formatted partitions via CWM or included the PIT file, they have experienced this bug.

My S2 has the bugged emmc chip, according to Chainfire's "got brick bug?" app, but mine flashed fine. I wonder if it was because I did not format partitions, nor did I use the pit file. I flashed via Mobile Odin.

DaReDeViL

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 15, 2009
Rabat
Samsung Galaxy S23
@ angelomaldito : You're right, the LQ5 will NOT AUTOMATICALLY brick your phone but it may EVENTUALLY happen !!!! At least in my case, I first flashed the LQ5 rom then flashed the latest and correct CF-root and then went back to cwm and wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache and launched a nandroid restore, which stopped in the middle of the process leaving me with a S2 unresponsive and maybe hard bricked for good !!!
This said, the exact scenario happend to a lot of people, i'm not the only one. LOGICALLY, if it's reproductible then it's not a bad manipulation but a SERIOUS PROBLEM that must be dealt with !!!!!!!

Edit : First post made clearer (Will => May) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: graemeg

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
@ angelomaldito : You're right, the LQ5 will NOT AUTOMATICALLY brick your phone but it may EVENTUALLY happen !!!! At least in my case, I first flashed the LQ5 rom then flashed the latest and correct CF-root and then went back to cwm and wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache and launched a nandroid restore, which stopped in the middle of the process leaving me with a S2 unresponsive and maybe hard bricked for good !!!
This said, the exact scenario happend to a lot of people, i'm not the only one. LOGICALLY, if it's reproductible then it's not a bad manipulation but a SERIOUS PROBLEM that must be dealt with !!!!!!!

Edit : First post made clearer (Will => May) ;)

So, probably, the best option would be to Odin back to 4.0.3 and then restore nandroid backup from there?

tariq2kn

May 8, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22
Samsung Galaxy S23
I have flashed lq5 through odin without repartitioning/.pit.
I haven't flashed cwm & am using the stock kernel.
It's working smooth since I flashed, no issues.

It seems to me that the wipe from cwm seems to be bricking the phone.

buxz777

Jun 22, 2011
same thing happend a while back with a siyah kernel based on a samsung source that could brick your phones if you wiped or factory reset in cwm

i think the advice then was to go to a cm9 firmware with cm9 kernel as its safe without wiping , then flash through odin a safe stock firmware like lpg for example

apparently this doesnt effect cm9 kernels so anyone scared of bricking should maybeflash that then work from there to avoid bricking

there is more here https://plus.google.com/111398485184813224730/posts/21pTYfTsCkB

M

marcellocord

You guys are totally late... Want some kickass 4.0.4 that will never brick your phone? Yeah, you know what I mean :p

But seriously. That's the problem with leaked ROMs, in G Note was the same thing. I made a bad call flashing it to test, didn't like it, bad performance, and then, restored nandroid. PS: didn't brick. But was wasted time and was dangerous

Last edited:

goolby

Feb 8, 2010
Baia Mare
I always flash to SpeedMod K2-21 kernel and restart recovery before i wipe/flash my phone whit new rom, so no risck here because i know that SpeedMod is safe !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To all of i9100 users having flashed the latest 4.0.4 firmware (Official / Leaked) with stock kernel, PLEASE BE AWARE that using cwm to erase data/factory reset OR to restore a nandroid backup MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE !!!! Trust me, I just got mine bricked and by searching a litlle bit I discovered I'm not the only one -> see here and here ... and the number is growing ...

Actually confirmed firmwares having the emmc bug :
    XXLQ5/6/7/B - ZCLPL - XWLPM/O/T/U - MUGLD3‎(?)

Here's how to BRICK your phone :
    -Flash the 4.0.4 firmware with/without its pit file
    -Use any 4.0.4 based kernel - stock or modified (ex cf-root)
    -Go to cwm and do a wipe data & wipe cache and/or perform a nandroid restore of any previous firmware
    => The process begins normally but it may/will switch off at any time without waking up ever again !!!!!

Symptoms of 4.0.4 HARDBRICK :
    -Phone dead
    -No power up
    -No boot
    -No download mode (odin mode)
    -No charging (usb/ac)
    -Not detectable by pc / jtag
    -Usb jig & jtag useless
    -With battery(charged) inserted, phone(off) gets hot near the camera lens
    -JUST A PIECE OF PLASTIC !!!!
    -You feel really stupid about trying all this new stuff

And now here's how to avoid 4.0.4 hardbrick :
    -DO NOT flash any stock 4.0.4 firmware ;)
    -If on 4.0.4 stock firmware, keep away from stock kernel (ex: use siyah kernel or latest speedmod)
    -Use "eMMC Brickbug Check" app to verify whether you have an insane ship or not
    -Backup your apps (titanium backup) and backup all (cwm) and copy all data from internal sdcard
    -DO NOT wipe any partition or data
    -Flash any official 4.0.3 stock firmware in download mode via odin (do not use mobile odin)
    -Do not get tempted again by any unsafe leaked or official firmware !!!

Downgrade from 4.0.4 :
    -Reboot the phone in download mode (Home+Vol.Down+Power)
    -Use Odin to flash a safe kernel (ex. siyah) then reboot to cwm (Home+Vol.Up+Power)
    -Optionally do a nandroid backup then perform a data wipe/factory reset
    -Use advanced menu in cwm to reboot in download mode to flash your preferred "safe" firmware

While waiting for someone to find a way to revive such bricked phones, I hope you guys take care of your precious S2, you only know its value when it's gone ;)
    You can find so many good customized firmware compilations out there :). But because of so many asking for a safe all-in-one stock package I decided to share my stock ROM variant.

I've repackaged the stock GT-I9100 XWLQ2 firmware with CSC NEELP6 and hardcore's SpeedMod K3-32 kernel and the old GB jig-resettable bootloader ready to flash via Odin thus beeing pure stock (no theme no root no nothing) but safe because hardcore disabled MMC_CAP_ERASE functionality in his kernel. The jig-resettable bootloader will do it's job to get rid of the yellow triangle too ;) . This package works fine for me. It is non-wipe.

Flash it via PC Odin WITHOUT doing any wipe before (for safety reasons regardless what version you're coming from). After you've finished installation, you can do any wipe in SpeedMod kernel's included CWM. And of cause: DO YOUR BACKUPS before you try this package, I'm not responsible for any inconvenience ...

• If you like: After installing the firmware package you can root it flashing this SU-BB-Tweaks-XWLQ2-signed.zip from internal or external SD-Card via CWM. It contains ChainsDD's SuperUser.apk 3.1.3 and BusyBox 1.20.2 plus some minor tweaks (battery indicator, emo icons).

On request: the original XWLQ2 bootloader is here if someone wants to flash it in favor of the provided old GB jig-resettable one. Doing so won't increase your digital binary counter but will require another solution (Chainfire's Triangle Away) if you need to reset the counter in the future.

25.11.2012:
    Updated stock ROM XWLQ2 with CSC NEELP6 and SpeedMod kernel K3-32. Also updated original bootloader and SU/Busybox zip package to XWLQ2.

28.10.2012:
    Updated stock ROM XWLPY with CSC NEELP6 and SpeedMod kernel K3-32.

20.10.2012:
    Updated stock ROM XWLPY with CSC NEELP5 and SpeedMod kernel K3-31. Also updated original bootloader to XWLPY. New: added SU/Busybox zip package to be flashed via CWM.

07.09.2012:
    Updated stock ROM XWLPX with CSC NEELP5 and SpeedMod kernel K3-31. Also updated original bootloader to XWLPX.

26.08.2012:
    Updated stock ROM XWLPU with CSC NEELP5 and SpeedMod kernel K3-31. Also updated original bootloader to XWLPU.

09.08.2012:
    hardcore released SpeedMod kernel K3-31 I'm using for two days now. I updated my custom package with the new kernel today.
    My thought was to use riffbox to clear everything on the chip, the whole partition layout and such, then repartition the chip, install bootloader etc.
    I wrote earlier that I'm able to tart the phone in recovery mode, only all I see onscreen is the s2 logo, but adb kinda works, it auto-reboots after appr. 3-4 minutes.
    But I'm able to start several utils trought adb such as parted.
    Only thing is that the phone hangs and reboots a minute later :p
    If, and I say IF, it is just a corrupted partition table, and not phycial errors, it should be possible to recover from this error with jtag and nand wr directly, my experience with the riffbox is that It doesn't use recovery mode or download mode, it reads/writes the nand/emmc directly.
    I found a video on youtube where they recovered a s2 with emmc bug, but lame ass me forgot to save the link, this is why I orderd a molex port, jtag adapter and such.

But off course, correct me if I'm wrong and you can prove something else ;)
    If you've suffered from the Superbrick bug due to wiping on an affected kernel, it is not a corrupted partition table. It's low-level damage to the internal structures of the eMMC chip that is well known to be unrecoverable via JTAG. (Josh at mobiletechvideos.com apparently gets 3-5 devices damaged like this per day - he can't repair them.)

From the perspective of the CPU, the chip has a large chunk of physical damage to a memory region that is close to the partition that was wiped in size and location. (So wiping data usually leaves a bootable device, wiping /system will often hit the bootloader with "splash damage".) Any attempt to touch those regions will hang it.

The good news is that it isn't really physical damage even though it behaves like physical damage - it's such low-level data corruption that the methods for repairing it are not part of the JEDEC eMMC standard - they're Samsung vendor-specific commands which are currently undocumented. The hope is that in a week and a half, I will be receiving documentation on these commands from the Samsung engineers I'm meeting with.
    what was the story youve sold to service center ???

Samsung and Google are well aware of this issue since May and are working on a fix since, but as they said fix is being developed and needs extensive testing and who knows how long could it take

so as much your initiative is ok ... it is completley useless as Samsung is well aware of chips that they ordered and witch of those are affected.
    got also all the information on what causes this issue - now they just need to develop a stable working fix and push it public

or maybe they did their numbers and it came out that percent of the devices/mb/chips affected is ok to just handle it via service center repairs

oh, and they well know that it is a isue wit stock samung recovery or whatever you call it - the one that comes with firmware - so your source is hmm wierd :)

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

ref -> plus.google.com/111398485184813224730/posts/21pTYfTsCkB
    Well, you're apparently quite clueless, since the contacts at Samsung referenced in that post ARE the ones I'm talking to.

And no, they are NOT aware that people are suffering damage in stock recovery. They believe that it is totally safe, and have asked me to try and find devices that have suffered damage from stock recovery for analysis. I've passed 3 reports to them so far, but if there are two reports of stock XWLPM doing damage, that's more evidence that nonsecure erase isn't as safe as they think it is.

Also, XXLQ5 is evidence that they, unfortunately, have not been working as hard on the fix as claimed... I've indicated to my contacts that the XDA community is extremely disappointed with this recent development. We were told one thing back in May, but the results with XXLQ5 are the exact opposite - instead of having fixes deployed, a previously safe device has been put in danger.
    Ok but folks: what about the solution.... Is the affected chip version 0x19 upgradeable by software to 0x25 which is supposed to have the issue addressed? This is what I wish to know if is even possible

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Possible? Yes, however the process fully wipes the chip. In addition, Samsung considers that information to be even more proprietary than the reset-without-upgrade sequence, which alone is proving difficult to get.

The underlying bug can be rendered a non-issue by protecting the chip from ever seeing dangerous commands (which is why I9100 kernels previous to this one were safe). I am extremely disappointed in Samsung in that they claimed to be working on deploying a fix for this issue, but took a previously unaffected device and added the trigger conditions to its kernel.